So, I want to build my first gaming PC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hi there Escapiads.

I've been a gamer for bloody ages now (Approx. 18 years) and I've played LOADS of PC games.
But I recently noticed, I can't run about half of my Steam library. And the other half doesn't run at all well.

So, what does one do in that situation?

Build a gaming PC.

Now, I am a complete idiot with these sorts of things, so getting to the point I'm at now took ages.
But, I've put together a list of components and stuff that I'd like to buy.

Thing is, I've no idea whether these things will work together. Or whether they'll be any good for me...
I have a budget of just over 1000.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could take a look at my list and tell me whether:

1) A computer built using my choices would work
2) That computer would run games well (e.g. run Skyrim on the highest settings)
3) I've missed anything
4) I could have chosen better components

Seriously, if anyone even pays any attention to this, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

My list is linked to below for your perusal:

My lovely eBuyer list

You can ditch the heatsink and the arctic silver. May as well up to an i7.

Unless you really screw it up, the processor should come with a heatsink rated for it under a full load.

But, not a bad build. I'd say a little too expensive, but I have no idea about prices over there.

Everything should work well together.

oplinger:
You can ditch the heatsink and the arctic silver. May as well up to an i7.

Unless you really screw it up, the processor should come with a heatsink rated for it under a full load.

But, not a bad build. I'd say a little too expensive, but I have no idea about prices over there.

Everything should work well together.

Nope.

OP

Stick with the i5, it's fine.

Might be spending a bit much on the motherboard but as you have 1000 it's fine.

I would drop to a 7850, the extra power for 50 isn't worth it in my eyes.

750W is hilariously overpowered. Drop to 500W, crossfire isn't worth it.

Change to an IPS monitor.

You may want to get a cheaper motherboard and change to a 670.

Matthew94:

So there isn't much of a difference between the 7870 and 7850?

Seriously? 750W is too much...?
I have to admit I was just trying to be safe with the high amount, I'm glad to hear I don't have to go that high!

IPS huh? I'll look into that!

Thanks, both of you!

Mike Laserbeam:

Matthew94:

I have to admit I was just trying to be safe with the high amount, I'm glad to hear I don't have to go that high!

Thanks, both of you!

You could run 2 7870's on 750W quite comfortably.

You can overclock a 7850 to stock 7950 levels, the 7870 isn't that much better. Not worth 50 extra anyway.

Though don't rule out downsizing your build and getting a 670. Doing things like downsizing your PSU, switching to a DVD player, maybe getting a cheaper case or a cheaper motherboard and you could easily get a GTX 670.

Part of me wants to recommend a Gigabyte motherboard, thou that would prolly ruin your budget.

I wouldn't recommend scaling down on your PSU tbh. Yes Matthew is right. 750W is overpower, but exp has taught me that buying the PSU you need now will be to small later. Way to many times I have had friends doing changes and adding PSU to that change.

Since this is your first build I dont want have you thinking to much about overclocking just yet.

Seconding Matthew on the i5 comment. i7 dont really give you anything extra that you can use. As far as I know the only difference is that i7 uses hyperthreading.

Heh. I just built a rig using the same motherboard, processor, psu, and a hyper 212 evo+. Thus far performance has been admirable, I haven't tried to push it very hard yet in terms of clock settings and benchmarks (laziness). Skyrim is pretty forgiving, even my old computer could play it with ultra-textures.

The arctic silver is probably redundant, Coolermaster's paste is was fine for my Evo. I don't know if their directions have gotten better, though, so I suggest watching a video on how to install your heat sink. The aftermarket heat sink alone is probably overkill unless you're going to overclock.

The P8Z77-V had a couple of minor pitfalls:
1) It took a ridiculous amount of force to get the mounting screw out of the wifi card's bracket the first time.
2) For the price, it lacks a debug read out. Those can be particularly helpful. Instead you get a handful of LEDs and beep codes to debug errors.
3) Speaking of which, I encountered a bizarre hardware component failure error during set up. Re-seating my video card fixed it.

Purely on me, the RAM slots actually have a nice system which I misunderstood. In any event, it's easy to leave the bottom of a DIMM slightly unseated (which will get you a memory bad LED during POST), you have to look closely to see it. It turns out it has a clip on the bottom that moves out of the way, so some mild additional pressure will cause the DIMM to seat fully and the clip to snap in place after you've latched it in on top.

Otherwise, the motherboard has been fine. The software, including the driver for the built in Wi-Fi card, in particular has worked great with Windows 7. A relief as I've been plagued by Wi-Fi driver and reception issues with Linksys/XP/Vista.

I would guess that 750W is overkill for what is listed unless you want to leave Crossfire open as an upgrade option. The modular cables are great. Even so, cable management is a pain when building for the first time. I managed to get all mine tucked out of the way in my Arc Midi but even it needed some pressure to get the side plate back on. Probably, being willing to deal with cable ties will solve that. I avoided them due to the hassle I had of cutting them in my old rig to replace parts.

One thing I will advocate is some kind of dual storage. I've currently got a 64-GB SSD as my system/boot disk (also makes some use of the new SATA ports on the P8Z77) while the games live on a regular HD. The SSD (and all the saves in my user folder) is automatically backed up to that. I've actually lost a hard drive (stupid Barracuda 720.11 firmware bug). Also, the boot time is fantastic.

I would ask yourself, do you really need a blu-ray drive? They're probably five times as expensive as a DVD drive, and rewritable Blu-rays are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive to be practical for back-up (plus, external hard drives work far better for back up than optical disks), leaving the only real use for them being watching Blu-ray movies.

If you plan on using your computer as your primary movie watching device, I would say go for the Blu-ray drive. However, if you don't, they really aren't worth it. Plus, if you do find that you are in serious need of a blu-ray drive, it's pretty much the easiest upgrade you can do.

Then, you can use the money you save from the blu-ray drive into a better graphics card.

Also, regarding graphics cards, they really don't need to have any more than 1GB of RAM (and even that's probably pushing it, but good luck finding a decent card with less). Once you have enough RAM for something, adding more won't increase performance (this applies to all RAM, not just video RAM).

Matthew94:

Mike Laserbeam:

Matthew94:

Thanks, both of you!

You can overclock a 7850 to stock 7950 levels, the 7870 isn't that much better. Not worth 50 extra anyway.

Though don't rule out downsizing your build and getting a 670. Doing things like downsizing your PSU, switching to a DVD player, maybe getting a cheaper case or a cheaper motherboard and you could easily get a GTX 670.

So, I'll go with you on the i5, because the power differences between some i5s and i7s are negligible. Though you'd never the less get better performance out of an i7.

I can't really agree on downgrading his power supply, for 2 reasons. 1 at 750 watts, he can take whatever he can throw at it, if he should ever need to upgrade.
2. If he ends up using 400 watts of a 500 watt power supply, it will degrade much faster than a 750 watt PSU, so the longevity of using the 750 watt makes it a far superior purchase.

Also downgrading the video card? No.

The 7850 would handle things fine, but 50 dollars for a significant upgrade in fillrates and FLOPS (especially texture filrates) they use about the same wattage, so the 7870 is more efficient, getting more GFLOPS/w.

You also say he can overclock the 7850 to 7950 levels. Big deal. The extra Hz you get from overclocking is not what gives you performance in a video card. The architectures differences bring out more performance than just a few Hz. (What you're saying is 50 Hz in memory speeds is going to give him an almost a 39% increase in performance. And that's with lower core clock speeds.)

oplinger:

Matthew94:

Mike Laserbeam:

Thanks, both of you!

So, I'll go with you on the i5, because the power differences between some i5s and i7s are negligible. Though you'd never the less get better performance out of an i7.

I can't really agree on downgrading his power supply, for 2 reasons. 1 at 750 watts, he can take whatever he can throw at it, if he should ever need to upgrade.
2. If he ends up using 400 watts of a 500 watt power supply, it will degrade much faster than a 750 watt PSU, so the longevity of using the 750 watt makes it a far superior purchase.

The 7850 would handle things fine, but 50 dollars for a significant upgrade in fillrates and FLOPS (especially texture filrates) they use about the same wattage, so the 7870 is more efficient, getting more GFLOPS/w.

You also say he can overclock the 7850 to 7950 levels. Big deal. The extra Hz you get from overclocking is not what gives you performance in a video card. The architectures differences bring out more performance than just a few Hz. (What you're saying is 50 Hz in memory speeds is going to give him an almost a 39% increase in performance. And that's with lower core clock speeds.)

I'm on my phone so I'll reply tomorrow but its 50 not 50 dollars, that's quite a large difference

Needed I said going for a 670 was the preferred choice

Edit might be as much as 70 actually

I notice a lack of storage in your list. Carrying over the HDD from your current PC I'm going to assume. You have an overclocking chip so I assume (again) you will overclock it? If so, that heatsink will do nicely and you won't need the Arctic Silver the supplied paste will be fine I think you'll even be fine with a single fan on it with Ivy Bridge (They run cooler than the Sandy's and don't overclock as high).

Other people's advice regarding GPUs is good, don't buy the fastest single card in a line-up, buy the second fastest and overclock it. Try to get a good non reference cooler version, they will be quieter and allow easier OC'ing.
I'd say get a 600ish PSU in case you want to add a bunch of discs, sound cards and tv tuners and the like later down the track. But I always over compensate with PSU's after having lost a couple of PCs due to dodgy ones.

I've just switched from onboard sound and a logitech 5.1 speaker set to a Asus Xonar sound card and ATH AD700 headphones and WOW. The pseudo surround is better than the actual 5.1 setup, if a little light in the bass.

Jeez.
I didn't expect this much help!

I really wish I had time to respond to you guys before work, but I'll have a read and reply this evening!

Thanks a lot guys!

P.s. I have an HDD sitting around I can use, and I've got a 2TB external harddrive

oplinger:

Right, like I said. The 7870 costs 50-80 more.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-radeon-hd-7850-twin-frozr-iii-oc-4800mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-900mhz-dl-dvi-hdmi-mdp

http://www.ebuyer.com/362481-msi-nvidia-amd-hd7870-oc-1050mhz-4800mhz-2048mb-256-bit-ddr5-twin-frozr-r7870tf-2gd5-oc

Here is a 7850 and 7870 with the same cooler, the 7870 is 86 more.

It's not just 50Hz extra memory speed. I OC'd my 7850's memory from 4.8Ghz effective to 5.8 Ghz effective. I also got the core speed to 1200-1250 Mhz (stock speeds are 850Mhz). That's a 32% OC in core speeds.

With the 7870 and 7950 you only get a few more texture units (and 1GB of VRAM more in the 7950) but the real world benefit isn't that much.

So yes, if you OC the 7850 right you can easily hit 7950 levels, the 7950 isn't 39% better anyway (if that's what you meant), in benchmarks the cards are all very close together in terms of game performance.

Now, on to the rest of your post.

Of course an i7 is better but it's not worth it compared to an i5 especially after you over clock it. I don't like to burn money, seeing as you recommend a 7870 I can't say the same for you.

500W is plenty, he wouldn't even be using 400W of the PSU.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-radeon-hd-7850-power-edition-oc-review/6

Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system. This setup is overclocked to 3.75 GHz. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). On average we are using roughly 50W to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc.

We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Measured power consumption R7850 power Edition OC

System in IDLE = 158W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 254W
Difference (GPU load) = 96W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 106 Watts

See that? Their system was only using 254W on FULL GPU load. In gaming you couldn't hit that so the power consumption would not be much higher if you put a lot of load on the CPU. Hell, the i5's TDP is only 77W.

The 7XXX cards are very efficient with power so 500W is enough. I don't like the "he could use 750W to upgrade later", that's nonsense. Most people don't use crossfire (too many issues) and components are becoming more efficient all the time so there is less and less need for a beefy PSU.

So yeah, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Mike Laserbeam:
Jeez.
I didn't expect this much help!

I really wish I had time to respond to you guys before work, but I'll have a read and reply this evening!

Thanks a lot guys!

P.s. I have an HDD sitting around I can use, and I've got a 2TB external harddrive

If you don't go down to a 7850 (which I have explained the benefits of in this post) then it may be worth (like I said before) downgrading some other parts (like the blu-ray player) and getting a GTX 670 which can best a non-overclocked 7970.

Anyway rant over, I sort of have a question myself (I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but i'm thinking it might be info useful to him aswell)

From what I understand is that most PCs don't make use of the features of PCI express 3.0, would that be down to the chipsets in some 3.0 mobos or CPUs?

I would rather buy a GPX card with 1 DVI and 1 VGA output, so I can also plug in to my TV or my old 19" CRT for retrogaming, would I lose any picture quality if I just plumed for a x2DVI card and DVI to VGA adaptor?

As people have said, you wont need the Arctic Silver. If your not overclocking, you can drop the heatsink too, the stock heatsink does just fine.

If you did want to save some money, then maybe a 650 watt one would be better, its more than you need and still gives a little breathing room in case you need it in future, and im saying this out of experience.

In most tests at 1920x1080 theres around 5-10 fps more for 7870's v 7850's so there isnt a lot in it, but that said, 5fps can make a big difference if its from 25 to 30.

If youve got the money, stick with the 7870 or better, if you think you might be wanting a couple of good nights out and the 50-80 take Matthews advice and get the 7850 instead, theres no massively bad option where your going to wake up in the morning and scream "Oh god what have i done!" unless all the money goes on alcohol that is...

EDIT: As someone else mentioned, given your getting all high quality stuff, it might be a good idea to spend 70 on a SSD to use for your boot drive, no point in only doing half a job :).

TrevHead:

Anyway rant over, I sort of have a question myself (I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but i'm thinking it might be info useful to him aswell)

From what I understand is that most PCs don't make use of the features of PCI express 3.0, would that be down to the chipsets in some 3.0 mobos or CPUs?

I would rather buy a GPX card with 1 DVI and 1 VGA output, so I can also plug in to my TV or my old 19" CRT for retrogaming, would I lose any picture quality if I just plumed for a x2DVI card and DVI to VGA adaptor?

PCI-E 3.0 isn't made use of fully as GPUs can't even saturate 16 lanes of PCI-E 2.0 yet. The only things that fully make use PCI-E 3.0 are PCI-E SSDs and it's 30,000 for 1TB so the average person won't own one.

You shouldn't lose a noticeable amount of quality by converting the signal from DVI to VGA though it's best ot to convert it at all methinks.

Matthew94:

You can overclock, but overclocking inevitably shortens life, even with after-market cooling.

Although I would recommend carrying out these changes. I would recommend this motherboard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z77-Extreme4-Motherboard-Supports-CrossFireX/dp/B007KTY4A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343135827&sr=8-1

trollpwner:

Matthew94:

You can overclock, but overclocking inevitably shortens life, even with after-market cooling.

Although I would recommend carrying out these changes. I would recommend this motherboard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z77-Extreme4-Motherboard-Supports-CrossFireX/dp/B007KTY4A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343135827&sr=8-1

Of course it's going to shorten the life of it but the cards last for ages anyway, you'll still get well over a generation out of it.

Hell, we have a card lying around so long that we've forgotten where it ever came from. Still works though.

Our X1300 Pro still works and is being used in our i5 machine while our 7850 gets repaired.

Matthew94:

trollpwner:

Matthew94:

Of course it's going to shorten the life of it but the cards last for ages anyway, you'll still get well over a generation out of it.

Hell, we have a card lying around so long that we've forgotten where it ever came from. Still works though.

Our X1300 Pro still works and is being used in our i5 machine while our 7850 gets repaired.

I was thinking of going for a 7850, but now I've seen this:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards+-+GPUs/Graphics+Cards+-+AMD/Radeon+HD+7950

Am I being an idiot, or would these be better than either the 7850/7870?
Plus, would they fit my current selections?

Oh man, way to double post!

May as well use this one to ask what anyone thinks of this slightly updated version of my list
http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/8539?%20UGC

Mike Laserbeam:

Matthew94:

trollpwner:

I was thinking of going for a 7850, but now I've seen this:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards+-+GPUs/Graphics+Cards+-+AMD/Radeon+HD+7950

Am I being an idiot, or would these be better than either the 7850/7870?
Plus, would they fit my current selections?

Yeah, the 7950 beats them both. That's a good price for the 7950, they must have had a price drop.

If you are worried about returning the cards in case they go faulty it may be worth paying 9 more to get the same card on Amazon as they are said to have a fantastic returns policy compared to most places. I believe they will just replace the card unlike most places which will try to repair the card first which takes 2 weeks minimum.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTX3D-Graphics-384-Bit-PCI-Express-Crossfire/dp/B0073TIZEO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1343162684&sr=8-4

I see you double posted, I'll take a look at the new build now.

Mike Laserbeam:

May as well use this one to ask what anyone thinks of this slightly updated version of my list

The monitor is out of stock but it was good that you got an E-IPS monitor. I would recommend a Super-IPS 20" Square Dell monitor but it shot up from 170 to 200 so I'd be a bit wary of telling people to get it now especially as you are just at your budget.

Still, just having an IPS monitor will improve image quality by quite a bit.

It's good you downsized your PSU. 650W is fine, you could do with less but at least it's not as much as 750W so that's fine.

You may be changing the 7870 to a 7950 so that's still on the cards.

I assume you will be overclocking the i5, I see no reason why not seeing as you have the paste and the cooler.

You could go with a cheaper case (there is a decent case you can get for 30, only 1 fan and not 4). It wouldn

http://www.ebuyer.com/172779-casecom-6788-all-black-case-km-6788-black

This is it, just in case you have to shave some cost out of the build. It wouldn't cost 35 for 3 more fans anyway.

Matthew94:

Mike Laserbeam:

The monitor is out of stock but it was good that you got an E-IPS monitor. I would recommend a Super-IPS 20" Square Dell monitor but it shot up from 170 to 200 so I'd be a bit wary of telling people to get it now especially as you are just at your budget.

It's good you downsized your PSU. 650W is fine, you could do with less but at least it's not as much as 750W so that's fine.

I assume you will be overclocking the i5, I see no reason why not seeing as you have the paste and the cooler.

You could go with a cheaper case (there is a decent case you can get for 30, only 1 fan and not 4). It wouldn

This is it, just in case you have to shave some cost out of the build. It wouldn't cost 35 for 3 more fans anyway.

Can't say I'm surprised, there was only one of those monitors left, my backup was this.
Any thoughts?

I think I'll stick with the 650W PSU, just to be on the safe side. Although I do realise that I should be safe with less, I want to be a little careful!

I'll stick with my case too, simply because I quite like the extra fans... and the way it looks haha

But you're sure the 7950 will be better than the 7870? I know it may seem like a stupid question, but I want to be sure.
I would definitely prefer to go with Amazon, but apparently it could take a month or two to dispatch, and I don't want to wait that long!
So I'll probably go with this, unless you think any of the other 3 are a lot better?

I'm assuming the 7950 I've chosen will fit my PC?

Seriously, thanks for all your help

Mike Laserbeam:

Matthew94:

Mike Laserbeam:

Can't say I'm surprised, there was only one of those monitors left, my backup was this.
Any thoughts?

I think I'll stick with the 650W PSU, just to be on the safe side. Although I do realise that I should be safe with less, I want to be a little careful!

I'll stick with my case too, simply because I quite like the extra fans... and the way it looks haha

But you're sure the 7950 will be better than the 7870? I know it may seem like a stupid question, but I want to be sure.
I would definitely prefer to go with Amazon, but apparently it could take a month or two to dispatch, and I don't want to wait that long!
So I'll probably go with this, unless you think any of the other 3 are a lot better?

I'm assuming the 7950 I've chosen will fit my PC?

Seriously, thanks for all your help

Yes, trust me, the 7950 is the best.

Here is how GPU numbers work

The first number means the series.

7XXX was released this year.
6XXX was the gen before it etc.

The second number means the sub series.

So a 7800 card will be better than a 7700 card etc

The third number is just another sub-grouping.

ie 7970 is better than a 7950 etc

So yes, the 7950 will beat them all.

Reviews indicate your monitor is good quality, it'll be fine. :)

Now as for whether it will fit.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7950/3.html

This says the 7950 is 27.5 cm which is 10.8 inches and your case says it can take cards as long as 10.5 inches. In theory it shouldn't fit. That being said 0.3 inches is only 0.762 centimetres so it may fit. 10.5 may just be rounded on the case manufacturers part or something similar.

If you want you could look for a new case but it may fit in the current case.

Matthew94:

Matt's nailed it. No point me typing the same thing.

From past experience don't go with eBuyer, I've only ever been ripped off by them. But that's just me.

The computer you'll end up with following Matt's advice will have you running the latest games on the highest settings at 60+fps, but it's not future proof and while it will age well, it won't stand the test of time as much as a more powerful but costly computer.

Final note, grab the Intel i5-3570 3.4GHz and not the 3570k. The 3570k benches lower than the 3570 and costs more. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's nicer to have a more powerful processor for less. You might have to look at over-clocking the 3570 yourself though in a few years. Don't ask me why the 3570 is better than the 3570k whilst being cheaper; I have no idea, but it is.

Bvenged:

Matthew94:

From past experience don't go with eBuyer, I've only ever been ripped off by them. But that's just me.

The computer you'll end up with following Matt's advice will have you running the latest games on the highest settings at 60+fps, but it's not future proof and while it will age well, it won't stand the test of time as much as a more powerful but costly computer.

Final note, grab the Intel i5-3570 3.4GHz and not the 3570k. The 3570k benches lower than the 3570 and costs more. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's nicer to have a more powerful processor for less. You might have to look at over-clocking the 3570 yourself though in a few years.

The thing is the non-K models cannot be overclocked due to having a locked multiplier. I assume you know this?

Matthew94:

Bvenged:

Matthew94:

Final note, grab the Intel i5-3570 3.4GHz and not the 3570k. The 3570k benches lower than the 3570 and costs more. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's nicer to have a more powerful processor for less. You might have to look at over-clocking the 3570 yourself though in a few years.

The thing is the non-K models cannot be overclocked due to having a locked multiplier. I assume you know this?

I was unaware of this, cheers for letting me know! But my point still stands, the 3570 still bench higher and cost less dough.

So basically, if I don't want to overclock, go non-K
If I do, K?

It's not a massive difference in price.

Is the non-K really that much better without being overclocked?

This has really thrown me!

Bvenged:

I was unaware of this, cheers for letting me know! But my point still stands, the 3570 still bench higher and cost less dough.

In that case you may not know this either.

The 3570K can hit 4.5Ghz easily just by raising the multiplier, it's really that easy. You may have to raise the voltage a bit but it's extremely easy from what I have seen.

Could you provide a source for what you are saying?

Mike Laserbeam:
If I do, K?

If you are going to invest in the cooler and the paste, go for the K model.

I would go for the K model. You can get a 1.1Ghz boost (or more, depending on how good the chip and cooler are) at minimal effort which will add a lot of life on to the CPU (power wise).

To be honest I wasn't aware there was any difference. As far as I know they are the same chip but the K is unlocked.

We'll see if Bvenged can show us where he heard this.

Matthew94:

Bvenged:

The 3570K can hit 4.5Ghz easily just by raising the multiplier, it's really that easy. You may have to raise the voltage a bit but it's extremely easy from what I have seen.

Mike Laserbeam:
If I do, K?

I would go for the K model. You can get a 1.1Ghz boost (or more, depending on how good the chip and cooler are) at minimal effort which will add a lot of life on to the CPU (power wise).

To be honest I wasn't aware there was any difference. As far as I know they are the same chip but the K is unlocked.

Oh man...

Well, I've had a little crisis of confidence.

I may have to look around for places other than eBuyer (apparently it isn't very reliable) so I'm going to sleep on this!

I think the K model does sound better though, so I think I'm going 3570K and 7950.

Thanks again!

Mike Laserbeam:

Matthew94:

Bvenged:

Mike Laserbeam:
If I do, K?

Oh man...

Well, I've had a little crisis of confidence.

I may have to look around for places other than eBuyer (apparently it isn't very reliable) so I'm going to sleep on this!

I think the K model does sound better though, so I think I'm going 3570K and 7950.

Thanks again!

Novatech are very good and if you are in mainland UK (ie England, Scotland and Wales) you get free delivery.

Matthew94:
snip

Mike Laserbeam:
snip

I use sites that have recorded the Passmark software for benchmarking all the time when it comes to high-end CPU's. It's proved itself first-hand to me on a number of occasions.
http://www.passmark.com/

But the page I was referring to specifically is a 3rd party site's AMD/Intel high-end CPU benchmark page. They use Passmark to list CPU's, including prices, and by simply "Ctrl-F"ing you can find the CPU you are curious about; seeing how it fares to surrounding models.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

EDIT: So you'll notice there's not much between the two processors, not even the price, but if Matt is right about the over-clocking and you want to splash out on the cooling gel, grab the K variant. At core speeds it's less powerful, but allows for simple over-clocks later on in it's life.

Bvenged:

Matthew94:
snip

Mike Laserbeam:
snip

I use sites that have recorded the Passmark software for benchmarking all the time when it comes to high-end CPU's. It's proved itself first-hand to me on a number of occasions.
http://www.passmark.com/

But the page I was referring to specifically is a 3rd party site's AMD/Intel high-end CPU benchmark page. They use Passmark to list CPU's, including prices, and by simply "Ctrl-F"ing you can find the CPU you are curious about; seeing how it fares to surrounding models.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

EDIT: So you'll notice there's not much between the two processors, not even the price, but if Matt is right about the over-clocking and you want to splash out on the cooling gel, grab the K variant. At core speeds it's less powerful, but allows for simple over-clocks later on in it's life.

Mike Laserbeam:
snip

The difference in scores is 2%. Even a modest overclock with even the stock cooler would overcome this difference.

Go for the K model.

My 2 cents. Get the i5 K version for sure. Get a GTX 670 if you can, otherwise a 7850 is best value. Go with a decent 2.1 sound system, PC surround speakers are a bit crap most of the time (how are you going to put the rear speakers behind you?). Maybe invest in a good headset instead/in addition.

Also, HDDs are almost always the slowest part of any PC. If you can get an 80 to 120gb SSD, do it. It will make the PC way faster. Then use an HDD for games/media. On that note I suggest partitioning the HDD, 50% for programs on the front, 50% for media on the back (change ratio if you need more). Media doesn't meed much in terms of speed but it's nice to have programs load fast.

why not get a set of headphones instead of speakers? The sennheiser hd 518 really do sound fantastic.
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-518.php

*reads post* I sound like a spam bot, damn it I am not. I am recommending these to you Mike.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked