Buyer's Remorse

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

*Looks at console games* Nope!
*Looks at Steam library* Yes. Damn Steam sale made me buy about $80 worth of games. I realized that I'm not going to enjoy most of them that often thanks to my schedule for the next year. I got a new job....

The_Lost_King:
Gothic 3. The thing doesn't even work. I tried to attack the orcs in the beginning and it didn't let me the orc hit me I fell on my bum and couldn't get up. Piece of shit., glad I only paid 2.50, sadly that 2.50 could have gone to a more deserving game.

Yeah, that game was just a mess. Community fixes only did so much, in the end it was big on ideas, short on execution.
For me I suppose Brink, but then I didn't have much in the way of expectations getting it, for $5, I was actually more disappointed than i thought I'd be. No joy in any part of it, I played it till I got a platinum, then spent some time reflecting on things I could have better wasted my time on, like buying $5 in lemons and squeezing the juice into my eyes, or eating $5 worth of marshmallow peeps as fast as I could, or.... you get the idea.

clippen05:

A3sir:

Black Arrow Officer:
I recently bought ARMA 2 during the sale. I usually like hyper realistic games, but the controls and user interface are so god damn horrible that it kind of ruins the experience for me. Plus, the game keeps crashing and suffering from loading screen freezes along with numerous annoying bugs from clipping to my A.I teammates refusing to do anything. No thanks. SWAT 4 is a much better game with less bugs, better controls, a better user interface, better A.I and all the realism.

Tip: You don't buy ARMA II to play ARMA II.

Tip: Some people like realistic shooters, considering his comment, I'd say he does.

How is that a tip? I don't think you know what a tip is.

Its been a few years but, Bioshock. I wanted to like this game but its just not that good, I was so disappointed I don't think I even got close to finishing it. Probably the worst $5 I have ever spent on a game.

For me it is Racing and Hockey games. I get in these moods sometimes that I just want to play a racing game or hockey. Like for example Forza 3. I'll go out and buy it and a few days be like alright that was kinda fun, but now I doubt I'll play this game for enough two years.

I don't allow myself to spend as much as I used to though, so now I really only buy something if I REALLY want it. I only bought two games from the Steam Sale, Killing Floor and Dear Esther. I am very happy with both my choices although with the price that I paid for them how could I not be happy?

I have already put 23 hours into Killing Floor, what an amazing co-op shooter. Next I want to get Counter Strike: Source....or maybe wait for CS:GO. Not sure. Even if I do wait for GO, I'll have to wait for it to go on sale.

And as for Dear Esther, it isn't for everyone. In fact most people I have talked to about it hated it. But for someone like me, this "game" was right up my ally. Loved it. It will be like Portal, Heavy Rain, Shadow of the Collossus, Orcarina of Time and Bioshock. A game I will play every six monthes to a year just for the experience.

I don't think I've ever had much buyer's remorse (mainly since I don't buy a lot of games), but sometimes I still feel disappointment. Most recently its been with D3. I look at the game, and what was there at launch, what's been done, and what's happening now, and I feel sad, because the game is just not there? IDK how to describe it, but once you get to the end, there isn't anything to do. Its a shame though, because I see the potential of the game, and honestly with a few quick fixes (maybe 2-3 weeks of work, and some as little as 2-3 people in an afternoon), the game could be so amazing. Such a shame.

Master of Orion 3, MOO2 was one of my all time favories tbs titles and 3 was the biggest let down ever, especially when i purchased it on day 1.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier. It's just not as interesting as I thought it would be and I probably won't finish it. Wish I'd bought Max Payne 3 instead.

Black Arrow Officer:
I recently bought ARMA 2 during the sale. I usually like hyper realistic games, but the controls and user interface are so god damn horrible that it kind of ruins the experience for me. Plus, the game keeps crashing and suffering from loading screen freezes along with numerous annoying bugs from clipping to my A.I teammates refusing to do anything. No thanks. SWAT 4 is a much better game with less bugs, better controls, a better user interface, better A.I and all the realism.

I also bought ARMA 2 and the expansion pack, but I have no remorse.
Why?
Because Day Z.
Only in Alpha stage and still fun.
Even better with a few friends, all you gotta do is watch out for the survivor bastards murdering you.

Only remorse I do have is that I had to buy such a crappy game to enjoy such an awesome mod.

Ehh...

Mafia II.

It has a great story, but it's too god-damn short.

I returned it the week I got it. Very disappointing.

Well, half my Steam list is full of games I haven't played much or at all, but I take solace in the fact that I never paid more than $5.00 for these games (except Portal 2, curse you Valve!), and that I really do wanna play them... I just like Total War far, far more than most of them!

ScrabbitRabbit:
I regret buying some of the bundles because I won't play all of the games. With a couple I only wanted one of them but my brain was like "but for that price you may as well get them all!" and now I have several games I'll probably never play.

I'm stupid, I know :p

The best thing you can do now is make yourself set aside some time for those games that you think you won't play. Otherwise you'll never know if one of those games was some sort of hidden gem you missed. I bought the Humble Introversion Bundle and later they added Dungeons of Dredmor to the pack which I had been kind of poo-pooing in the back of my own head for a while but I ended up trying it out and it became my favorite game from the pack.

OT: I'd say probably Demolition Inc. but that's really only because I've not been able to play it because it keeps crashing for some bullshit reason that the devs "can't figure out" and all of their workarounds and other people's solutions don't do an damn thing to fix it.

I purchased L.A. Noire for $3.74AUD, I only regret the purchase because I'm still playing Diablo 3. I dislike neglecting games, in fact, the majority of the games I purchase get neglected...

closest thing I have to buyers remorse is when I got tired of waiting for the sale and I traded for a copy of Recettear only to have it go on sale a day later to such an extent that I might have been able to get 2 for the amount that I spent if I had found the right trader

Trilligan:
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

I figured, at $2.49, why not try it.

I want my $2.49 back.

I spent a bit of time playing the demo and it is so incredibly complicated that I am really happy that I didn't buy it just cause it was cheap

Trilligan:

I want my $2.49 back.

I should download my copy of that at some point. It seems to be really polarizing. I've seen people like you, and others who call it the greatest game of this generation.

OT: Nothing from the Steam sale that I regret buying.

Hmm.

Sanctum. Just bored the fuck out of me.
Arcania Gothic IV. TERRIBLE game.
I'd say Fallout Tactics but that was bundled with Fallout 1 and 2. Those 2 games... I don't really REGRET having them, and I do plan to actually finish them, they're just VERY hard for me to get into...

Saviordd1:

TizzytheTormentor:
I bought Dragon Age: Origins full price...I felt like an idiot, mainly because I was told it was like Oblivion...It doesn't hold a damn candle to Oblivion.

Last Remnant, full price, only because it was in shops for 20 euro a week later.

Mirrors Edge, 20 euro, what an annoying fucking game

Catherine, full price, the game-play was fucking wretched, but the narrative and characters were fucking brilliant. I did one playthrough and will not do another.

I have more, but I would rather not.

Who told you Dragon Age was like oblivion? Because they are totally different games for totally different people, that person is an idiot (Sorry if their your friend)

Alpha Protocol. It was broken and when I finally did manage to play the damn thing it was boring.

Also Freedom Force, because it won't run and Steam has horrible customer support.

Do whatever you have to do to get FF running, it is great. Can you run the executable without opening Steam? If you can and you are running Vista or 7 Pro you can run it in XP mode which runs Windows XP in a Virtual Machine. That might be your best bet. God I love the Freedom Force games. It helps to have a fondness for Silver Age comics...and awesomeness!

Best Supervillain music ever...

Anyway, I regret buying Saints Row 3 this past sale, not because it is particularly poorly made, it just seems to be made for misogynistic thirteen year old boys. Not. My. Cup. Of. Tea.

As for Saints Row 2...well THAT game taught me a valuable lesson about shitty ports.

solemnwar:
snip
I'd say Fallout Tactics but that was bundled with Fallout 1 and 2. Those 2 games... I don't really REGRET having them, and I do plan to actually finish them, they're just VERY hard for me to get into...

Fallout Tactics is a lot like Fallout 3, it's a good game, just not a very good Fallout game. It used to be a very popular multiplayer game, back when my friends and I used to hold backyard LANs.

Uhhh, none. Most of it was for my girlfriend, who loves and plays the hell out of games.

kyosai7:

Trilligan:

I want my $2.49 back.

I should download my copy of that at some point. It seems to be really polarizing. I've seen people like you, and others who call it the greatest game of this generation.

The interface is needlessly complicated, it has a plethora of stats that are positively arcane in their implementation, the story is tremendously convoluted, the learning curve is hyperbolic, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what language they're speaking.

Credit where it's due - there are a lot of innovative ideas in the game. It's just, the thing is kind of a huge mess.

octafish:

Saviordd1:

TizzytheTormentor:
I bought Dragon Age: Origins full price...I felt like an idiot, mainly because I was told it was like Oblivion...It doesn't hold a damn candle to Oblivion.

Last Remnant, full price, only because it was in shops for 20 euro a week later.

Catherine, full price, the game-play was fucking wretched, but the narrative and characters were fucking brilliant. I did one playthrough and will not do another.

Who told you Dragon Age was like oblivion? Because they are totally different games for totally different people, that person is an idiot (Sorry if their your friend)

Alpha Protocol. It was broken and when I finally did manage to play the damn thing it was boring.

Also Freedom Force, because it won't run and Steam has horrible customer support.

Do whatever you have to do to get FF running, it is great. Can you run the executable without opening Steam? If you can and you are running Vista or 7 Pro you can run it in XP mode which runs Windows XP in a Virtual Machine. That might be your best bet. God I love the Freedom Force games. It helps to have a fondness for Silver Age comics...and awesomeness!

Best Supervillain music ever...

Anyway, I regret buying Saints Row 3 this past sale, not because it is particularly poorly made, it just seems to be made for misogynistic thirteen year old boys. Not. My. Cup. Of. Tea.

As for Saints Row 2...well THAT game taught me a valuable lesson about shitty ports.

solemnwar:
snip

Fallout Tactics is a lot like Fallout 3, it's a good game, just not a very good Fallout game. It used to be a very popular multiplayer game, back when my friends and I used to hold backyard LANs.

I don't know, I tried everything and got nothing.

Trilligan:

kyosai7:

Trilligan:

I want my $2.49 back.

The interface is needlessly complicated, it has a plethora of stats that are positively arcane in their implementation, the story is tremendously convoluted, the learning curve is hyperbolic, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what language they're speaking.

Credit where it's due - there are a lot of innovative ideas in the game. It's just, the thing is kind of a huge mess.

Yeah, I downloaded it and had zero idea what was going on and the fact that I had to watch a TRAINING VIDEO COURSE to know what was going on did not help things.

I lose the thread, I bought Kane and Lynch 1 and 2 on the christmas sale and never even installed them and have no motivation to ever play either of them. Why did I buy them to begin with? I think they were ridiculously cheap, but my time is more valuable then whatever those games are.

Recently?

Witcher 2 - Not a bad game, but two or 3 weeks after I bought it (and I still haven't gotten to play it), it went on sale for 30% off on GOG. I. Was. PISSED.

Guild Wars 2 - I just don't like the direction it went.

Kind of long winded..

I got Darksiders for cheap, already beat it, loved it.

I currently have Borderlands, CaveStory+, Metro 2033, and Binding of Issac.

Binding I'm not really worried about because it's an arcade game but I'll be slightly remorse if I don't beat the other three before I get distracted by something else.

For me it's Universe Sandbox. It's still kind of cool, and I knew it was more of a toy than a game when going in, but I dunno -- you'd think turning the sun into a black hole and throwing meteors at the earth would be more entertaining than this. The upside is it was only $2.49, so it's not a huge loss. Plus, it pads my list of games of Raptr that I'm highly ranked in, since it seems like most people don't play it for more than a couple of minutes. I was in the top 60% of players after half an hour of play...

oh thats easy fallout 3. The game only cost me $30 because i got it when circit city went out of buisness but it wasnt even worth that. it was buggy as hell (yes i patched didnt help) you can be attack by super mutants within 5 mins of leaving the vault if you take a wrong turn, and dont even get me started of the story......just uhg

Fallout 1 has some graphical shit going on because my computer is too good I guess xD I just couldn't fix it. I'm not very computer-savvy. Good thing it was only $5.00.

Khazoth:
So, especially with the steam sale ending today, we all have bought games we wish we didn't. What is your biggest case of buyer's remorse recently?

For me, recently I bought X3, and it is just so obtuse that I couldn't get into it. I never got past the tutorial

Haha I had the same problem, I stuck with it for 8 hours and then gave up because it's just way too complicated

Others have already said it. Diablo 3. Even worse, I picked up a collector's edition on a whim. That was $140 worth of buyer's remorse.

Saviordd1:

TizzytheTormentor:

yeah unfortunately you need an older system to run freedom force. last i heard its pretty much xp only

I only bought two. Binding of Isaac and Jamestown.

I have my regrets about buying the Isaac complete collection because the DLC is total shit and adds a few new cool things in exchange for a massive helping of bullshit enemies and level layouts where the rest of the game used to be.

I wouldn't say I regret buying Jamestown as such, given the price. But holy shit was that game short. Being something of a bullet hell aficionado caused me to fly through the whole game on Legendary in less than an hour and Divine in another hour. Divine, incidentally, is the hardest difficulty you can play initially, beating it unlocks the hardest setting.

Then came Judgement difficulty, which is so laughably poorly balanced with comparison to the rest of the difficulties that I don't even want to bother with it. I mean, I paid a pittance for the game but I still don't feel like I got my money's worth since I mullered the thing on the second to hardest setting but the hardest is so ridiculously out of my league I don't even want to bother, such a pity.

nikki191:

Saviordd1:

TizzytheTormentor:

yeah unfortunately you need an older system to run freedom force. last i heard its pretty much xp only

Get them off GOG. I got Freedom Force vs The Third Reich and it runs like a charm on my Win7 64-bit. GOG optimizes games for modern OSes :)

Also, Alpha Protocol was amazing.

I bought the Force Unleashed 2 and deeply regret it. Horribad game.

Depends really.

My computer can't handle CoD4, which I bought for around twenty bucks when I was feeling a tad bit optimistic that day. I've only put 14 minutes into the STALKER game that I bought, which barely ran on my computer at the lowest settings but there was still a serious disconnect between how long it took my guy to react to the control input. I've heard how challenging it is, and it's not exactly something I was to try and play on a laggy computer.

There's also Counter Strike: Source, which isn't exactly a game you can play casually. Especially on a track pad with no mouse. Still had a load a fun making the bots all use knives while I run around with whatever gun I feel like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked