Your favorite Mass Effect moments *massive spoilers*

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mass Effect is a great series and we all know it. We all like different parts of the games so I want to know some of your favorite Mass Effect moments.

Most of my great moments happened in Mass Effect 3.
- Like curing the Genophage. Watching the relief on the Krogans' faces, knowing you saved an entire race. That was powerful, and watching Mordin sacrifice himself that was so sad and it ripped my heart out.
- Having to leave Earth behind when you want to save it. You want to be there fighting on the ground and stopping the Reapers but you know that you have to get help if you are going to survive.
-Watching Legion as he kills him self so that the rest of his race can prosper. Hearing him refer to himself a I rather than we. That was touching.
There were great moments in the other games to don't get me wrong
-When I met Sovreign and learning that he wanted to scour the universe of life and to annihalte us. I knew we had to stop him. He also had some bad ass lines," You exist because we allow it and you will end because we demand it"

Those are what I can think of now. Oh and about the ending don't let it ruin Mass Effect for you. A certain Doctor Who quote explains the situation perfectly.

Editing a .bin file to give me access to the 'DLC' party member without needing to fork over an extra $10 on top of the purchase price. Sorry EA, but if it's already on the disc, then I already own it.

Oh, and killing Kaiden. That was cool...

Finding out that Sovreign is not just a ship but the main freaking villain.

Thane, that is all.

The mother of all Threshar Maws.

Helping out Tali in #2.

The child's death at the begining of #3.

One of the biggest stand out moments for me was the conversation with Sovereign. The conversation with him left me with a feeling of doom and sheer inferiority, and the wish to just fucking stand alongside Saren and serve him since there is no possible way to defeat him. I snapped out of that eventually though. Sovereign certainly made Harbinger seem weak in comparison.

Another one was towards the end of Mass Effect 3, inside the citadel with the Illusive Man. I made him kill himself, which was a good outcome I guess because he redeemed himself by being strong against the Reapers. But I felt like shit because of it, I really wanted to save the Illusive Man and bring back to us, on our team. That moment is one of the few where an antagonist's death made me almost miserable.

Also, temporarily joining the mercenaries to take down Archangel. During the whole process before we flip sides, it really felt like something massive was going down. Talking with the mercenary leaders, seeing all the troops getting prepared, waiting for the time to strike this bastard who had been causing so many problems. I was actually getting ready to take Archangel out myself and gaining these guys' allegiance 'til the dude took off his helmet. But yeah, that whole section was very well done.

Kirrahe's speech and sacrifice on Virmire as well. Damn that Salarian was cool. I unfortunately didn't manage to save him, but that made it all the more greater, knowing he gave his life as a soldier in a moment of triumph.

There are actually quite a few great scenes and moment in the trilogy. I could quite easily list 20 or so right here off the top of my head, but I won't. Great games.

Easy. From ME2 the paragon ending to the Overlord DLC. My god that was incredibly sad, but very heartwarming to know that David was finally getting actual help.

Not to mention the sweet satisfaction of pistol whipping that son of a bitch Archer. Seeing David again during ME3 actually brought a bit of a tear to my eye.

For ME3 it has to be the curing of the Genophage. Easily the best moment in ME3. Runner up is ending the Geth-Quarian conflict with both sides still alive. Using the renegade option. My god did it feel great to tell that guy that I'd watch him burn if he kept firing on the Geth. Didn't think it would work either, I was elated that it did.

From ME1 it has to be Virmire, the whole thing. Very powerful stuff. That and convincing Saren to end it while he's still himself.

What, in the whole series?

There's tons. I doubt I could pick just one moment.

So I'll just go with a random small moment:

After the genephage cure hits the sky, there's that scene where all the krogan are standing around staring in wonder at the little "snowflakes". There's one in particular that stood out in my mind. A great big brute wearing one of those huge Blood Pack armoured suits with the exhaust tubes on the back. He's staring up at the shroud tower.

Something about the image of a walking dispenser of brutal violence awestruck by the unexpected prospect of an actual future just kinda got to me.

Youtube link. 1:06.

Umm this video just about sums it up.

I'm just gonna be a massive fanboy and say every heartwarming scene that Tali was in. Also the suicide mission.

My all time favorite moment in the mass effect series was the ending cutscene to the ME2 story arc, especially the first time when I actually saved everyone (including Kelly), a feat I haven't yet been able to replicate. Where you're shooting at the collectors as you run towards the edge of the space station, somehow surviving the absence of atmosphere and jumping aboard your ship without a helmet, the music hitting it's climax while Harbinger throws down his bad-guy monolog...

Man, that made me nerdgasm so hard the first couple times I saw it. Fucking epic.

Lately (as in, during the playthrough I'm doing now as therapy for playing ME3's ending), my favorite moments have been the conversations with Jack. Before this most recent playthrough I'd always cast her off as a cold hearted killer and pretty much just a bitch, someone I'd normally never be interested in actually knowing. It's how she's portrayed through most of the game, especially during the Miranda clashes and her recruitment/loyalty mission. But sitting down and actually having that dialog uncovered what has rapidly become my favorite character in the game. She's still got that bitch element, but the conversation reveals a lot more to what I was completely convinced was a totally one sided character. The same can't really be said for too many other characters in the game, except maybe Grunt (to a small extent) or Mordin. Though I'm only mentioning Mordin because he was the only character I felt actually had enough dialog to justify his existence on my crew. (I'm looking at you, Garrus.)

Other than that, I think it's worth mentioning the Bees. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJUzmhiYsrU

Twisted, but hilarious. I hate Nick Cage. Just saying.

Also, I'm curious, how does me describing Nestle with any words help the computer check if I'm a robot or not? I can literally put in any adjective and I think it'll take it.

Edit:

Oh yeah, I've got to mention that moment in the third game when Grunt looks like he's going to go down fighting the Rachni while you escape. I can't believe I forgot about that! He's taking down Rachni after Rachni and I'm sitting there rooting for him because he's just too fucking awesome to die. Then he goes over the edge and I'm about to cry or something, and he comes back right as you're leaving... man, if it wasn't for the fact that it was 2 in the morning when I played that part the first time, I would've been jumping up and down and shouting or something. Totally absorbing.

Time for the flames!

In my opinion, the new cutscene towards the end of the game post-EC, assuming you had your love interest in your party while charging the beam, was incredibly well done. That scene showed just how close you and your love interest were with little more than dialogue and vocal inflections. For example, if you are a male Shep romancing Tali, and you send her away on the ship, these are the last two lines of dialogue.

Shepard: I need you to get out of here, Tali. Get back to Rannoch...build yourself a home.
Tali: I have a home. (whispering) Come back to me.

That moment determined one thing for me. I was never, ever going to choose anything other than the destroy ending. Why? Because doing anything else would leave Tali without Shepard. And any writing that can make me feel that connected to fictional characters has to be applauded.

Edit:

The_Lost_King:

With the exception of me believing that the post-EC ending was pretty awesome, I agree with this sentiment so much. Hell, even before the EC, I still had little but praise for ME3, or the Mass Effect series. The way I see it, there is no way the last 20 minutes of a trilogy can ruin an incredible ~60 hour series. All it can do is disappoint a bit. It won't make the entire series, or even the game before, shit.

The suicide mission of course.

"Will she have bad dreams?"
"You'll dream of a warm place, and when you wake up you'll be in it."
"She'd like that. It hurts when she...when I remember...me."

(Naturally this is Jennifer Hale's Shepard. Mark Meer, science help him, was simply outclassed.)

ME2's last mission. I loved the epic scope and knowing anyone could die...sort of.

Any moment with Garrus.

Mordin's last moments, renegade style. I was so hesitant pulling the trigger and then I did and may have shed a tear.

Fuck the ending, there were some damn good moments in the trilogy.

I'm going to have to go with two of the musical tracks from ME3.

Don't get me wrong, rest of the series is awesome as well. But these two numbers have just stuck with me.

Yeah... I'm a sucker for music like that...

Grunt's suicide charge because Grunt is amazing and the only crew member I could believe ran into a suicide charge and somehow survived despite your (and HIS) expectations.

Garrus and Joker telling jokes to each other on the Normandy Bridge (because it really made it feel like the crew bonded with people OTHER than Shepherd)

"I'm Garrus Vakarrian and this is my favourite bar on the citadel" because when your wingman calls you out on that it just makes everything worthwhile..

Amethyst Wind:

(Naturally this is Jennifer Hale's Shepard. Mark Meer, science help him, was simply outclassed.)

I remember that. It was one of my favourite parts of the first game.

It's kind of a shame that it only comes up in 1/3 of playthroughs. I imagine that a great many people never saw it.

Reuniting with Garrus in ME2. The first familiar face in the sequel, and it was fucking Garrus!

The conversation with Sovreign in ME1. Too bad the Reapers were never able to display that level of threat again throughout the rest of the series.

When I got rid of Ashley in ME1. I was happy as fuck to throw her away.

Killing Kai Leng in ME3 with the Renegade interrupt.

THAT WAS FOR THANE YOU SON OF A BITCH!

Actually beating fucking Matriarch Benezia in ME1. Fuck that fight.

Y'know, reading through this thread makes me feel very very sad. Sad because, as a filthy PS3 owner, I'll never get to play the original Mass Effect 3, and truly have the full impact of the series. Also, because of that, having some content automatically locked out (its impossible to meet Conrad on PS3 I've heard, and I don't think its possible to meet Kirrahe on Sur'Kesh)

But it also makes me happy, because I fucking love Mass Effect. As others have said, there are so many great moments in the series, its one of the few game series where I have actually felt so attached to the characters. So, because I cant really say 'the whole fucking thing', I'll say some of my favourite moments are:

The whole genophage storyline. Mordins Loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2, if you go through all the dialogue options you can, you really see his passion, his inner conflict for what he has done, and his revulsion over the experiments that had been done on Tuchanka.

In Mass Effect 3, when

I also agree with thebobmaster. I never had a problem with the ending of the game, but the extra stuff in the EC just made it for me. That moment when Shepard and (in my case Liara) have to seperate knowing that they'll never see each other again... Man, thats tough. Especially considering how the romance between them played out. I really felt like they'd bonded, and that is of course, mainly due to the voice acting.

Ok, thats enough for now...

This:

Could we just have an entire game where you play as Shepard and your the best friend of Garrus and its your duty to cause shenanigans on the citadel together.

Love interests spread to all of the crew as well.

Also, the ending to Mass Effect 2 when the collector base is blown to bits.

Ah... god, there are so many.

The first time you see the Citadel, being inducted as a Spectre, Virmire, the battle of the Citadel, seeing the Normandy SR-2, reuniting with your old squadmates in 2, Thane's entrance on Illium (and everything about his romance path), the suicide run, and... so many moments in 3 I really don't know where to begin.

Watching Earth getting fucked up in the opening of ME3 by the Reapers.
The Mother of Thresher Maws doing what she does best.

Where do I start... I'll just give a top five from each game in no order:

ME1: Saren suicide, THAT moment on Virmire, Becoming a SPECTRE, Saving everyone on Feros (Except the business guy. He was strangely shot. A lot.), and stopping Soverign/Balak in Bring Down The Sky. Meta: Discovering TVTropes and Zero Punctuation through the game.

ME2: Opening sequence, ENTIRE Suicide Mission, All of the DLC to save space, Flipping off Illusive Man, Recruiting the team. Meta: Beating the game on Insanity after six solid months of pain.

ME3: Watching that little f**k at the start die, Meeting up with everyone I'd saved before and seeing them kick ass and chew bubblegum, ENTIRE End Sequence, Fighting the Reapers, Happiness that BioWare listened to Ending problems and fixed them. Meta: Not spoiling a thing for myself and being at my midnight opening.

And of course, Punching the Journalist.

TopazFusion:
I really liked Liara's time capsule scene. Especially so if you have her as your love interest.

Which dialogue option did you choose?

If you ask her to do however she sees fit, she describes your Shepard based on origin, Para/Ren scores and class. It was pretty cool because in my case they got it bang on with everything she said.

This wasn't my "Favorite" but it was the moment that got to me the most. Keep in mind I only played through ME2 and 3..

In ME3 when you have to decide whether the Geth or the Quarians get to live. I was playing as a paragon but since I didn't save Tali from Exile in ME2 I didn't have the ability to save both races. I wanted to pick the "good" decision, except there really isn't one, so I think I chose the standard "Upper Right" option, but that ended up killing the Quarians and had Tali jump off the cliff, which I found to be ultra depressing and made me feel sad about my decision. Then I reloaded my save and tried the other option where the Geth died. That was only slightly less depressing than the death of the Quarians. I decided to stick with that path, as I felt all things being considered, saving the Quarians was more "good" than saving the Geth, as I never remembered having to fight Quarians during the ME games. I'm currently doing a Renegade playthrough and unless I get the option to save both (which I doubt will happen) I'll save the Geth this time, but I remember being particularly annoyed at that decision because Legion ended up dying anyways!

thebobmaster:
Time for the flames!

In my opinion, the new cutscene towards the end of the game post-EC, assuming you had your love interest in your party while charging the beam, was incredibly well done. That scene showed just how close you and your love interest were with little more than dialogue and vocal inflections. For example, if you are a male Shep romancing Tali, and you send her away on the ship, these are the last two lines of dialogue.

Shepard: I need you to get out of here, Tali. Get back to Rannoch...build yourself a home.

That moment determined one thing for me. I was never, ever going to choose anything other than the destroy ending. Why? Because doing anything else would leave Tali without Shepard. And any writing that can make me feel that connected to fictional characters has to be applauded.

Beat me to the punch, this was mine as well
The last few words between tali and maleshep really tugged at my heart strings.

I also loved Grunt's "final" stand to save shep from the reaper enhanced rachni. really made me love that loveable badass krogan even more.

Zhukov:

Amethyst Wind:

It's kind of a shame that it only comes up in 1/3 of playthroughs. I imagine that a great many people never saw it.

It's been a while since I played ME1, and as you said a lot of people might have missed that one. Could you explain the context of that scene?

thebobmaster:

This. For all of them. Even the non-romance EDI clip.

So many feels.

Also, someone beat me too it, but Grunts final charge (and return). Grunt was never my favorite character, but that scene made him for me.

I'll keep this short and just say my one favorite moment from each game, although there are plenty more I could mention.

ME1: Talking with Sovereign on Virmire.

ME2: Destroying the Collector Base and getting everyone out alive.

ME3: (Oh God this is a tough one to pick. It could be any one of, I don't know, fifty!) Curing the Genophage.

Edit: As It's not been mentioned yet, I'm going to give a special mention to Lieutenant Victus. I think because curing the genophage and Mordin's sacrifice comes so soon afterwards this one often gets eclipsed in retrospect, but damn it got to me at the time.

and to piss everyone off:
-------------------------------

it was the suicide mission in me2.
also pole dancing Kelly Chambers. rawrrr

but the best:

Dafttechno:

Zhukov:

Amethyst Wind:

It's been a while since I played ME1, and as you said a lot of people might have missed that one. Could you explain the context of that scene?

If you have the Colonist background to your Shepard, where you grew up on Mindoir and survived an attack by Batarian slavers there, you get a side mission on the Citadel concerning it. You're asked to talk down a woman who's going crazy at the docking bay, and it turns out she was kidnapped as a child in that same raid, and has become so mentally damaged from her time in captivity that she can't even refer to herself in the first person. I find that I can't really do it justice just writing it here, but it is a very sad moment.

Casual Shinji:
Reuniting with Garrus in ME2. The first familiar face in the sequel, and it was fucking Garrus!

The conversation with Sovreign in ME1. Too bad the Reapers were never able to display that level of threat again throughout the rest of the series.

Tali was the first familiar face, but I do agree with everything else. Garrus is fucking awesome.

Jorec:
Easy. From ME2 the paragon ending to the Overlord DLC. My god that was incredibly sad, but very heartwarming to know that David was finally getting actual help.

Not to mention the sweet satisfaction of pistol whipping that son of a bitch Archer. Seeing David again during ME3 actually brought a bit of a tear to my eye.

Oh you get to see David again? I will be looking forward to that. =D

I confess I teared up at the end when you see what condition David was actually in and hearing him repeat things in a voice that just sounded terrified... Makes me shudder. A very emotional ending and a good one at that.

In addition to above...

- The talk Shepard has with Liara in her cabin post-Shadow Broker, I confess that with my Shepard's colonist background I like to think she views at least some of her crew members as surrogate family... And that scene just brought a smile to my face seeing her and Liara speak like they were family.

-Pretty much any time my Shepard was speaking with Mordin emotionally. His views were very interesting to read and Mordin is probably one of my favorites.

- The end of Garrus' loyalty mission, it felt so tense and I was on my toes during the whole scene making my choices and seeing how they went ahead. It really felt like the choices made had some weight with them making me really want to not miss a step. It's actually kind of rare for that to happen for me during a dialog-heavy scene and I liked it.

They can't all be emotional you know. ;D

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked