Skyrim - What would you change/add?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Having more variations of armor would be cool.

I know some armors, mostly fur armor, have several variations of them, but more would be cool.

Let's see here...I have a bit of a laundry list that mods have largely satisfied. Yay,PC gaming!

-Craftable arrows. It seems so small,but it makes a major difference. It makes the Smithing skill relevant to archers. And a reason to shoot down hawks outside of Cure Disease potions.

-"De-Crafting". Melting down old outdated equipment to raw materials...With diminishing returns,of course. Since I've noticed that ore veins don't replenish,you'll find yourself later on wondering just how the hell to make equipment. Besides,where the HELL do you find Moonstone!? Summerset Isles? That god's corpse we call a moon?

-Daedric Artifact Buffing. Making Daedric artifacts actually worth the effort,and at the same time making the quests to get them (even more) Hellish. These items are the essence of a GOD GIVEN FORM. Why the HELL would they be so ineffectual? Volendrung only gets a few enchanted hits in vanilla. Why isn't it infinite? It's Malacath's blessed hamer. Azura's/Black Star should also have a capacity of multiple souls;one soul per arm,and one for the center. This is sort of where "Make the quests absolute Hell" comes in. A reusable Black Soul Gem with such a huge capacity? Make it Hell.

-POLEARMS. SWEET JESUS,POLEARMS. They were in Morrowind. Why not in later games?

-Crossbows. Yes,Dawnguard has them. Why weren't they vanilla? They existed in Morrowind.

-Nameable potions. Not vanilla,haven't found a mod for it. And it was in both Morrowind AND Oblivion. Did the engine change so radically to make it impossible to name potions? Evidently not,since you can name enchanted kit. Bad Bethesda! Stop being lazy!

-Varried dragons. I mean,seriously. There's no excuse. Also,make them tougher. I saw a Mudcrab go toe to toe with a dragon once. The dragon lost.

Custom clothing, like Morrowind. Being able to put armor on over certain robes and clothes.

SajuukKhar:
[quote="denseWorm" post="9.384635.15268157"]
Lol it's not like I'm saying they should click on the top corner of a giant size box around Skyrim and expand it to two times it's size. Obviously I would expect that the content would 'fill in the gaps', as such.
Why would they let a random guy who just killed crap help run the Empire?

You did nothing beyond swing a sword, the Elder Counsel literally has zero reason, or justification, for making you involved in their affairs at all.

If anything they would try to distance you as much as possible because with your reputation you could sway public opinion against them.

Random guy? This 'random guy' was entrusted with the Amulet of Kings by Urial Septem himself right before he died. the 'random guy' broke the siege of Kvatch and saved Martin, the last Septem. This 'random guy' infiltrated the Mythic Dawn itself and stole the Mysterium Xerxes. This 'random guy' saved Bruma and by extension the entire Empire from ruin and then went on to kick Mancar Cameron in the dick in his own realm.

People have been inducted into office for less.

Anyway, with what you say about the Council being afraid of you, all the more reason to keep you close in the council.

Besides, why are we even disusing the possibilities of such a thing happening lore wise? Was it intend for people to post what they wanted changed in Skyrim just so it could be picked at?

I have two things i want to see put in game: Blocking while dual welding and and add an Unarmed skill.

for the love the divines, not being able to reduce damage taken in any way what so ever while dual welding makes it a useless skill.

would it be as good as a shield, no. would it be as good as a two-hander or a single one hander, of corse not. should it be a real thing: HELL YEAH IT SHOULD! if anything, having two wepons in hand should allow me to not only block but parry a badly telegraphed attack but who am i kidding, that may be too much to ask.

Unarmed (IMO) has some of the coolest kill animations in the entire game. my Orcish Two-Weapon fighter, as a level nothing n00blet, picked up an officer in the imperial army and suplexed her. To death. With my bare hands.

It is a crime to let such badassery go untapped. I should be able to uppercut guards, two piece bandits, and invent a dragon punch that makes Street Figher look like Shaq Fu.

I am Dovakiin, dragon blood courses though my veins. why should i be limited to fighting like these milk drinking human bloods?

I pretty much love Skyrim, but the things the next game or the next few pieces of DLC NEED to add are.

1. Give merchants infinite gold,the merchants in Skyrim have barely enough gold for like ONE of my high value items, so I sell it to them then have to go somewhere else to offload the other five items I have, it's absolutely pointless to limit merchants like that, at the very least give them around twenty grand. Even if that doesn't happen put in a merchant somewhere, akin to the mudcrab in Morrowind, that has buttloads of cash.

2. Bring back Umbra, I always thought that the whole ongoing thing between Morrowind and Oblivion with that magic sword was going to continue through the series, but alas I've spent hundreds of hours in Skyrim and have yet to find even a mention of Umbra.

3. More weapons and armors. Skyrim is woefully lacking in this department, it's always like the same three things that are really good in these games, glass, ebony, daedric, and dragon now I guess, but I'd like to see new sets that are more diverse and more unique.

a couple of things come to mind,

An alternative quest to complete the thieves guild, like the 'bring down the dark brotherhood' quest.
I don't like the thieves guild, so that quest chain's always left undone.

the other thing would be some kind of proper enemy yielding system when dealing with bandits etc - eg. let them live but have access to a random portion of their equipment.
it's rather ruthless that we're pretty much forced to kill them, even when they're on their knees begging for mercy (as they'll just stand up after a few seconds and attack you).

llubtoille:
a couple of things come to mind,

An alternative quest to complete the thieves guild, like the 'bring down the dark brotherhood' quest.
I don't like the thieves guild, so that quest chain's always left undone.

the other thing would be some kind of proper enemy yielding system when dealing with bandits etc - eg. let them live but have access to a random portion of their equipment.
it's pretty ruthless that we're pretty much forced to kill them, even when they're on their knees begging for mercy (as they'll just stand up after a few seconds and attack you).

You say ruthless, but I'm pretty sure you actually mean hilarious.

Hm. More opportunities to kill people like Grelod the Kind, where you can just straight up behead her in public and everyone's reaction is basically just 'Yaaay, the bitch is dead!'

SajuukKhar:
Also there are random events were 4 imperial soldiers and 4 stormcloak soldiers fight each other in the wilderness, its supposed to be scouting parties doing skirmishes.

Never even seen that happen once in my game, though it is probably possible. 4 men against 4 men every now and then is hardly a war, however. Scouting parties are all well and good, but there are camps, forts and likely some form of choke point all over Skyrim. Having some major fields of battle that happen without the Dovahkiin having to start them would be interesting, and fun to stumble into. As I said, leave the cities and such to the main questline with the Dovahkiin, but have the war be more than words and scouts.

Let me create spells and I may play Skyrim again. I played to platinum and never looked back. It's just too shallow and dumbed down...

jackinmydaniels:
2. Bring back Umbra, I always thought that the whole ongoing thing between Morrowind and Oblivion with that magic sword was going to continue through the series, but alas I've spent hundreds of hours in Skyrim and have yet to find even a mention of Umbra.

Umbra was completely destroyed in the two books they wrote that take place between Oblivion and skyrim.

Though, given the nature of Daedra, the term "destroyed" doesn't mean much.

Riddle78:
-Craftable arrows. It seems so small,but it makes a major difference. It makes the Smithing skill relevant to archers. And a reason to shoot down hawks outside of Cure Disease potions.

-Varried dragons. I mean,seriously. There's no excuse. Also,make them tougher. I saw a Mudcrab go toe to toe with a dragon once. The dragon lost.

both are in dawnguard.

Riddle78:
-POLEARMS. SWEET JESUS,POLEARMS. They were in Morrowind. Why not in later games?

-Crossbows. Yes,Dawnguard has them. Why weren't they vanilla? They existed in Morrowind.

Because EVERYONE HATED THEM IN MORROWIND.

Seriously has everyone forgotten how much people hated those weapons in Morrowind, and prayed that Bethesda would remove them in the next game to make the remaining weapons more diverse?

the forums used to be flooded with topics such as "why are these in the game", "these weapons are useless", "can we get more diverse weapons?"

That is why Bethesda gave sword bonus crit damage, axes bleed effects, and maces armor penetration effects... because they didn't have to spend time making the other weapons... weapons that no one liked.

You should be able to kill the enemy leaders and speed up the conflict, but they should be surrounded by tough bodyguards with high-quality weapons and armor. You can waltz right into the enemy fortress in FO:NV and assassinate the leader, why not in Skyrim? Hell, almost everyone in FO:NV could be killed. That game did a great job at giving you the freedom to eliminate anyone you want. You would get a notification that you've failed Quest X, but you could still continue on with the story and complete the game any way you want. Honestly, if I want to go on a murder spree and kill everyone indiscriminately, why should the game get in my way? If I killed a shopkeeper or questgiver, too fucking bad for me, guess I shouldn't have murdered people for no reason. I'm getting so sick getting chased around by invincible people after starting a massacre or being unable to kill a witness to eliminate my bounty because my witness is apparently ubercharged or something. They screwed up on the whole invincible NPC issue.

And make dragons 100% tougher! It's really saying something when I leave Shadowmere to take on a dragon and win while I'm off picking herbs. Seriously, I just did that today. I let Shadowmere handle a dragon while I picked flowers and caught butterflies.

Karelwolfpup:

The Scotsman72:

Oh I don't know about that. I found it pretty ammusing when a dragon came down out of no where and slaughtered everyone while I was trying to do one of the cival war fort captures.

Oh sure, that's fun the first time it happens, and if I've not just spent that last three hours taking EVERYTHING of even remote value from whatever placed I've explored and/or raided it makes for a nice surprise. The first few times. But then it happens just after you got a surprise visit not two minutes ago. Or it happens in that village you spent the last half hour dragging your overencumbered arse to and the flying git kills the people you were going to that village to specifically to sell off the various bits of guff you were carrying to.
Then it gets annoying. Awesome as the combat music may be when they appear (that track is guaranteed to get me pumped for bloodletting XDD) it gets tiring murdering the winged idiots in the same fashion again and again.

Aye, dragons do get frustratingly boring after a while, although if one catches me in the middle of town or in a village and I don't want anyone to die from it, I usualy just make the bastard disappear via console commands. Also, is it really necissary to loot EVERYTHING? This game had a similar problem to oblivion and other fallout games where you'd end up being the richest man on earth after just a few hours of playing without even trying to loot anything. High quality gear and high paying jobs are everywhere and it's really hard to miss them.

DVS BSTrD:
Besides ACTUAL combat controls, a raid on the Summerset Isles.
THE POINTY EARS SHALL KNOW THE MIGHT OF TALOS!

Also an option where you can kill both Ulfric and the general and become king of Skyrim yourself

You can assign hot-keys to what you have in your menu by pressing a hot-key while browsing it. Yes, my mind was blown too.

Individual weapons that acquire 'reputation' and can, ultimately, be named. I'm still using the first Skyforge Steel sword I got, and although I've upgraded it, it would be a nice touch for weapons to acquire names and reputation.

It doesn't even need to do added damage, just a name.

Elmoth:

Casual Shinji:

The other change would be making the gameworld feel more alive. I can't really put my finger on it, but the land of Skyrim felt rather lifeless as opposed to games like Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Skyrim feels less alive than Fallout 3?

In both Fallout 3 and New Vegas people and factions seemed way more up to date about what was going on in the world - with what you had accomplished, either positive or negative, and what the state of affairs was of the major players in the area.

In Skyrim everyone just seems to drift past eachother without any notice of what I (the main character) had achieved, and how the stakes were set. A perfect example is me being the boss of the Dark Brotherhood, yet still getting treated like a newbie by the Thieves Guild, despite both factions being in close cahoots with eachother.

Eventhough visually the world of Skyrim may look more alive than the Capital wastelands and New Vegas, the inhabitants come across as lifeless cardboard cutouts by comparison.

SajuukKhar:
Reviews scores are only meaningless to you because they take you away from the fantasy world you live in and force you to deal wit the truth of how bad Obsidian is at game making.

In Obsidian's defence, they're often rushed by their publishers to get their games out of the door. They so often have the right idea but it seems that they're just not allowed to finish them properly. Damn shame really.

Cowabungaa:

In Obsidian's defence, they're often rushed by their publishers to get their games out of the door. They so often have the right idea but it seems that they're just not allowed to finish them properly. Damn shame really.

That's really not a viable defense though.

If Obsidian is so ignorant of their own situation to not be able to guess that they will be rushed, as they have for ALL their past games, then they are idiots. They should KNOW by now they are going to get rushed, as they ALWAYS have, and make games whose systems are actually completable in that time frame, instead of making game where 90% of it is half-finished because they apparently couldn't figure out they wouldn't be given a normal development cycle, even though they NEVER have been given one before.

Obsidian is either incredibly naive to think that they, a company whose sole existence is making quick turnout sequels to other peoples games, wont be rushed, or just plain dumb as to not see their own situation.

Like if ONE Obsidian game was bad, because they had no way of knowing they would be rushed, then you would have a point, but they are ALWAYS rushed, ALWAYS, and they should be smart enough to know that by now, and plan their games accordingly.

Obsidian is like a nerdy kid who always does his homework in one spot at school despite knowing that when he does his homework there the school bully is going to be able to take it from it, and will. Like the first time, I would feel bad for him, becuase he ahd no way of knowing, but now they are DELIBERATELY doing there homework there, despite knowing the consequences of doing so.

Obsidian's worst enemy isn't being rushed, because MANY game companies have been able to turn out games that worked better then their games despite being rushed, its themselves. They have no one to blame but themselves at this point because they should know their own situation.

Obsidian's games would probably be 10X better if they cut out half of it, and worked on making the half that remained work. Making a game whose content consists of 5 cakes is better then making a game whose content consists of 50 turds.

They have no sense of realistic goals, and ambition means nothing if not tempered by reality.

SajuukKhar:
le snip

Maybe, but my gut tells me that there's a lot of behind-the-screens business bullshit that affects their situation. It's typically the kind of thing I'd like to talk about with the peeps at Obisidian. Who knows what's going on.

But I wonder how they'll do with Wasteland 2. It's one of the few RPG's that they're making without the backing of a big publisher. Hopefully we'll see all that talent and ambition come to fruition. At least bugs can be fixed, patches can be made. At least they know what it takes to make a good RPG.

Cowabungaa:
But I wonder how they'll do with Wasteland 2. It's one of the few RPG's that they're making without the backing of a big publisher. Hopefully we'll see all that talent and ambition come to fruition.

We can only hope..... though I expect nothing beyond CTDs every 30 minutes, half the quests to be broken, and enemies to run back and forth randomly because of broken AI.

Ohh yes and Obsidian's specialty, a end boss that can be persuaded to give up on his life's goals with a series of 3 high level speech challenges despite the fact he has literally spent his ENTIRE life on it and showed absolutely no remorse or misgivings about his actions beforehand.

I actually always want to see Obsidian design the final fight with Alduin at the end of Skyrim, just to see what sort of speech challenge they would make to make Alduin ride off into the sunset as a reformed good-guy.

I'm really sick of people constantly saying "Oh why weren't spears in the original Skyrim?" "Oh why wasn't mounted combat in the original Skyrim?" "Oh why is there so little dragon variety!" "Oh why weren't crossbows in the original Skyrim? They were in Morrowind!"

These particular people don't seem to understand that when a game's graphics are more advanced, creating content for it takes longer. Making stuff for Morrowind would've been far easier given its lower graphics quality. Skyrim's technology is far better. Building content for it takes longer. This applies to EVERY game, not just Skyrim. You need examples? Look at every single sequel that has a new engine or has had its graphics updated drastically. The better the graphics, the lesser the quantity.

And for those wanting bigger consequences in the game, honestly we can dream, but at the end of the day making bigger consequences in an already MASSIVE game would take forever.

OT: Marriage in Skyrim is a little shallow. The ability to disable quests in the quest logs (so that you don't have 20 different 'find the item' quests clogging up your miscellaneous section) would be cool. Plus it would be nice if I could set what stuff I want my companions to use/wear, but I believe a mod has already done this.

SajuukKhar:
We can only hope..... though I expect nothing beyond CTDs every 30 minutes, half the quests to be broken, and enemies to run back and forth randomly because of broken AI.

But this time they won't be rushed thanks to Wasteland 2 being a crowd-funded game. No pressure from big executives, no looming deadlines they have to make for the end of the fiscal year or something like that. They can really focus on the game for once.

Ohh yes and Obsidian's specialty, a end boss that can be persuaded to give up on his life's goals with a series of 3 high level speech challenges despite the fact he has literally spent his ENTIRE life on it and showed absolutely no remorse or misgivings about his actions beforehand.

I actually always want to see Obsidian design the final fight with Alduin at the end of Skyrim, just to see what sort of speech challenge they would make to make Alduin ride off into the sunset as a reformed good-guy.

It's funny that you mention it like that. So many RPG fans complain about RPG's being too linear these days. Here Obsidian comes along, actually gives you multiple choices on how you want to handle it and there are still people that complain about it. Goes to show that you can't please everyone.

It's actually one of the things I'd change about Skyrim. The entire 91 hours I've played it so far I never really felt like I was playing an actual roleplaying game. Yeah I can pick my own combat style and maybe choose to intimidate or persuade a minor NPC on rare occasions, but other than that there isn't much choice and consequence going on. It doesn't feel very interactive and it's why, as an RPG, I really prefer New Vegas over Skyrim.

I would completly re-do the Civil war questline from the battle of Whiterun onwards. Up to there, it felt good, but during the fight, my opinion of it started on a downward spiral. they should have at least added some extra fighting outside the city, it felt like a fight of 30 Imperial guards vs 30 Stormcloaks.

Also, make the civil war not open up until after its revealed that you are the dragonborn to jarl Balguurff. It would seem like both sides would have a reason to say "Hey, publicly announcing that the dragonborn has taken up our cause is a good thing."

The Stormcloaks could claim that Talos himself has interviened by sending one of his own kin to Skyrim, while the Imperials could claim that a descendant of the Septim Emperors (dragonborn themselves) has taken up their standard. For both sides, a powerful piece of propaganda. Also it would kind of make sense to justify why you get special treatment in their armies, as to Ulfric your just some dude who was going to be executed with him and to Tullius, you just an escaped convict.

Also, i know this is a cardinal sin to suggest, but have the Imperials and Rebels level up with you. Add some new classes of enemies to add variety to them. I mean, the legion is supposed to be based of the Roman legions, so why not add a legionaire and preatorean unit to their make up who wear heavy armor sets? Also, where are their battlemages? And for the stormcloaks why not a berserker enemy or wolf handler?

Cowabungaa:

It's funny that you mention it like that. So many RPG fans complain about RPG's being too linear these days. Here Obsidian comes along, actually gives you multiple choices on how you want to handle it and there are still people that complain about it. Goes to show that you can't please everyone.

It's actually one of the things I'd change about Skyrim. The entire 91 hours I've played it so far I never really felt like I was playing an actual roleplaying game. Yeah I can pick my own combat style and maybe choose to intimidate or persuade a minor NPC on rare occasions, but other than that there isn't much choice and consequence going on. It doesn't feel very interactive and it's why, as an RPG, I really prefer New Vegas over Skyrim.

I have no problem with choices, and multiple options to complete quests... as long as they make sense. Unfortunately what Obsidian does 90% of the time.. doesn't.

Obsidian makes games were you can talk down ANYONE, no matter how religiously devoted to the cause they were before. It's dumb, idiotic, and only servers to bankrupt their characters depth by making them appear extremely weak willed and not believing in anything at all.

Take for example Esbern or Delphine in Skyrim, you can't talk them down from wanting to kill Parthy, and a lot of people complained about it, but you know what? YOU SHOULDN'T be able to talk them down.

However in Fallout New Vegas you can talk down both Oliver and Lanius, in what was one of the most idiotic series of speech checks I have ever seen.

If Skyrim were an Obsidian game you would, and it would only serve to make the characters crap, well more crap.

Xdeser2:
snip

1. You literally cannot start the battle of Whiterun before finding out you are Dragonborn, attempting to do so makes Balgruff tell you do to the dragon rising quest, the quest were you find out you are Dragonborn, and he refuses to speak to you before you do. 90% of the civil war cannot be done until after you find out you are Dragonborn.

2. The rebel and legion soldiers do level up with you, all the way to level 50. At level 50 they have over 400hp.

Wasteland 2 is an InXile game. They just brought Avellone on board to help out. The (hopefully) upcoming Obsidian kickstarter will be the true test to see what they can come up with without the shitty publishers interference. And I'm not just talking about time restraints. Publishers make you change the whole design of the games to try and appeal everybody and their grandmothers.

Don't worry Khar, you won't like either game because they wont have AWESOME ACTION COMBAT.

Anthraxus:
Wasteland 2 is an InXile game. They just brought Avellone on board to help out. The (hopefully) upcoming Obsidian kickstarter will be the true test to see what they can come up with without the shitty publishers interference.

Don't worry Khar, you won't like either game because they wont have AWESOME ACTION COMBAT.

So they are going to have combat based around having the computer fight itself while I can get up from my computer and make toast and still win the fight because so much of it is handled by the computer?

That or combat based around waiting for painfully slow AI make combat decisions between turns?

Such great game design there. because games aren't meant to be played... na, they are meant to be watched, your not supposed to actually do it for yourself or anything, its all supposed to be done by the computer.

skyrim's combat is dull, but at least I can get it over with quickly and explore the world, Fallout's turn based gameplay is so slow I would rather watch paint dry, if only becuase paint dries faster.

SajuukKhar:

Anthraxus:
Wasteland 2 is an InXile game. They just brought Avellone on board to help out. The (hopefully) upcoming Obsidian kickstarter will be the true test to see what they can come up with without the shitty publishers interference.

So they are going to have combat based around having the computer fight itself while I can get up from my computer and make toast and still win the fight because so much of it is handled by the computer?

Such great game design there.

Party based tactical combat where there's alot more decisions to make, options to use and and thought involved, rather that mashing the same buttan over and over again like a fucking retard.

You know, a real RPG ?

Anthraxus:
] Party based tactical combat where there's alot more decisions to make, options to use and and thought involved, rather that mashing the same buttan over and over again like a fucking retard.

You know, a real RPG ?

Yes "decisions".

Do I go here and let the computer make up uncontrollable dicerolls, that determine if I win or lose, and that are based around luck instead of skill.

or

Do I go there and let the computer make uncontrollable dicerolls, that determine if I win or lose, and that are based around luck instead of skill.

SO MANY OPTIONS, SUCH GOOD GAMEPLAY, GOTTA LOVE THOSE GAMES WERE THE COMPUTER DOES 99% OF THE COMBAT FOR YOU!!!!!

/sarcasm.
Also, the only way combat in Skyrim is a button masher is if you choose to make it so, you can play tactically using stealth, jumping on rocks to get higher ground, magic, blocking, and other things to make it not a "run up and spam attack button" game.

Skyrim's combat is what you make of it.

I spend more time blocking in combat, and using shield bash as a retaliate while the enemy is staggered, then just plain attacking.

SajuukKhar:

Anthraxus:
] Party based tactical combat where there's alot more decisions to make, options to use and and thought involved, rather that mashing the same buttan over and over again like a fucking retard.

You know, a real RPG ?

Yes "decisions".

Do I go here and let the computer make up uncontrollable dicerolls, that determine if I win or lose, and that are based around luck instead of skill.

or

Do I go there and let the computer make uncontrollable dicerolls, that determine if I win or lose, and that are based around luck instead of skill.

SO MANY OPTIONS, SUCH GOOD GAMEPLAY

/sarcasm.

If your such a fan of action combat in 'rpgs', why in the hell would you like Bethesda's games then ? Their gameplay sucks.

1: You completly got me there, dont know what I was thinking :/
however I will always throw behind the old "why dont they at least recognize who you are" argumen

2: I think I phrased the wrong, what I meant was more enemy types as you leveled up, as well in terms of their equipment.

SajuukKhar:

Cowabungaa:

[quote="Xdeser2" post="9.384635.15271689"]snip

1. You literally cannot start the battle of Whiterun before finding out you are Dragonborn, attempting to do so makes Balgruff tell you do to the dragon rising quest, the quest were you find out you are Dragonborn, and he refuses to speak to you before you do. 90% of the civil war cannot be done until after you find out you are Dragonborn.

2. The rebel and legion soldiers do level up with you, all the way to level 50. At level 50 they have over 400hp.

1: You completly got me there, dont know what I was thinking :/
however I will always throw in behind the old "why dont they at least recognize who you are" argument

2: I think I phrased that the wrong way, what I meant was more enemy types as you leveled up, as well in terms of their equipment.

EDIT: I don't know why it double posted like that...

Anthraxus:
If your such a fan of action combat in 'rpgs', why in the hell would you like Bethesda's games then ? Their gameplay sucks.

I like Bethesda's games because I can choose how easy/hard the game is.

-I can walk around with 80% damage and magicka resistance, and be a unstoppable uber warrior with a sword that 1 hit kills everything because I exploited smithing to make it have like 50000 damage.
-I can walk around with a measly 100 armor rating forcing me to have to have to block pretty much every attack or I will die instantly, and have a sword that does like 20 damage, which makes battles long wars of attrition.
-I can shotgun chug potions giving myself a laundry list of magical effects.
-I can choose to NEVER use potions at all, or place a 10 second cooldown on potions before I use one again.
-I can run in and spam the attack button killing everything in my path with a breeze.
-I can play a tactically, getting high ground to get off an arrow or two before the enemy finds me at which point I switch to a sword and board that relies on blocking and using shield bash retaliations to stagger the enemy while I get a swing in before repeating.

I can do whatever I want, I can make the game as easy or hard as I want, I can make the game as button mashy or as tactical as I desire. I'm not FORCED to do anything, but I can choose do play any way I desire.

Very few games offer that level of freedom, they normally force you to have to play tactically, or play have a high speech skill to get anywhere, in Elder scrolls I can choose how I play, and have fun because of it.

Elder scrolls is a game whose combat is as tactical as you, the player, chooses to make, unlike in many games were developers FORCE a specific level of required tactics and tell you "play by our rules or lose".

Games should be hard because the player chooses to make it hard, not because the game forces itself to be difficult.
90% of the complaints about Elder scrolls combat come down do "I chose to make my character a uber badass and now it's easy" and my only response to it is "well don't"

-You think shotgunning potions makes it to easy? then don't do it
-You think having a armor rating above or below a certain number makes it to hard? then don't make your armor go above or below that
-you think combat is just rushing in and spamming the attack button? they play more tactically using other methods then just running in and spamming the attack button.

Skyrim's combat is only as good or bad as you, the player, chooses to make it. You don't want it to suck? then stop playing it in such a way that it does suck.

"-I can play it tactically"

And all of that doesn't make the shitty gameplay any better anyway.

The Scotsman72:
Aye, dragons do get frustratingly boring after a while, although if one catches me in the middle of town or in a village and I don't want anyone to die from it, I usualy just make the bastard disappear via console commands. Also, is it really necissary to loot EVERYTHING? This game had a similar problem to oblivion and other fallout games where you'd end up being the richest man on earth after just a few hours of playing without even trying to loot anything. High quality gear and high paying jobs are everywhere and it's really hard to miss them.

look... i know I have a problem, alright? I just... *shivers in corner* I just have to take everything that's not nailed down... *rocks away in corner* I-I-I can't h-help myself!

LOL ever since Fallout3 I take anything of even remote value then hoard/sell off that crap. Really had to hoard in New Vegas to afford those implants and weapon mods.
Also, I haz PS3 version, so no swanky console commands for me :P XDD

but seriously, I think the reason I'm such a kleptomaniac in these games is just because I'm never sure what I may need or what may be of use. And also because... well... because I just CAN do it, I suppose. Also, hunting for books, still missing the third book in "The Argonain Account" series and I want to know how that story developed. Haven't even read the last book yet because I don;t know what happened between it and the 2nd book XDD
I know, I'm proly crazy. But screw it, I'm THane of three seperate holds, Harbinger of the Companions and a werewolf who keeps stumbling across disembodied voices of Daedras who want me to do things for them. So there's probably a reason I'm nuts XDD

Anthraxus:
"-I can play it tactically"

And all of that doesn't make the shitty gameplay any better anyway.

Except you can play tactically.... it really isn't that hard, you just have to do it yourself, the game doesn't force you to do it.

And as I said before, the gameplay is only shitty if you chose to make it so, Skyrim can literally be played in ANY WAY YOU DESIRE. the only way to have shitty gameplay is to make the gameplay shitty by playing shitty.

However I doubt you will be able to just play tactically in a situation when you aren't forced to. You seem utterly unable to create fun for yourself and instead seem to need playstyles forced down your throat to be able to ever see that they are there, or how to accomplish them.
So go have fun with your games where
-All your character actions only really affect what slight bonuses are applied to the random dice-roll the computer pulls out of its ass to determine if you, or I should say it, wins or not
-Games were your, the player of a game that's meant to be played by YOU not the ocmputer, skill means nothing and it based purely on getting a lucky roll
-Games were despite all your craving for character customization 90% of what your character does is controlled by the computer and not you.
-Games whose sole deign is based around limitations of technology that stopped existing over a decade ago
-Games whose design is based around limiting the number of things you can do as much as possible by throwing in entirely arbitrary difficulty zones, and stat checks.
On the other hand I'm going to be having fun playing a game, that I can make as easy or hard as I want, for myself, and not letting a computer play the game for me, and where I actually get to play the majority of it, and were there are no idiotic level restricts that only exist to force me to have to go out and grind enemies to proceed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked