Skyrim or TSW?

Which game will keep me busy until August 25th? Or any other RPGs you guys can recommend? I have a 3DS a gaming PC and an XBOX.

Skyrim will keep you incredibly busy. Obscene amount of content in that game.

Its not out yet... I have heard good reviews for kingdom hearts 3ds though on 3ds. Its coming later this month I think.

Skyrim, imo. But be sure to get it for PC and get some graphical/environment mods. Mods is what makes the TES games the best, in my opinion. especially the character, environment and graphical mods.

You can easily put 50 hours in that game, and still find a ton of new things when you make a new character. (Unless you follow the exact same path of course.)

Why August 25th? What could possibly be happening on August 25th?!?

(kidding)

Yeah Skyrim can keep you busy for ages. Get it for the PC though, so you can play around with the mods once you're done with vanilla.

I support the trend of Skyrim on your PC. My copy is on PS3 and has bugs up the ass, but I still manage to have fun with it. Gotta scrape some cash together to get in on that master race business.

irmasterlol:
I support the trend of Skyrim on your PC. My copy is on PS3 and has bugs up the ass, but I still manage to have fun with it. Gotta scrape some cash together to get in on that MASTER RACE business.

Gasp! Indy, after fighting them for all those adventures, you succumb to the Nazis so easily! For shame.

OK, I'm missing something, what IS coming Aug 25?

And Skyrim. I've got well over 200 hours into it, and still find new stuff.

Having played 100+ hours of Skyrim and playing TSW for hours on end the last few days, I think both games have merit. Although they are quite different from each other on the surface, in essence I think someone who likes the one can find a lot to like in the other. Both have plenty of stories to tell, wicked evil to destroy, and wierd ol' people to listen to ...

In terms of time investment, you'll easily spend 50+ hours on both. In Skyrim you're on your own, and the world will bow to your actions. TSW until now has shown the usual mix of people you expect in an MMO, but in general the game encourages working together and solving problems and missions through co-operation. A lot of players have been very open to that.

Both games have their issues, but that is nothing that patches and add-ons can't fix in the long run. You will have to decide if you want the (not-so) lonesome hero adventure, or the social experience.

Oh, and you'll be hearing about arrows to the knee in both, so that's no help ...

*sigh* I hate to be this person, but... what the crap are you talking about? Please, people, for the sake of those who have NO idea what you're talking about, please use the full name and not just the acronym at LEAST once.

Kimarous:
*sigh* I hate to be this person, but... what the crap are you talking about? Please, people, for the sake of those who have NO idea what you're talking about, please use the full name and not just the acronym at LEAST once.

TSW = The Secret World (or at least I assume so)

OP: definitely Skyrim, especially if you're going PC, the vanilla game will net you at least 100 hours of enjoyment I'd guess, I still have not done everything in it myself.. Then there is also the mods, which are really starting to flow now, and with the Steam Workshop, modding your game has become even easier.

Assuming TSW is The Secret World it should last you a hell of a lot longer than Skyrim.
Personally I won't touch it. Funcom betrayed my trust too many times with AoC.

WoW Killer:

(kidding)

So what does happen on August 25th? What are you hiding from meeee?!

on august 25th guild wars 2 is officially released for those who prepurchased the game... and on the 28th it comes out for the rest of the world.

DanielBrown:
Assuming TSW is The Secret World it should last you a hell of a lot longer than Skyrim.
Personally I won't touch it. Funcom betrayed my trust too many times with AoC.

WoW Killer:

(kidding)

So what does happen on August 25th? What are you hiding from meeee?!

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's the day Dark Souls is coming out for PC.
OT: SKYRIM! GET IT! IT'S SO FUN. Also, the mods will keep giving you more reasons to live... I mean play.

Skyrim
I have over 570 hours so far into Skyrim, and there's still a ton of quests to do. I just downloaded the DawnGuard content last week but haven't even began it yet. I've been playing since Christmas day; just over six months so far. Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amular are great too; they're on my stack of games to go through, along with Zelda: Skyward Sword ( which is amazing as well!). I definitely plan on playing The Secret World as I've been following that game for almost two years now.
Have fun and enjoy!!

In my opinion, Skyrim's a better action-based, fantasy epic tale that appeals to those seeking adventure of heroic (or villainous) actions, while TSW carves an interesting tale out of a somewhat crazy premise. I liked Skyrim more though, because while TSW had an interesting story, concept and some pretty damn cool puzzles, quests and enemies, the combat was just flat out boring. It brought me back to the days of World of Warcraft, except I enjoyed fighting in World of Warcraft more. Because of the lacking combat, the enemies some less of challenges and more like nuisances, ala Minecraft mobs, except you're expected to fight actively alot more than you would in a game like Minecraft.

Dragons Dogma.

I got tired of skyrim pretty quickly. It looks pretty and there's a lot to explore but the rewards never satisfied me. Leveling up didn't give you too many skills to play around with and the item rewards were usually outclassed by your current equipment. If you like exploration for the sake of exploration maybe, but i could never get myself to go out because i didn't have the incentive to.

There's another problem i have with the game but i don't know how to describe it. Have you ever seen those really early 3d ARPGs like elder scrolls: daggerfall or ultima underworld? It feels like skyrim took its combat mechanics out of them. The story didn't keep me very interested either. I'm tired of being the chosen one. I'd rather be a normal guy who got picked because i was awesome at something. I did like quite a bit of the side quests stories though.

I like dragons dogma because it's trying to be a unique new IP. The story pretty much dissapears for most of the game but it's definitely interesting and the ending almost makes up for the rest of it. The world, while a lot smaller, has a good amount of pleasant surprises and entertaining fights, and it's combat is 100x better taking ideas from SOTC, the souls series, and more. The game is much better at maintaining atmosphere too.

They're both good games but i don't find skyrim nearly as good as people say it is. The only reason i buy elder scrolls games nowadays is because i like messing with mods. I spent a lot more time with dragons dogma.

I just finished with my first character in Skyrim and logged a little over 192 hours. So, definitely Skyrim. There is a huge amount to do in that game, particularly if you take the time to explore the vast environment and do some of the side quests and miscellaneous objectives.

Burst6:
Dragons Dogma.

I got tired of skyrim pretty quickly. It looks pretty and there's a lot to explore but the rewards never satisfied me. Leveling up didn't give you too many skills to play around with and the item rewards were usually outclassed by your current equipment.

There's another problem i have with the game but i don't know how to describe it. Have you ever seen those really early 3d ARPGs like elder scrolls: daggerfall or ultima underworld? It feels like skyrim took its combat mechanics out of them. The story didn't keep me very interested either. I'm tired of being the chosen one. I'd rather be a normal guy who got picked because i was awesome at something. I did like quite a bit of the side quests stories though.

Dragons dogma on the other hand tries to be very unique. The story pretty much dissapears for most of the game but it's definitely unique. The world, while a lot smaller, has a good amount of pleasant surprises and entertaining fights, and it's combat is 100x better. The game is much better at maintaining atmosphere too.

They're both good games but i don't find skyrim nearly as good as people say it is. The only reason i buy elder scrolls games nowadays is because i like messing with mods. I spent a lot more time with dragons dogma.

From what i've played of Dragons Dogma, i will admit there were a few issues i had with it.

1. There are a few issues with some of the Pawns just not shutting up and uttering the same stuff over again. Although, thankfully the game was kind enough to add in a 'kick' function to the game so...if they got to vocal i found it shut them up: Plus it fits with my portrayal of my Arisen as an old asshole.

2. Admittedly, while i don't mind the lack of fast travel (The crystals don't count cause they're so damned pricey), the fact there isn't any means of transport around this world outside of your own two feet is a bit glaring and can make the game a bit tedious. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't have stables or actual carts/mounted animals in the game you can't bloody use. This could have been fixed by a sort of transport cart that could take you to the capital for a fee or even just allow for our character to buy a horse to ride at some point....or hell, if they wanted to be unique: GIANT BOAR!

That said, i found the combat, especially against bosses and bigger monsters to be ALOT of fun and it's something i would love to see more of. This seems to be a good concept and series that capcom seems to be sitting on (Huh, i'm actually praising modern day capcom...it really MUST be the end days), and if they were to refine it in a possible sequel we could have a damned good game and sequel not unlike Assassins Creed 2 was to Assassins Creed 1.

If TSW is the secret world, then I would say, yes, go with that. Even if it IS an MMO, at least it is something different, especially if youve played a Bethesda game within the last half decade because pretty much if youve played one, youve damned near played them all.

Obviously, by Aug 25th, you are refering to Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, and if so, yes, Its logical to play inferior products to tide you over till something superior is available

Infernai:
/snip

1) yeah the pawns are annoying. To up the challenge of the game i just keep my main pawn and tell her to talk less. You know, if you level an assassin to rank 9 you can get an augment that encourages you to throw your main pawn off of a cliff and go solo. do the moldy carrot trick to rack up easy money. All my complaints about fast travel went ou

2) I never found ferrystones really that expensive. The merchant fournival sells 3 a day for 10k each and the game pretty much throws money at you. If you want you could even t the window when i found the port stone and had a constant supply of ferrystones with me.

Oh and a free ferrystone appears by the port crystals next to the pawns guild every i think 7 days.

Also, I love Nier!

Bah, the secret world. I dont mind mediocre MMOs charging stupid subscription fees, what I DO mind is the actual interesting ones not only charging stupid subscription fees, but also charging the same number of dollars as euros.

Apparentelly my continent is easier to rip off than the american one?

Realy now 15 a month, that 5 euros less than my entire internet connection costs.

Gordon Freemonty:
Skyrim will keep you incredibly busy. Obscene amount of content in that game.

I must be unaware of this strange meaning of "content". But I suppose if I open a box of cereal I just bought to find sawdust, I'd have to say it was filled with content too.

Dragon's Dogma is sick! Skyrim is fun but the combat can't hold a candle to Dragon's Dogma. I just killed the online Ur Dragon last night for the first time! *puffs chest* Got me some epic loot! I got a rare mask that looks like the phantom of the opera as well as a full abyssal set and an enormous mace called Angel's Fist. Pretty cool!

Burst6:
Dragons Dogma.

I got tired of skyrim pretty quickly. It looks pretty and there's a lot to explore but the rewards never satisfied me. Leveling up didn't give you too many skills to play around with and the item rewards were usually outclassed by your current equipment. If you like exploration for the sake of exploration maybe, but i could never get myself to go out because i didn't have the incentive to.

I like dragons dogma because it's trying to be a unique new IP. The story pretty much dissapears for most of the game but it's definitely interesting and the ending almost makes up for the rest of it. The world, while a lot smaller, has a good amount of pleasant surprises and entertaining fights, and it's combat is 100x better taking ideas from SOTC, the souls series, and more. The game is much better at maintaining atmosphere too.

I totally agree. While I do enjoy Skyrim, it has it's fair share of problems. Yeah, the world is big and impressive, but it also comes at a cost. The story is forgettable, and the characterization is pretty weak throughout. This is why I tend to like smaller, more "focused" RPG's instead of the mammoth iterations from Bethesda. Having hundreds of quests isn't all that impressive when the quests themselves are boring and the loot is shit. Gone are the feelings of old where finding a chest actually brought some excitement and usefulness. It's like the old saying goes; big isn't always better. And yeah, the combat in Skyrim is surprisingly clunky and dull, the complete opposite of Dragon's Dogma actually.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked