Katawa Shoujo - Hanako's Story (COMPLETED 18/08/2014)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Long awaited, here's the fourteenth chapter! Can't believe I've been writing this story long enough to reach 14 chapters, truth be told... :D

OMG I've been patiently waiting for this for like forever! So glad it's here! Also, you are an excellent writer and I hope to see more of your work.

StudyOfWumbology:
OMG I've been patiently waiting for this for like forever! So glad it's here! Also, you are an excellent writer and I hope to see more of your work.

Haha, thank you :D. Glad you like it, though I'm wondering how you can be happy this chapter is here when it's one of the harshest parts of the whole story? ;D

Trivun:

StudyOfWumbology:

Haha, thank you :D. Glad you like it, though I'm wondering how you can be happy this chapter is here when it's one of the harshest parts of the whole story? ;D

DX
WAAAAHHHHHH! That part always gave me the bad feels..... And reading it from Hanako's perspective makes the feels worse! I don't think I'll be able to play through Hanako's route without having your story with me as I do it.

Welcome back, I was curious when the next update was going to be. Congrates on the new job by the way. :D
Well done, and while I would have pictured her thought processes at certain points slightly different, it still flowed very well with the events that were unfolding.

Trivun:

StudyOfWumbology:

I just really love your writing it makes me feel all warm inside. :3

Beffudled Sheep:

Trivun:

StudyOfWumbology:

DX
WAAAAHHHHHH! That part always gave me the bad feels..... And reading it from Hanako's perspective makes the feels worse! I don't think I'll be able to play through Hanako's route without having your story with me as I do it.

Aww, I'm sorry! Though it's still nice to know I'm affecting people as much as the original writers, considering I respect them and their work so much it's great to be compared to them in such a positive way, however implicitly :)

NoOne852:
Welcome back, I was curious when the next update was going to be. Congrates on the new job by the way. :D
Well done, and while I would have pictured her thought processes at certain points slightly different, it still flowed very well with the events that were unfolding.

Glad to be back :D. And thanks about the job, been a month going now and it's not been too bad (yet xD). Unfortunately it's been the next barrier to my speedy updates, but hopefully I'll be able to get a hold on that when my Saturdays finally become free following this weekend. And again, happy to see you enjoyed it again! The flow is always important, but considering I'm playing the game alongside Hanako's Story, literally as I write, it's not as tough as it may seem :).

StudyOfWumbology:

Trivun:

StudyOfWumbology:

I just really love your writing it makes me feel all warm inside. :3

Ah, well, fair enough then. Truth be told, it was a lot harder to write this chapter than it was for previous ones, and I reckon it might get harder still for the next few more. I was trying to get inside Hanako's head throughout and completely imagine myself as her, to the point where I was literally typing the first thoughts that came into my head as fast as they came. I actually felt my body tense up and tears in my eyes through some of the worst parts. Personally, I put that down to the skill of the original writer for Hanako's arc in the VN, to write a scene that actually makes me (someone who's very, very rarely affected emotionally by fictional media) tear up to any extent at all.

This part aswell is really good :) You capture both the Dialogue and the feelings pretty well, and it's interesting to read ^^ When you read this and think about it, it feels very much like hanako, Though I will say I do not approve of the swearing.
I approve of the forcefull angry thoughts, because of you play the bad ending you can see how Hanako really can blow away her bottle up feelings, but I still think she's to gently of a person to actually use sentence as "Shut the hell up" :) Though good work ^^ Just my opinion though :) keep up the good work :)

please make more :) it's very good writing and fits well with hanako's path very well!

Stokholm:
This part aswell is really good :) You capture both the Dialogue and the feelings pretty well, and it's interesting to read ^^ When you read this and think about it, it feels very much like hanako, Though I will say I do not approve of the swearing.
I approve of the forcefull angry thoughts, because of you play the bad ending you can see how Hanako really can blow away her bottle up feelings, but I still think she's to gently of a person to actually use sentence as "Shut the hell up" :) Though good work ^^ Just my opinion though :) keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the kind words, happy to see another person enjoying my work :). Though I'm not certain I used swear words at all, I don't really consider 'hell' or 'damn' as swearing myself, but apologies if you do. I think if Hanako was frustrated enough she'd say pretty much anything to herself, the question is whether she'd have the courage to say such things out loud, which she doesn't in game (until the Bad Ending, where she does fly into a rage - that being said, even then she doesn't use any kind of bad language no matter what people's standards of such language are) - she's certainly a much stronger character than many people give her credit for, and seeing her use words like hell wouldn't surprise me at all. I'd be more surprised to hear Lilly say something like that, to be honest (although I think she does once or twice, IIRC...).

CasualGamerDK:
please make more :) it's very good writing and fits well with hanako's path very well!

Thanks, and again, glad to see another happy reader :D

I really like this story so far. I think you captured Hanako's point of view pretty well.It shows that she isn't as weak and in need of protection as everyone thinks she might be ( you can see that she really isn't in her Bad Ending as well ) and i think that if there'd ever be a Katawa Shoujo Version where you'd play the girls then that would be how Hanako's Route would be like.So yea keep up the good work and i'm really looking forward on how you'll handle some of the later parts.Especially the stuff in Act 4. And i was wondering if you'll just write till the end of the Game or if you'll maybe write some kind of "View of the future" as in what might happen after the game with Hisao and Hanako in your view. Because well the game kinda left you hanging there :D

Yay, new update :D
Good as always though I am starting to forget parts of Hanako's story arc, so I don't entirely have a point to view her character from in that perpestive anymore (not clear anyway). That being said, based on what I know of her character, you are writing her pretty well, if a bit harsh (if that is the right word) at times.

Keep it up please! And I will wait for your next update :D

NoOne852:
Good as always though I am starting to forget parts of Hanako's story arc, so I don't entirely have a point to view her character from in that perpestive anymore (not clear anyway). That being said, based on what I know of her character, you are writing her pretty well, if a bit harsh (if that is the right word) at times.

Thank you again :). Truth be told though I wasn't as happy with this chapter as I have been with some others, pretty much because of the length and the fact that I couldn't use as much original content as I have done on some other occasions. I did have an idea to write a section at the start with interaction between Hanako, the Nurse, and Miss Yumi, but then I thought that in the state she was in she wouldn't want to discuss it with anyone, whether that someone is Lilly, Hisao, or an unnamed third party such as the audience. As a result I cut that section and ended up with just the shorter piece we see here. Given how the game goes from this bit onwards, though, it does make a nice and natural break in the narrative before the next section of the story...

Trivun:

NoOne852:

Thank you again :). Truth be told though I wasn't as happy with this chapter as I have been with some others, pretty much because of the length and the fact that I couldn't use as much original content as I have done on some other occasions. I did have an idea to write a section at the start with interaction between Hanako, the Nurse, and Miss Yumi, but then I thought that in the state she was in she wouldn't want to discuss it with anyone, whether that someone is Lilly, Hisao, or an unnamed third party such as the audience. As a result I cut that section and ended up with just the shorter piece we see here. Given how the game goes from this bit onwards, though, it does make a nice and natural break in the narrative before the next section of the story...

Well it seems to have worked out. I wouldn't worry too much about that. At least you considered the character instead of just going "I already wrote it, may as well leave it in". A tip of my top hat to you sir.

Funny thing, I started replaying the different paths again, this time trying to think how to characters are thinking the same way Hisao does. Basicly just what you're doing here right now. Already did Hanako's and I have to admit, it's pretty similar. Well, your view of it is a bit more... Well, can't really come up with another word, but harsher. But it does fit her character, so maybe I'm just naive

Anyway, can't wait for the next entry, so far it has been very enjoyable. Oh and be sure to link us the full story (the different arcs) when you get that finished. Though I suppose it's safe to assume that might take a while. Just don't stress yourself too much writing these :P

So, here it is, as promised, the next chapter of Hanako's Story! It's another short one again, so apologies, but there's a good reason for that - the chapter in the VN ends here and the next segment is what you've all been waiting for... Hanako's birthday party! I did consider adding that to the end of this but instead I decided that instead of writing a single super-long chapter I'd rather have a shorter one with the build-up, and give the party its own chapter from scratch. So I'll try and get that out within a few weeks, though no gurantees - considering the next chapter will be much longer, and given my propensity for delays, it might be a bit of a wait. I'll endeavour to make that wait as short as possible, though :).

Surprised it wasnt an april fools joke, hehe

Marik2:
Surprised it wasnt an april fools joke, hehe

Haha, I'm not quite that cruel ;). Would have done it on the Sunday instead but I had my nan round for Sunday dinner and didn't feel up to writing...

A bit of a delay due to the rigours of a full time job, and a longer chapter than the last few, but hopefully you'll all enjoy it just as much :D

Huh, apparently I missed an update... >_>
Either way, both were quite good and I like your take on the thoughts of "drunk Hanako". I would imagine it was an odd thing to approach and write considering being drunk isn't exactly something you can simply work out.
But as I was saying, I enjoyed the read, and I hope to see more updates.
Keep up the good work! =D when you can...if it isn't too inconvenient....sorry

This one was so funny! XD I wanna see more Drunk Hanako haha :p So sad it didn't happen in the storyline ^^ cause this was priceless :p
Good story, and nice writing ;) I'll be waiting for the next one :D as always

Man this is so good, I just want you to know that I joined escapist because of your writing, and now I'm addicted you are so good at putting it in her perspective keep up the good work I look forward to it!

Another nice chapter. I really like how you wrote the drunk Hanako. Its really nice to see her being able to be all happy and so in her mind. Makes a nice change for the otherwise pretty depressing thoughts of her. Keep up the good work. Really looking forward to how the rest of the arc will unfold from Hanakos view~

NoOne852:
Huh, apparently I missed an update... >_>
Either way, both were quite good and I like your take on the thoughts of "drunk Hanako". I would imagine it was an odd thing to approach and write considering being drunk isn't exactly something you can simply work out.
But as I was saying, I enjoyed the read, and I hope to see more updates.
Keep up the good work! =D when you can...if it isn't too inconvenient....sorry

I saw what you did thar... ;D And yeah, no worries, I'll try and continue when I can, damn full time hours. Although to be fair my bank balance isn't complaining as much as my laptop keyboard is at being excercised in that respect ;D. Anyhow, thanks for the comments, and it wasn't too difficult really to write drunk Hanako. I just drew on my own experiences of being drunk, and when I wrote the chapter I'd spent most nights that week drinking anyway (not getting properly drunk, but certainly enough to feel at least light headed). I just drew on all that, and I tend to talk crap and go off on a tangent when I've been drinking anyway, so I applied that to Hanako's thought process. Not sure if it's strictly 'canon', per se, but as we don't see the inner effects of drink on Hanako (only the outsider's perspective) then I don't see an issue ;).

Stokholm:
This one was so funny! XD I wanna see more Drunk Hanako haha :p So sad it didn't happen in the storyline ^^ cause this was priceless :p
Good story, and nice writing ;) I'll be waiting for the next one :D as always

Thanks to you also! Truth be told I'm in two minds about it not being in the canon, because on the one hand it gave me creative freedom to have Hanako be whatever kind of drunk I wanted her to be, but on the other hand it would have made for a much more hilarious scene in the VN to include her own drunk thoughts xD.

Krovius:
Man this is so good, I just want you to know that I joined escapist because of your writing, and now I'm addicted you are so good at putting it in her perspective keep up the good work I look forward to it!

Thank you! I feel a bit honoured actually to have basically acheived the same as Yahtzee and been the actual reason for someone to join this site, so that's made my day :D. Welcome to the Escapist, in any case, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your time here! Thanks for the compliments, and don't forget, stay out of the basement (before anyone else tries to entice you down there with delicious cupcakes...)...

Yuuka Kazami:
Another nice chapter. I really like how you wrote the drunk Hanako. Its really nice to see her being able to be all happy and so in her mind. Makes a nice change for the otherwise pretty depressing thoughts of her. Keep up the good work. Really looking forward to how the rest of the arc will unfold from Hanakos view~

And thank you also for the kind words :). I really enjoyed writing this chapter and getting away from the melancholy, so I'm happy to see someone else who enjoyed seeing the nicer side of life at Yamaku, instead of all the subtle morbidity and constant angst :D.

Another long wait, so apologies there, but hopefully it's worth it! This serves as both a nice little conclusion to the drunken shenanigans of (ahem) the night before... ;). And also a lead in to a scene I think a few people have been waiting quite a while for... :D

Awww man what a perfect cliffhanger to leave it at. I just get so into it that when it's done a little piece of me dies. This is so good, keep it up :)

Yay another chapter :D I really think they should do an expansion of KS from the girls point of view and take your Hanako Story. Its really awesome how you portrait her and her thoughts. I really can't imagine her being any different than this. Keep it up. And as i said i'm really looking forward to some stuff in Chapter 4 from her point of view :D But for now yay Billiard in town next chapter~ I think this might be one of the less morbid chapters from Hanakos point of view again

I've been looking forward to this chapter for a long time. The next one will be incredibly short, but there are reasons for that and I hope those reasons will make perfect sense to those who have already completed Hanako's arc in the original game. For now, this is a pretty lengthy chapter compared to recent ones, so hopefully it'll be worth reading :D.

The meaning behind the title is pretty simple yet also complex. On its most superficial level, it's one of my favourite songs by Ellie Goulding and I was listening to it today. On another level, the lyrics to that song kind of fit Hanako and her feelings and situation, if you listen to it, which I recommend doing. Also, a halcyon is a type of bird, specifically a kingfisher, which to be fair you don't find in cages, but sometimes I see Hanako as a caged bird of sorts who wants to be free, and considers her closest friends to be that cage, which she isn't strong enough to break free of, in her own mind...

A very nice addition as usual I'm cheering for you Trivun Keep up the good work!

It had quite a nice flow to it. Not sure how else to describe it... Good work!
We still seem to have different takes on her thought processes in a couple situations, which threw me off a bit still, however, you continue to do a good job writing out her character further. :)
And sorry I didn't give any feedback last time, I apparently missed it somehow... >_<

Krovius:
A very nice addition as usual I'm cheering for you Trivun Keep up the good work!

Thanks very much :D

Yuuka Kazami:
Yay another chapter :D I really think they should do an expansion of KS from the girls point of view and take your Hanako Story. Its really awesome how you portrait her and her thoughts. I really can't imagine her being any different than this. Keep it up. And as i said i'm really looking forward to some stuff in Chapter 4 from her point of view :D But for now yay Billiard in town next chapter~ I think this might be one of the less morbid chapters from Hanakos point of view again

I wish they would do an expansion like that, but we all know there's no way anything new is going to come along KS-wise from 4 Leaf (aside from the fan translations and the art books, of course :P). Truth be told, I wish I'd gotten into the project when it was still in development and had tried to join 4LS back then, but when I discovered KS it was much too late and I wasn't as interested then anyway as I later became :(. A missed opportunity, methinks...

NoOne852:
It had quite a nice flow to it. Not sure how else to describe it... Good work!
We still seem to have different takes on her thought processes in a couple situations, which threw me off a bit still, however, you continue to do a good job writing out her character further. :)
And sorry I didn't give any feedback last time, I apparently missed it somehow... >_<

No worries about the feedback, just happy to see you're still enjoying the story :D. And I think everyone is going to have conflicting views, you should see some of the debates that have raged in the thread on the official 4LS forums site where I've been posting this. Those guys can get pretty fierce defending their own point of view! Usually against each other rather than me, though there have been instances where I've had to defend my own portrayal of Hanako in certain scenes... xD

This is one of the shortest, if not the shortest, chapters I've written so far, so apologies for the delay. However, it leads in to something that we've all been waiting for, and yet you'll have to wait that bit longer to see just where we're going for now... ;)

This is the shortest chapter yet, but I hope I've given it just the right emotion. The next chapter will be forthcoming, hopefully within the next couple of days.

Trivun:
Snip

Aawwwwwwwwwwww- the feels! Wow, that was... More if a punch then I thought. Sure I've layed the game and already knew what section of it you were speaking of. But I literally expected Hisao to say "Want to head out and have tea with me?" But instead he said the opposite and THIS IS WHY Hanako's feelings are hurt. Now I can see why the arc ends up heading towards the bad. Also proves my point that Hisao is oblivious and pretty... dumb for not doing what is right.

Thanks for writing this chapter. I really need to continue doing my LP anyhow seeing things like this from Katawa Shoujo is what made me start the LP in the first place.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked