Which track do you prefer, or think you could stand to listen to over and over?
EXPLORE MUSIC 1
51.4% (36)
51.4% (36)
EXPLORE MUSIC 2
48.6% (34)
48.6% (34)

Votes: 70
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: [Experiment] Choose the music track you like most

Sup, I play a lot of DOTA 2 (yes yes, MOBAs suck blah blah) and I hate one of these music tracks because it gets on my nerves after the 15th time I hear it, and it's the 'explore' track so you hear it a LOT.

So basically I wanna do a little experiment, I'm not going to tell you which one I don't like because that would ruin it, but I need you to pick the one you like the most - the one you could bear to hear over and over.

EXPLORE MUSIC 1

EXPLORE MUSIC 2

Listen to them both, the whole way through if you can spare it... Then make your choice in the poll. We'll see if you think the same way I do. (Will update with the result after a while)

Cheers guys!

I prefer the first one.

Dunno why exactly, I'm just generally partial to lower pitched sounds.

Zhukov:
I prefer the first one.

Dunno why exactly, I'm just generally partial to lower pitched sounds.

Interesting. I'm not saying anything yet =p

edit: Bah, come on people... moar votes needed

Neither, to be honest. They're pretty similar to each other, and both are leaning on the generic fantasy button too much.
Concordantly, I didn't vote in the poll.
If I had to hazard a guess, OP dislikes the second one because of the 40 seconds or so of flute in the beginning.

Neither really tickled my fancy, but 2 sounded better to me. More variety helps I guess.

Eh, they are both rather boring orchestral pieces overall. I like music with a distinct tune, which is also why I prefer the second one because of the flute solo.

both are pretty dull to be honest, but 1 seemed slightly less so.

mind you, nether are good enough to stop me from turning the BGM off and playing something i like. like Disturbed

I preferred the first one. I didn't care for the flute (or whatever it is. Don't get fussy with me on that) in the second song.

Both awfully generic, but I liked the first one more. Also.. C'mon, drop the whole "intelligent, secret experiment" thing.

2 would get annoying a lot faster, I pick #1.

I love the flute in the second one. Everything else in it is more or less eh, the background sustain high pitched string note in the beginning is annoying, but other than that I love the flute.

The problem with your poll and the option I think you'll see that most people will disagree with you is that people who don't play a lot will judge the songs based on their single first time hearing them. Me personally I don't listen to music and while I know the songs are from DOTA 2 I usually just tone them out like most other background music. That said I prefer the second song, because its more varied and just doesn't seem as "samey" as the first one. The problem with that (and also the reason I think its the one that the OP finds more annoying) is because it sticks out more, you're more likely to realize it playing and listen for it and subsequently be annoyed by it quicker.

Captcha: I'm not dead yet...

Or we could search for a *turn off music button* and do what I did when I played DOTA 1. I picked Sven and played Iron Maiden in the background. It felt so great.

Neither are great.
The first is definitely more suited for exploration, because its less noticeable, however its too much still... it would therefore suit a loading screen well, or a hub/home base/starter town... Something that youll hear a lot while your in the honeymoon period of a game, setting a nice, friendly, mystical scene... something youre likely to remember nostalgically should you return, and not heard anywhere else in the game. I suppose in that way, its not bad.

The second one is unquestionably title screen music. Far too pronounced for anything but. It is title screen music.

I choose the first.

I really have no preference they didnt evoke any feelings in me whatsoever so I am afraid I will have to skip the poll, unless you want me to flip a coin or something.

Disliked number 2 the most, the "flute" (pretty sure it's a brass instrument) is well played but badly recorded which is kinda jarring to me

I'm going to have to go with the first one. Started off slow but got much better towards the end.

The problem I'm having is that both music tracks feel as though they could be in the same situation. The type of music to use for "exploring" is contingent upon the setting, so a picture might be useful for those who have not played DOTA II.

Example: The flute in the second track sounds foreign and ethnic to my western brain, so the setting immediately shifts to some exotic world, perhaps somewhere in the Middle East or Southern Asia. And that's only because of that particular instrument. It would feel out of place in, let's say, Canada.

Putting music that doesn't suit the environment would be annoying, perhaps, so for the sake of your experiment I'll say that the second one drives you mad simply because it sticks out more to you.

I'll go with the first.

The flute in the second was kinda grating. Where it's wavering all over the place instead of sounding out the high note from the get-go. I realize its probably just an artifact of playing a real flute but it's painful on the ears. If they had cleaned that artifact up it would have made for a pretty nice song.

The first one is a better piece of music to have to listen to over and over. Both are great, however. They're ambient enough to be in the background during the downtime of a game, yet melodic enough to remain interesting. Are there only two explore tracks? The way they're written leads me to believe that they flow into one another (possibly randomly?) but if there are only two tracks then that's pretty pointless.

I'd say the second one is the one frustrating to listen to on repeat because the flute has a lot of 'imperfections' in how it's being played. I can see how the sound of the buttons being pressed and the artist drawing breath could be irritating if someone is forced to listen to the track over and over. It's like listening to a guitar where somebody is lightly brushing their fingers up and down the strings when they move chords, it becomes increasingly hard not to focus on it once you pick up on it.

I don't like either, but I'd say 1 is less annoying

I'd say the first one, although neither of them were all that bad. In fact I found both to be quite pleasing to the ear. However if I had to choose one to hear over and over again I'd definitely go with #1

I enjoyed them both, but I think the "flute", or whatever it was, would get annoying after a while. It is fairly intrusive, making the second song much more prominently foregrounded whereas the first song seems like it would just kind of stay in the background providing ambiance without drawing attention to itself.

I'm not sure if I would bear to hear either over and over, however, I prefer Explore 2.

I don't really like either, but I would be able to stand EM 1. Reason being that 1 doesn't have a noticeable melody, unlike 2. Melodies get stuck in your head a lot more easily than harmonies, and what makes a song particularly annoying is if it has a melody you've been hearing repeatedly.

Also, you can hear the inhales of the instrument player from EM 2, which is a bit jarring and would make it even more annoying.

templar1138a:
I don't really like either, but I would be able to stand EM 1. Reason being that 1 doesn't have a noticeable melody, unlike 2. Melodies get stuck in your head a lot more easily than harmonies, and what makes a song particularly annoying is if it has a melody you've been hearing repeatedly.

Also, you can hear the inhales of the instrument player from EM 2, which is a bit jarring and would make it even more annoying.

You win the 'For Science' award!

This explains a lot.

Lumber Barber:
Both awfully generic, but I liked the first one more. Also.. C'mon, drop the whole "intelligent, secret experiment" thing.

=(

King of Asgaard:
Neither, to be honest. They're pretty similar to each other, and both are leaning on the generic fantasy button too much.
Concordantly, I didn't vote in the poll.
If I had to hazard a guess, OP dislikes the second one because of the 40 seconds or so of flute in the beginning.

This; I heard the first one and am still convinced I've heard it before, and I've never had anything to do with DOTA.

I like the second one a hell of a lot more than the first one, even though you can hear the musician take his gasps for the flute. But yeah, that piece of music would stick with me throughout the game.

Captcha: garden of eden

Well, if you think it fits more for that kind of scene...who am I to question you...

The second one has way too much breathing. You can hear the flute (whatever) player inhaling every few seconds. Kinda annoying.

Binnsyboy:
This; I heard the first one and am still convinced I've heard it before, and I've never had anything to do with DOTA.

That's because the composer worked on the World Of Warcraft score, and it's quite similar to a few key tracks from it.

I like #2 a little bit more, but I think that #1 is better as background music in the long run, so that's the one I voted for. I won't be able to test that hypothesis, but it will have to do for an answer.

Hard to say, both were incredibly boring to listen to while trying not to do something else. There were a little more variation in two so I think I would prefer that one.

templar1138a:

Yeah, hearing the flute player inhale was rather annoying.

Number one was easier to tune out while I read the other posts, so I chose that one.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked