Decent super hero games?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

What super hero games do you enjoy?

After coming off my fantasy kick, I'm on a super hero kick. And from what I understand, the super hero genre is filled with shitty games. Right now, I've played through Arkham Asylum again and I'm now onto Arkham City(loving it so far). I've also played Prototype and Infamous(if those count), and I've heard Infamous 2 is worth it, but don't know about Prototype 2. I've also heard good things about Spiderman 2 and the newest Spiderman game. What other super hero games should I try? Feel free to list any because I'm sure others might find a similar list useful, but know that I'm primarily focusing on PC games of the non-MMO and non-fighting variety(I may make an exception, like for Infamous 2).

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are fun co-op games. I wouldn't play them alone though. It is an incredibly mediocre single player experience.

I've heard the Lego Batman games are quite good

Plus two player co-op is always fun, right!?

Some good ones are the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, XMen Origins Wolverine (If you're into Hack and Slash), and, judging by how you've got Infamous, I'm assuming you have a PS3, so I can recommend DC Universe Online.

Also, the new Spider Man is actually quite good.

inFAMOUS 2 is definitely worth your time and money. Spider-Man 2 as well, if you can find a copy.

I still can't believe no other devs has been able to match the webslinging in that game.

From ones you haven't named, the Lego Batman games are really fun. Definitely recommend them, especially the second one.

Spider-Man 2 is the first one that came to mind.

Come to think of it I should buy that game. I rented it around the time it came out and didn't end up doing anything other than swing around the city. It was great.

From what I've seen of the new spiderman game, it should be really good. It's gotten a fair amount of praise from the critics as well. I particularly like the webslinging; the close-in camera angle gives a great sense of motion. Combat seems ripped right from Arkham Asylum too (good thing).

Daystar Clarion:
Spider-Man 2 as well, if you can find a copy.

I still can't believe no other devs has been able to match the webslinging in that game.

It seems to easy to repeat the formula but they haven't matched it since. :(

If you want ones on modern systems:

Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2
Amazing Spider-Man
Infamous 1 and 2
Prototype 1 and 2
Arkham Asylum and City
Wolverine: Origins
Marvel vs. Capcom 3

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is really good, if you've got a Gamecube lying around somewhere (a Wii works too, but I'm probably one of the few people here who have one).

Spiderman 2 has incredible webslinging, like daystar said. Seriously, if you can get a copy, you should. It's amazing.
Every other part of it is pretty crap, but the webslinging more than makes up for it.

I know this will probably surprise you, but I wholeheartedly recommend inFAMOUS 2. One of my favorite games of all time, actually. The user-made missions give it some nice replay value, too.

Superman 64. For the Commodore 64. It seems pretty fun.

Herzog Wyrmsyn:
Superman 64. For the Commodore 64. It seems pretty fun.

It is. Until that damn platforming level.

Still not as good as the one for the N64.

Viewtiful Joe isn't exactly a typical "superhero" but its definitely a fun game on most major consoles.

I also enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man for the Gamecube thanks to its dual gameplay featuring both Spidey and Venom.

Spider-Man 2 on console is worth it.

On PC I found it truly horrible. Worse than Spider-Man 3 (movie and game).

I strongly recommend Infamous 2 as it is a much stronger game than the first one.

Well I'm a really big fan of Arkham City but since that's already been mentioned, I recommend X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse. It's the exact same concept as the Ultimate Alliance games and it's pretty damn fun.

no love for ultimate spiderman? really that game tops back in the day, and the cell shaded gfx still hold up well today.

inFAMOUS 2, go buy it now!

You'll thank me later!
(If you're in the US there's a collection edition coming out 28th of the month, it HD and includes inFAMOUS I, II and Festival of Blood)

Daystar Clarion:
inFAMOUS 2 is definitely worth your time and money. Spider-Man 2 as well, if you can find a copy.

Hell, do any of the other Spider-Man games let you web a goon and then swing them around like a mace?

Although I spend most of my time just slamming the enemies into the ceiling. There's something to be said for a game about a straight-lined superhero that still lets you play like a psychopath.

What about Freedom Force?

It is totally the balls if you are into rpgs, tactical squad based strategy and silver age comic books and best of all its like 3 on Steam. Only drawback is that it isn't based on any actual comic books, so its just a bunch of made up dudes but you can make up your own dude which is fun if you're into that.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a great Spidey game.

inFamous is my favorite one of all time.
inFamous 2 is a quality follow-up as well.

Arkham Asylum is great but I'd pass on Arkham City (good, not great).

Wuvlycuddles:
What about Freedom Force?

It is totally the balls if you are into rpgs, tactical squad based strategy and silver age comic books and best of all its like 3 on Steam. Only drawback is that it isn't based on any actual comic books, so its just a bunch of made up dudes but you can make up your own dude which is fun if you're into that.

I second this. If you have patience you can even find and implement some decent skins and meshes of your favorite superheroes as well. Then you can make your own Superman Spider-man or whatever.

For fun, you can do what I did and make a completely broken Superman with 10 in speed and strength with flight and a nasty punch that will just one shot anyone you come across. You will just need to save enough points to buy him, which can take the majority of the game.

Ultimate Spider-Man is probably one of the best superhero games I've played, but it's a little on the short side. Free-play and sides missions fixes that, though. You can play as both Venom and Spider-Man too, which is neat.

Ultimate Marvel Alliance is great. It's more fun with a friend (or four) and pretty lengthy. The sequel isn't as good, but it features more characters and slightly better graphics.

Even though you're not into fighting games, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is pretty great. MvC3 is also pretty good, but some of the characters are pretty broken. Weskers. Weskers everywhere.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube.

This game surprised the fuck out of me. There had been a number of Hulk games made, but none of them really captured the essence of the Hulk. Until this game came out in 2005 and smashed my low expectations. You can leap over entire buildings, smash entire buildings, throw tanks around like they're pebbles, wrestle with Hulkbusters, suplex and smash said Hulkbusters, grab jets and helicopters out of the sky so you can smash them, and most importantly.

SMASH. EVERYTHING.

There are plenty of challenge missions along the lines of smashing this and that, if you ever tire of the story (which was surprisingly good, all things considered), and in the end, the game is fun yet never too easy. It provides just the right amount of challenge with enough fun and smashing.

So, if you want a good superhero game, get Hulk Ultimate Destruction and you'll have a smashing good time.

Did I mention it has smashing?

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM!

The Batman Arkham games are sexcellent if you want -the- perfect blend of runny-punchy-platformy-puzzle-solvey.

I am probably one of the few who will suggest Web of Shadows. The story is kind of dumb and the mission structue is repetitive, BUT the combat is the best of any Spider-man game, finally mixing combat and web slinging instead of having them as two separate activities.

And you might as well try out the mmos. There's like what, three of them and they're all F2P. Each one is good for different things though. Champions online really lets you customize your hero, while DCUO has much better travel powers and combat more like an action game than an MMO, and City of Heroes is really the oldest of the bunch and I think has the most overall content though the graphics have not aged well.

Wayneguard:
From what I've seen of the new spiderman game, it should be really good. It's gotten a fair amount of praise from the critics as well. I particularly like the webslinging; the close-in camera angle gives a great sense of motion. Combat seems ripped right from Arkham Asylum too (good thing).

I thought the reception of it has been that it's a meh game.

Definitely Freedom Force if you like squad based strategy games. That said I would advise against making your own heroes because if you do it right they just end up crazy broken, and you don't get the fun of the wonderfully campy banter that the main heroes have.

City of Heroes for me

for non MMO-ness

Batman for the NES
or
Wolverine:Origins

I'd definitely recommend Spiderman Web of Shadows, that was an awesome game (would recommend it on the PS3)

Other awesome superhero games:
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men Legends (1 and 2)
Batman Arkham Asylum + City
Lego Batman

DeadlyYellow:

Daystar Clarion:

Hell, do any of the other Spider-Man games let you web a goon and then swing them around like a mace?

Although I spend most of my time just slamming the enemies into the ceiling. There's something to be said for a game about a straight-lined superhero that still lets you play like a psychopath.

It's the only one that lets your drag a thug to the top of the Empire State Building and pile drive them all the way back down to earth.

Hardcore thugs too, impossible to kill :D

Lunar Templar:
Batman for the NES

Nice to see someone else who likes this one. One warning though, OP, it's Nintendo Hard.

Other decent to good retro games:

- Batman: Return of the Joker (NES, sequel to the first NES game)
- Batman Returns (SNES, if you're into old school beat'em ups)
- The Adventure of Batman & Robin (SNES and/or Genesis, they're different games)
- X-Men and X-Men 2: Clone Wars (Genesis, both hard action platformers with kickass music)
- Phantom 2040 (Genesis/SNES, a more story based metroidvania-like platformer)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked