Not much ammo left now. Need to save bullets. Need to be careful. Every shot must count.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So, have you ever found yourself in a position in a game, where you don't have much left in the way of supplies an ammunition, and you really had to be careful to survive?

I find it's usually in zombie or survival horror games, I find it quite exciting.

I never run out of ammo thanks to EA! I just pay a few bucks, and bam, full magazine.

To be honest I find it a chore most of the time. L4D is a shooting gallery but it never looses any tension. Games can be scary with weapons if made correctly, its just that many devs put in weapons for the sport of killing instead of tools of survival.

And apart from DayZ, I can't think of any game that would classify itself as being "survival horror" unless you're talking about Silent Hill, but even that's a stretch sometimes. Edit: I guess Amnesia.

DayZ does it right because the entire game revolves around scavenging, but mostly its just a cheap way to add tension without using the actual game world. What's easier, making difficult enemies that make you think on your feet, or reducing the amount of ammo that spawns in the world?

I like how in Battlefield 3 you get the option to change to single-fire mode on most of the guns.

Last mag on rifle? Stick it on single and i can usually get a few more carls before i die or resort to my big iron.

Other moment would be in Ravenholm, where i was just packin buck and the grav gun...

In Uncharted 2 I came across a fair few of those moments during crushing.

No ammo, 3 guys with RPG's, a shotgunner and 2 Armored Minigun guys. I had no ammo on the hardest difficulty.

The events that followed were so fucking nerve wrecking, but I still made it through.

I dunno, I've never really had to run out of ammo, I'm always scavenging for everything in a game so I don't run out.

In both modern Fallout games, I have what I call my 'Lack of Inventory' playthrough. What I do then is only have:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm
All the ammo I have for that firearm

I can replace anything I have but I must throw the previous item away, including all ammo if it's a firearm.

So you can tell I'm desperate when it comes to conserving bullets, especially when my melee weapon breaks.

I had an amazing experience with Fallout 3, I did the ant-nest quest very early in the game and was down to 3 bullets, 1 gun and 2 health packs at the end. Eventually the massive amount of supplies those games throw at you meant I stocked back up but it was a fantastically tense and exciting experience before then, the point I found a box of grenades was the best part of the game for me.

I am like this all the time in games, no matter how many bullets I'm carrying, mostly because me and a friend were once playing Medal of Honour: Rising Sun and we both ran out of ammo, so we had to co-ordinate ambushes on enemies coming round corners and bash them to death with the butts of our rifles.

What was worse was that every other soldier carried a sword and the game wouldn't let us take them.

Goldeneye, Mission Impossible and Perfect Dark make you regret every missed shot in the hardest modes, and make sure to loot every dead body in the level.

Captcha: om nom nom. Best one I've ever had.

Aerosteam 1908:
In both modern Fallout games, I have what I call my 'Lack of Inventory' playthrough. What I do then is only have:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm

I can replace anything I have but I must throw the previous item away, including all ammo if it's a firearm.

So you can tell I'm desperate when it comes to conserving bullets, especially when my melee weapon breaks.

Holy shit man! That's brilliant! I think I'm going to go on the playthrough I'm doing now, drop ALL my weapons into the river and get from level 10-30 with only what I'm allowed. I think I'm gonna give myself two firearms, and one melee. So really, it's a self imposed weapon limit. But it's gonna be hard, with the mods I've got I've got some awesome shotguns and laser rifles, it's gonna be hard to pick just one. Thanks for the idea!

Jynthor:
I never run out of ammo thanks to EA! I just pay a few bucks, and bam, full magazine.

And they wonder why they were voted the worst company in America... well, that and the supposed employee abuse. That video is basically the gaming equivalent of a presidential candidate going "yes! Elect me so I can bring you all to heel, you fools! MUHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, shit..."

OT: Metro 2033. That is all.

This question is pretty much the entire premise of I am Alive, so I guess that counts?

Binnsyboy:

Jynthor:

And they wonder why they were voted the worst company in America... well, that and the supposed employee abuse. That video is basically the gaming equivalent of a presidential candidate going "yes! Elect me so I can bring you all to heel, you fools! MUHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, shit..."

They wonder that because there are companies that have caused death's, the financial crisis,poisoning of the enviroment.
And EA is the worst company of america?
No it isn't now shut up.

ToastiestZombie:

Aerosteam 1908:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm

Holy shit man! That's brilliant! I think I'm going to go on the playthrough I'm doing now, drop ALL my weapons into the river and get from level 10-30 with only what I'm allowed. I think I'm gonna give myself two firearms, and one melee. So really, it's a self imposed weapon limit. But it's gonna be hard, with the mods I've got I've got some awesome shotguns and laser rifles, it's gonna be hard to pick just one. Thanks for the idea!

Glad you like the idea!

It's not required but for when you find things like stimpacks, you can only either use it on the spot or leave it in the body or container and come back to it later since you're not allowed to take it with you.

And when it comes to homes, you're allowed to store any weapon or armour in it, but that means you have to leave your home without that specific type of item. But you can then pick up a second item of the same type that way and swap that for the one you stored without losing it.

Enjoy.

rolfwesselius:

Binnsyboy:

Jynthor:

They wonder that because there are companies that have caused death's, the financial crisis,poisoning of the enviroment.
No it isn't now stfu.

It's called a sense of humor. Some people have it.

rolfwesselius:

Binnsyboy:

Jynthor:

No it isn't now stfu.

the companies you are talking about were already voted worst previously, and were ineligible when EA won.

Check it's history.

rolfwesselius:

Binnsyboy:

Jynthor:

No it isn't now stfu.

While I agree with your point, don't you think you might've been a little more civil in delivering it? Is telling someone to "shut the fuck up" really the most mature way to hold a debate? That kind of hostility will do more to undermine your argument than it will to support it.

OT: I've definitely been to "no ammo left" land before. Especially in games where you can only hold a limited number of weapons, like Deus Ex. I'll find a gun I like and keep carrying it even if there's no ammo left, forcing me to leave behind ammo that I find myself in desperate need of later.

Binnsyboy:

rolfwesselius:

Binnsyboy:

No it isn't now stfu.

It's called a sense of humor. Some people have it.

EA is the gaming company with the worst publisher-consumer relations in America. I guess that was enough (sadly) to give them the push they needed to win the company equivalent of the Razzie Awards...

But there are probably worse companies who know how to keep their mouths shut.

I've had this during The Operative: No One Lives Forever (one of my favourite games) for the silenced rifle (I had lot's for noisy guns but was going for a high, ergo sneaky, rating), you rarely pick up ammunition for it during missions and only start with about 30 rounds, so every shot needs to be a one-shot-kill, and you need to not kill some people because you might need that bullet later for a guard who definitely has to be out of the way.

Deus ex:HR right after that invisible boss I had exactly 2 pistol shots left as a stealth base guy on the hard mode...
Screw that shit ever again.

Binnsyboy:
Metro 2033. That is all.

Agreed, especially

Yeah, DayZ. It's generally accompanied by a quick death soon after (and the sound of me sobbing).

Fallout 3/NV would be the main offenders in this case. Even more so when i meet a deathclaw, after 5-10 minutes until it finally goes down i will have no ammo and no stimpacks, then in case of danger just climb on a rock and pray that it will go away.

Aerosteam 1908:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm

...that settles it, I am so doing that.

I take it I can't keep the other stuff to sell at the store or stimpacks?

Rack:
I had an amazing experience with Fallout 3, I did the ant-nest quest very early in the game and was down to 3 bullets, 1 gun and 2 health packs at the end. Eventually the massive amount of supplies those games throw at you meant I stocked back up but it was a fantastically tense and exciting experience before then, the point I found a box of grenades was the best part of the game for me.

Very similar experience.

I was on Fallout 3 fighting the Ant Queen in the Corvega Factory. It was far too early in the game (I still had my BB Gun and considered it a reasonable weapon early) and I had already gotten battered fighting my way through all the other ants. I ended up trapped inside one of the those little metal boxes with nothing but my BB Gun and 100 pellets. I was jumping out and taking potshots at her and trying dsperately not to die, and eventually ended up killing her with my bare hands and had to make my way back across the wasteland with literally nothing (I hadn't learned about fast travel at that point.)

Really captured that whole 'post-apocalyptic wasteland terror' thing.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl (U.L.T.I.M.A.T.E. mod)

Ammo is generally scarce even at sellers. Add realistic can-carry-weight (60 kilos max, including armour) and you're on the scavenge run.

Fallout 3 has the problem of overabundance of everything IMO. I mean, it's like 200 years after nuclear war, and you can still find untouched shops with medicine, food etc... and .32 bullets lying EVERYWHERE.

I tend to play as though I'm on that verge even when I have a gigantic surplus of ammo. I'm just far more effective when I make my shots count than when I'm slinging tons of lead in my enemies' general direction.

So I never really find myself in that situation.

Aerosteam 1908:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm

Ha I"m totally the opposite when it comes to playing through fallout. I carry as much weapons as I can and all the guns and melee so I can kill with variety wherever I go. But that seems like a cool idea to try.
Usually I only get the feeling of scarcity with ammo when I'm playing dead island, and I'm surrounded on a cart with 50 zombies at my ankles.

Well in most games where you can run out of ammo, you can also pick up a new gun so I can't remember a time when I literally had my nearly empty/empty gun, no secondary, and there was literally no other weapon anywhere nearby to pick up and use.

Dead Space gave me that feeling all the time... I was constantly too low on ammo, and really had to be tactical in which weapons I were to use.

Zombie mod on Counter-Strike 1.6(not Biohazard). Throwing away your weapons and picking up those of your fallen comrades was a must in pretty much every match. So much fun. Sadly, nowadays I can only find shitty servers with unlimited ammo.

That's why I mostly use LMGs and memorize the locations on ammo caches.

I tend to run out of ammo a lot in Uncharted games though, but there is usually a shotty laying around from one of the 8 guys who tried to flank me.

Metro 2033, makes you regret any missed shot, poor choice of weapon or anything of the sort... I played it on the average difficulty, and it was rough, there were parts were I just said screw it and ran like hell. You cry when you can't access the ammo, or the human enemies fall awkwardly and you can't click on the ammo on their chest, or lose their guns down a hole or clipping.

Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 were like this. You had enough ammo to get by, but only just. I remember the pang in my heart-- I've opened a new zone, unlocked a new door, but I have only two bullets and one shotgun shell. Make them count.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked