Dark Souls your weapon of choice

Pages 1 2 NEXT

One of the defining features of Dark Souls is the weapon variety, which seems to be one of the best in the ARPG genre. While featuring such things as spears, whips, bucklers, halberds, rapiers and the like is a remarkable thing in itself, most of these include their own movesets, giving an awesome amount of customization.

So while I'm sure there are 3-7 weapons that are thought to be superior in the pvp scene, what is YOUR favorite weapon, be it because of power, looks or the move set.

Me? Has to be the halberd. Only 2 games I've played previously where I get to swing one of these around. Great area of effect, and easy to keep your distance. I've also been using a claymore in one hand, but since I finally found large shards to get my halberd to +7, it has gone obselete. Looking forward to wielding an awesome lightning halberd.

Uchiganata/Iaito/Chaos Blade are my favourite fast blades.

The Uchi is quicker than the Iaito, but I find the Iaito's heavy attack is less predictable.

The Chaos Blade is better than both in terms of speed and damage, but it also drain the wielder's health with every hit. So really, it depends on the situation.

Lifehunter Scythe/Claymore are my favourite heavy weapons.

The Lifehunter Scythe builds Bleed on a target very quickly, but it also builds up Bleed on the wielder. I counteract this by having the Bloodshield equipped, which provides a decent amount of resistance to things such as bleed, poison, toxic etc.

The Lifehunter Scythe is great against heavily armoured foes or foes who like to defend a lot, because the Bleed build up bypasses armour, so when their bar finally fills, they lose half their max HP just like that. Great weapon.

The Claymore is a really fun sword to use, it has a great moveset and nothing feels more satisfying then planting a huge sword in the side of an opponent's head :D

Nothing really special about the Claymore, just nice, reliable, heavy damage.

These are the weapons I use in PvP anyway. PvE I usually stick to the Uchi and Claymore.

Lately, I've been having a lot of fun with buff builds. Maining the Balder Swag Sword, The Broadsword, The Silver Knight sword or the Iaito. Combine that with the Crystal Magic Weapon buff, Power Within and Lingering Dragon ring(To increase spell duration). With all of that, you're going to have something that is borderline insanely overpowered. Not sure how that fairs in PvP since I don't bother with it.

Uchiganata.
I upgrade that baby to the max, full lightning, the whole thing. I loved that sword like a child and kept it for the vast majority of the game.

Packie_J:
Lately, I've been having a lot of fun with buff builds. Maining the Balder Swag Sword, The Broadsword, The Silver Knight sword or the Iaito. Combine that with the Crystal Magic Weapon buff, Power Within and Lingering Dragon ring(To increase spell duration). With all of that, you're going to have something that is borderline insanely overpowered. Not sure how that fairs in PvP since I don't bother with it.

Yeah, the Balder Swag Sword is a really good weapon too.

I think it has the best feel out of all the straight swords, and definitely the best heavy attack.

Personally I love the Greatsword of Artorias, the forward thrust attack is great for knocking enemies off cliffs, and it just overall has some pretty good stats.

Massive fan of the Black Knight Greataxe. THE DAAAMAMAAAAGGEEE. THE STRENGTH SCALLLIINNGG.
Yeah I enjoyed using that in my STR build.
I do love the Uchigatana as well; very comfy.
Other worthy mentions are the Balder Swag Sword and the Painting Guardian Sword.

Packie_J:

Wait, the Silver Knight Sword is buffable? o.o INTERESTING.

My first time though I was using Partisan and Iaito and went +5 lightning on both.

Now on my (fresh) 4th time I don't like them much, and lightning just keeps getting nerfed again and again it seems.

So currently I'm using a +15 Swag Sword, which I don't think I even used at all for the first 3 times I played it. And a +5 Silver Knight Spear. I'm currently trying out the scythe and great scythe because they are dex scaling halberds.

I also want to get the str to use the heavy weapons like the Giant's Halberd etc. because idk if I ever did b4.

I wish that slashing damage were more useful against the enemies I fight most, heavily armored ones. Because I always start as a wanderer and I like the curved sword moves, but it does jack on armor.

The new Gold Tracer is gonna rock, and it has bleed too which oddly the falchion and scimitar do not have. Seriously the main draw of a slashing weapon that relies on multiple hits to get the job done is that eventually they bleed to death. They had it in Demon's Souls dammit.

I miss my +5 Moon Kilij.

The Tried, The True: THE DRAKE SWORD!!!

Mostly I use this as I'm too lazy to get a better weapon. My only character I've gotten farther than Capra demon on is a Sorc, and eventually you get to a point where weapon swings aren't very common, except for backstabs or cutting the last sliver off of an enemy, or keeping them at bay.

The Bandit Knife for life. I'm doing a playthrough with just the default equipment plus rings and a Lightning Knife with the Hornet Ring is heaven. It has become my favorite weapon.

Dragon Bone Fist, preferably with charcoal pine resin. Bladed weapons are for casuals and girly-men - real warriors use flaming shoryukens to slay demons. Combine with hornet ring for maximum devastation.

I used the Halberd my first play through as well. I used one handed swords this time around because of how slow the halberd is/ I got better at dodging with a short sword and shield.

Daystar Clarion:

The Chaos Blade is better than both in terms of speed and damage, but it also drain the wielder's health with every hit. So really, it depends on the situation.

The life drain is why I went Quelaag's Fury Sword. Also since I was going into New Londo. It tore through the Four Kings like butter.

I vary it up, but my mainstays are:

Claymore: That sword is reliable, rather stunlocking while two handing, or one-handed countering from behind a shield.

Great Scythe: I usually PvP with this, as the reach when two handing with the hard attack catches most opponents while rolling, plus, it looks cool.

Uchiganata: My katana of choice. Just fun to use.

Quelaag's Fury Sword. Just looks cool with its flaming attacks.

I do want to do a strength build, and go all Havel and use the Dragon Tooth sometime.

It really depends on what kind of character I'm playing.

Dex character: I like using the Claw and Chaos Blade. 2 points for anyone that correctly guesses the character this weapon set references.

Str character: Black Knight Greataxe.

Int character: Moonlight Greatsword.

But I'm working on a character build that successfully utilizes both magical and dextrous battle styles, either simultaneously or with either style. I've made good progress and I've reached the end result of the character that can pull this off. I'm just fine tuning the process of GETTING to that point most effectively.

Really, my favorite weapon by way of looks would be a tie between the Greatsword of Artorias and Dragonslayer spear. It's just too bad that both of them suck unless you pump loads into their scaling stats.

Im relatively new to the game (just beat Capra) but so far i really like the reach and general awesomeness of spears. currently rocking the Winged. its quite easy to keep enemies at bay, and the thrust is great for close quarters fighting. and i feel like a Spartan :)

Also, i started as a Knight so had Broadsword from beginning, and found a Longsword shortly after. Now, i did NOT know you could duel-wield! with the Long in the right hand, and broad in the left, you get an (admittedly) weak block, a heavy broad sword slash and a thrust move from the longsword...combined with your regular attack. i thought this was bitchin'

Normally I just go with the Bastard Sword, because it looks badass when you pair it with the Elite Knight armor set.

Typically I go with initally a nice Winged spear to start off with. Solid effect that lets you thrust and essentially remain behind a shield.

As soon as something viable becomes available I want the largest, most disgustingly oversized 2 hand-esque type axe.

Its been a while since I have seen my save file, but IIRC, it was

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Dragon+Kings+Great+Axe

And hidden behind a

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Stone+Greatshield and

I think Im roughly about halfway through this playthrough.

Rylot:
I used the Halberd my first play through as well. I used one handed swords this time around because of how slow the halberd is/ I got better at dodging with a short sword and shield.

Daystar Clarion:

The life drain is why I went Quelaag's Fury Sword. Also since I was going into New Londo. It tore through the Four Kings like butter.

I still prefer the Chaos Blade over the Fury Sword.

Much more reach and power and decent attack speed.

Well dual-wielding lightning and chaos caestus does the trick pretty well for me (I actually have those, but the caestus really is a useless weapon).
Seriously, I like to mix up my weapons every now and then, but I mainly go with Bastard Sword (which is essentially a slightly better version of the claymore), Uchigatana, Quelaag's Furysword, Black Knight Greataxe and recently have been giving the Dragon's Tooth a go.

I'll use pretty much everything, but halberds and whips are out.
They just don't feel right to me.
But I love the Greatsword of Artorias, Grant and Black Knight Greataxe, just to name a few.

Witty Name Here:
Personally I love the Greatsword of Artorias, the forward thrust attack is great for knocking enemies off cliffs, and it just overall has some pretty good stats.

The BEST stats, actually, assuming the Artorias of the Abyss content hasn't changed that, because it scales well with all stats, meaning at 99 in all, the damage will be incredible.

Only got to Blighttown so far, but my favourite weapon has to be the Claymore.

The R1/R2 attacks gives you amazing reach both horizontally and vertically. The one handed R2 attack is just amazing against everything because of the crazy reach.

King of Asgaard:
But I love the Greatsword of Artorias, Grant and Black Knight Greataxe, just to name a few.

Witty Name Here:

The BEST stats, actually, assuming the Artorias of the Abyss content hasn't changed that, because it scales well with all stats, meaning at 99 in all, the damage will be incredible.

Great Sword of Artorias is only a decent weapon if you never plan on playing against other players.

As a rule, most PvP builds run a Soul Level of 120-125.

GSoA has B scaling stats, which is rather poor in comparison to other weapons, not to mention the stats required to use the thing in the first place.

Black Knight Halberd, it just looks so incredibly badass.
Also the Iaito, I'm willing to sacrifice a little damage for the utter badass that is it's R2 draw blade cut.
I'm also partial to Velka's Rapier, for it has a wicked R2 as well, same goes for Rickard's Rapier. The machinegun stab is quite nice.

For strength, the Golem Great Axe is wicked, plus the R2 ranged wind cut is so cool looking.

Daystar Clarion:

King of Asgaard:

Witty Name Here:

Great Sword of Artorias is only a decent weapon if you never plan on playing against other players.

GSoA has B scaling stats, which is rather poor in comparison to other weapons, not to mention the stats required to use the thing in the first place.

GSoA has C in Strength and Dexterity, and B in Intelligence and Faith.
I don't participate in PvP. Between the lagstabs, and getting one-shot by guard bypassing weapons, it's not the least bit fun.
Not to mention, I'm always invaded by someone with gear that you can't get at that point in the game, so I'm put on an uneven playing field on top of lag issues.

King of Asgaard:

Daystar Clarion:

King of Asgaard:

I don't participate in PvP. Between the lagstabs, and getting one-shot by guard bypassing weapons, it's not the least bit fun.
Not to mention, I'm always invaded by someone with gear that you can't get at that point in the game, so I'm put on an uneven playing field on top of lag issues.

Even then, it's still not the 'best' weapon in the game.

C scaling might as well not exist and B scaling is hit hard by diminishing returns on stats past a certain level.

You'd have to be 99 in all stats for GSoA to be the best weapon in the game, but by then your character would be overpowered as hell anyway.

Drake Sword because I'm a noob and I like the attack speed on it and lightning spear because lightning. I also used a divine winged spear for the tombs.

Daystar Clarion:

King of Asgaard:

Daystar Clarion:

C scaling might as well not exist and B scaling is hit hard by diminishing returns on stats past a certain level.

You'd have to be 99 in all stats for GSoA to be the best weapon in the game, but by then your character would be overpowered as hell anyway.

Agreed, it's not practically the best, only theoretically.
But it's still quite powerful, at over 500 damage with decent stats and heavy attacks which never cease to amuse.
One of the best is the Grant I believe, as I recall one of my characters having ~750 damage with reasonably attainable stats.

King of Asgaard:

Daystar Clarion:

King of Asgaard:

But it's still quite powerful, at over 500 damage with decent stats and heavy attacks which never cease to amuse.
One of the best is the Grant I believe, as I recall one of my characters having ~750 damage with reasonably attainable stats.

I think it's probably the best looking sword in the game, it's just a shame it's not practical.

Daystar Clarion:

King of Asgaard:

Daystar Clarion:

I think it's probably the best looking sword in the game, it's just a shame it's not practical.

The GSoA, you mean?
Agreed, but even if not the best, it's still quite powerful, and rather easy to obtain.

+15 Longsword or Balder Swag Sword.
Because they're good at everything.

I use a spear or rapier because I can quickly jab from behind my shield, also they are pretty light so can be used by most classes with just a few points.

I usually main spears, reliable damage and i can stay guarded while i poke my opponent to death.

I also like rapiers, especially Velka's Rapier. Its occult bonus decimates "living" enemies that arent magic resistant.

spears, being on of the few weapons were you can hold your shield up when attacking. when i received the winged spear (on the graveyard.) i never replaced it. there was just never something that was better, so i maxed it to 15+. i didn't want to lose attack strength by making it magical.

is it a spear or halberd variant? that makes it mine. i just started the PC version and the guy in the undead chapel shooting the soul arrows dropped the trident (not sure if he usually does that) so i am currently using that

I like Quelaag's furysword, very fast and very powerful.

I'm currently using a Black Knight's Sword at the moment because I'm not that far in yet.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked