My planned P.C. build thread.

Pages PREV 1 2

nu1mlock:
Alright, here's a serious suggestion for you OP:

Stop this right now. You've said it yourself, you won't have this setup finished until SEPTEMBER 2013 (!) anyway. Just save your money and get whatever is at the same price your current imaginary setup is.

That way you'll get better stuff for the same money.

Nope. I plan on getting it piece at a time so I don't have a nightmare the last two weeks in august when I'm trying to put the computer together while frantically waiting for the hard drive to arrive in the mail.

Oh, I almost forgot:

trollpwner:
So, if you've got any questions at all about the suitability of these parts or about the quality of this build, please don't hesitate to throw them at me, but I'll see if I can pre-empt a few here.

Yeah, the quality of the mouse you chose is low. Very low. You asked, there you have it. Just letting you know the quality is low. Same with the headset. Doesn't matter if it has worked "the last 8 months", it's still low quality. Very low.

Now you know.

Well, that's your opinion. And I'm going to go with the opinion of the many, many people who liked these products over yours. And mine. [EDIT: this implies that I agree with this people, not that I'm mindlessly following them. Could've worded that better.] Because I've never had a problem with cheap headsets and mice. So, thanks for your input, but I'm not going to listen to that.

nu1mlock:

trollpwner:

Matthew94:
SNIP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2251VR-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0060LCBTG/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344100402&sr=1-7

That's not an IPS monitor though.

Bu-wha- I PUT "IPS MONITOR" INTO AMAZON DANGNAMMIT! WHAT'VE I GOT TO DO To....nevermind. I'll go look for some other ones. *grumble*

trollpwner:

Matthew94:

No no no! You don't get it :D

Homeplugs don't leave wires everywhere, that's why they are great. You put one next to your router and plug it into the wall. You then connect it to the router.

You plug the other into the wall next to your PC then connect it to the PC. The net signal gets transmitted through the electricity cables in your home. You get the speed of wired with next to no mess.

It's great!

It looms like this, you connect it to the router and the other to your PC.

Wait-wha? Those things are awesome! Seriously! Where can I get one?

EDIT: they are expensive though... How much better performance than a dongle would I get?

These are the one I have.

They are rated up to 200Mbps and you will likely hit that especially as net speeds seem to top out at around 80 in the UK with the best fiber.

The benefits are you'll have a much more stable connection and I believe you'll get a better ping.

Essentially you get the benefits of wired with less hassle. Of course a true wired connection is the best as it doesn't need to deal with electricity cables but the compromise is minimal at most.

trollpwner:

Matthew94:

trollpwner:
As for monitors, I found a new one, which costs about the same and has rave reviews. I've edited it into the OP.

I saw that, it's not IPS though and that's what I'm saying you should get.

Trust me, they are very good.

How much do they cost, though? Could I have a link, please?

They can be quite pricy.

This is what I have. It is S-IPS which is one of the best possible panel types. You will either love or hate the res though, 1600x1200 and 20". More height than 1080P but less width. 8% less pixels overall.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DELL-UltraSharp-2007FP-Panel-Monitor/dp/B000UVDONY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344100538&sr=8-5

Dell sometimes advertise them as having a VA panel (which is better than TN but not as good as S-IPS) but they actually use both but didn't tell anyone. I contacted the amazon seller and they say all of these are the S-IPS ones, mine was anyway.

This is another I have, it is cheaper and E-IPS. You don't get as good image quality but it's still quite far ahead of TN.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-IPS234V-PN-AEK-inch-Screen-Monitor/dp/B008F7GW2K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344100880&sr=8-5

136 for a 23" 1080P monitor.

trollpwner:

Matthew94:
SNIP

OK: here's an IPS monitor, does it look any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-E2251VR-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0060LCBTG/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344100402&sr=1-7

Also, those homeplugs aren't more than about 20. That might be a worthwhile update at some point.

EDIT: here's one. Does it look any good as well?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/devolo-dLAN-Highspeed-HomePlug-Starter/dp/B0028QKNI8/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344100613&sr=1-6

For the homeplugs I'd go for the ones I linked, better to have an excess in rated speed so you are sure you get the full speed that you need. It's only 10 more.

That monitor isn't IPS, it's LED. IPS is the panel type while LED is the backlight.

nu1mlock:

trollpwner:

Matthew94:
SNIP

That's not an IPS monitor though.

Sorry for the double posts. Here's one that is definetely an IPS monitor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VS229H-Widescreen-Monitor-Headphone/dp/B005HIRFYO/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344100862&sr=1-4

Also, is it a bad idea to buy a pre-owned monitor if you're going to use it for several years?

trollpwner:
Bu-wha- I PUT "IPS MONITOR" INTO AMAZON DANGNAMMIT! WHAT'VE I GOT TO DO To....nevermind. I'll go look for some other ones. *grumble*

See, that's how much you can trust Amazon.

Please note that I'm kidding, I've left the mouse/headset debacle behind. Also thanks for a non-asshole response to my "regarding the mouse" post. After all, I am just trying to help.

Keep in mind that the homeplugs won't work at the University.

Edit: Most probably won't work at the University if you're using a dorm room (or whatever it's called). :P

trollpwner:

Also, is it a bad idea to buy a pre-owned monitor if you're going to use it for several years?

Not sure about LED monitors but I know that if you have an old CCFL monitor (cathode tubes) the lights can weaker and you'll get a weaker light as a result.

nu1mlock:

Ohh yeah, good point.

I had forgotten about that.

Matthew94:
SNIP

OK! Let's stop right here. These posts are getting all over the place.

*ahem*

Not sure if you noticed, but I found this IPS monitor and it looks reasonable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VS229H-Widescreen-Monitor-Headphone/dp/B005HIRFYO/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344100862&sr=1-4

In terms of homeplug, I'm happy to go lower. I've never even heard of someone getting more than about 20mb/s. If internet speeds begin to significantly improve, I'll upgrade then.

nu1mlock:
SNIP

Also, mind if I foist you in?

It'd also be good to know how good an idea it is to buy a pre-owned monitor.

EDIT:

Matthew94:

nu1mlock:

Ohh yeah, good point.

I had forgotten about that.

They'll generally give you a CAT5 port or the like.

Matthew94:

trollpwner:

Not sure about LED monitors but I know that if you have an old CCFL monitor (cathode tubes) the lights can weaker and you'll get a weaker light as a result.

And well, anything can break, having a warranty is always good. Or wait, how long is the US warranty? 6 months? If that's the case, nevermind. If it's like here in Sweden where you've got 2 years on everything and another year if it's a manufactor error, then no, buy new.

nu1mlock:

Matthew94:

trollpwner:

And well, anything can break, having a warranty is always good. Or wait, how long is the US warranty? 6 months? If that's the case, nevermind. If it's like here in Sweden where you've got 2 years on everything and another year if it's a manufactor error, then no, buy new.

Oh, well that answers that. Thanks for that.

trollpwner:

Matthew94:
SNIP

OK! Let's stop right here. These posts are getting all over the place.

*ahem*

Not sure if you noticed, but I found this IPS monitor and it looks reasonable.

In terms of homeplug, I'm happy to go lower. I've never even heard of someone getting more than about 20mb/s. If internet speeds begin to significantly improve, I'll upgrade then.

Yeah, you could go with that, it seems like a quality monitor for the cash. I would go for it anyway over the TN ones linked here. The reviews are good too.

If you were willing to play the ultimate gamble you could get the $300 monitor wolfram linked. If you win you win BIG. The panel pretty much matches a 530 Dell for 191.

Matthew94:

Yeah, you could go with that, it seems like a quality monitor for the cash. I would go for it anyway over the TN ones linked here. The reviews are good too.

If you were willing to play the ultimate gamble you could get the $300 monitor wolfram linked. If you win you win BIG. The panel pretty much matches a 530 Dell for 191.

I'd rather not gamble, as this is something I'm going to be using for a while. Well, that seems to be it. Thanks for that, everyone!

yuval152:
Maybe switch the mouse to razer? besides that there's nothing you need to change.

But seeing that the K&B you chose are super cheap i guess you don't care about it.

And change the monitor to IPS LED,they are super good.

Honestly I'd spend extra to get a 240GB SSD, just to give you better clearance for installing the OS and storing your documents. My setup is a 240GB SSD and a 3TB HDD which houses all my games, and music.......all my movies reside on my 5TB server :p

Dude you've got a K series processor. The only reason to buy those is to overclock it as soon as possible.

And yes, 650W is fine. If I can run an overclocked CPU and SLI GTX 580's off an 850, you'll be fine.

trollpwner:
-Snip-

First, I didn't read the entire thread so if something I say has already been covered just ignore it.

First thing I'd say is go with a Sandy bridge over the Ivy bridge (I know I'm gonna get a heap of shit for this) seeing as your planning on overclocking (or seem to at least). The Sandy bridge runs much cooler than the Ivy bridge and from this has higher overclocking headroom. The boost to overclocking negates the minor cpu efficiency boost of the Ivy bridge and then some. Main reason for the price increase to the Ivy bridge is it's better integrated graphics which any self respecting PC gamer wouldn't even bother with.

Next thing is I'd say up your ram to 1600 mhz. The price difference between 1333 and 1600 mhz is that small that there's no reason not to go one up. Plus it'd help further down the line.

Personally I'd up the psu to 700 or 750W. Not that it's actually needed but it'd help for when you inevitably upgrade parts.

That Cpu cooler seems like it's a bit overkill. Also for that price you might want to look into getting water cooling.

black_knight1337:

trollpwner:
-Snip-

First, I didn't read the entire thread so if something I say has already been covered just ignore it.

First thing I'd say is go with a Sandy bridge over the Ivy bridge (I know I'm gonna get a heap of shit for this) seeing as your planning on overclocking (or seem to at least). The Sandy bridge runs much cooler than the Ivy bridge and from this has higher overclocking headroom. The boost to overclocking negates the minor cpu efficiency boost of the Ivy bridge and then some. Main reason for the price increase to the Ivy bridge is it's better integrated graphics which any self respecting PC gamer wouldn't even bother with.

Next thing is I'd say up your ram to 1600 mhz. The price difference between 1333 and 1600 mhz is that small that there's no reason not to go one up. Plus it'd help further down the line.

Personally I'd up the psu to 700 or 750W. Not that it's actually needed but it'd help for when you inevitably upgrade parts.

That Cpu cooler seems like it's a bit overkill. Also for that price you might want to look into getting water cooling.

I was originally going to go with Sandy Bridge, but I went with Ivy Bridge, not out of processor performance but because I liked the z77 motherboard features more.

As for the RAM, 1600Mhz is only a few quid more, but is it worth it? I mean, in gaming terms, the difference between 1333 mhz and 2133 mhz is about 2 FPS, so it doesn't really seem necessary.

In terms of power, I think I'll upgrade that when I need to. For now, it should be fine..

And finally, I found another CPU cooler that was quieter, smaller, cheaper and performed better than the noctua. So that's sorted. But you couldn't know that unless you read through the whole thread.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked