GW2 - servers too weak already?!

Wow having started playing gw2 today as part of the headstart - great fun, nice game lalala good times
UNTILL u get dcd once and than the chances of gettin back in is almost 0. The load on the login servers is already by far exceeding capacity and yea this is only the first wave of headstarters......got the felling it will be bedlam come the 27th and absolute pandemoneum the 28th.
Just hope they sort that stuff out soon, after about 6hours of gametime I am actually enjoying the game more than SWtOR already :P

if anyone else found some way to get back in please let me know ;)

see ya in Tyria

GuildWars 1, GW Wiki, and GuildWars 2 are all down for me. I also can't log-in to the Guild Wars website. I think NCSoft handles all their log-ins using the same server, which is currently buckling under the sheer weight of the East Coast all waking up and logging in at the same time.

Big MMO servers always have issues in the first few days. It'll sort itself out, TBH I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did before giving out. Same thing happened to WoW, a bit to Tera, pretty much any big name MMO.
Same thing happened with diablo 3. Servers sorted themselves out, although you shouldn't have had to log in for singleplayer anyway >.>

Just give it a while. It's much worse than now than it will be in a week. To many people joining at once.

It'll be fine. I'm pretty sure the head start access is little more than one big stress test anyway. Things'll be under control soon enough, I'm sure.

And then I can get back to playing my thief. :D Omg, thieves are great.

I need to shoot things with my rifle damn it! I'm going to go insane at this rate!

Surely the server will be sorted out faster compared to Diablo 3!

Also if you haven't made plans already to joined a Guild, the GW group on here are planing to set one up http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Guild-Wars (it gonna be on the Server Desolation but that only matter if you want to do some WvWvW together).

I'm just a little disappointed. ArenaNet is better than this.

Richard Keohane:
I'm just a little disappointed. ArenaNet is better than this.

Come one, almost every single major game ever where you need to login have died on the first day. WoW, Diablo, I think Tera did, maybe Swtor...
I don't think you understand how much work MMO servers take.

I think slack should be given to any MMO going through a launch, especially Early Access and not the 'official' launch. Like Twinkle said, it takes a TON of work dev side.

If anything, I'm just upset that I woke myself up early for no reason. Now I can't get back to sleep >.<

This is fitting.

But yeah. This is the first MMORPG I have ever played (got lured in by a friend), but it's not giving a good first impression.

Pinkamena:
This is fitting.

But yeah. This is the first MMORPG I have ever played (got lured in by a friend), but it's not giving a good first impression.

Fear not little pony, they underestimated how many people would actually log in.

With an MMO this anticipated they should've expected it.

GeneralTwinkle:
Come one, almost every single major game ever where you need to login have died on the first day. WoW, Diablo, I think Tera did, maybe Swtor...
I don't think you understand how much work MMO servers take.

There's no reason you can't do a tiered system of release, where you let in only a certain number of people and quickly increase it every 8 hours until you've let in the entire population.

Better that SOME people can log in and play than no one.

Richard Keohane:
There's no reason you can't do a tiered system of release, where you let in only a certain number of people and quickly increase it every 8 hours until you've let in the entire population.

Didn't SWTOR do that? IIRC people were getting emails to login which was all determined by your preorder date.

Richard Keohane:

You know the amount of rage Anet would get? Think if you had to wait 24 hours more than someone who paid the exact same amount for because you were put in the later queue. That would not be good for arenanet, they'd get a ton of flak for that.

And anyway, they are doing a tiered release. Today for prepurchase, in 2 days for preorderes and then every one else later.
Plus, the server's probably aren't going to be down for that long anyway. Didn't take diablo 3 such a long time to fix their servers, and they had more people logging in than GW2.

So yes, there are lots of reasons a tiered release for people who paid the same would be bad, especially if they didn't warn you a long time in advance. Mostly because of the ridiculous amount of rage they would get. You can't possibly think that the people who get delayed would be very happy, do you?

well yea now i cant even connect to the login screen anymore - oh well might wanna get some sleep and start fresh in a couple of hours - at least im not loseing any subscription time ;)

I think so many people tried to login we killed their server farm. Not the launcher is not even connecting. LOL

ischmalud:
- at least im not loseing any subscription time ;)

Indeed, I'm a bit bummed I can't even get crappy connection the the game, and me and my two friends cleared our schedules so we could all play the new game together.

But as you say, we're not losing sub time so.. difficult to get annoyed.

Twyce:

Didn't SWTOR do that?

Indeed they did, and it worked really well. Retail launch was a little crazy, but overall a fairly smooth experience. However, Bioware had EA money behind their server farms, ArenaNet comparatively is small time.

Yawn. This happens to every MMO forever and always. Launch always has crashes, surprise down times- do you even get how many people are simultaneously logging onto this service?

TsunamiWombat:
Yawn. This happens to every MMO forever and always. Launch always has crashes, surprise down times- do you even get how many people are simultaneously logging onto this service?

Apparently many people don't. A lot of people seem to think this shows that the servers will always be down all the time. Not so many here, but on one forum there was a thread several pages long about this with maybe 1-2 people thinking that the game wasn't doomed.

Seems like they're fixed for most people now :D
And now I've lost access to the computer that can run GW2.
>:(

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked