Is it the start of a communications breakdown between Valve and EA?
Yes
47.1% (49)
47.1% (49)
No
51.9% (54)
51.9% (54)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Is EA refusing to have ME3 on steam going to change anything?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

As many of us know Mass Effect 3 isn't available on steam, does anyone expect this is going to bring issues between Valve and EA?

Well... EA is doing it because they want to promote Origin, which, quite frankly, is understandable, even if it's annoying for some people, including me. That hasn't stopped me buying ME3 and playing it on Origin, but I'll admit I'd like to have had it on Steam instead.

Anyway, it's pretty old news, because supposedly:

"Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers."

meaning some sort of disagreement over the whole DLC issue.

In short, my answer is no, it's merely EA trying to promote their own digital distribution servic though their "reasoning" for it, is piss poor, to say the least.

I don't really think so. EA seems to consider themselves some sort of marketing gods, and Steam seems to stand well enough on it's own without ME3 that I'm pretty sure that it won't have some sort of.....mass effect *rimshot*

I don't see what's left to break down. EA no longer put their games on Steam. That's the only real interaction and common ground they had in the first place.

It takes 2 to make a trade.

EA refused to put ME3 by refusing to allow people to purchase the DLC for the game through steam.

Steam didn't allow them that and so on.

And before everyone starts going EA did this I want to point out that the natural progression of how Bioware has tried to handle its DLC since NWN is where ME3 is now.

I dont see EA giving this up at this point and I also dont see Valve giving up on this. And so EA makes their own distribution and we go on with our daily business.

I don't use Steam to begin with. So it makes little difference to me.

Draech:
EA refused to put ME3 by refusing to allow people to purchase the DLC for the game through steam.

Basically this, EA wants to handle their DLC their way and they don't want to give Valve 30% of the sale do it. Valve says no because they hold a vicelike grip on the digital distribution market, they simply have the superior platform, and Valve's fanbase is more likely to look at an opportunity to dick over EA as a good thing.

Valve's stance is that if you sell DLC for a game, it has to be available through Steam as well as anywhere else. Not that Steam games must only accept DLC sold though Steam, just that the DLC be available on Steam.

The "start"? The "start" was back when they pulled Crysis 2 off of Steam because they were trying to push Origin forward. Besides, Mass Effect 3 is almost five months old now, which likely means that EA doesn't care about it anymore.

I'm tempted to ask if the OP has been living under a rock all of this time... :D

ravenshrike:
Valve's stance is that if you sell DLC for a game, it has to be available through Steam as well as anywhere else. Not that Steam games must only accept DLC sold though Steam, just that the DLC be available on Steam.

That's a recent change, is it not? I could be mistaken though.

In either case the actual reason remains the same, I just wish EA would go ahead and give us their admission. I'd prefer it in the form of an "Oh hey gamers, we see how much $$$ that digital distribution market is making Valve and we'd like to get in on that while not having to fork over 30% of our sales so, you know, yolo!"

Not really, valve has their terms and EA don't want to follow them so they made origin, simple as that.

shrekfan246:

I'm tempted to ask if the OP has been living under a rock all of this time... :D

I haven't lived under a rock, it just suddenly occurred to me that this might not be a one-off and is a slippery slope. It now appears to me that it isn;t, it's already happened.

And EA can't pull games off steam can though? I thought that broke a consumer agreement or something.

Hazzard:

shrekfan246:

I haven't lived under a rock, it just suddenly occurred to me that this might not be a one-off and is a slippery slope. It now appears to me that it isn;t, it's already happened.

And EA can't pull games off steam can though? I thought that broke a consumer agreement or something.

They pulled Dragon Age... 2? I think. Maybe Origins as well. And Crysis 2. I think they may have pulled Mass Effect 2, but don't quote me on that because I don't use Steam very much.

Like the first response to this thread noted, EA pulled out a BS response about how Valve was being too "restrictive" in their DLC distribution methods - Basically, Valve wanted DLC to be sold on Steam in addition to anywhere else, if the games were going to be on Steam. EA didn't agree to that, because they wanted to push Origin forward as a digital distribution platform (despite not having issues with DLC being available on everything that wasn't Steam). EA threw a hissy fit and started yanking their games off of Steam.

shrekfan246:

Hazzard:

shrekfan246:

They pulled Dragon Age... 2? I think. Maybe Origins as well. And Crysis 2. I think they may have pulled Mass Effect 2, but don't quote me on that because I don't use Steam very much.

Like the first response to this thread noted, EA pulled out a BS response about how Valve was being too "restrictive" in their DLC distribution methods - Basically, Valve wanted DLC to be sold on Steam in addition to anywhere else, if the games were going to be on Steam. EA didn't agree to that, because they wanted to push Origin forward as a digital distribution platform (despite not having issues with DLC being available on everything that wasn't Steam). EA threw a hissy fit and started yanking their games off of Steam.

Just goign to highlight Biowares involvement in this.

You see Bioware always wanted to handle their DLC themselves. NWN had DLC moduls handle in much the same way they have handle DLC for ME and DA. Now as you can see on DA:O you cant buy the DLC for the game on steam. Never could. Nor could you download it through steam.

Essentially you can blame it on EA pushing Origin, while in reality it was Valve who changed their policy on DLC and it didn't fit with how Bioware had handled DLC until now. I am guessing pushing Origin was a factor as well, but not the main one.

Draech:

shrekfan246:

Hazzard:

You see Bioware always wanted to handle their DLC themselves. NWN had DLC moduls handle in much the same way they have handle DLC for ME and DA. Now as you can see on DA:O you cant buy the DLC for the game on steam. Never could. Nor could you download it through steam.

Essentially you can blame it on EA pushing Origin, while in reality it was Valve who changed their policy on DLC and it didn't fit with how Bioware had handled DLC until now. I am guessing Origin was a factor as well, but not the main one.

The "DLC" for Neverwinter Nights was released the way it was because Bioware didn't have a huge publisher backing them. It was published by Atari, and let's be honest here, nowadays Atari is most famous for basically being the catalyst that started the video game crash in 1983 and pretty much nothing else. The Jaguar? Hah.

Atari didn't want to back DLC distribution. In fact, they even issued a cease-and-desist order to Bioware on selling the "premium modules" for Neverwinter Nights. The fact that Bioware could launch their own online store in the first place was a pretty huge thing. They "wanted" to handle DLC themselves because they had to handle it themselves.

Besides, that's really only tangentially related. Bioware may have told EA that they preferred DLC to be handled they way they liked, and EA may have agreed. But EA owns Bioware, so in the end it's EA's choice to make and Bioware has no power to disagree while they're still a division of the publisher.

It just means I will never buy ME3.

No skin off my back.

shrekfan246:

Draech:

shrekfan246:

Essentially you can blame it on EA pushing Origin, while in reality it was Valve who changed their policy on DLC and it didn't fit with how Bioware had handled DLC until now. I am guessing Origin was a factor as well, but not the main one.

The "DLC" for Neverwinter Nights was released the way it was because Bioware didn't have a huge publisher backing them. It was published by Atari, and let's be honest here, nowadays Atari is most famous for basically being the catalyst that started the video game crash in 1983 and pretty much nothing else. The Jaguar? Hah.

Atari didn't want to back DLC distribution. In fact, they even issued a cease-and-desist order to Bioware on selling the "premium modules" for Neverwinter Nights. The fact that Bioware could launch their own online store in the first place was a pretty huge thing. They "wanted" to handle DLC themselves because they had to handle it themselves.

Besides, that's really only tangentially related. Bioware may have told EA that they preferred DLC to be handled they way they liked, and EA may have agreed. But EA owns Bioware, so in the end it's EA's choice to make and Bioware has no power to disagree while they're still a division of the publisher.

So Bioware handles DLC the same way in NWN, DA and ME is just tangentially related?

You may argue that NWN was Atari's fault, but it wasn't Atari's when they did the same system for for Mass Effect and Dragon age.

Why didn't they just run Dragon Age DLC through steam rather if Atari wasn't there holding them back and Origin didn't exist yet? I am sorry your argument is a lot of hot air.

Also... wtf has the Video game crash to do with anything here?
Also your "tangentially related". Bioware it was them who wanted it, but it is EA's fault for letting them? I am sorry you are trying to make the world fit your narrative here.

No. The only thing that will change anything is reduced sales. They are a business. And money is the easiest way to affect them.

I won't be buying ME3 for a LONG while and I will most certainly be buying it for the PS3, because I refuse to allow that pile of shit called "Origin" to take up even a byte of space on my hard drive.

I don't really see how it matters though, people who wanted to play it will typically play it, no matter what platform they release it on (or through).

Politeia:
Valve's fanbase is more likely to look at an opportunity to dick over EA as a good thing.

If that's true, why all the crying about Mass Effect not being on Steam?

Considering Crysis 2 was put back up on Steam not too long ago... no.

I wouldn't say that it's a "Start," considering that they've been doing this for a while. After Origin launched, I'm fairly sure they removed some of their games from Steam.

Since then, however, they have actually released some through Steam (such as Revelations and Crysis 2), but are still omitting their heavy-hitters like Battlefield 3.

In the end, the only thing that's going to change is that EA is going to lose even more money through lost sales.

I must say, I really dislike the people who say 'It's not on Steam, so I'm not buying.' It's such a poor reason IMHO. Can't you just uninstall Origin afterwards if it really bothers you that much? Additionally, it feeds into Valve's monopoly on digital distribution. Think people: If you'll always buy Steam and only Steam, what incentive has Valve to continue to improve their service. And what if another, smaller company came up with a really great idea/service? You'd never even know.

The famous TotalBiscuit has a longer, more detailed rant on this topic on his channel, if anyone's interested.

Typhusoid:
I must say, I really dislike the people who say 'It's not on Steam, so I'm not buying.' It's such a poor reason IMHO. Can't you just uninstall Origin afterwards if it really bothers you that much? Additionally, it feeds into Valve's monopoly on digital distribution. Think people: If you'll always buy Steam and only Steam, what incentive has Valve to continue to improve their service. And what if another, smaller company came up with a really great idea/service? You'd never even know.

Here's how I look at it. I enjoy services such as Good Old Games, and I don't only shop on Steam. It's just that Steam is the most well-run digital service (with such a wide range of games) that we have as PC players. Not to mention, if there are so few other actual good digital distribution services, then Steam is quite an appealing option. :/

Zachary Amaranth:

Politeia:
Valve's fanbase is more likely to look at an opportunity to dick over EA as a good thing.

If that's true, why all the crying about Mass Effect not being on Steam?

I said it was more likely, not that they wouldn't mind. You can't deny that most folks who would consider themselves Valve fans would likely have a very negative view of EA.

EquestrianGeneral:

Typhusoid:

Here's how I look at it. I enjoy services such as Good Old Games, and I don't only shop on Steam. It's just that Steam is the most well-run digital service (with such a wide range of games) that we have as PC players. Not to mention, if there are so few other actual good digital distribution services, then Steam is quite an appealing option. :/

Now I love Steam. I love it for the fact that the time between me buying a game and playing a game is hours. I love the fact that it has a massive catalog of games. I love the fact that the Netcode is solid so when used in other games. I love that it has sales.

However I dont love it for being steam. I love it for its features. And any service who can provide me with these features I will love to some degree.

The problem arises when it becomes loyalty to the name rather than the feature.

Hazzard:

shrekfan246:

Not exactly.

Anyone who bought it before they pulled it has to be allowed to access it on Steam.

They can opt to not sell it to anyone else on Steam though.

EquestrianGeneral:

Typhusoid:

That's great, the perfect attitude to have in my view. I'm not criticising Steam; I use it myself and it's a great service. My beef is with the people who flatly refuse to use GOG, Gamer's Gate, Origin or anything other than Steam.

Communications Breakdown?

That's like a Holden car dealer selling Ford cars.

Or Portal being sold on Origin!

I only say "no" because the start was when EA played the "I'm taking my ball and going home" move and created Origin.

well, i think communications first started breaking down with the crysis 2 thing, where crysis 2 was pulled from steam something like 2 days after release

so yeah, this is a symptom of breaking communications, however, not the start of said break

Me3 on pc is going to get less sales but ea will get a larger percentage of the profits.More origin accounts get made and in the future origin exclusive games will suffer less due to the larger amount of origin customers making origin a more viable platform for exclusive games in the future.

it'll have an effect allright.

Slightly less people will have bought it.

I didn't buy it even though I've got the first two on my Steam Account.

Simply put, EA want to sell their games on Origin only, so they get an even bigger chunk (read: all) of the profits from it. No middle men, they sell it directly. I'd buy it on steam, as I have the first two, I won't use Origin, so they've lost at least one sale. I understand they're promoting Origin, but I can't stand the stupid business practices involved in doing it. Crysis 2 was removed for the same reason, though has just recently been brought back to Steam (don't buy it by the way, it's crap whichever DDP you buy it from!) so maybe it'll be there one day and that's the day I'll buy it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked