As someone who has played/knows of Guild Wars...
Why are we here when you and I should be playing Guild Wars 2?!
29.4% (30)
29.4% (30)
I would strongly recommend Guild Wars
21.6% (22)
21.6% (22)
I somewhat recommend Guild Wars
12.7% (13)
12.7% (13)
I am impartial/neutral towards Guild Wars
16.7% (17)
16.7% (17)
I would not recommend Guild Wars
2.9% (3)
2.9% (3)
I definitely would not recommend Guild Wars
1% (1)
1% (1)
Why are we talking about the garbage that is Guild Wars?!
2% (2)
2% (2)
What the **** is Guild Wars?!
12.7% (13)
12.7% (13)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Sell me on (or warn me about) Guild Wars

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I recently saw the quiz for determining my Profession for the up-coming Guild Wars 2, and curious I decided to take it. In the end I received the "Guardian" outcome and so, equally as curious, I went to Guild Wars 2's website to check out the class and its offerings.

What I found was rather intriguing. Not only did I come to like what I saw of the Guardian, but I was interested in most of the other classes as well, like the Mesmer, Thief, and Elementalist. The races had some interesting choices as well, and the combat videos helped draw me in further. The idea of World vs World was something I had never known of before; PvP at a ridiculous scale beyond the 1-on-1 duels I remember from Diablo II. I was starting to get hooked.

I went to Gamefaqs, and started looking at player reviews of the original Guild Wars. The opinions were mostly positive, and a common theme emerged: this game was not your "average" MMO, and we like it.

The fact that it has no subscription is icing on the cake, and now I'm seriously considering buying Guild Wars 2 when I get the chance. But I'm still not yet completely sold. I do not personally know anyone who has played the first game, so I want to look to my fellow Escapists for advice. I've messed around with the Starter Edition of World of Warcraft, but I'm not heavily invested in the MMO experience. I love games of all kinds, and I am not above or against interacting with my fellow man, especially if said interaction is uniting to smash a monster's face in. I've easily logged a couple hundred hours playing Diablo 2 and 3, and untold amount of time playing similar Action RPGs like Champions of Norrath and the like split-screen with my Real-Life friend on the Playstation.

So now that I've talked your ear off, let's get to the heart of the matter with my question(s):

- Have you played Guild Wars?
- Did you like it? How much so?
- Should I get Guild Wars 2?
- Is it worth going back and getting the first title?
- Should I convince my RL friend to get it with me?

I would really appreciate to know your feelings on this, and I thank you for the assistance in advance :)

I started playing guild wars 1 a while back and loved it! The level cap was only 20 which was discouraging but not that big of deal. I started my three day head start on saturday and immediately fell in love with Guild wars 2. Level cap increased to 80, great graphics for an MMO, and free to play! I personally don't think it's necessary to play the first one but it's good fun. The second one is amazing and while you're running around the enormous world you have a decent story line and constant side quests that you and many other players embark on together. I would definitely recommend you pick this game up and have your friends as well although it's not hard to meet friendly people on the game to join up with.

linkblade91:
So now that I've talked your ear off, let's get to the heart of the matter with my question(s):

-Yes I have, around 300 hours worth, which is a bit impressive as I'm not generally an MMO player
-I did like it, though when I first played it, I didn't "get it". You've probably heard of the 1'000+ skills that Guild Wars has, and you can use 8 of them at a time. It's very "Magic the Gathering"-ish in that sense, you have to stop and figure out how skills work in combinations, rather than their individual effects.
-DEFINITELY
-Well, the thing is, GW1 and 2 were vastly different. GW1 was extremely PvP-oriented while GW2 is more traditional in many ways and gives you plenty of PvE content. In GW1, the PvE was essentially a long tutorial for PvP in my opinion, all the monsters were essentially reskins of your selectable classes. You'll find that every monster can use the skills you can, there are barely any monsters that just run at you, attack you and keep attacking until they're dead.
-Guild Wars 1 is much more fun and easier with friend, without other players, you're stuck with AI partners throughout the game

I've logged a good 10 hours into the second game, I think... Not really sure. Would I recommend it? Oh yes. I wouldn't pass any judgment past that in terms of any actual "review", but so far it's passed everything with flying colors. Game looks good, the animations are solid (read: not AHMAHAZING), the leveling system is very well done and leaves it up to you to point the rails rather than take you on long chains that you have no choice in, the combat is new to me (but this is personal, as I've hardly veered off the path of teh WoWz), and most importantly there are people around.

That last bit is slightly optimistic, as we all know what happens when an MMO has been out for a while (people vanish), but nonetheless. I wish I could give you some PvP rundown, but I haven't tried it. I've seen videos of it, and it looks absolutely batshit insane considering how LARGE the map for WvWvW is.

As a note: You very want to have people you know to play with you. You don't necessarily need to level together, but having other people to bug when you need some tips or are stuck somewhere is always a plus. It will also more than likely make your pvp experience much better, because there is strength in numbers.

I just barely got it, been playing it a little bit, but what drew me in was the pvp. Yes, you have the WvWvW, which will be fun. But the more traditional battleground-ish pvp seems to put everyone on a level playing field. I like that, though I could be wrong if it does that.

Btw, question. When I first started and picked a server, it warned me that if I wanted to go to a different server, I would have to pay money to move. PLEASE tell me they're just talking about the character I created? The way they phrased it gives me the sinking feeling it's an account thing, not just a character thing. If I'm locked down to one server for all my characters, assuming limited character slots as well, that's some hardcore bullshit that needs to change right quick.

Edit: So yeah, it's account wide. They're just "benevolent" enough not to be actually charging for transfers yet. So basically, you're restricted to five characters per account. That makes no fucking sense to me. Unless I'm missing something, I can't imagine that is going to go over well at all once people start realizing this. If this was an actual F2P game, I'd be fine with this, but I just shelled out $60.

I can't give you a game review. I havn't touched Guild wars 2. One thing I know though is that GW1 and GW2 are not very alike at all and shouldn't be treated as such. As for the game itself I have a neutral opinion. I do however think it's a bit overhyped. I'm going to wait about 1 month before I decide to buy it or not and see what people think of it then.

If you have the money to burn and you don't feel it would hurt your wallet at all, then hell, go for it. I seriously doubt it's a horrible game. Doubt it's an amazing game though, but maybe I'll be proven wrong in 1 month.

LetalisK:
Edit: So yeah, it's account wide. They're just "benevolent" enough not to be actually charging for transfers yet. So basically, you're restricted to five characters per account. That makes no fucking sense to me. Unless I'm missing something, I can't imagine that is going to go over well at all once people start realizing this. If this was an actual F2P game, I'd be fine with this, but I just shelled out $60.

Considering that there isn't a subscription fee it's a very fair deal, in my opinion. Besides, you don't have to actually pay for the extra slots, you can buy the gems just as well with gold.

I like this game, but ... as of right now, a bunch of stuff is broken.

The Trading Post is down, joining guilds doesn't work properly, and some events end up bugged after awhile - and due to their cyclic nature, get permanently locked that way.

So, like all other good but buggy games, wait a week or two to play it.

LetalisK:

You could buy new character slots with in-game gold, if you're opposed to buying them with cash. It's one of the ways they compensate for a lack of sub fee, and they want to stop world switching/stacking for WvWvW (hence being tied to a single home realm). 5 is enough for me, although I can see why a true alt-o-holic would find it painfully limiting.

linkblade91:

I would really appreciate to know your feelings on this, and I thank you for the assistance in advance :)

1. I have played Guild Wars, both of them.

2. I enjoyed the first one, although not to any extraordinary extent. It was more similar to Diablo...an instanced co-op experience...than an MMO proper with large shared spaces. The world was also very on rails...you couldn't, say, run down a hill side, or hop over a fence. Still, it had some unique ideas and was refreshingly unique for its time. The second game is quite a departure.

3. Without knowing much about your gaming tastes or your expectations this is hard to answer, but I will tentatively say "yes". Without a sub fee it's a smaller investment than most MMOs, and I find the game enormously charming.

4. At this point? Probably not.

5. Sure, if you want. Do be aware it's having something of a rough launch, and one of the primary ways in which it is rough is that playing with friends can be a bit of a chore. I play with my GF, and trying to get us both into the same overflow instance is a constant struggle whenever one of us zones, or a niggling error forces a quick relog. It's not impossible by any means...but it is something that requires more effort than I'd prefer. This is not inherent to the game's design, this is just a glitch. They are struggling to meet demand for the game right now and their servers are taking a hammering. To their credit, they are not making the classic MMO mistake of opening 100 new servers just to immediately turn around and close them down again, but that means some extra headaches for launch week.

You sound like you have a relatively open mind, and you're not adverse to MMOs in general. GW2 is probably the best MMO I've played since WoW. Which is not to say it's a WoW approximate, I just get a similar sense of quality craftsmanship from it. The game is enormous, and a tremendous amount of care and detail has been poured into the world. You can tell it was a labor of love for the developers, and that's seldom the case in this genre, where there's been a lot of me-too cash ins over the last decade.

It's a videogame.
There. Sold

A tip: for further questions there's always a group.

Also, the game is great. I've played for 22 hours since headstart on saturday and that's not counting the half day login was broken due to too many people attempting to get in at once and all the client issues I keep having atm. But after all it's launch day today and might I remind you of all the problems WoW was having then.

BloatedGuppy:

LetalisK:

You could buy new character slots with in-game gold, if you're opposed to buying them with cash. It's one of the ways they compensate for a lack of sub fee, and they want to stop world switching/stacking for WvWvW (hence being tied to a single home realm). 5 is enough for me, although I can see why a true alt-o-holic would find it painfully limiting.

Smertnik:

LetalisK:

Considering that there isn't a subscription fee it's a very fair deal, in my opinion. Besides, you don't have to actually pay for the extra slots, you can buy the gems just as well with gold.

Oh, okay. Well, now it makes sense to me. Seemed a little out of character for them, but now it makes more sense if you can also use in-game currency.

LetalisK:
Oh, okay. Well, now it makes sense to me. Seemed a little out of character for them, but now it makes more sense if you can also use in-game currency.

Everything in the cash shop can be bought with gold. You just trade gold for gems, and buy the items you want.

BloatedGuppy:

LetalisK:

Everything in the cash shop can be bought with gold. You just trade gold for gems, and buy the items you want.

What is the exchange rate? How many crystals does it take to make a new character?

Is it enforced PvP, or is there PvP-free Care Bear PvE servers too?

The_Lost_King:
What is the exchange rate? How many crystals does it take to make a new character?

No idea, as I've not done it. I know the market fluctuates with supply and demand though.

BloatedGuppy:

Yeah, there's no set exchange rate, it fluctuates a lot, so theoretically, you could turn a nice in-game profit if you can manipulate the market. You can exchange gold for gems, and gems for gold. Last time I tried exchanging, my 4 silver would get me 14 gems, lol

The_Lost_King:

No idea, as I've not done it. I know the market fluctuates with supply and demand though.

Xin Baixiang:

It's mainly PvE, there's no in-world PvP, it's all arena based.

Just putting it out there, I love this game. Fantastic MMO.

I want to thank everybody for your input! Don't think I just typed up that mountain of gibber-jabber and then walked away.

Norrdicus:
-Yes I have, around 300 hours worth, which is a bit impressive as I'm not generally an MMO player
-I did like it, though when I first played it, I didn't "get it". You've probably heard of the 1'000+ skills that Guild Wars has, and you can use 8 of them at a time. It's very "Magic the Gathering"-ish in that sense, you have to stop and figure out how skills work in combinations, rather than their individual effects.
-DEFINITELY

Three hundred hours is...quite a lot. I would dare to think that you might have an inside-track as to the quality of Guild Wars O.o

And while some of those Gamefaqs reviews referred to "a lot" of skills, I guess they probably should have rephrased that. A thousand-plus skills is not "a lot", it's "A LOT" lol

I've played Magic the Gathering to some extent, so I get what you're saying there (my college hallmates and I would use LackeyCCG and play online; every card in the game + free = readily accessible to new players, i.e: me). But I enjoy that process of honing your character, "power-gaming" almost to an exact science, so not a turn-off for me at all.

BloatedGuppy:

LetalisK:

I had heard about the 5-character limit, which disappointed me as it would restrict me from playing all (or at least most) of the classes. Dungeons and Dragons Online made you pay real money to acquire additional characters slots, if I remember correctly, and you only start with two, which was a huge annoyance. Being able to also purchase such things through in-game gold helps redeem that, in my opinion.

Well, it's a MMO, so I would not recommend it to anyone. If you go for it, it will die in matter of months and you return to your World of Warcraft disillusioned.

Quaxar:
A tip: for further questions there's always a group.

Thank you for the notice. Hell, if I do actually get this game, I might just join the Escapist Guild and see you all around :)

SFMB:
Well, it's a MMO, so I would not recommend it to anyone. If you go for it, it will die in matter of months and you return to your World of Warcraft disillusioned.

Ah, but you see, I am not attached to World of Warcraft, having only played a few hours through the Starter Edition. My ability to enjoy that game was dampened heavily when I discovered that, as a SE-player, I could not communicate or join up with anyone else without being talk to/invited first. Playing the World's Most Popular MMO single-player is truly a lonely existence.

When it comes to Blizzard, I'm one of those "weirdos" who wants less WoW expansions and more:
Heart of the Swarm/Legacy of the Void release dates
Diablo III patches/updates/expansions
Warcraft IV!

linkblade91:
-snip-

I dont know much about Guild Wars, I actually came in here for some opinions on it. But you mentioned Champions of Norrath, and I love that game, so that makes you awesome.

I've played maybe 15 to 20 hours of guild wars 2 and I can easily say it is one of the best MMOs I've played, and I've tried a few that have eventually left me unimpressed.

Everything that they've changed that's a standard in MMOs is great. I love the combat as it's a lot more engaging than just standing there, going through a skill rotation and rolling die. You have to move around, you can dodge incoming attacks, the combo system makes keeping an eye on your skills and other players ability key. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet, as my highest level is 12 so far, but from what I can tell from this point is it'll keep me interested for the long run.

The changes they did to questing is amazing. I've gotten caught up in the dynamic quests and a random mob of players, which still made the quest, or dynamic event, still challenging, but I easily found myself, at level 4, in a zone for level 9+, and being able to handle it because of the group and getting rewarded for it! Not having partied with anyone, which is just awesome to me. I hated MMOs which separated players when questing because you didn't want someone to steal your kill, in Guild Wars 2 I'm excited to see other players, even if I play alone.

The lack of a healing class, meaning all classes have some form of heal and anyone can heal a downed or defeated player is fantastic, not having to wait for a specific character class to pick you up and seeing 2-3+ people helping you back up in the middle of a difficult event just makes me feel that this is what a true MMO should be.

All of the classes have clear distinction from each other, so if you wanted to play a different class. The races, lore and world it self are wonderfully crafted.

There's so much more I could go on about, but overall I highly suggest it.

Edit: I also play a Guardian, I originally just went to try the class out but I found it surprisingly fun, though I think of my Ranger as my main, I only play that with my wife whenever we can get on together, making the Guardian my highest level lol.

I've played GW1 to death, around 11k hours logged over the life time. However, I would strongly caution against getting it simply because the population is for all intents and purposes dead.

There's a catch 22 where it's fully soloable once you unlock your NPC henchmen and enough skills accross your account to terrorize everything with, unfortunately it'll take you at least 2 months to get to that point and you will get no support. The only good active players keep to themselves thanks to the heavy instancing, and it's such a heavily skill/deck based game that the majority of people trying it out will either be too dense to grasp it or give up before they do.

Essentially, it's dead, and GW2 made it even deader.

It might work if you convince your friend to get it and you both stick to it, but keep in mind, it's not traditional, but it's still an MMO, it'll be weeks before you become decent, and months before you become good enough to get worthwhile achievements unlocked that will produce GW2 (cosmetic) benefits.

Xin Baixiang:

The PVP world and the PVE world are completely different. As in there is Zone 1 where everyone is friends and Zone 2 where everyone is a cannibal, hungry and angry. And in order to get to Zone 2 you have to go to Zone 1.5 where you then enter Zone 2.

Ganath:

If you have the money to burn and you don't feel it would hurt your wallet at all, then hell, go for it. I seriously doubt it's a horrible game. Doubt it's an amazing game though, but maybe I'll be proven wrong in 1 month.

You know that once it is bought you can access everything in the game through the free in-game currency and you don't have to pay monthly.

Or you could just check out all the reviews, overviews and past coverages for the past two months that pretty much highlight why everyone is enjoying it.

It did what Fusion Fall failed to do, make a game that everyone can enjoy. Want to run around willy-nilly trying to stop things from happening, well you can. Want to platform? Well you can. Want to kill your fellow man then you also can. Want to become a stock-broker and literally sit around making a monopoly on weapons, well you can.

I recommend it to everyone, since it can be for everyone. Its honestly a lot of fun and is worth every cent spent. Especially since the game doesn't have a monthly fee.

Xin Baixiang:

Every server is PvE until you hit the "take me to PvP zone" button...

Pretty much echoing what other people have said - the first and second don't have a lot in common except the lore and lack of subscription. Would not recommend starting the first now, but you won't lose anything by not playing it.

In you like Action RPGs, you'll like this. Each class has a varied play style, but they all feel fluid making the combat both exciting and tactical. Meanwhile, the leveling progression quickly gives you a lot of customization while still having plenty for later on.
As for the MMO stuff, one thing that is great about this is how much you can co-operate with other players without saying anything - much of the teamwork comes naturally.

Aprilgold:

Ganath:

You know that once it is bought you can access everything in the game through the free in-game currency and you don't have to pay monthly.

Or you could just check out all the reviews, overviews and past coverages for the past two months that pretty much highlight why everyone is enjoying it.

1) I do know that, but while I might not have financial issues, other people might. Some people have to be selective about their games, even if they "only" cost 50 Euros or whatnot. Others just plain don't want to waste money until they're certain they'll get their worth out of something.

2) I once again state that the game has also seen plenty of hype. What I'm doing now by waiting a month is to see what my friends think of the game once some time has passed since release. I don't know anyone who has played in any beta events as far as I know, though I know a few people who bought the game. No harm is going to come from waiting to see if they get bored quickly or keep playing.

Besides that, I really wish I had more time, but with Mists coming around the corner, I'm pretty sure I'll have to be quite selective about what I want to play. That and I could've been more clear. By people, I didn't mean reviewers or strangers. I meant people whose opinions I actually think matter. Such as friends and family. At least, those matter to me.

airwolfe591:
Edit: I also play a Guardian, I originally just went to try the class out but I found it surprisingly fun, though I think of my Ranger as my main, I only play that with my wife whenever we can get on together, making the Guardian my highest level lol.

Although the quiz lined me up philosophically with the Guardian, I have concerns about their play-style that I wanted to ask you about. The combat videos on GW2's website were mostly defensive in nature, reflective shields and the like.

As a "the best defense is a good offense"-kind of guy, I don't like to be so heavily defensive. I'm no Leroy Jenkins barbarian; in fact, with that example, I'm more akin to the strategist guy setting the whole thing up, no doubt one of the first (if not the first) to be killed when some dolt (Leroy) ruins the plan. I'm usually either the spellcaster blowing the door down, or the warrior right behind the barbarian, making small-talk with the enemy about how face and mace rhyme and thus are destined to be together.

So I was wondering just how the Guardian played:

Is s/he A: a Stalwart Defender type, one of the last to fall by working to keep the team (and him/herself) intact?
Is s/he B: a Holy Avenger type, a paladin smiting their foes with righteous fury?

Or perhaps both? I greatly prefer the second or third option ;)

The only MMO I've ever really been big on was Diablo 2. I do have a couple friends who got really into Guild War (or I think that's what it was) for like two weeks. I think one of them made a character who was spec'd into running, and did pretty well.

BloatedGuppy:

LetalisK:

I wasn't aware of this. Kudos to you, bud.

Now, as for the OP.

- Have you played Guild Wars? Yep
- Did you like it? How much so? The first one was pretty good, but not exactly for me.
- Should I get Guild Wars 2? Definitely. No one's lying to you with "it's not your average MMO."
- Is it worth going back and getting the first title? If you really get into it, I suppose, but again, the first one wasn't really my cup of tea.
- Should I convince my RL friend to get it with me? Sure, why not? As with most MMOs, having a buddy makes it more enjoyable. On the flip side, it isn't exactly required, because most of the time you'd want someone at your side (dynamic events and such) there'll be people there.

So, in short: Yea, pick it up. It's great fun, easy to get into, and has some nifty mechanics that make it stand out from the rest.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but one thing I'm going to miss from Guild Wars 1 is collecting skills. That was really fun and rewarding, and got me to mix up my style all the time.

linkblade91:

So I was wondering just how the Guardian played:

Is s/he A: a Stalwart Defender type, one of the last to fall by working to keep the team (and him/herself) intact?
Is s/he B: a Holy Avenger type, a paladin smiting their foes with righteous fury?

Or perhaps both? I greatly prefer the second or third option ;)

Definitely both. pretty much all the classes can play in many different styles, though some better than others.

you can be the mace/shield guy that goes toe-to-toe and slams down protective walls/bubbles, you can be the greatsword guy that leaps into battle, whirlwinds through a mob and flings his sword, or you can be the scepter/torch guy that's all about control, immobilizing enemies and setting them on fire.

or more

there are lots of ways to play each class and even those builds can vary a lot based on how you trait your character.

--

beyond the mechanics though.. if you enjoy exploring a beautifully crafted world: gw2 is worth trying out.

Just to be clear, I'm a fan of GW2 so I could be abit bias :P

Have you played Guild Wars?
Yes

Did you like it? How much so?
ALOT. The reasons why I rarely on here on my free times is those "time" are now spend playing on that game especially when I am playing all 5 characters at once! (That's the amount of character slots you get). Granted I was bored alot before GW2 because of my game shortage drought.

Should I get Guild Wars 2?
Yes but if you're not fully convince then I just suggest that you wait a while for either waiting for the price to drop or when they release a free trail version. The only thing you're risking with that is time (like if you do like it in the end, you only regret it for not buying it sooner).

Is it worth going back and getting the first title?
Unless you want to get an idea of the lore than no. Guild Wars is different than what it used to be since currently the game is rarely about co-op as people used heroes (npc you own) and it's fall of farmers. Trying to play the game to complete the story will be difficult and it will take a while to get those rewards that are carry over to Guild Wars 2.
If you still want to read the stories and its history, than read it online.

Should I convince my RL friend to get it with me?
Up to you.

linkblade91:

-Yes, for many years. Fond memories.
-Absolutely, it got right many things that current MMO's were getting wrong. I think this can be said again for GW2.
-Of course, for a skimp $60, you can get in on the ground floor. You dont NEED to buy anything from the cash shop, ever. (With the exceptions of expansions, when they come out.)
-At this point, no....probably not. Not very much carries over, and all the lore can be read up on in 5 minutes. However, it is still a fantastic PvP experience, so do your thing.
-Sure, I have. It adds to the enjoyment when you can call up your buddy and get them to come in game and help you, or vice-versa. Also, its nice to talk to someone that is interested in the same thing you are.

Ganath:

Aprilgold:

Ganath:

1) I do know that, but while I might not have financial issues, other people might. Some people have to be selective about their games, even if they "only" cost 50 Euros or whatnot. Others just plain don't want to waste money until they're certain they'll get their worth out of something.

2) I once again state that the game has also seen plenty of hype. What I'm doing now by waiting a month is to see what my friends think of the game once some time has passed since release. I don't know anyone who has played in any beta events as far as I know, though I know a few people who bought the game. No harm is going to come from waiting to see if they get bored quickly or keep playing.

Besides that, I really wish I had more time, but with Mists coming around the corner, I'm pretty sure I'll have to be quite selective about what I want to play. That and I could've been more clear. By people, I didn't mean reviewers or strangers. I meant people whose opinions I actually think matter. Such as friends and family. At least, those matter to me.

1) Understood, but in the long run your saving money.

2) There is hype for everything ever made in the history of ever. You want to know what hype is? Its advertising and advertising forever has been effecting people's expectations and thoughts on something. However humans are not a fucking hive-mind which is why I said exactly that. You should check all the pre-press coverage, beta-weekend-event coverage and finally everyone's analysis since the early release.

Lack of background checking is not a excuse for you to wait a month on something when it takes five minutes to understand why people like it from a thousand or more perspectives.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked