--

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I think of myself as an MMO veteran , ive played World of warcraft , eve online , warhammer online , tabula rasa , age of conan and lord of the rings online .but last year I had to quit because I got conscripted into the army , and now that im out I've been looking to get back into them and have no idea where to start .

guild wars 2 is an obvious contender but I've played enough of the beta to know that there is no fucking way it's gonna be playable at launch. Then there is star wars the old republic but that's going free to play in a few month so I'd rather just wait .

this leaves me with a solid 3 or 4 month during which I can sail into uncharted waters and test out some of the more obscure MMO's out there , things like vindictus, tera, rift and so on .
so if you play any of them ( and please only recommend things you play/played ) what's a good place to start? and why?

TL;DR
MMO recommendations , GO!

Rift is a pretty solid choice.
The gameplay is smooth, and the customization options are broader than most other mmo's I have played.

If you don't mind free to play Dungeon Fighter online is an alright game. It's like an old school brawler game only it's online.

Well the Secret World has a free weekend starting a 9PM or something GMT tonight, you literally have nothing to lose by going to the website, downloading the game and trying it this weekend.

Well since this game Blade & Soul isn't out yet (similar to TERA in terms of Loli and busty women but less mystical and more martial art like) I guess maybe Wakfu? While it is an MMO but it's a turn based tatical MMORPG. Here's the trailer to best sum it up. It's a sequel to this game called Dofus which was quite popular in Europe (mainly France).

Wait...how will GW2 not be playable at launch? It was perfectly playable in the beta's so far for me. Sure, a little bit of performance issues, but they did say that they deliberately let the game use less resources than the higher-end computers had. (like using less than all cores from your CPU) And that they would allow everything to be used during retail. So yea, how is GW2 not playable?

Spiral Knights- Legend of Zelda/dungeon crawler MMO

Wakfu- Turn based Strategy MMO

Dungeon Fighter Online- Beat em up MMO

Realm of the Mad God- Bullet hell MMO

Rusty Hearts- Dungeon MMO(?)

Guild Wars 2
Vindictus - Dungeon runner action mmo
World of Warcraft

Non mmo games you should play
League of Legends - MOBA
StarCraft2 - RTS

Allods and Dead Frontier I've been playing recently.
Allods is a WoW clone, but a good one.
And Dead Frontier is a browser based zombie MMO. No Download!
Both are F2P.

ruedyn:
Both are F2P.

I'ved played allods and i play WoW.
Allods is HORRIBLE, its controls its animation issues and bugs, its story fell flat, it had almost no recognition of what World of Warcraft was even about, and the game lacks any form of balance.
And worst of all Allods is a free to play "pay to win" game, and its hosted by one of the worst companies on the market, Gpotato.

Gpotato just lost several of its games.
December it lost Tales Runner, March it lost Prius and Luna, July it lost Iris Online.
Its also in its history lost upshift, corum, Shot Online, and Space Cowboy.
gpotato also refuses to spend excess on advertising.

Allods is a horrible suggestion for anyone.

FranBunnyFFXII:

ruedyn:
Both are F2P.

Allods is HORRIBLE, its controls its animation issues and bugs, its story fell flat, it had almost no recognition of what World of Warcraft was even about, and the game lacks any form of balance.
And worst of all Allods is a free to play "pay to win" game, and its hosted by one of the worst companies on the market, Gpotato.

December it lost Tales Runner, March it lost Prius and Luna, July it lost Iris Online.

I was just suggesting the two off the top of my head. The OP already said LOTRO and my brain scrambled for another MMO, and I remembered playing it and somewhat enjoying myself, though that might be because I had friends with me. Also alot of your post was just bashing gpotato, ad since when have you played an MMO with a good story besides SWTOR?

Fallen Earth. The post-apoc setting is a nice change from the usual fantasy variants and it has 1st/3rd person shooter combat. Quite a different feel to it - not as polished as some, but beautifully atmoshpheric and open.

Star Trek Online. Best recommended if you're a fan of the Trek franchise. Ground combat is okay, but the real selling point for STO is the space combat, which is fantastic.

Both of these are F2P now.

ruedyn:

FranBunnyFFXII:

ruedyn:
Both are F2P.

I was just suggesting the two off the top of my head. The OP already said LOTRO and my brain scrambled for another MMO, and I remembered playing it and somewhat enjoying myself, though that might be because I had friends with me. Also alot of your post was just bashing gpotato, ad since when have you played an MMO with a good story besides SWTOR?

I happen to love the world of warcraft story. Ive never played SWTOR, but one of the real impressive things about WoW is getting into its stories.
Its Sylvanas quest line was amazing, i mean it felt like you were being thrust into a hellish war.
WoW has some crazy good writing in it if you pay attention.

FranBunnyFFXII:
snip

I really don't feel like debating on a thread about recommending a guy games, so let's just end this with, 'I disagree but whatever.'

Sixcess:
Star Trek Online. Best recommended if you're a fan of the Trek franchise. Ground combat is okay, but the real selling point for STO is the space combat, which is fantastic.

Both of these are F2P now.

I would agree with this, the space combat is really cool, I've been playing much more sto than I thought I would be.

Kingdom of Loathing is a good, simple choice. It has turn based combat, and is in some ways only a few steps up from a text adventure, but it's quirky, fun, and free. And by free I mean you don't need to buy anything. If your up to trying something different than the average, or even more out there MMOs, Kingdom of Loathing might work.

--

Sword Art Online.

EVE Online is pretty fun if you're into spreadsheets and stuff like I am. I just haven't played in a while so I'm not sure what the newer updates are like.

Judging from the list of MMOs you've played, you're probably looking for something genuinely different from the standard practice of making WoW with a different skin, so I'm going to recommend the previously-mentioned Dofus.

It's a fun game with a great art style and a wicked sense of humour, but best of all, it has a Final Fantasy Tactics-esque battle system. You still run around and explore the world as with any other MMO, but when you engage a monster or another player (PVP optional) the view switches to a battlefield where you engage your foes on a grid. You have limited movement points and action points (with which to move and act, respectively) each turn. Action points are used for melee attacks, abilities, etc. The battles are pretty strategic, especially in large-scale combat with multiple team-mates against multiple enemies. There are a ton of classes to choose from, each has multiple viable builds and all are fairly well balanced.

The game is free to play, though it's really more of a free trial than an F2P game. The game will allow you to play as much and as often as you like, and your level progression isn't capped, nor is your equipment restricted, but you won't be able to act anywhere outside the starting areas, meaning you can't engage higher level enemies, trade at the better auction houses or partake in the best dungeon raids, etc.

In any case, the fact that it has a free trial is more than good enough reason to give it a shot. It's free to download and if you like it and choose to pay, there are rewards for doing so.

I'm going to second asking why gw2 is unplayable, but I guess that's a question for another thread. As for what to play, I can't really think of anything that isn't a wow clone besides EVE. And since you've played it already....well there goes my recommendation

sanquin:
Wait...how will GW2 not be playable at launch? It was perfectly playable in the beta's so far for me. Sure, a little bit of performance issues, but they did say that they deliberately let the game use less resources than the higher-end computers had. (like using less than all cores from your CPU) And that they would allow everything to be used during retail. So yea, how is GW2 not playable?

Yeah I hate how people thought the Beta wasn't actually a beta and more like a 'free demo build', look OP they are working on optimisation and as far as I know optimisation is one of the last things that is worked on in the game development process. I wouldn't go round thinking GW2 will be unplayable at launch most Beta Weekend events have been more of a test of servers etc. than the actual game, again it's a beta build not the full build the game will be quite different on launch.
Also I'll add that the past stress test just yesterday was a fun different beta build filled with some unexpected surprises I didn't see coming out of the game, mostly things that set the atmosphere and tone but they were nice touches nonetheless.
Also if you have what is described as a decent gaming rig people have been complaining about optimisation issues I'll quote one 'rumour' going around I can't think of what to call it atm :/

Also sorry if this post comes off a bit ragey pretty much this is the thing being spammed non-stop on the beta forums atm... (=_=)

Genuine Evil:
I think of myself as an MMO veteran , ive played World of warcraft , eve online , warhammer online , tabula rasa , age of conan and lord of the rings online .but last year I had to quit because I got conscripted into the army , and now that im out I've been looking to get back into them and have no idea where to start .

guild wars 2 is an obvious contender but I've played enough of the beta to know that there is no fucking way it's gonna be playable at launch.

trololololo

You answered your own question and then somehow determined it's not going to be playable at launch. I guess you have your own crystal ball eh?

Apart from GW2 there are no MMOs that are worth playing.

If you enjoyed the Lord of the Rings Online, it's about to get a big boost to player numbers with the Riders of Rohan expansion just around the corner (Sep 5). With the expansion comes Mounted combat, which I for one am super-excited about. Even if you don't enjoy it, it would be interesting to try, imho - though you have to be level 75 to start trying it.

If you didn't enjoy it, then well, I can't really help you, except to recommend you give it another shot. That's the only MMO I play, cause I'm a Tolkien fan (not necessarily an MMO fan)

Rift is quite good and solid.

Guild Wars 2 may be another good choice? Not sure... haven't seen anything from it. but it seems promising. (The first Guild War didn't appeal to me at all.)

Anything except The Secret World, it's not even worth to try during the weekend. I can't even recommend wait a few months for it to go Free-2-Play.

I understand that they had to make up a "1-month celebration" to get more subscribers. It doesn't help though, it just puts even more people off that otherwise would have taken a chance and bought it (and then gotten bored). They'll make less money this way.

Death Carr:

Sixcess:
Fallen Earth.

I played it very early on when it just came out and it was nearly unplayable with how much lag there was ( I think it's because they didn't have any EU servers ). Did they fix that?

I remember the lag well, but that's long since been addressed and the game runs a lot smoother now. Additionally, not too long ago they rebuilt Embry, the sector one hub town, to enable it to run smoother, since that's where so many people congregate.

Sixcess:
Star Trek Online.

A friend of mine who played it for 2 month or so at launch complained that there was almost no content after a certain level . is that still a problem ?

I haven't ran into any lack of content. I'm nowehere near level cap (I level very slowly) but I'm not finding myself at a loss for things to do, between the main narrative, dailies and sectors of space you can just explore randomly. I played it a bit at launch and came away a bit lukewarm, it was okay but not worth the sub. Having went back to it now I can say I was much more impressed. It's improved a lot from what it was.

Also Is it a fan game? or can I into it as someone who never watched a single episode of star track in his life (ohhhh the shame , it burns........)

If you went into it with an open mind about how it'll play I'd say yes. By which I mean, for example, the ground combat is less showy than some, since you're not some godlike one man army, but a Starfleet officer with an away team (your bridge officers, who are pretty competent NPC back up on ground missions.) Similary, the space combat is more tactical than just zoom zoom pew pew. These are big ships with hundreds of crew so it's a lot about getting into position, keeping your strongest shields toward the enemy while maximising how many of your own firing arcs you can bring to bear on the target, and using your special abilities to maximise your damage output and counter their attacks. Like I said, I love the starship combat.

The Trek feel is definitely there, but it does a reasonable job of showing and explaining the setting for the uninitiated.

Sixcess:

Death Carr:

Sixcess:
Fallen Earth.

I played it very early on when it just came out and it was nearly unplayable with how much lag there was ( I think it's because they didn't have any EU servers ). Did they fix that?

snip

Erm...
I think you misquoted me there.
I think you meant to quote Genuine Evil.

Saviordd1:
Well the Secret World has a free weekend starting a 9PM or something GMT tonight, you literally have nothing to lose by going to the website, downloading the game and trying it this weekend.

I got that e-mail as well. I thought you had to buy the game first. But you can just play for free this weekend?

Death Carr:
Erm...
I think you misquoted me there.
I think you meant to quote Genuine Evil.

Oops. My bad.

I'm gonna blame the new forum layout.

captcha: nap time
...either that or I'm still half asleep.

Rift /solid old school type mmo.
Great raiding experience too.

id recomend star trek online. 2 to 3 weeks worth of play and thats it.

otherwise world of tanks is fun

only EvE is worth it

Spiral Knights is a pretty good (if somewhat grindy) dungeon crawler MMO.

City of Heroes/Villains is also worth a look at if you want something with an insane amount of character customization that's 'familiar yet different'

Runescape.

Why? it's the most successful MMO to date ;)

Rift is pretty fun and I think it has unlimited trial now.
It's familiar but also adds enough for it not to be the same game. The rift events are awesome.
Like others, I would like to know why you don't GW2 will be playable on launch?
I think the beta weekends have been amazing and I can't wait for the finished product =D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked