Understanding Dark Souls difficulty

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Due to a supposed mistranslated statement of the Dark Souls designer, a lot of people were talking about a more easy and accessible Dark Souls experience "so everyone could play the game".

Well, I got news, everyone can play the game now, exactly as it is.

Dark Souls is not difficult because it requires inhuman skill (like some platformers). In fact, in that regard it is much easier than any super Mario game.

Dark Souls is difficult for many people because it requires a skill set that is lost to gamers nowadays (and most people in general):

. patience;
. lateral thinking;
. observation;
. experimentation;

It is a unique experience because while playing you do not evolve your character as much as you evolve yourself as a player. It is unbelievably rewarding to decipher the innumerous secrets of the game. That's the game, the discovery. The game is not about running around killing monsters.

It is insanely awesome to see that something that looked like impossible a few hours ago you can now do with your eyes closed (well, maybe one eye closed).

Putting a minimap, an extensive tutorial and save points on the game would not make the game easier - it would be creating another game - one that is simply not nearly as interesting or innovative.

Dark Souls is a unique, intelligent new experience, we really should not be trying to make it equal to other thousands of games.

I understand the frustration if you want to experience the setting but thinks the experience is too hard. But, honestly, have you even tried? Most people shy away from the game because of its fame alone.

A friend of mine have arthritis and cannot play most fight games and platformers and, after a little bit of effort he finished the game twice already.

I am not a very accomplished player also. I can't memorize patterns very well, I can't do a combo in a fighting game for the life of me and cannot drive in a straight line in racing games. And I completed the new content for the game dying only twice.

The famous super uber difficulty of Dark Souls (and Demons Souls for that matter), can be easily conquered by rethinking yourself as a gamer, being more methodical in your approach.

Some people say that an easy mode doesn't hurt because you doesn't have to play it. But the fact that Dark Souls have only one setting of difficulty works as a watermark, a parameter for your successes and failures.

This is what makes people to come back to the game - discovering the new ways to kill a boss or getting the most difficult equipment should be a reference to all. Why? Simply because there's no game that does it now. Comparing notes, efforts and challenges is part of the game. Some things in the game are meant to be very hard to discover and an easy way around it just kills the sense of accomplishment that is so impressive in this game.

Hell, the game became huge mostly because of its style and difficulty. Why try to make something so innovative into another triple A title with all the trappings that executives think that are required for a game to succeed?

In any case, the discussion is moot because lazy people are already cheating their way into the game, making everything supereasy. Which would be fine, I think, if they weren't bringing their fake accomplishments online, to the multiplayer component of the game.

But this is people for you. There will always be someone ready to spoil everyone's fun on the behalf of their fun. We cannot do much about this, unfortunately.

What we can do is enjoy one of the greatest games of all time in the way that made it one of the greatest games of all time: difficult, but conquerable.

Capcha: comfort zone. So true...

This is true.

I think games these days hold your hand for a lot so people have become lazy. For example: Prince of Persia (2008) - theres a button which pretty much tells you exactly where and how you can reach where you need to go and in the boss fights it tells you exactly what to press and when. In the PoP trilogy, this didn't exist and it was fun to figure out how you can make it to X ledge and how to defeat certain bosses. As you pointed out, many games have more checkpoints hints etc to help which adds a certain level of easiness and I think it makes you a bit more mindless as well.

I picked up Dark Souls the other day, and I can safely say I was one of the people you mentioned who forgot about the skill set you need for this game, but now I'm starting to enjoy the game because I realized that this game requires you to adapt and be patient for the openings etc (this was applicable to many older games).

Yeah you're right. It's not difficult; just requires practice and patience.
God I love the game.

Thing is, I don't think anything else on this matter can be said outside of this video..

So yeah. It cannot happen. If they want a more 'accessible' game...don't make it a part of the Souls series.

KFalcon:
I picked up Dark Souls the other day, and I can safely say I was one of the people you mentioned who forgot about the skill set you need for this game, but now I'm starting to enjoy the game because I realized that this game requires you to adapt and be patient for the openings etc (this was applicable to many older games).

Welcome to Dark Souls! Check out the channel I linked; the guy's amazing.

I don't think Dark Souls is above having an easier difficulty.

As long as the original difficulty is kept intact I don't see why this should be a big deal.

I do agree with about the skills set and all that BUT (and this is a big sweaty one) i would appreciate that the game explains some basic stuff like, what does this allegiance give me? What does this symbol mean in the black smith upgrade part? OOH goody i got a buff .... what does it do (more accurately by how much does it increase)?

It is true it is fun to stroll around and find things out by your own, true, but i find it slightly obnoxious if you have to check out FAQs to get basic info.

Other thing I would like to see improved is the dodge response, when i press the button once with no direction i want to dodge back and when i press it again while pressing the analog stick all the way to the left, i do NOT want to dodge roll strait in front of me T.T

And last rant is about boss damage, I don't mind 1 hit kills if i can dodge them, I do mind when the same attack can take away 1/4 of my life and the next same hit, instant death with full health, this is very obvious against the "fire giant" (boss right after the fire spider boss)

I do like the game but it frustrates me to no end when people call it "world crushing hard", no it is not a game that is that hard, not easy yes but most of the difficulty comes from the total lack of info on some important things, very unintuitive and especially OBNOXIOUS level design (how many times you were stuck in an area for a while and after 4/5 back tracks, OOH there was a stair/ladder here, i luve you bad design <3 )

So basically the game is not bad, and actually fun (more like, this ****ing game won't beat me) but it could use some optimization on several points to make it allot better.
Who cares if there is an option for difficulty level, that would not be a horrible thing actually ( low difficulty lvl : monster do lower dmg, maybe a bit less health, thats it).

King Billi:

As long as the original difficulty is kept intact I don't see why this should be a big deal.

Not above, no. The problem is that the difficulty is so integral to the game experience that it would not be Dark Souls anymore. It would play like a totally different game.

To yaydod:

yeah, the game is not perfect, but some of this stuff is actually not really related with the difficulty per se, although they can add to frustration.

The whole covenant thing I guess was poorly implemented - more mysterious than it should be and less rewarding than it could be.

The delay on the dodge can also be annoying.

Also to king billi: and I guess that Dark Souls already has an easy mode: it is called time. People just don't have the patience to understand the game anymore.

capcha: bee line. Very appropriate, that exactly how people want their games nowadays. Nothing wrong with that, but we should not want all games to provide the same experience, the same level of challenge, etc.

I dont know man.

For the little I TRIED (key word) to play the pc version of this game, it seemed a tad boring. But I only played around 10 minutes or so, I didnt gave it much of a chance... But then again, thats because I dosnt really seem to want that chance, because of the fucked up camera controls, the ingame cursor (I LOLīD when I saw that. Classic) and Then theres the whole XBOX buttons instead of the pc ones... Umm, yeah. Bad port much? I could deal with Binary Domain pretty quickly, in fact It was only the first half an hour or so that I couldt dominate the controls, after that I was more then fine and completed it in the hardest difficulty with little trouble (Then again thats not saying much, the game is rather easy. Very.)

For a game thats famous for its difficulty, I excepted the pc port to have accuarate controls, at the very least...

The only "skill" Dark Souls requires is knowledge. The game isn't difficult in the sense that it requires training and reflexes, in fact the combat is deliberately slow-paced. And it is that way because it's designed with its online hint system in mind. Take away the secrets and traps, and that system is broken.

To get more people to play the game, you don't have to make it easier, but more accessible. Making the player figure out your game without him putting effort in figuring out your game is an art within game design.

yaydod:
I do agree with about the skills set and all that BUT (and this is a big sweaty one) i would appreciate that the game explains some basic stuff like, what does this allegiance give me? What does this symbol mean in the black smith upgrade part? OOH goody i got a buff .... what does it do (more accurately by how much does it increase)?

That's what the status screen is for and if you level up, it displays the changes a stat gives you in the level up screen.

Other thing I would like to see improved is the dodge response, when i press the button once with no direction i want to dodge back and when i press it again while pressing the analog stick all the way to the left, i do NOT want to dodge roll strait in front of me T.T

Dodge usually works fine if you are locked on on the enemy. you have to be careful not to press it more than once though, because it won't be cancel-able.

And last rant is about boss damage, I don't mind 1 hit kills if i can dodge them, I do mind when the same attack can take away 1/4 of my life and the next same hit, instant death with full health, this is very obvious against the "fire giant" (boss right after the fire spider boss)

It depends on how it hits you. If it scrapes your side or hits you with the very tip of its attack it obviously does less damage than when it hits you head-on.

aguspal:
I dont know man.

For the little I TRIED (key word) to play the pc version of this game, it seemed a tad boring. But I only played around 10 minutes or so, I didnt gave it much of a chance... But then again, thats because I dosnt really seem to want that chance, because of the fucked up camera controls, the ingame cursor (I LOLīD when I saw that. Classic) and Then theres the whole XBOX buttons instead of the pc ones... Umm, yeah. Bad port much? I could deal with Binary Domain pretty quickly, in fact It was only the first half an hour or so that I couldt dominate the controls, after that I was more then fine and completed it in the hardest difficulty with little trouble (Then again thats not saying much, the game is rather easy. Very.)

For a game thats famous for its difficulty, I excepted the pc port to have accuarate controls, at the very least...

I guess the main problem is that the game really needs a controller. I cannot imagine playing it any other way. If you manage to get one, give the game another chance.

The port for PC was really much more like an emulator: you can play the game exactly as it is on consoles on your computer. It is still the best version of the game (specially with the resolution fix), but I understand that it might not be enough from the perspective of a joystickless PC gamer. :)

zinho73:

aguspal:
I dont know man.

I guess the main problem is that the game really needs a controller. I cannot imagine playing it any other way. If you manage to get one, give the game another chance.

The port for PC was really much more like an emulator: you can play the game exactly as it is on consoles on your computer. It is still the best version of the game (specially with the resolution fix), but I understand that it might not be enough from the perspective of a joystickless PC gamer. :)

"Joystickless PC gamer" haha, thats funny now that you said it. Its a bit weird too because I started gaming with a PS1... But I always want to play my PC games with the classic keyboard + Mouse. I just think it has to be that way (Luckily I dont like fighting games/ Hack and Slash games so no problem with those).

Maybeeeee someday I will plug in my joystick for PC and give this game another chance, I guess.

aguspal:

zinho73:

aguspal:
I dont know man.

"Joystickless PC gamer" haha, thats funny now that you said it. Its a bit weird too because I started gaming with a PS1... But I always want to play my PC games with the classic keyboard + Mouse. I just think it has to be that way (Luckily I dont like fighting games/ Hack and Slash games so no problem with those).

Maybeeeee someday I will plug in my joystick for PC and give this game another chance, I guess.

I'm a fan of the keyboard and mouse myself, but I'm beginning to understand that some control schemes on certain games are simply much better with controllers. I guess that's to be expected when we want varied experiences, but takes some getting used to...

lapan:

yaydod:

That's what the status screen is for and if you level up, it displays the changes a stat gives you in the level up screen.

I think you misunderstood me, for example the harden spell for pyro, it says that it increases your defense etc.. but it does not show up in the stats, and when a buff shows up (like the one on the dragon sword) i didn't see any variations in stat screen either.

lapan:

It depends on how it hits you. If it scrapes your side or hits you with the very tip of its attack it obviously does less damage than when it hits you head-on.

The funny part is that i failed dodge his previous attack but i was next to his "arm" not under it, healed up back to full health, after failing another dodge (still full health) he kills me with the same attack animation.

zinho73:
Not above, no. The problem is that the difficulty is so integral to the game experience that it would not be Dark Souls anymore. It would play like a totally different game.

Whatever the case, how does it matter in any way? A difficulty setting is merely an option - it's not like you would have to use it yourself.

I only played it a couple of times, but from what I've played, it's basically just dodging...and pretty much just dodging with some evasion.

Tried playing it on the PC, but the controls were just shitty as fuck.

I've always wanted to play a more sombre, ambient old school RPG that doesn't try to be Lord of the Rings filmed by Michael Bay.

yaydod:

lapan:

yaydod:

I think you misunderstood me, for example the harden spell for pyro, it says that it increases your defense etc.. but it does not show up in the stats, and when a buff shows up (like the one on the dragon sword) i didn't see any variations in stat screen either.

lapan:

The funny part is that i failed dodge his previous attack but i was next to his "arm" not under it, healed up back to full health, after failing another dodge (still full health) he kills me with the same attack animation.

I guess you mean Ceaseless Discharge. I usually lure him over the cliff because he is very hard to defeat otherwise thanks to his high damage. He oneshots you even with some of the better armors.

King Billi:

It completely goes against the whole spirit of the game. The game is about being without any kind of solid assistance (why they opted for no online "co-op mode"), in a world that is mysterious and where you can only rely on your wits. Add an easy mode and you may as well throw in a map, or perhaps a companion.

zinho73:

aguspal:

zinho73:

I'm a fan of the keyboard and mouse myself, but I'm beginning to understand that some control schemes on certain games are simply much better with controllers. I guess that's to be expected when we want varied experiences, but takes some getting used to...

Agreeded. I too understand this, but even thougt I just KNOW I will have a better experience playing the game with joystick, I just wanna use the good old Keyboard/Mouse.

Again, it helps that I usually avoid the games where the joystick is considerated a must use, such as fighting games and Hack and slash, plus I dont like them so why would I want to play them in the first place, lol. And I guess some racing games, too, except I DO like those and for one occasion I did use a joystick (Flatout 1 and 2, great games)...

But I get the feeling this is getting off topic. Shame because it was a fun conversation, XD.

Smertnik:

zinho73:

Whatever the case, how does it matter in any way? A difficulty setting is merely an option - it's not like you would have to use it yourself.

I talked a little bit about it on the op.

Part of the sense of accomplishment is doing things in a different way or in a more efficient way than others. Or even doing things that people do not think are even possible, like beating a boss naked.

After beating the game once, this sharing experience with the community goes a long way to give the game longevity and replayability. If it is possible for a player to accomplishing those same things without effort, you lose that watermark, that frame of reference of what'a a challenge and what is not.

Granted, this is a very subjective thing, but that's part of the beauty of this game, it is really not obvious.

I agree that a easy setting in most games is not a problem at all, but, as Epic Name Bro said, the possibility to fail is something really important to the game ethos.

Why some people climb mountains? It is a mix of a personal challenge, the joy of the sport itself and the knowledge that not everyone can do it. That's the Dark Souls experience.

zinho73:
Why some people climb mountains? It is a mix of a personal challenge, the joy of the sport itself and the knowledge that not everyone can do it. That's the Dark Souls experience.

But you can just as well rent a helicopter to take you to the top or let someone carry you up there. That fact does not take away the accomplishment of climbing a mountain by yourself, just as the existence of lower difficulty settings doesn't diminish the "bragging rights" of higher ones.

Also, on a personal note: if the game had an easy mode I would probably have succumbed to it, robbing myself of the true experience of the game.

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD!

On the very first boss, on the undead asylum, I simply did not understand what I had to do and died numerous times until I finally beat the thing with the hilt sword. I thought to myself: "My god, this game is insanely difficult, this is going to be impossible to play".

My second breaking point was the Capra Demon, which I fought without resins and with an unupgraded weapon. This kind of suffering is crucial to a later part in the game when you see 12 of those guys waiting for you (and you destroy them).

If you do not want to discover those things for yourself, you can always look at youtube to see the tricks to each boss and there you have your easy mode. If you cannot execute the tricks you see on youtube than this is really not the game for you (but a lot of other games would not be either).

Smertnik:

zinho73:

But you can just as well rent a helicopter to take you to the top or let someone carry you up there. That fact does not take away the accomplishment of climbing a mountain by yourself, just as the existence of lower difficulty settings doesn't diminish the "bragging rights" of higher ones.

I agree. Those shortcuts are already in the game. Most of the bosses have very easy ways to deal with them. In some you do not even risk to get harmed. Not every game need direction arrows and glowing spots.

Seriously, in the videogame world nowadays people are just too used to the mountain coming to them.

I just have a problem with people complaining that a game "sucks because its too hard". If you cant beat the game then its not the game that sucks, its YOU that sucks! Quitting is for pussies, only if you persist will you know the true feeling of achievement.

zinho73:
snip

HEAR HEAR! SIR!. I really wish people would go halfway through the game before trying to decide whether a different difficulty is appropriate.

DarkTenka:
I just have a problem with people complaining that a game "sucks because its too hard". If you cant beat the game then its not the game that sucks, its YOU that sucks! Quitting is for pussies, only if you persist will you know the true feeling of achievement.

And you know what? I'm one of those pussies. I love fighting games but I'm terrible at them, so I always go to the easy settings first thing.

I'm really happy that such a thing as easy settings exist. I just do not agree that every game needs them. Some games are made to be leisurely enjoyed and some games are made to be conquered.

And I also agree that some games can be a mix of the two. But not all.

Capcha: real mccoy!

Hmm, putting aside the sometimes unfair deaths (fuck anyone who says all deaths are fair, I have several examples if anyone wants to test me) later on the difficulty felt kinda samey...

If there is a doorway, there will be one guy ahead of the doorway and two in the blind spots to the side of the doorway. To punish the idiots who rush after the one they can see. This happens extremely often, it just gets boring to be honest. You play the game long enough to read what the game is going to do, which to some people is good but if they are really going for difficulty then wouldn't it make sense to switch up the tricks a tad?

It's still a good game don't get me wrong but I would like the level of trickiness of Sen's Fortress applied to whole game but in smaller doses pretty much.

Also would it kill them to make the story elements somewhat noticeable on your first,second or even third playthrough? No and don't tell me to look at the wiki, if I have to read a wiki to understand the majority of the story and characters you're clearly doing it wrong.

There's having a subtle underlying story then there's having fuck all happen. In fact I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up before the Gargoyles because you have literally no motivation to go through all this shit. Apart from the basic "this shit will not beat me" mentality you may or may not have.

Out of curiousity, would everyone agree with having an easy mode if the current (default regular game not NG+ or NG++) was the easy mode? I would be totally fine with that but Im curious what others would say.

I agree that the game definately doesnt need to be accessible to everyone, at least not in a way that isnt done already. Everyone can play it, everyone can practice against fights and play the same game. There are tons of strategy videos and full walkthroughs/lets plays on youtube. Not to mention 2 very well done wiki's. The only real thing hurting the experience right now IMO is all the PVP twinks

There is something to be said about being able to finish a game that other people cant. I mean I cant for the life of me finish Ninja Gaiden (the original) despite thousands of hours put into it but I take some ammount of pride in the fact that I could finish Dark souls. I could hack it and some gamers cant. Maybe thats a little selfish but no more so then people wanting the game to be easier for them

I still say the game should have more save points. If I've already proven I can get passed an area, being forced to go through it again is not going to do anything but raise my blood pressure.

I applaud what Dark Souls is doing, but I think, sometimes, people are holding on to the wrong things.

Furthermore, if you say that Dark Souls is all about the difficulty, and sacrificing that would diminish it, then you can't really praise the story, setting, etc. (not saying you would, just for instance).

The desire for an "easier" mode is rooted in an urge to see that rest of the game without the difficulty. If you claim that shouldn't be done, then you're insinuating that those things are without value. Only the difficulty is noteworthy.

yaydod:
It is true it is fun to stroll around and find things out by your own, true, but i find it slightly obnoxious if you have to check out FAQs to get basic info.

This is my main problem with Dark Souls. Information that should be fairly standard and easy to access is completely absent from this game, and we have to resort to guessing and compiling hit-and-miss data on outside wikis. I don't want maps and walkthroughs and that kind of hand-holding, but detailed item stats? Straight-forward answers about faction rewards? This isn't rocket science.

Still, I guess you can't have a perfect game. Maybe the next Souls game will learn even more from user feedback.

The Wykydtron:
Hmm, putting aside the sometimes unfair deaths (fuck anyone who says all deaths are fair, I have several examples if anyone wants to test me) later on the difficulty felt kinda samey...

If there is a doorway, there will be one guy ahead of the doorway and two in the blind spots to the side of the doorway. To punish the idiots who rush after the one they can see. This happens extremely often, it just gets boring to be honest. You play the game long enough to read what the game is going to do, which to some people is good but if they are really going for difficulty then wouldn't it make sense to switch up the tricks a tad?

It's still a good game don't get me wrong but I would like the level of trickiness of Sen's Fortress applied to whole game but in smaller doses pretty much.

Also would it kill them to make the story elements somewhat noticeable on your first,second or even third playthrough? No and don't tell me to look at the wiki, if I have to read a wiki to understand the majority of the story and characters you're clearly doing it wrong.

There's having a subtle underlying story then there's having fuck all happen. In fact I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up before the Gargoyles because you have literally no motivation to go through all this shit. Apart from the basic "this shit will not beat me" mentality you may or may not have.

I kind of like the WTF is going on thing of the beginning, but I get what you are saying. :)

Even following the story is different in this game (most of it are in the items description) and sparse NPCs dialogue.

I also don't think that the game is perfect and several aspects of it can improve (including difficulty, which could be toned down in a few cases but could also easily be even higher in several spots), but a whole dedicated easy mode is something largely unnecessary.

Krantos:
I still say the game should have more save points. If I've already proven I can get passed an area, being forced to go through it again is not going to do anything but raise my blood pressure.

I applaud what Dark Souls is doing, but I think, sometimes, people are holding on to the wrong things.

Furthermore, if you say that Dark Souls is all about the difficulty, and sacrificing that would diminish it, then you can't really praise the story, setting, etc. (not saying you would, just for instance).

The desire for an "easier" mode is rooted in an urge to see that rest of the game without the difficulty. If you claim that shouldn't be done, then you're insinuating that those things are without value. Only the difficulty is noteworthy.

Imagine a beautiful girl that is pretty hard to get. The difficulty is not the girl - what you want is the girl but the difficulty would make a stolen kiss an even more rewarding accomplishment.

Windcaler:
Out of curiousity, would everyone agree with having an easy mode if the current (default regular game not NG+ or NG++) was the easy mode? I would be totally fine with that but Im curious what others would say.

I agree that the game definately doesnt need to be accessible to everyone, at least not in a way that isnt done already. Everyone can play it, everyone can practice against fights and play the same game. There are tons of strategy videos and full walkthroughs/lets plays on youtube. Not to mention 2 very well done wiki's. The only real thing hurting the experience right now IMO is all the PVP twinks

There is something to be said about being able to finish a game that other people cant. I mean I cant for the life of me finish Ninja Gaiden (the original) despite thousands of hours put into it but I take some ammount of pride in the fact that I could finish Dark souls. I could hack it and some gamers cant. Maybe thats a little selfish but no more so then people wanting the game to be easier for them

I think Dark Souls should be one game. It really works beautifully like that. The unifying experience makes the whole "difficult" way more interesting.

zinho73:

On the very first boss, on the undead asylum, I simply did not understand what I had to do and died numerous times until I finally beat the thing with the hilt sword. I thought to myself: "My god, this game is insanely difficult, this is going to be impossible to play".

My second breaking point was the Capra Demon, which I fought without resins and with an unupgraded weapon. This kind of suffering is crucial to a later part in the game when you see 12 of those guys waiting for you (and you destroy them).

If you do not want to discover those things for yourself, you can always look at youtube to see the tricks to each boss and there you have your easy mode. If you cannot execute the tricks you see on youtube than this is really not the game for you (but a lot of other games would not be either).

Looks like you missed some crucial tactics on the first few bosses, making it MUCH harder than it needs to be XD

I remember when my friend showed me demons souls, he thought i was going to be destroyed on the first few levels. What he didnt know was that i play last gen games and further fairly often. So like you siad, my "correct skill set" was fairly well honed XD

Like you said, the games really not that hard, you just have to play it slowly, which i did once i saw how much damage a hit from an enemy takes from you!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked