What are your thoughts on RAGE?

I just recently got done playing through RAGE on Nightmare difficulty, doing so reminding me of how the game got a fairly lukewarm reception at launch. So now I genuinely wanna know what people in general thought of iD software's latest product.

Here are some of my opinions:

1.The game mechanics were well thought out and well implemented. The Wingstick was especially fun!

2. The enemy AI was very well done and quite responsive. Adjusting to combat situations, jumping around and trying to avoid getting shot.

3. The main storyline was lackluster, didn't really give us a lot of info into the Authority besides 'They're bad people so we fight them.', we NEVER got to see or even hear the voice of General Cross the so-called leader of the Authority.

4. Despite some texture pop-ins, the environments and characters were very well done.

5. The game honestly felt more like a tech demo than a real game. Like iD was just testing out their newest game engine before getting truly serious on their next game.

6. The multiplayer was alright, I'm not really one for racing, but I did like the legends of the Wasteland alright.

But, all in all, I enjoyed the hell out of RAGE and I can't wait for iD's next game! What about you guys?

Gunplay: Awesome
Level Design: Decent
Graphics: Shit up close, animation was great
Quests: Meaningless
Plot: What plot?

I think id's engine and style of gameplay is suited towards linear corridor shooters. RAGE would have been great if it wasn't open world and they had just made more levels and action.

I hope DOOM 4 is good.

More ore less agreed, did not play MP so don't know anything about that.

I'd like to add:

7. Waaaaaaaaay too short for a (mainly) single player game

8.Very anti-climactic ending; the game just...ends at one point.

No ending to speak of, lackluster story, very linear levels, little gun variety, idiotic AI and it still refuses to load textures properly on my machine, despite a ton of fixes i've tried to implement.

The crafting system and the driving was fun though, as were the car upgrades.

Played it once, never will again.

I like it. You have problem?

Gameplay was great, graphics were OK, story was terrible.
That's it really. It was fun while it lasted, but it didn't last because the ending was so abrupt I had to ask a friend who had played it if I did something wrong.

Meh. It felt like every other shooter I've played. Though I must bring up something. They spent 8 years making the most graphically intensive game they could on consoles...and they used it to make a brown desert and grey corridors. Who were they trying to impress? Not to mention that launch on PC which if they just made even one apology I would have forgiven them somewhat. But no they didn't and now I've learned to never buy from them again. The one id game I played and I don't care for any more.

Good shooting, great animation, decent graphics and visual design, way too much extraneous bullshit, technical issues out the arse, supremely non-engaging story elements.

Stopped playing after a while.

A lot of good stuff, a few bad things that unfortunately had a big negative impact on my enjoyment.

+ Well done hubs. The detail in those was excellent. Some good talky bits and generally good atmosphere.
+ Good meaty weapons and shooting.
+ Great AI and animations of enemies.
+ Very good item and crafting system with some nice potential for multiple approaches to fights.
+ Atmospheric and well done graphics in general, the few texture pop-ins after loading didn't ruin the impression much for me.

- Level design was a bit too linear.
- I hated the fact that I went through every mission twice, forwards and backwards. I'd rather have half the game without that repetition. Occasional reuse can be good when done well, but in this case it was lazy.
- Some of the encounters were padded with endless streams of the same opponents, big boredom factor there.
- Some of the arena styled fights seemed like they copied the worst parts of DE:HR. Inexplicably all the doors close, and when the opponents are dead they all open again just as inexplicably. The game had some big immersion breakers in that respect.
- Racing and driving bits, I hated them.

So as often is the case ID made some really good basic features, but released a half-cooked game. It could have been a Borderlands killer if they went all the way.

I thought it was a great game. Had tons of fun with it.
Though, I didn't like that most quests wanted you to go back to previous locations iirc. Felt a bit dull at times.

Also, what the hell has happened to the layout on the forums?!

I absolutely loved Rage. While it wasn't perfect, it was a great addition to the current generations first person shooter library.

While I played through it, I kept getting a sense of familiarity. I could see the influences brought from Wolfenstein, Quake and Doom. Presumably because Rage was designed to be a tight corridor shooter. Sure there was a sandbox like overworld where you drove/ran around to get from mission essential location to the other, but the heart of the game was the frantic battles in tight places. Keeping in line with id's legacy, Rage fits right in perfectly.

Very few games give me a sense of power when giving me the responsibility of wielding a firearm. Games like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Crysis, (while I mention these games for comparison, I do enjoy them all quite a bit), the weapons never carry their weight in battle as the ones in Rage do. In Rage, the shotgun can stop enemies in their tracks, making them jerk back from the spread. The enemies respond remarkably well to every weapon you use against them.

The story seemed to be Rage's big weak point. While playing through Rage, I felt like it was akin to James Cameron's "Avatar". The movie had a great presentation, the sound was spot on, 3d was excellent, acting was great, everything combined into a cohesive great product except for the story. To me, it seemed Rage, like Avatar was only made to prepare the setting for a sequel. I do believe id mentioned that down the pipe they're working on Doom 4 and Rage 2. If that's true, then Rage would have set the scene for a sequel to come in with a well made plot and gameplay improved and as amazing as the original Rage.

I really hope the IP takes off, because I definitely want to see more Rage in the future.

nice tech demo, def not worth a full price for the pc port, bargain bin/steam sale thing

way too short, way too much stuff re-used, even the wasteland map was just the racetracks stuck together really O.o and the ending ... just weird

RAGE taught me that I would gladly slaughter the entire population of a small country if John Goodman asked me to.

Unfortunately they're not opening the game up to Modding the way they have with previous games, so I'd only recommend getting it on sale. Fun combat, short, terrible ending.

It is the 'Skyrim' of shooters.

Very beautiful game, but very shallow story and world. Better AI than Skyrim though.

Didn't care much for it. It felt like it was trying to be Borderlands too much.

I'll let you know once the PC version decides to function.

But from what I've seen:

Story is poop
Gunplay feels like it should be much funner than it actually is.
World feels kind of empty

Matthew94:
Gunplay: Awesome
Level Design: Decent
Graphics: Shit up close, animation was great
Quests: Meaningless
Plot: What plot?

I think id's engine and style of gameplay is suited towards linear corridor shooters. RAGE would have been great if it wasn't open world and they had just made more levels and action.

This is more or less how I feel. Though I feel that there wasn't enough gunplay and that everything just felt short in general. That and the whole debacle at the beginning didn't help my opinion at first. Definitely not worth full price, but worth playing.

Rage was an okay comic book character. He was a 90s Luke Cage, but also 13 years old.

I loved the gameplay and combat mechanics. When the game came out I heard people saying that it could take 20 hours to complete. Bullshit, it took me 12 at most. The story was disappointing and the ending was one of the worst I've seen. I'll wait for doom 4.

Freakzooi:

7. Waaaaaaaaay too short for a (mainly) single player game

8.Very anti-climactic ending; the game just...ends at one point.

Really? Because I felt like this game dragged on forever.

My opinion? Game had nothing to offer at all. Not a single original idea in it. Sure, it looked good, but the animation style didn't suit the tone (everyone was just way too boucey), the tiresome minigames have all been done before, and better (five finger fillet in Red Dead Particularly), in fact everything in the game has been done before, and better. Mainly in Borderlands.

You know things are bad when the driving in Borderlands is better... yeesh.

HOLY GOD DAMN INVISIBLE WALLS UP IN THIS BITCH

However, it's incredibly fun, and I think it's another example of why id should be allowed to make every single FPS ever from now on.

There was no narrative context at all. I reeeally hated the story (or lack there of).

I can enjoy mindless games but Tetris had more context than this.

Still pop it in when I'm bored or have beaten my newer games. Damn good game with a great driving/shooting fusion of gameplay as far as I'm concerned. The enemies and world at large was interesting, and you had a lot to do.

Not a masterpiece of gaming to be held as a standard for all other games of its genre, but it was certainly worth every penny I spent on it.

Very nice-looking world design, a cool assortment of weapons and interesting enemy AI. Also, very well-designed characters.

However, quite bad car controls on PC, and the story (while it showed potential) lacked in execution as everything (including the ending) needed to be fleshed out more. Plus, textures for small objects and such looked horrid.

It was a lot of fun, but was clearly in need of more polish.

+ Great Gunplay
+ Great Animations
+ Great Atmosphere
+ Great Dune Buggy physics

- Shit Texture Pop-in
- Shit Story
- Shit Multiplayer
- Worst ending in a video game ever, would rather have had a StarChild than "Push 3 buttons; roll credits"

Zhukov:
Good shooting, great animation, decent graphics and visual design, way too much extraneous bullshit, technical issues out the arse, supremely non-engaging story elements.

Stopped playing after a while.

This is basically what happened to me as well, just crossed over the line of mediocrity.

I actually wanted it prior to release, but after hearing the issues plaguing the PC version I decided to hold off. Picked it up during the Steam summer sale and finally got around to it today. Was hoping the graphical issues had been addressed by now, but I was blown away by how utterly terrible the rendering was this long after launch.
Implemented some self fixes and it's thoroughly more impressive now, but it was terribly disheartening to find issues in abundance the moment I enter the game world.

I'd definitely prefer to offer an opinion after finishing the game (which I definitely shall do - it looks like a blast!) but as for what I've seen so far... The whole intro felt terribly contrived. Hagar just happened to be in exactly the right spot at the right time? How did no one notice there was an Ark cryo-station there? It's a developed/lived in area. Why would he save me just to berate my existence and the trouble it will probably cause him?

Very minor issues in the grand scheme of things, but I've always been heavy handedly opposed and critical of such contrived and pressured situations. Why couldn't I have wandered around aimlessly before running into those bandits? Why not have Hagar just happen to be driving by when he noticed me in trouble? The little things may not matter so much, but they definitely add to the overall experience. Here's hoping the world leaves me in awe further down the road.

As I always said (and always will) Rage is a mess. A lovable mess, mind you, a mess that I have a degree of affection to, but a mess nonetheless. It doesn't quite know what it's trying to do. The animations are beautiful and some of textures are not bad, but they (animations) are a bit too exaggerated and the textures take their sweet time to load. The gunplay is nice, but all the best stuff comes near the endgame and there is only one boss. The vehicular combat, while not bad, feels kinda lacking. The racing aspect is kinda WTF. All those minigames are cool, but why are they even in there? And, considering what happens to cities, they are blink-and-you-miss-it. The locations are nice, a pity the side missions reuse them. The music in combat is not bad. The music in racing lacks variety. The story takes its sweet time to appear and when it does, it's not really pretty.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked