Video game conspiracy theories

Pages 1 2 NEXT

In the wee hours of the morning, when my body is awake and my brain clearly disagrees with the concept, I occasionally have small bursts of incredible paranoia. Not nearly enough that I begin to distrust anything that actually matters, but more of just, "what if ____ company was trying to pull a fast one on us?" And not in the stereotypical "EA = jerks" kind of fashion, more along the lines of something that could make sense if your brain squints hard enough, but is most certainly not true. Case in point:

What if Half-Life 2E3/Half-Life 3 is actually finished, or has been finished for some time, and Valve is merely trying to think of another bundle package for it? The most recent installment came in the Orange Box, complete with Team Fortress 2 and Portal, two smash hits. What if to make up for the time between installments, Valve is just tying to draft up new titles to lump with the long-since completed Half-Life title?

Or:

What if there is no Zelda timeline? And I don't mean in the "what if Nintendo had never planned for a timeline until much later," which I agree with, but that the games can be explained without use of a timeline. Perhaps Nintendo will eventually reveal that it all makes sense in a more simplified sort of way, like the Mistelling Theory, where each Zelda game is the same tale told by a different person, which is why the subtler details tend to differ. Sometimes you have a horse, sometimes it's a boat, sometimes you're even a wolf, but at the end of the day, Link beats Ganon with Master Sword and Boomerang to rescue some blonde lady.

So, lovely Escapist community, do you have any odd theories like these?

The real Mario has been dead for several years and the one who's been talking is really a stand-in. Luigi is also suspected of hollowing out the old one's body in an attempt to seize his career popularity, but the case was never proven. The reason the princess keeps getting abducted so many times is because the people of the mushroom kingdom are high...on themselves.

There is no legend of Zelda. Link has been in an insane asylum for years, thanks to a bad drug trip he had way back when. Turns out Ganon was created by a bad case of food poisoning with improperly-cooked pork and Zelda was some girl in high school that turned him down. (Yes, that's Hyrule High, thank you very much.) This goes a long way to explain why he never talks, but instead shouts alot.

Samus Aran's supposed traumatic past with Ridley is a dodge. She uses it to deflect any and all accusations of going way too far and killing everything during missions with her exceptional Chozo arsenal. The fact that Ridley cannot actually speak in his own defense and that all facilities belonging to space pirates tend to blow up make this ultimately suspicious. It's also VERY convenient that all the Chozo are dead as well...

For years, Megaman has been straining to break his programming because Dr. Light had imposed Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics to prevent him from killing Dr. Wily...which would've been the simplest way of keeping him from always coming back. Megaman will succeed and become the REAL first Maverick, not Zero. He'll also be responsible for the unknown cataclysm that befell that world before the Megaman X continuity. No word yet on whether X is really the original Megaman playing dumb to fool the others.

Solid Snake is secretly dominating the world. Capitalizing on how Liquid Snake came back to life as a freaking ARM on Revolver Ocelot, he began to secretly spread his cells to other people by coughing on them while pretending to look old. Otacon is in on it too. That's why he's assisting Snake using a refugee from Snatcher, waiting to see if anyone actually puts it all together.

Metaknight is really an evil alternate universe version of Kirby. Behind that mask, he has a goatee and pointy eyebrows. That is, except when he's needed to pose AS Kirby...since Kirby was unfortunately killed when he accidentally swallowed the head of Dynamite Heady. King Dedede is not a king, but in fact a Duke. He never went by that name because there was no way in hell anyone would tolerate the name 'Duke Dedede'.

Donkey Kong, Godzilla, and Saberwulf switched places with George, Lizzie, and Ralph of Rampage games and nobody noticed. This eventually led to the Video Game Exchange program that allowed for strange cameos and crossovers, and inevitably led to Smash Brothers games. Bomberman is currently wanted for attacking Nintendo HQ for never letting HIM in that, and for allowing Wario into his world.

The Legend of Zelda is Aryan propaganda.

Roger Ebert brainwashed Bioware and is the true mastermind behind the Mass Effect 3 ending.

Phantasy Star IV isn't actually "The End of the Millenium." It takes place 998 years after Phantasy Star II, not a thousand. Innocent if misleading naming choice, or conspiracy to shift public perception of Millenia and increase the number of people claiming crazy things about the Mayan calender?

Polybius.

This is a good one, sorry if this seems low content but the Pic says it all:

I know this sounds like an EA=jerks thing but the reason Devil May Cry 3 was that Capcom knew it would be too hard and could release the special edition to make more money.

If Street Fighter 3 takes place after Street Fighter 4 how come Akuma can't use oni form?

The events of Timesplitters 2 would most likely destroy the world rather than save it because of time paradoxes.

Diablo1099:

So wait... I don't think I quite follow the logic of that. I'm not trying to be dismissive, I just think I'm missing something since it's been a while since I've had interaction with the Kanto Pokemon plot. He steals the Silph Scope to combat ghosts, and I suppose that makes sense, but why was Mewtwo created at all, by that logic?

Quingfang:

Diablo1099:

So wait... I don't think I quite follow the logic of that. I'm not trying to be dismissive, I just think I'm missing something since it's been a while since I've had interaction with the Kanto Pokemon plot. He steals the Silph Scope to combat ghosts, and I suppose that makes sense, but why was Mewtwo created at all, by that logic?

To bring a near-extinct pokemon back? Quite a noble goal really.

Richardplex:

Quingfang:

Diablo1099:

First of all, the entire theory is flawed as there was no actual connection between Giovanni and Mewtwo in the games. Mewtwo was created by the crew of the burned down laboratory on Cinnabar Island. The only people we know who were involved are Blaine and Mr. Fuji.

The actual theory is stating that Giovanni was using the Silph Scope in order to catch ghost Pokémon, which he could then use to fight and capture Mewtwo, who had escaped from him sometime after Giovanni created him. But as I said, Giovanni never created Mewtwo in the first place. That bit was added in the anime.

Quingfang:
Perhaps Nintendo will eventually reveal that it all makes sense in a more simplified sort of way, like the Mistelling Theory, where each Zelda game is the same tale told by a different person, which is why the subtler details tend to differ

That's always been how I took it, anyway (with the obvious exception of Zelda->Zelda II). It makes much more sense than the bogus retconned "forked timeline" BS they try to pass off now.

Dutchj:

Richardplex:

Quingfang:

First of all, the entire theory is flawed as there was no actual connection between Giovanni and Mewtwo in the games. Mewtwo was created by the crew of the burned down laboratory on Cinnabar Island. The only people we know who were involved are Blaine and Mr. Fuji.

The actual theory is stating that Giovanni was using the Silph Scope in order to catch ghost Pokémon, which he could then use to fight and capture Mewtwo, who had escaped from him sometime after Giovanni created him. But as I said, Giovanni never created Mewtwo in the first place. That bit was added in the anime.

Ahhh, gotcha! I had never played the Gameboy games and had only seen the first Pokemon movie some time ago, so I didn't have the "canon information," so to speak. Thanks for the clarification :)

No one has mentioned Indoctrination Theory yet? Really?

I personally believe Kirby is a cannibalistic anarchist who is trying to commit genocide on the inhabitants of Dream Land. Deedeedee needs to the Star Rod to save his world from the monster.

One that i came up with is that new super mario bros 2 is set before every other mario game. Essentially the first game in its timeline. The reason for this is because there are tons of coins in this one, and the reason why there arnt as many in the future games is because this mario took them all for himself.

The truth about Half-Life 3 is that they can't figure out a good box art for it, especially after terrible job they did for the Orange Box. The entire company of Valve is split into a bitter feud about whether they should put the lambda in the center of the logo with a 3 in the corner, or the other way around.

Fappy:
No one has mentioned Indoctrination Theory yet? Really?

OT: I can just picture Bobby Kotick in a baseball cap sat in his soda can-littered room that smells faintly of marijuana with his buddies playing Halo multiplayer.

Zombie apocalypse games exist to lull us into a false sense of security (we're so totally prepared for the apocalypse and all) that when the apocalypse comes for real, we'll get thoroughly gnawed to death before we realize that the sense of security was false.

Donnie Restad:
The truth about Half-Life 3 is that they can't figure out a good box art for it, especially after terrible job they did for the Orange Box. The entire company of Valve is split into a bitter feud about whether they should put the lambda in the center of the logo with a 3 in the corner, or the other way around.

Haha that's pretty good, too! They've got a neat little bundle of games all prepared and ready to go, just that box art... the Greek alphabet is tearing us apart!

Vegosiux:
Zombie apocalypse games exist to lull us into a false sense of security (we're so totally prepared for the apocalypse and all) that when the apocalypse comes for real, we'll get thoroughly gnawed to death before we realize that the sense of security was false.

And apparently Valve is breeding supermutants and zombies, a'la Left 4 Dead, and their so-called training simulator is just teaching us how hard it is to find three other people that you can get along with in a doomsday situation.

Duke Nukem is gay.

Back around before his womanizing asshole days (DN1 and DN2), Duke was a man in a pink sweater who watched Oprah. Eventually, he discovered his homosexuality- and was horrified. Not wanting to be seen as a pansy, he became the asshole we love was during the day, and the flamer he truly is. The problem is that the world of prostitutes, steroids, and burly muscles enveloped our poor hero, turning his fake asshole person into his true one. Duke never recovered.

However, a small part of the true, gay Duke lives on. Notice how in DNF you can see a picture of a muscular chest in the bathroom. This might not seem like anything. "It's probably his own!" you all cry. But if it is his own chest, why doesn't he display it? Why doesn't he show it off? The answer is simple: Its not. He faps to the last connection to his own life every night. And then cries, hoping to one day escape the closet.

Square-enix is purposely sabotaging their Final Fantasy games because they are tired of making them .

EA wants to make the world Videogame free .

Peppy is Fox's real dad .

targren:

Quingfang:
Perhaps Nintendo will eventually reveal that it all makes sense in a more simplified sort of way, like the Mistelling Theory, where each Zelda game is the same tale told by a different person, which is why the subtler details tend to differ

That's always been how I took it, anyway (with the obvious exception of Zelda->Zelda II). It makes much more sense than the bogus retconned "forked timeline" BS they try to pass off now.

And the Wind Waker sequels

The Happy Mask Salesman from Majora's Mask taught you the song of healing, which transforms the souls of the dying into transformative masks for his collection. He has Mario, Elvis and Darth Maul masks among others. So Mario died a long time ago from some hazard on his adventures. Not only that, but whenever he dies again for the umpteenth time he just has to find someone else and slip that mask onto them... occasionally doing the same with the Elvis mask, which explains the sightings.

Again, Kirby. All the final bosses of his games have been categorized as 'eldritch abominations', usually masses of darkness with a single huge eye, but he qualifies for that too. Devouring all in his wake in his first game, assimilating the appearances and skills of whomever he eats in the second... and after that he learned the power to turn anyone he eats and spits back out into a devoted ally against their will. And in one of his recent games he learned to make clones of himself! Yet, because he is so cute and childlike, people will ignore his hunger sprees until it is too late and we will all become 'Helpers'.

EA is trying to bring about a second gaming market crash by buying up all the hottest companies into mergers and putting their own staff in key positions to gradually worsen the quality of upcoming releases as time goes by. After that's done they can revert them back to their old selves and collect a fortune from public grateful for something as good as the pre-EA days.

Dutchj:

Richardplex:

Quingfang:

Nice one.

I personally caught the flaw within "ghosts which are strong against psychics" which was not true at all in gen 1. Lick is the only ghost move that actually has type effectiveness... and it's a physical move (ghost pokemon have high special, not attack) with 20 power. Not to mention the only ghost pokemon (ghastly, haunter and gengar) are also part poison, which is weak to psychic attacks.

To each their own though. Yours makes more sense in a narrative perspective.

In Arkham City, the Joker actually wanted to die. The whole game was him trying to goad Batman into killing him.

Vanille from Final Fantasy died fighting the Pulse Fal'cie and is in her own personal hell.

Isaac Clarke is just insane, the Necromorphs are actually people. Yes, this includes the Pack and the weird tentacled baby... Thing.

Assassins Creed and Deus Ex are the templars and assassins just branching out in their war. In order to convinve gamers that...yeah I'm not sure where this is going.

The whole story of Half Life 2 is a retell of WW2 in the eyes of the french resistance.

Joining the resistance to bring them down, while trying to avoid not only some of their biological experiments gone wrong such as those sand bugs but also the fallout from their relentless chemical bombing of Ravenholm.

The damage you inflict along the way might not be massive, but it does cripple the enemy in the long run. Reason for not giving us a proper conclusion of the story is because it would make it all a dead give-away on where they got their inspiration.

If you look closely while playing through the story, you will soon notice the connections.

A few years ago, a Half Life 2 mod got to such insane popularity that the creator, Adam Foster, was hired by Valve and has worked on Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.

The mod, I believe, is also now considered canon. It's called Minvera: METASTASIS.

Look it up. It's one of the best things to come from the Source engine.

Anyways, to the point- that mod has a lesser known prequel in Half Life 1's engine called PARALLAX: Someplace Else.

Hidden throughout this mod is this symbol:

That is, irrefutably, the Marathon symbol.

So, since PARALLAX is the canon prequel to Minerva, and since Minerva is canon in the Half Life universe...

Marathon and Half Life could be connected. There are also many other allusions to Marathon in Minerva. I won't spoil them- go play the mods. They're fantastic.

A much bigger stretch would be to say Half Life and Halo are connected, as that is the symbol for Reclaimer in that franchise. Though this isn't very likely.

Alcamonic:
The whole story of Half Life 2 is a retell of WW2 in the eyes of the french resistance.

Joining the resistance to bring them down, while trying to avoid not only some of their biological experiments gone wrong such as those sand bugs but also the fallout from their relentless chemical bombing of Ravenholm.

The damage you inflict along the way might not be massive, but it does cripple the enemy in the long run. Reason for not giving us a proper conclusion of the story is because it would make it all a dead give-away on where they got their inspiration.

If you look closely while playing through the story, you will soon notice the connections.

I've heard this theory before and I've very much liked the concept. There have been so many games following the same alternative historical portrayal of the frontline WWII warfare and it would be fantastic if, in fact, Valve had a lesser touched upon subject in mind for inspiration. Even if that wasn't the case, it's still a fantastic comparison.

ABLb0y:
In Arkham City, the Joker actually wanted to die. The whole game was him trying to goad Batman into killing him.

You ever play Fallout: New Vegas and side with the Legion and hear Caesar's Thesis, Antithesis, and synthesis speech? It was pretty much how when he created his legion it was his thesis. The NCR was his antithesis. When he defeats the NCR the Legion will change to take on some of the NCR's qualities(hopefully the ones that let them settle down).

I think that the Joker and Batman's relation ship is the same. Betman is the thesis and the Joker is his antithesis. They each try to get eachother to see the other's way. The Joker wanted Batman to kill him so he would become a synthesis. Someone who would just kill all the villains in his way rather than knocking them out and crap like that.

Richardplex:

Quingfang:

Diablo1099:

To be used as a weapon, obviously. It's like Giovanni ran the Manhatten Project, only to have the first nuke gain sentience and run away. He would clearly pull all of his efforts into regaining his weapon.

The Lazy Blacksmith:

Richardplex:

Quingfang:

To be used as a weapon, obviously. It's like Giovanni ran the Manhatten Project, only to have the first nuke gain sentience and run away. He would clearly pull all of his efforts into regaining his weapon.

That's the obvious answer, but it's clearly the environmentalist route he's going down - I bet he nurses Ratatas back to health as well. How could you insinuate him doing such actions D:

Pokemon Red/Blue took place in an alternate Japan after World War II. That's why roads are non-existent, as they were almost all bombed out. It's why most men are either in their 20's or old, as the younger ones died in combat. It also explains the existence of Lt. Surge, who was an American fighter pilot who saw combat. Gary's parents and Red's dad all died in the war.

Finally, it explains the Pokemon League. After the Japanese government was toppled, there was not attempt to create a new government. As a result, people reverted back to a kind of feudalism, where those with the strongest Pokemon gained the most power. It also explains Lt. Surge (again). He was stationed in Veridian along with a few of his old war buddies in order to maintain American use of its port, the only one in Kanto.

I've used this one in some other conspiracy/fan-theory forum before, but Braid is Watchmen from Dr. Manhattan's perspective.

In Dear Esther

The Sam Fisher in the trailers for the new Splinter Cell isn't the same one from the previous games, it's a fake identity passed down from active operative to operative like James Bond. That's why he looks and sounds different.

Konami created Silent Hill: Book of Memories as a massive experiment in meta-horror. Basically they want to convince their fanbase that they are already living in a Silent Hill type hellish nightmare, in other words a world where a SH game like Book of Memories is allowed to exist.

Bigfoot isn't really in San Andreas, it's actually aliens walking around in a bigfoot costume just to confuse people.

Gordon Freeman isn't just a really quiet guy, he was actually psychically connected to the Vortigaunts at the end of HL1 because he killed the Nihilanth. Though they do vocalize Vorts don't communicate the same way we do, and the sudden connection to something so alien would have been quite a shock to his system and maybe even caused slight brain damage. The prophet Vortigaunt in HL2 talks at length about how the they and Freeman are directly connected and repeatedly mentions the death of their former slave master. Also notice how even though he's seen in the background before hand, the G-man doesn't really interact with him until after the Nihilanth is dead. We know he and the Vorts are related somehow, maybe he actually couldn't talk to Freeman until this happened.

EDIT:

The Lazy Blacksmith:
Pokemon Red/Blue took place in an alternate Japan after World War II.

I know next to nothing about Pokemon since I've never played one, so take pity on me if this ends up being completely stupid to someone who actually knows what they're talking about, but maybe that even explains the Pokemon themselves? They're mutants that sprang up after the bombs dropped.

I don't have any crazy conspiracy theories. I've been around these forums and a few other long enough to hear some crazy conspiracy theories, though. Mostly they're about how the producer/developer is secretly conspiring to screw their loyal fans over or somehow had knowledge they couldn't possibly have in advance. Such as theories about how Valve somehow knew hats would be the most popular TF2 thing ever in advance. Personally I've never even heard of a developer who wanted to screw people over. I've heard about apathetic ones, and ones that hate the games they are working on, but not ever one actively trying to make the game horrible.

Ruzinus:

Phantasy Star IV isn't actually "The End of the Millenium." It takes place 998 years after Phantasy Star II, not a thousand. Innocent if misleading naming choice, or conspiracy to shift public perception of Millenia and increase the number of people claiming crazy things about the Mayan calender?

Nah, that's just an effect of one of the planets going up in the second game. The REAL conspiracy is that the Profound Darkness isn't dead and that every Phantasy Star game ever since the fourth has been a deliberate cover-up to make it look like otherwise. Why do you think it's so radically different a game? It's buying time to lick its wounds so that it can take over the universe.

The Reapers of Mass Effect were actually the final super weapons of the Glorft, in their final days of aggression to try and handle Coop in Megas. All that stuff that Shepard went through at the end of the third game was their attempts to create an AI directive to lead them when their creators died out.

Master Chief is NOT Duke Nukem, as wildly portrayed in a comic online. But he IS Gordan Freeman. After all, the dude's silent. The entire Halo plot is actually Black Mesa's fault (AGAIN) and he was sent in to clean up the mess, much to his unspoken vexation. Duke Nukem, meanwhile, isn't gay. He's just thoroughly in love with himself.

Mother Brain was, of course, central to the Space Pirates as you know. Father Brain was Brainiac, and they split up after having three monstrous children (The System in the Nintendo game, Zanac) and finally stop speaking to each other when Krypton exploded. Lately, Mother Brain has been trying to sue the pants off of Brainiac for his neglect in child support after some guy in a fighter jet killed the kids, but he's been faking his death so many times that it doesn't look like there will be a resolution.

Dr. Ivo Robotnik has been landing case after case of insurance fraud and making a ton of money for years by making his robots and creations destructable via contact with a small blue hedgehog and then claiming the money and suing for liable. Sonic, being unable to pay for any of this, has been a fugitive for 18 years, and his lawyer is having no luck proving the fraud, even though the doc is actually able to OUTRUN the hedgehog and is personally immune to all his attacks! Oh, and about the evil thing, but...you know how court cases go.

Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts are not empty. They're victims of identity theft by the Heartless, who are actually SHADOWS from Persona games. No comments as to WHY from Igor or any of the staff from the Velvet Room, but in all likelyhood there's another death god at work.

Every Minecraft seed is the same world, it just spawns you in a different place.

When I was little I was absolutely sure that NPCs and mobs were being played by other people, online. Until I was old enough to realize how shitty the AI was in those games.

Even when you THINK your Kinect is turned off and muted... it isn't.
It's always watching, listening, and waiting.
For what purpose? I have no idea. It's 11 PM and I'm too tired to think of anything else. Sorry for the buzzkill.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked