Saddest Moments in Gaming

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

What are some of the most heart-wrenching moments you've experienced while playing a game. Moments that have made you feel connected to the game, made you feel an emotional response, maybe even made you shed some tears.

For me Journey was moving in its entirety. I can't really put it into words. Along with that:

I think that I can easily say that Aerith's death in final fantasy 7 was the saddest moment that I've come across in gaming. Dom's death as well in gears of war 3 was also very hard to get through.

Ninja'd

Aerith's death in FF7 is one of the first moments in a game where I was genuinely sad. I had to set my controller down for a little bit after that.

More recently though, MGS3: Snake Eater. That is one of my all time favorite endings to a game.

OP, don't you go forgetting about Mordin. His name's on the wall for a reason. That man was a damn hero.

This is nowhere near the saddest moment in video games and I have played other games that should have made me sadder but for some reason (perhaps it was just the mood I was in at the time) the only thing in a game that has ever had me in tears was the neutral ending for bioshock 2. Specifically when she says "But father, wherever you are...I miss you."

Arrgh my emotions make no sense sometimes. I watch it now and I even find it all that sad.

Infamous 2 - Good Ending.

In a less serious sense, the current state of Military FPS games.

Rule of Rose Just... Just Rule of Rose. There is nothing happy about the story in that game. The entire game is just sad, disturbing and utterly depressing in the end. It's dark, but also very beautiful at the same time, so I'd say it's an excellent choice.

Also, I thought Clock Tower 3 had some very emotional moments to it with the various people you "save" throughout the game. I guess they were a bit more "heartwarmingly sad", and the game did handle it well for the most part.

And one more, from Dead Rising:

And Shadow of the Colossus. You know why.

We've had this thread before, but I'll just leave you this: Ending of HL2: Ep2

DementedSheep:
snip

You are from Yathzee's evil ninja clan aren't you?

Anyway my next one would be this

It may not look much but it was heavy man

I don't have to think these ones for long:
Red Dead Redemption

Kingdom Hearts

Recently someone reminded me of the ending to FFVII: Crisis core, poor Zack.

John Marston's death in Red Dead Redemption
Metal Gear Solid 3: The whole ending... *sniff*
Metal Gear Solid 4: Big Boss's death

A memorable moment while playing Planescape Torment was when I learned what one of the Nameless One's incarnations did to Ignus in the past. I was so deep in the story at that point and identified myself with TNO that I was appalled and disgusted by myself. Rather intense that one.

Ok, I have kind of an off the wall one. Yes Aeris' death (can't help it, both my copies, pc and ps1, say Aeris and as long as I live so shall I) was HUGE I agree. But the thing that affected me the most... Wing Commander 3.

The game had already hit you with the death of a companion that went back to the series beginning.

And just one chapter later reveal the identity of the traitor that's been betraying you since the beginning of the series. And here's what made it so sad and hit home so hard for me.

He was the ONLY one I trusted totally and completely and KNEW could NOT be the traitor. It was like finding out a really good friend is in actuality a clone of Hitler. The game gives you the "choice" of letting him fly away, or disobeying orders and chasing him down and vape him for the bastard pretending to be your friend while actually quietly ruining your life for the last several years.

Guess what I did? And after a few seconds of pathetic stunned silence, I began screaming (what probably could not be understood as the swearing that it was in my head) and chased the SOB down. Which was bad for 2 reasons. 1. In your abscense the Kilrathi attack and you lose 3 rookie pilots you are responsible for. And 2. IRL at the time I was in college and lived in the dorms. My RA poked his head in a few minutes later to see if I was all right, and I got some funny looks at dinner later.

I have never had a videogame provoke such an emotional response from me (I don't get controller breaking frustrated over difficulty and most videogame stories are rudimentary or simple enough that I can't get THAT into it.) But this one did. I followed this series from it's earliest (now painfully dated) beginnings until it's (and seemingly the whole fricken genre's) unfortunate demise. I love space combat sim, and HotT adding full motion movie and story (and a compelling one) to the mix made it very memorable. Gameplay wise... it's no TIE Fighter. And Freespace 2 and StarLancer make it look very un-pretty.

But it's still one of my favorites. Yes, for making me sadder and angrier than I ever had been at a game.

These threads and the "How much sex have you had" threads. I swear, they are made and remade bi-weekly. I'm getting miffed.

OT: Red Dead Redemption and InFamous 2.

"I am the very model of a scientist Salarian . . . "

Ghonzor:

I will see your [spoiler] which also made me tear up and raise you...

XcrossX:

OP, don't you go forgetting about Mordin. His name's on the wall for a reason. That man was a damn hero.

DAAAAMNNN YYYOOOUUU NNIINNJJAASS!

But yeah Mordins end made me tear up as well

Easton Dark:
These threads and the "How much sex have you had" threads. I swear, they are made and remade bi-weekly. I'm getting miffed.

I honestly thought it was a necrobump of the one a couple weeks ago, until none of the posts looked familiar. Aeris, Red Dead Redemption (and organically through gameplay, not cutscene at that) and the new Walking Dead adventure games are turning out to be some well written and executed stuff...they've been emotionally gripping so far.

Cause I saw this thread countless of time in other Forums, I will answer with a different game:

Saya no Uta

Aside from I believe the recent Silent Hill and Resident Evil games much take a lesson from this game for a "unique" meaning of the horror, I cry a lot from two ending this game have [it have hree endings].

At some point you know all these are wrong, but your "feeling" say to you, that all the actions the hero made was right........in a mysterious way...Even in the ending I should normally cry.....but...but.........GOD DAMMIT the game make my heart to break into tiny little pieces....

Hmmm. Infamous 2's good ending, Mordin's death in ME3 (oh, come on, this isn't a spoiler any more!) the ending to Final Fantasy VII: crisis core and the endings to Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon Red/Bluerescue team and Explorers of Time/Darkness. Why can't the writing in the main Pokemon games be as good as the spinoffs!?

It may be a testament to how few games I have actually played that I to choose Mass Effect 3, though a different scene.

The moment after the credits if you pick the refusal ending. It's a different kind of sad then the other sad moments in Mass Effect... sad yet hopeful I guess. I may have picked it because its so fresh in my mind, I just replayed ME3 and chose that ending all of half an hour ago.

Also no one has mentioned the death of Thane or Legion.

There's also the death of Lucy in Assassins Creed 2. More shocking in its execution, still I was sad.

Pretty much whenever a squadmate/former squadmate died in Mass Effect 3. Mostly Mordin and Thane.

Just about everything in The Binding Of Isaac.

That game has 14 endings and the one where Isaac hangs himself is still probably the happiest one.

Warning, major Bastion spoilers in the spoiler!

Bioware games have never been emotionally engaging for me at all. I can't get connected with any of the characters in a meaningful way. Maybe because they're just combat npcs, with a few romance lines and a meh backstory. You never do anything important with them.

Except Blizz from SWTOR. I would have that jawa's babies.

The only game that made me cry was Heavy Rain. As cold and mechanical as I am, I just can't help but to cry during certain sad things. I cried quite hard during the Where the Wild Things Are movie (yes, laugh, I know). I even cried at the end of LoTR Return of the King where everyone bows to the hobbits (though in my defense many grown men cried during that part). I have a hard time getting emotionally invested in something, mainly from the fact that I'm quite the loner and very few people have ever given 2 shits about me, so its hard to give 2 shits about others.

Sean Hollyman:

Spoiler tags. Seriously, no matter how old a game is.

'It hurts when she... when I remember... me.'

Ouch.

'Okay hero. Set me free.'

'Freya, you say? I believe this is the first time we have met...'

'You're right, but I don't think we build cemeteries for the dead. Sure, it may seem pointless to you, but... How can I describe it? It's so that we can think like this: 'We'll never forget you. We'll remember you every time we stand at your grave. And we won't let the fear of death, which each of us knows, stop us from living our lives. ...Because my friends will remember me when I'm here.'

And just the whole of Fallout 3. Nothing like stumbling across the bones of a child next to a bomb crater to make you get the terrible heartbreaks.

Captcha: it's over. Thanks Captcha, that makes me feel a whole lot better.

I've said it before, and I'll say it every dang time this thread pops up:

Well, time to drag my favorite game out from the shelves again.

Lord Quirk:

Yeah it is. ME3's only about 5 months old, hell, I only finished it yesterday. You should really spoiler tag every spoiler, no matter how old.

OT: Since I just finished ME3, mine are mainly drawn from that:

The game Odin's sphere, the whole game is just so sad, especially the ending.

Kingdom Hearts ending...

The Mass Effect 3 ending left me depressed for a few days- OK I'LL STOP

Umm... the final farewell in Okami was really sad.

Sean Hollyman:

Big Boss didnt die in MGS4, he shows up in the end holds old snake up from commiting suicide

odBilal:

Sean Hollyman:

Big Boss didnt die in MGS4, he shows up in the end holds old snake up from commiting suicide

Spoilers. What is it with people on this site? So many people are incapable of using spoiler tags, or using them correctly. It's not that fucking hard.

1) State the game you are spoiling.
2) Put spoilers in spoiler tag.

There, it's that simple. No matter how well known a game is, or how old it is. You still use spoiler tags. Because not every single person on this site has played every single game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked