How should I play Fallout 3?
Vanilla (As the developers intended it to be played.)
37.7% (43)
37.7% (43)
With only minor modifications, such as weather and lighting mods
38.6% (44)
38.6% (44)
With modifications that add large amounts of content, new locations and guns etc
22.8% (26)
22.8% (26)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: I'm about to play Fallout 3 for the first time, and I'm in a bit of a pickle...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Good evening Escapists[1]

This is my first thread ever! [2]

I'm in a bit of a pickle about how to start playing Fallout 3. Yes, yes, I know I'm a little late to the party and I've probably missed a lot but anyway, I'm going to start playing soon.

A little background information so you can better understand my problem:

I love the Elder Scrolls series, as many of you do, and, like many of you I also enjoy adding mods to the game. Some examples would be mods that add more weapons, more skills to the skill tree, and more places to explore. I also add subtle mods like ones that make the lighting brighter or more customisable, and mods that add/improve the weather and so on.

Normally I've had the games for a while before looking into adding mods, for various reasons.[3] Now that I am about to start Fallout 3, and have a reliable internet connection and the knowledge to use mods and to some extent make them, I'm not sure whether I should continue as I have, or delve straight into adding mods.

The pickle:

Do I start a completely new game straight after installation, no mods, just dive straight in to a vanilla run, or do I add some mods? Then that brings up the question of what type of mods I add... Do I only add minor mods which change the lighting or weather, or do I add mods which create huge amounts of new weapons and places to visit?

My question to you, people of the Escapist, is should I play the game the way the developers intended me to play, or should I add lots of mods, some of which may significantly alter the gameplay? Or should I only add mods that add content, and don't really change the way the game pans out, such as mods which alter the lighting, add more variety of weapons, and make previously inaccessible buildings accessible? Is there any significance to doing a vanilla run through of Fallout 3?

Other unimportant stuff:

I know that this is a long post for such a simple question, but it was my first thread and, well, start as you mean to go on I suppose... Also inb4 Daystar's the first poster...

[1] That doesn't sound right... Escapees? Escapologists? Escapish? I like Escapish, makes us sound like we're the population of a country.
[2] If you care about why, it's because I've never needed one before, usually what I want to make a topic about has already been made and I see no point in making duplicate threads.
[3] :
Skyrim because I had it since launch day, so there weren't many major mods for a while.

Oblivion and Morrowind because I had them for a while and had a rather... Unreliable... Internet connection.

Don't add mods, experience the game first before tweaking it

I would suggest doing a quick runthrough of the game first, (as in, don't chase down every sidequest out there, do the main story to get the gist of the game (that'll take you like what..6 hours?)) then figure out what you do and don't like by those 6ish hours or whatever, and you can figure out what mods you'd like and don't like, and then just in case you can add even more to that.

(there are a plethora of mods to bethesda games, as i'm sure you know, they are what basically sells me on their games.)

gmaverick019:
I would suggest doing a quick runthrough of the game first, (as in, don't chase down every sidequest out there, do the main story to get the gist of the game (that'll take you like what..6 hours?)) then figure out what you do and don't like by those 6ish hours or whatever, and you can figure out what mods you'd like and don't like, and then just in case you can add even more to that.

(there are a plethora of mods to bethesda games, as i'm sure you know, they are what basically sells me on their games.)

This sounds like a good idea, 6 hours isn't too long, I could probably get that done tomorrow, if the Mann vs Machine update for TF2 wasn't coming out...

Run it for a bit without mods at first, and let the atmosphere set a bit for you. It's what I usually do. Also, while tastes differ, I usually prefer more simple, cosmetic modifications that only change a few things. Like maybe a more in-depth weapon system, new races, new locations or some graphic tweaks.

Others go full hog and... I unno, get full Anime kawaii-overhauls of the game or some other complete reskin or conversion. Sure, that works to, but I'd suggest you get a good taste of the proper atmosphere first before you dive in with megaprojects like that.

Palfreyfish:

gmaverick019:

This sounds like a good idea, 6 hours isn't too long, I could probably get that done tomorrow, if the Mann vs Machine update for TF2 wasn't coming out...

i'm not 100% sure on that, but i swore i remember speed runners beating it in like 2 hours or so? so i'm sure 6-7 hours on the main quest wouldn't be too harsh of a guesstimate for you. plus, if your like me, you don't do the exact build you like the first time, so i'm sure the second time you'll be able to build a much better character to your style of play after you get comfortable with the game, and you can really enjoy it to the max with how many mods you'll have going... (aim for 100 mods! the more the merrier:) )

gmaverick019:

Palfreyfish:

gmaverick019:

i'm not 100% sure on that, but i swore i remember speed runners beating it in like 2 hours or so? so i'm sure 6-7 hours on the main quest wouldn't be too harsh of a guesstimate for you. plus, if your like me, you don't do the exact build you like the first time, so i'm sure the second time you'll be able to build a much better character to your style of play after you get comfortable with the game, and you can really enjoy it to the max with how many mods you'll have going... (aim for 100 mods! the more the merrier:) )

Excellent, and yeah, on my second playthrough the build is more refined, whereas the first is a bit of everything. And on the subject of mods, I'm like you, add a shedload and see where it takes me :D

Muspelheim:
Run it for a bit without mods at first, and let the atmosphere set a bit for you. It's what I usually do. Also, while tastes differ, I usually prefer more simple, cosmetic modifications that only change a few things. Like maybe a more in-depth weapon system, new races, new locations or some graphic tweaks.

Others go full hog and... I unno, get full Anime kawaii-overhauls of the game or some other complete reskin or conversion. Sure, that works to, but I'd suggest you get a good taste of the proper atmosphere first before you dive in with megaprojects like that.

Oh dear god that sounds absolutely horrible. Kawaii nuclear wastes seem like a terrible idea. I shan't be doing anything too outlandish... [1]

[1] Except maybe try and find a falcon punch mod like the one in Skyrim because that shit's hilarious when you've finished the main quest

just get the F.O.O.K , look it up on google should come up. It will overhaul your game and make it much more fun and not ruin anything for you. Also its one big mod so you dont need to spend time looking for a whole bunch of others. Just make sure you read the readme as you may need the script extender to download as well.

I'd probably play the vanilla game first to experience it the way it was meant to be experienced.

Then I'd mod it like crazy. That way it'll feel like a much different game, and I get double the playtime value out of my money - or maybe even more than double if there are a lot of interesting looking mods.

That's how I played Fallout: New Vegas, and according to Steam I've put close to 300 hours into it now since release. That's a pretty good value considering how little I paid for it.

kingthrall:
just get the F.O.O.K , look it up on google should come up. It will overhaul your game and make it much more fun and not ruin anything for you. Also its one big mod so you dont need to spend time looking for a whole bunch of others. Just make sure you read the readme as you may need the script extender to download as well.

Aside from new guns and followers, what does F.O.O.K add? The page on FO3nexus wasn't particularly clear...

Palfreyfish:

hopefully you get adventures involving stuff like this :)

off topic: saw your falcon punch comment, i am gonna download that mod immediately!

[1] Except maybe try and find a falcon punch mod like the one in Skyrim because that shit's hilarious when you've finished the main quest

I'd recommend playing a few hours first without any mods. This way, you can better enjoy the differences and improvements the mods make to your game.

gmaverick019:

Palfreyfish:

off topic: saw your falcon punch comment, i am gonna download that mod immediately!

Stuff like that happens? I am going to like this game methinks :D

Here you go :) It's really fun when combined with this, a mod that changes the punching animations to some martial arts moves, and turns jump into a backflip :D

With whatever the fuck mods you want, man. It's your game.

If you want, you can at least start without mods, then add mods as you run into things you want to tweak. You don't have to finish it first. :p

Palfreyfish:

gmaverick019:

Palfreyfish:

Stuff like that happens? I am going to like this game methinks :D

Here you go :) It's really fun when combined with this, a mod that changes the punching animations to some martial arts moves, and turns jump into a backflip :D

oh i've had at least a dozen times happen where a dead body would demonicly ride up a wall in a spaztic movement for next to no reason at all, major "WTF" and "LOLL" ensued!

hah that is awesome, downloading them now!

evilneko:
With whatever the fuck mods you want, man. It's your game.

If you want, you can at least start without mods, then add mods as you run into things you want to tweak. You don't have to finish it first. :p

That was what I did with Skyrim, and it worked pretty well, though there wasn't the vast collection of mods like there is now so I was basically installing anything that was released :D

Goofguy:
I'd recommend playing a few hours first without any mods. This way, you can better enjoy the differences and improvements the mods make to your game.

You make a good point, thank you, I'll keep that in mind while playing :)

gmaverick019:
*Snip*

Excellent, I know buggy games are bad, but when they're funny bugs I really don't mind :)

And have fun :P

the only mods i would recomend straight off the bat would be the dc interiors mod. just adds no quest locations to normally closed off buildings. makes areas more fun to explore. the other would be fellout purely to get rid of the green tinge.. its suprising how much of a difference that makes

nikki191:
the only mods i would recomend straight off the bat would be the dc interiors mod. just adds no quest locations to normally closed off buildings. makes areas more fun to explore. the other would be fellout purely to get rid of the green tinge.. its suprising how much of a difference that makes

I was looking at both of those recently, will probably add DC Interiors straight away and add Fellout if I don't like the tinge :)

I'd say add some graphical mods (high res) and the dc interiors someone mentioned.

Then at least your adventures will feel extra shiny.

Oh and play as a woman because the extra damage to male enemies perk kicks ass.

Play the game AS the game first. THEN go wild.

I would agree with the others here: play the game bare bones first. Then when you want to play it again, mod it up and it's like a whole new game.

I would check out Wanderer's Edition for your second playthrough. I just got New Vegas and consequently got back on the Fallout train, only this time I decided to check out mods. Haven't actually used this one, but it looks like it would be good for increasing the challenge and it's all configurable.

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/2761

Mod out GFWL for starters, then there are some simple little mods like adding actual descriptions for items that I would recommend. Consider running the Unofficial Fallout 2 Patch too.

Moonlight Butterfly:
I'd say add some graphical mods (high res) and the dc interiors someone mentioned.

You just can't make a comment that isn't gender related, can you?

octafish:
Mod out GFWL for starters.

GFWL is optional by default.

I would suggest at least having the MTUI mod. It increase the size of the dialogue window and slightly deceases the size of the font.

Xid Satled:

Moonlight Butterfly:

You just can't make a comment that isn't gender related, can you?

Ha!

Well you know it's true :p

Be sure to get some patches and fixes before playing.

Nothing that changes the game radically mind you, just some performance enhancers and stuff that fixes goofs that slipped by beta testing.

I played it all the way through pure vanilla no dlc no mods nothing. I find it just great just get immersed in the world.

I forgot to mention get the Fallout Mod Manager and then install the mods after because it will save you a lot of trouble if there is an issue it will get addressed and show you and conflictions.

Fook adds pretty much a new optional economy system, the guns, balanced more weapons, dialog fixes and smaller texture re-duxes. Its basic a conjuction of around 50 mods in one.

I reckon get this, play the game with it because you dont want to be fiddling around for 5 hours and then have to play all the rest from the start again. Or pick up from a save missing what could have been changed.

Fook is also good with about 90% of all other mods

mad825:

octafish:
Mod out GFWL for starters.

GFWL is optional by default.

I would suggest at least having the MTUI mod. It increase the size of the dialogue window and slightly deceases the size of the font.

Well that'a good because GFWL is bad and it should feel bad. And that UI mod looks nice, I'll look in to that, thanks :)

kingthrall:
I forgot to mention get the Fallout Mod Manager and then install the mods after because it will save you a lot of trouble if there is an issue it will get addressed and show you and conflictions.

Fook adds pretty much a new optional economy system, the guns, balanced more weapons, dialog fixes and smaller texture re-duxes. Its basic a conjuction of around 50 mods in one.

I reckon get this, play the game with it because you dont want to be fiddling around for 5 hours and then have to play all the rest from the start again. Or pick up from a save missing what could have been changed.

Fook is also good with about 90% of all other mods

Yeah, the latest version of the Nexus mod manager can be set to handle Fallout 3 and NV mods as far as I know. In regards to the economy system, does this mean prices change due to supply and demand, or something different entirely?

Moonlight Butterfly:

May add some graphical mods if my computer can take it and my eyes can't... And I was thinking about playing as a woman for a change, are there any downsides to being either gender, or is it literally that perk that separates the two?

I usually play the main story first, then start modding. Did that with skyrim. Didn't touch anything else but the main quest. Once that was done, I started causing havoc. Got like, 40 mods. If you want, you can add some graphical mods and whatnot to make the game look better, but I probably wouldn't add any gameplay changes to the game the first time playing. Also, if the game I'm playing is a bit unbalanced in anyway, I try to find a mod to sort of balance the game out. A good example of that would be the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games.

I played FO3 a few times, I would say fairly extensively, and so I say for your first time you should play it vanilla.

That way you can really appreciate how much better the mods are because the vanilla game gets pretty old pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend ANY of the DLC aside from Broken Steel which sadly is pretty much a requirement if you want to get the most of your game.

KoudelkaMorgan:
I played FO3 a few times, I would say fairly extensively, and so I say for your first time you should play it vanilla.

That way you can really appreciate how much better the mods are because the vanilla game gets pretty old pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend ANY of the DLC aside from Broken Steel which sadly is pretty much a requirement if you want to get the most of your game.

I got the GOTY edition in the summer sale, so I might as well play all the DLC all the way through at least once

Palfreyfish:

KoudelkaMorgan:

I got the GOTY edition in the summer sale, so I might as well play all the DLC all the way through at least once

If yer gon' go for any before mods, I'd recommend Point Lookout, and maybe The Pitt.

Operation Anchorage is combat based, so would be improved with mods, Broken Steel doesn't really add much more than an increased level cap and an arduous main quest, and I've heard Mothership Zeta kinda sucks.

Considering the ending choices are different if you add the mods I would say add them, but don't do Broken Steel (is that it? Its been a while) until the end as it you can grab armor that makes the rest of the game ridiculously easy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked