RPGs with Dinosaurs?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Is there a RPG with the main bad guys being Dinosaurs, and not just the standard goblins/moblins/doblins/floblins/etclins[1]?

Because I watched a short review of Two Worlds II, in which they had a cameo of a dinosaur.
It struck me as the best idea ever! I mean Turok, but RPG and good[2]!

Any contesters?

Also, if it doesn't exit/you haven't heard of it, why doesn't it exist?

[1] Bloblins/kloblins/knoblins/throblins/problims (hah)/woblins/cobblins/yoblins/quoblins/xoblins
[2] Any offence taken is purely in your lack of taste

Do Dragons count? There's a bunch of those.
I dunno, not enough games have Dinosaurs in them quite frankly.

Chrono Trigger has a non-central-but-definitely-dinosaur villain in the ancient BC era, complete with minions and the super-beast, the Black Tyrano.

I dunno, is monster hunter an RPG? I've not played it, but I think it has dinosaurs in it. Then again, I only know about it from Yahtzee's review.

hazabaza1:

Your avatar is my response, frankly.
Both to dragons and that there aren't enough Dino games.

FalloutJack:
Chrono Trigger has a non-central-but-definitely-dinosaur villain in the ancient BC era, complete with minions and the super-beast, the Black Tyrano.

Yeah, that's about how far I got in Chrono Trigger.
But I'm looking for something not turnbased...
And with MORE DINOSAURS!

DINOSAUUUUUURS

TheNamlessGuy:
problims (hah)

I've killed 99 problims but, bitch, I'm still level 1.

OT: well, Morrowind/Oblivion have some Dremora who look dinasoaur-y. They aren't the big bad, but still, they exist.

TheNamlessGuy:
why doesn't it exist?

Because the game creators are still too busy jerking off over the LotR/D&D (depending on what they found first) to make something that's not set in medieval-ish Europe/England with elves and dwarves sprinkled there. Also, because there aren't too many games with dinosaurs. Moreover, there aren't many (if any) PnP RPGs with them.

TheNamlessGuy:

hazabaza1:

Your avatar is my response, frankly.
Both to dragons and that there aren't enough Dino games.

FalloutJack:

Yeah, that's about how far I got in Chrono Trigger.
But I'm looking for something not turnbased...
And with MORE DINOSAURS!

DINOSAUUUUUURS

Chrono Trigger uses the ATB system, not turn-based...

Still, I can't think of really ANY game whose arch-nemesis in it is an unruly dinosaur ruling dinosaurs.

Wait, do Ridley and Kraid count? Metroid's not an RPG, though...

FalloutJack:
Chrono Trigger uses the ATB system, not turn-based...

Still, I can't think of really ANY game whose arch-nemesis in it is an unruly dinosaur ruling dinosaurs.

Wait, do Ridley and Kraid count? Metroid's not an RPG, though...

It felt very turn based when I played...

And that's balls.
Stupid game designers, not making awesome games where you can

slay velociraptors with my mighty broadsword of +10 to fire-y deathness!

TheNamlessGuy:
-Oh?-

Well, if you just stand around, your enemy will very happily rip you to shreds. Certainly LAVOS won't be caught waiting.

Fractral:
I dunno, is monster hunter an RPG? I've not played it, but I think it has dinosaurs in it. Then again, I only know about it from Yahtzee's review.

It's an action role-playing game well I guess it's similar. While it does look and feel like a Dinosaur hunting game (you hunt them and make armours and weapons from them) but technically it isn't. Most of the "monster" in the game are class as "Wyvern" and don't ask me what that mean. (They suppose to be dragon like?)

Anyway I don't really know any rpg games with Dinosaur as the main villain but in Guild Wars: Eye of the North, one of the new areas are infested with dinosaur inspire creature like the T-Rex, Raptor and Triceratop.
I guess you had found a potential and original rpg to have Dinosaurs as the villain, well orginiality guaranteed it's good.

Would Monster Hunter count?

A lot of the monsters in that game are dinosaur-esque in appearance and nature.

Secret of evermore is the only one i can think of. It was a great Snes game made by Squaresoft .The entire first world was you ( a boy and his dog ) in prehistoric times . Not turned based but a adventure/rpg game . Never managed to beat the final boss. Does anyone even remember this game ? I never hear people talk about it.

Daystar Clarion:

I'm considering trying it out.
Which one should I start with?

krazykidd:
Secret of evermore is the only one i can think of. It was a great Snes game made by Squaresoft .The entire first world was you ( a boy and his dog ) in prehistoric times . Not turned based but a adventure/rpg game . Never managed to beat the final boss. Does anyone even remember this game ? I never hear people talk about it.

I am planning on buying that at some point (I've had it on my "To Buy" list for a while), but I rarely find it on any sites for cheap enough (most games will cost me more than a full priced new game, whether it's due to shipping or just general over priced-ness).

Also, the Start and Select buttons on my SNES controllers are broken...

TheNamlessGuy:

Daystar Clarion:

I'm considering trying it out.
Which one should I start with?

krazykidd:

I am planning on buying that at some point (I've had it on my "To Buy" list for a while), but I rarely find it on any sites for cheap enough (most games will cost me more than a full priced new game, whether it's due to shipping or just general over priced-ness).

Also, the Start and Select buttons on my SNES controllers are broken...

Well, I've only played the Wii version which is called Monster Hunter Tri :D

Combat is seriously satisfying. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Daystar Clarion:

Combat is seriously satisfying. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Does it have the Wii waggily bullcrap?

Because I don't want to flail my arms around like a madman trying to kill something with 50 bazillion Hp.

TheNamlessGuy:

Daystar Clarion:

Does it have the Wii waggily bullcrap?

Because I don't want to flail my arms around like a madman trying to kill something with 50 bazillion Hp.

Nah man, you can use a classic controller with it perfectly fine.

I prefer the black one personally, because it actually has something to grip.

Daystar Clarion:
-LargeImageSnippity-

...I don't have one of those...
Gamecube controller? Also, why am I not just Googling this...

EDIT: I can't... poopy

TheNamlessGuy:

Daystar Clarion:
-LargeImageSnippity-

...I don't have one of those...
Gamecube controller? Also, why am I not just Googling this...

EDIT: I can't... poopy

Nah, Gamecube controller won't work.

You can buy it bundled with the controller though.

Depends on whether you want to make that investment or not.

Daystar Clarion:

Well, seeing as there seems to be ONE STORE IN THE ENTIRETY OF SWEDEN that still sells that, and it pretty much would cost me the same price as the Skyrim Collector's Edition, I'm gonna go with getting the controller separate...

TheNamlessGuy:

Daystar Clarion:

Well, seeing as there seems to be ONE STORE IN THE ENTIRETY OF SWEDEN that still sells that, and it pretty much would cost me the same price as the Skyrim Collector's Edition, I'm gonna go with getting the controller separate...

That's fine too :D

Here's the wiki, if you feel like you want to learn a bit more about what you're getting yourself into :D

Daystar Clarion:

Here's the wiki, if you feel like you want to learn a bit more about what you're getting yourself into :D

Wait, it has multiplayer?

Bought!

TheNamlessGuy:

Daystar Clarion:

Bought!

Best part about it :D

Hop online, team up with 3 other hunters, and kill giant monsters.

TheNamlessGuy:

Daystar Clarion:

Bought!

Don't do it! It's a trap!

In all honesty I bought it with a controller and everything and it was pretty bad. By far and wide the worst monster hunter game.

Daystar Clarion:
Best part about it :D

Hop online, team up with 3 other hunters, and kill giant monsters.

Fuck yeah!

hazabaza1:

Damn it so true, it seems that dinosaurs have gone extinct a second time in the media where are they all... Wait, scratch that where are they in anything good recently.

Savage Empire. Although technically the main bad guys are insect men, the game is veritably dripping with dinosaurs.

Ghostwise:
Don't do it! It's a trap!

In all honesty I bought it with a controller and everything and it was pretty bad. By far and wide the worst monster hunter game.

...But the other ones were for PSP and I don't have one!

BloatedGuppy:
Savage Empire. Although technically the main bad guys are insect men, the game is veritably dripping with dinosaurs.

The Ultima one, I s'pose?
Because that one you can get for free on GOG.

So thanks! I'll try it out when I can!

TheNamlessGuy:
The Ultima one, I s'pose?
Because that one you can get for free on GOG.

So thanks! I'll try it out when I can!

That's the one.

Beware, it's reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllllllllly old.

BloatedGuppy:
That's the one.

Beware, it's reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllllllllly old.

Eh, If I could take Ultima 4, I can take anything.

I want an RPG where you ARE a dinosaurs!

I'd be like, a friggen T-rex, goin' round chompin' the little dinos, and tryin' to fly or somethin'
(I dunno, I'm not a freakin' bird yet!)

Or be a Stegosaurus, with all the spikes, and I'll be like "come at me bro!" to all the other dinosaurs, then chomp on some prehistoric brocolli.

Cubivore was pretty close, so like that, but more advanced and customisable.
(Hey! Why can't I be purple polka dot raptor with a giant pimp hat!? Whats that realism you talkin' about? Its a vidyagame you chump!)

Seems like there are/were dinosaur mobs in both Everquest and WoW. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some in Dungeons and Dragons Online as well, since it's based on 3.5, which had all sorts of dinosaurs in the Monster Manual. I should know; I once played a ranger with a deinonychus as a mount. Otherwise known as the actual name of the dino that was mis-named "velociraptor" in Jurrassic Park (real velociraptors were the size of a medium dog, not larger than a grown man.)

As for something based entirely around it, though? I'm not sure that exists.

There is, however, an old DOS game called Designasaurus 2 that I always thought seemed like a dino-based RPG, or at least a dino action adventure, but I never could get it working as a kid. The version I had was on a single 3 1/4" floppy, when apparently the game had been programmed for multiple 5" floppies, and it kept asking for a second disk that literally did not exist. The label even said "disk 1/1," meaning it was the only disk.

There's a review on hotu.

Mr. GameBrain:
I want an RPG where you ARE a dinosaurs!

I'd be like, a friggen T-rex, goin' round chompin' the little dinos, and tryin' to fly or somethin'
(I dunno, I'm not a freakin' bird yet!)

Or be a Stegosaurus, with all the spikes, and I'll be like "come at me bro!" to all the other dinosaurs, then chomp on some prehistoric brocolli.

All of my agreement into this statement right here.

Owyn_Merrilin:
As for something based entirely around it, though? I'm not sure that exists.

Dammit...
And I can't really play DOS games, DOSBox never works for me. I barely made it run TES: Arena.

hazabaza1:

I'm still bummed that there will never be another Turok.

There's a severe lack of dinosaur games. Someone should make a survival horror dinosaur game that isn't a total piece of shit like Dino Crisis.

Earthbound has a section with dinosaur enemies. And if you're looking for enemies that aren't the usual RPG stuff, then it's a great game to check out.

Here is an Obsucure one, EVO the Search for Eden. Pretty much you go through different ages with your character being a fish, a lizard, a dinosuar, a mammel (and with the right combo you can become a human) you mixand match parts like fins and jaws to survivie, so its like Spore but way before spore (try SNES Era)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked