If Obsidian made ___

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Today I was thinking about Space Wizards 3 (Mass Effect 3) and I got to thinking; how would it have been different if Obsidian made it.
For those of you unfamiliar with Obsidian, they mostly make RPGs, and sometimes make buggy sequels with greater RPG elements to other developers games. (See KoTOR 2, Fallout: New Vegas)
Any fun ideas in this regard?

Edit: It seems I should clarify that this thread is about any theoretical sequels made by Obsidian, not just Space Wizards.

I can just imagine...
I'll have accidentally killed or injured Anderson and my whole game would be screwed. Start new game!

Instead of Space Brat, we have Yes Man.

Win.

Yes, because copy pasting the level up system from FO3 really enriched my FONV experience -.-

Obsidian is good, but I really don't think they should touch certain series (Mass Effect being one of them)

Well, we wouldn't have had to go through all that shit at the end.

An army of Reapers V's me and my Fat Man (wash your dirty minds out you know what I meant)....

If their work on NWN2 is any indication, it simply wouldn't work.
Fucking annoying too.

Saviordd1:
Yes, because copy pasting the level up system from FO3 really enriched my FONV experience -.-

Obsidian is good, but I really don't think they should touch certain series (Mass Effect being one of them)

Because Fallout 3 Oblivion with guns was the first Fallout game amirite ?

And NWN 2 was superior to NWN, campaign and expansion wise. KotOR 2 was also better than 1.

And yea, a series like ME is best left for Bioware. Obsidian just needs to loose the publishers and make a real RPG, like they really want to.

It seems I should clarify that this thread is about any theoretical sequels made by Obsidian, not just Space Wizards.
What if Obsidian made Dragon Age: II for example?

Anthraxus:

Saviordd1:

Because Fallout 3 Oblivion with guns was the first Fallout game amirite ?

And NWN 2 was superior to NWN, campaign and expansion wise. KotOR 2 was also better than 1.

Because that's what I said?
I said that copying the system was stupid, which made NV stupid roleplaying wise.
Read better.

I wouldn't know about NWN I never played them

and KOTOR two was a broken basket of fail that raped my heart.

Souplex:
It seems I should clarify that this thread is about any theoretical sequels made by Obsidian, not just Space Wizards.

My blind monkey could have made DA2 better, that said if I HAD to choose I wouldn't mind Obsidian taking a crack at the Elder Scrolls series.

Souplex:

Well it would of been a hell of alot better, that's for sure. But they shouldn't, that's Biowares vision. As the other sequels they did like KotOR and NWN 2 was based on already existing worlds. Not Bioware's.

What if Obsidian made a sequel to Alpha Protocol? Whoa. Crazy, I know.

Oh, oh, here's a good one: What if Obsidian made Deus Ex?

Or, or, what if they made a South Park RPG? Haha, that would be so ridiculous, I'd think it was an April Fool's joke!

Saviordd1:

I said that copying the system was stupid, which made NV stupid roleplaying wise.
Read better.

The perk system was already in place from Fallot 1 and 2 and NV was MUCH better role playing wise. God, get a fucking clue.

And why would you want them to use these other devs shitty worlds, they should either come up with their own ideas or use an already established p&p system, like D&D or WoD

Anthraxus:

Saviordd1:

Read better.

The perk system was already in place from Fallot 1 and 2 and NV was much better role playing wise. God, get a fucking clue.

How was it better though? Your character became overpowered as hell and the perk system was okay, but again your character became god, not very good for roleplaying.

Saviordd1:

Anthraxus:

Saviordd1:

Read better.

The perk system was already in place from Fallot 1 and 2 and NV was much better role playing wise. God, get a fucking clue.

How was it better though? Your character became overpowered as hell and the perk system was okay, but again your character became god, not very good for roleplaying.

What are you talking about ? It was Beth that gives you a perk EVERY level and too many books that gave you PERMANENT skill increases, instead of just temporary ones. I think your confusing the two games here.

Bethesda are the ones that want you to/let you create god like characters.

Maybe Obsidian should have a go at making a new Killer instinct game (I know they didnt make it originally) it would either be amazing or absolutely horrendous but at least something like this may get them to be a bit stricter on buggy gameplay while I am interested on what ideas they could bring into the rest of the game.

Saviordd1:

Anthraxus:

Saviordd1:

Read better.

Actually, your character is much more specialized in New Vegas than in Fallout 3. Fallout 3 gave you a perk for every level, where New Vegas gave you one only every other level. I think the skill point totals are roughly the same. But if you have Old World Blues, there is a new trait (not a perk, but a trait that you pick at the start of the game) that sets the level cap to 30. That's what the cap was before all the DLC. So you can remained fairly specialized as far as your skill point allocations go. I almost always take that trait. I don't like being god-like. I felt like the perks in New Vegas were more interesting too. Most of the skill boost ones were removed or reworked, and there were more perks. That made deciding which ones to take even tougher. New Vegas perks vs Fallout 3 perks, in case you need a refresher.

One of my characters actually focused on non-combat skills. It's a surprisingly fun way to go, as there are tons of skill checks in the game. It makes for great roleplaying.

And on the flip-side, I had a 2 Intelligence character who specialized in Explosives and Unarmed. It was also great fun, especially with some of the low-Int dialogue options (the Repconn HQ one is priceless).

OT: If Obsidian made Uncharted, every love interest would die. Nate would grow colder from his mass killing sprees and would develop a heavy drinking addiction. Sully would feel like a failure, and would bitterly withdraw from the world. The villains would be more sympathetic, and there would be an option to join them and then fight all your old friends.

And there wouldn't be four games in the series. Everyone would be dead or disenfranchised after the first game.

What if Obsidian worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic's script? Then Karpyshin wouldn't have destroyed everything that the second game made.

I think we can all conclude that there would a lot more bugs. Also I don't care why they have more bugs, and don't tell me.

I'll take a better game with more bugs any day. Just don't buy it on release and wait for some fixes/patches. It gets better with age, unlike shitty writing/design. (which never gets fixed)

It'd be a hell of a lot buggier, and odds are good it'd probably be a piece of crap. Obsidian needs to stop making sequels to other people's games. They managed to pull it off for New Vegas because they were mostly making a sequel to Fallout 2, which was more or less theirs.

Also, 'Space Wizards 3'? Why would you call it that?

If Obsidian made the sequel/reboot of Need for Speed: Most Wanted:

- Your car would spend two thirds of the game in the garage being fixed...
- ...but the snarky dialog between you and your mechanic would be of a pretty high standard
- Also there would be absolutely no moral difference between the cops and the street racers
- Car handling physics would probably suck

The above game sounds terrible, but I know it's still better than what the Burnout mob are going to turn out :P

Oh, and dear gawd, please never let them touch Mass Effect...

Saviordd1:

and KOTOR two was a broken basket of fail that raped my heart.

Gameplay wise, you're right. Story-wise however, it completely blew the first one away. In fact, Kotor 2's story and one of its main characters are still regarded as the greatest pieces of writing in any RPG ever.

Kotor 1's writing was merely above average and the only thing that puts it above the average RPG is because of its plot twist.

Saviordd1:

Same case for FO3 really. My biggest complaint about FO3 is still its story, but seeing as Bethesda made it (as they've never written a good story in their life), I wasn't really expecting too much anyway.

Mass Effect was a Space Opera, and Obsidian's (Avellone's) best work was on small, personal stories like PST and MOTB. I have no burning desire to see what their version of the end of Shepard's saga would have been. A different game set in the same universe? Sure. Ideally we would have gotten a ME3 made by Good Bioware, or at the very least Bioware before they went off the rails completely. Alas, it was not to be.

Slightly off topic, but I'll never understand why people keep lionizing the writing in New Vegas. Maybe they found it to be such a breath of fresh air after the non-plot of FO3 that they're overreacting, but NV was a pretty goddam mediocre story. I enjoyed it because of the freedom it offered, but I enjoyed FO3 for the same bloody reason.

Courses for horses, I suppose.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Also, 'Space Wizards 3'? Why would you call it that?

Because its about wizards in space (Biotics) who go on adventures with space Dwarves, (Turians) space Elves, (Asari) and space Gnomes (Salarians) in order to defeat space C'thulhu. (Reapers)

Saviordd1:

I'm only quoting you to say that your posts are made about 100% more awesome when read in Garrus Vakarian's voice.

That said, Obsidian has a habit of making great characters, putting them in decent games, and then botching the story. I mean, say what you will about Mass Effect 3's original ending, but do you really think it would be better in the hands of the people who gave us KOTOR 2's ending?

More references to games other than Mass Effect and sequels to Obsidian games would be nice...

Souplex:

If obsidian had done DA2 it would have been a great game with bugs in it instead of a steaming turd.

If obsidian started doing the Final Fantasy franchise, they might be able to rescue it from it's current nose-dive by coming up with some interesting storylines and characters... although I'm not sure where they'd fit all their trademarked bugs into it.
Just think! If Obsidian and Squareenix teamed up, you could have a game that was beautiful, AND fun to play!

thebobmaster:

Saviordd1:

I'm only quoting you to say that your posts are made about 100% more awesome when read in Garrus Vakarian's voice.

That said, Obsidian has a habit of making great characters, putting them in decent games, and then botching the story. I mean, say what you will about Mass Effect 3's original ending, but do you really think it would be better in the hands of the people who gave us KOTOR 2's ending?

The game was rushed out by Lucas Arts. I know people get tired of hearing excuses, but it's so true. And it's especially true for KotOR II. Their dev time was suddenly cut by a year just so it could see a December release. Have you ever seen the amount of content there is in the restored content mod? It's massive. And those were just the things they had done enough work on so modders could fill in the blanks.

DustyDrB:

thebobmaster:

Saviordd1:

The game was rushed out by Lucas Arts. I know people get tired of hearing excuses, but it's so true. And it's especially true for KotOR II. Their dev time was suddenly cut by a year just so it could see a December release. Have you ever seen the amount of content there is in the restored content mod? It's massive. And those were just the things they had done enough work on so modders could fill in the blanks.

True. But then again, EA also has a history of rushing games. DA2 says hi. And while a rush may hold true for KOTOR 2's story, it doesn't cover the story of Alpha Protocol, which was by far the least impressive thing about that game. Or the mostly generic story of New Vegas.

I'm just saying, people complaining about the story issues of Mass Effect wold be complaining far worse if Obsidian was working on it. Hell, to this day, there are complaints about the story from KOTOR 2.

It might actually have some skill checks and choices and consequences too, as opposed to Bioware's illusion of choice.

To be honest I've never liked any Obsidian made sequel better than the one before it.

I liked Alpha Protocol though. Sure it looked rougher than a badger's bum but I really enjoyed the story which could be played in any order and it'd still make perfect sense, the characters would even make small comments about what you'd done before.

Small things perhaps but they really made me overlook the game's many faults.

In short, keep Obsidian away from sequels and on their own IPs.

Catch up time

DustyDrB:
-snip-

The perks weren't that much of an issue, they're perks and still broken. That said you really could still ignore specialization, take some extra intelligence and add the educated perk and your tag skills would be 100 by at least level 20, giving you room to become absolute god by 35 (Though the perk you mentioned in Old World Blues exists so there is that)

Anthraxus:
-snip-

Yes, because changing the perk amounts REALLY fixed the whole no need to specialize past 15 thing didn't it? Get over it, Fallout games suck at making you specialize, every single one did that, not just FO3.

thebobmaster:
-snip-

EVERYTHING is more awesome with Garrus's voice.

Also nice point, that ending...dear god.

Anthraxus:
-snip-

Shitty excuse is a shitty excuse, if I put out MY money for a supposedly FINISHED product I expect it to be well...FINISHED, I had the same problems with FO3.

Anthraxus:
-snip-

Because choosing between shooting something or talking that person out of getting shot is TRUE roleplaying, unlike story choices that at least get acknowledged no matter where you are.

(And while we're on Story Acknowledgements should I even get into the whole Veronica and Christine shit storm that was Dead Money?)

SpaceBat:
-snip-

I had to slog through KOTOR 2, it was painful in every way, maybe it was because the characters weren't all that interesting.

I never said FO3 didn't do that (Something people don't seem to get from my post) I'm saying that the RP of NV wasn't any better than FO3.

And I liked FO3's story for one reason, fucking set up, there was a lot of set up and motivation. FONV was just "Yeah, there's vegas, go get the guy who shot you." FO3 actually sat you down and gave you a reason to care.

Sorry, you just sound like you have shit taste to me. Probably the type that prefers chef boyardee to a good Italian restaurant.

Saviordd1:

And I liked FO3's story for one reason, fucking set up, there was a lot of set up and motivation. FONV was just "Yeah, there's vegas, go get the guy who shot you." FO3 actually sat you down and gave you a reason to care.

I find the guy who shot me a much better motivator then dad who left and specifically went out of his way to try and make sure you wouldn't follow. Honestly, FO3's opening gave me the same exact motivation to follow the main quest as any other Bethesda game, none. New Vegas's opening made me want to find the cocky sonofabitch that shot me.

Anthraxus:
Sorry, you just sound like you have shit taste to me. Probably the type that prefers chef boyardee to a good Italian restaurant.

It's called opinion. Everybody has one. Just because somebody disagrees with yours doesn't mean they have shitty taste, just that things taste differently to them.
Try to not be a douche next time someone doesn't agree with your opinion, as your bound to get a lot of different ones on the internet.

I don't like Italian food, go figure.

I can imagine Obsidian making Jade Empire 2, I think that would be quite good.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked