Worst review I have seen in a long time (borderlands 2)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Moonlight Butterfly:

For.I.Am.Mad:
Because he typed the words 'Call of Duty'? Is that why it's a horrible review?

It's because he compared it to Call of Duty, it's nothing like COD. It's more like Diablo or Torchlight with guns.

To be fair of course you can compare it to CoD, there's nothing inherently wrong or incorrect about that. They are both in the same genre and share similar mechanics, of course there are other big differences too which should be commented upon.

It's the style and fuzzy-logic of this particular WSJ review which makes it so poor.

GoaThief:

Moonlight Butterfly:

For.I.Am.Mad:

It's because he compared it to Call of Duty, it's nothing like COD. It's more like Diablo or Torchlight with guns.

To be fair of course you can compare it to CoD, there's nothing inherently wrong or incorrect about that. They are both in the same genre and share similar mechanics, of course there are other big differences too which should be commented upon.

It's the style and fuzzy-logic of this particular WSJ review which makes it so poor.

Sorry but I disagree COD is a pure military first person shooter. Just because Borderlands has guns and a first person perspective doesn't mean that it invites comparison. The intrinsic gameplay (Heavily loot based, open world, co op multiplayer,) and role playing elements of BL2 make it a completely different type of game.

The rest of the article also sucks but I was trying to explain to the person who I quoted why mentioning COD was ridiculous.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Sorry but I disagree COD is a pure military first person shooter. Just because Borderlands has guns and a first person perspective doesn't mean that it invites comparison. The intrinsic gameplay (Heavily loot based, open world, co op multiplayer,) and role playing elements of BL2 make it a completely different type of game.

You shoot mostly hitscan weapons from a first-person perspective using very similar controls (regardless of platform). One "feels" a lot better in this respect due to more fluid player movement, weapon and target response and sadly it's not the one with the much longer single-player campaign.

See, I made a completely valid comparison there.

Perhaps instead of sharing the awful review where people will give it attention and the man publicity, you ought to have left it undisturbed.

You'll just have the Rebecca Black (poor girl) and Troupes verses Soupes effect.

I didn't know people regarded Borderlands 2 as a gritty FPS. Surely the graphic aesthetics means that it's more than a 'fps'. So why are they being compared for criticism sake? You can compare anything for research, but never for review as they're two different things.
It's like comparing a wolf and a dog for a candidate for being a pet. They're too similar looking animals but one is a wild animal and isn't domesticated. The other is.

It's like saying using Magic or Bows in any TES games makes them a first person shooter.

GoaThief:

Moonlight Butterfly:

You shoot mostly hitscan weapons from a first-person perspective using very similar controls (regardless of platform). One "feels" a lot better in this respect due to more fluid player movement, weapon and target response and sadly it's not the one with the much longer single-player campaign.

Not really COD is made to be a realistic modern military shooter, Borderlands has rpg elements and uses skill points so your initial experience of the game isn't that character at it's peak with the best guns. The only way you could safely compare it is with a maxed out character.

It's not a fair comparison.

I would point out that while the review is shockingly lol-filled to us, surely its actually quite a decent review to those who typically read the Wall Street Journal? Or has the demographic for that changed recently?

Gunner 51:

Faladorian:

Agreed. There are far worse things out there than somebody not enjoying your favorite game, reasons aside.

Krantos:

Gunner 51:
*snip*

I think you're misunderstanding what people are finding funny about it. It's not his opinion that's funny, it's the reasons he gave.

To put it succinctly, he seems to have misunderstood what the game was. The fact that he repeatedly compared it to COD and Halo indicates that those titles are the benchmarks he's holding the game up to. The problem with that is they are totally different genres. They may have similar mechanics, but they are not in the same genre.

COD and Halo are action focused FPSes. That's what they do. Thus, they are, by nature going to be more immediately engrossing than Borderlands, because that isn't what it's trying to do. Likewise with multiplayer. COD and Halo are focused on competitive multiplayer. Thus, they have more diverse multiplayer modes. Borderlands is only focused on co-op multiplayer so it doesn't stand up as a competitive multiplayer title.

He compared Borderlands 2 to COD and Halo on their terms, which, of course lead to Borderlands looking bad, because it's not trying to do the same things as they are.

I actually like COD and Halo (I don't like their communities, but the games themselves are good), and found Borderlands a bit dull (I can only have fun playing as Lilith). But this review was WAY off.

A guy in my office put it best, imo. His review was like going into Taco Bell and calling it the worst burger joint ever.

@Krantos: I'd have to beg to differ on there are several genres of FPS. A first person shooter is a first person shooter to me. Just because Borderlands maybe set in a dreary wasteland doesn't make it any more or less an FPS than the futuristic looking Halo, or gritty setting Modern Warfare. Whether it is an action packed FPS or not, it's still an FPS. The reviewer was simply using his own experience and trying to compare it to that.
I totally have to grant you that as a competitive multiplayer title, Borderlands 2 simply doesn't stand up to the fast and fluid pacing of a Call of Duty game. In addition, it's community will beat the CoD community hands down in terms of friendliness, IMO.
But let's not rip into the reviewer too much, his review might highlight his own inexperience with games. It's like laughing at the elderly when they fall off a skateboard in an attempt to keep up with the younger generation - it's a bit cruel.

@Faladorian: Thanks, I try to see both sides of the coin. It's just not worth getting one's wig off because they disgree with a small issue. Live and let live, I say.

And COD doesn't even have a shot at comparing char progression, weapon variety and enemy variety.

Comparing COD and Halo to Borderlands is so asinine it shows a downright lack of understand of the subject matter. It is like going to see a romantic comedy and then judging it on principals of Sci-fi thriller.

They are mechanically, thematically and aesthetically different things. Going "they are FPS. Therefore comparable" is just so dumb. Is Mariokart comparable to grand tourismo? They are both racers.

No is yelling at COD. COD does its thing very well. Its just not the same thing as Borderlands. Apples and Oranges. And only one without any sort of understanding of games would compare the 2 on such a lose principal.

Moonlight Butterfly:
Not really COD is made to be a realistic modern military shooter

It's not, COD is an arcade military-themed shooter. A realistic military shooter would be ArmA or similar.

Borderlands has rpg elements and uses skill points so your initial experience of the game isn't that character at it's peak with the best guns. The only way you could safely compare it is with a maxed out character.

Who said it wasn't a high-level character? Sorry but it's a perfectly fine comparison, you may not like Borderlands being compared in any way, shape or form with CoD but you can as long as it's done fairly and with reason unlike the article in question.

Even saying that they are different in certain respects is a comparison, you realise? Every time you say "Borderlands has X, and COD has Y" you're still making a comparison. I don't see how you can honestly say that the two are absolutely, in no way at all, comparable.

GoaThief:

Moonlight Butterfly:
Not really COD is made to be a realistic modern military shooter

It's not, COD is an arcade military-themed shooter. A realistic military shooter would be ArmA or similar.

Borderlands has rpg elements and uses skill points so your initial experience of the game isn't that character at it's peak with the best guns. The only way you could safely compare it is with a maxed out character.

Who said it wasn't a high-level character? Sorry but it's a perfectly fine comparison, you may not like Borderlands being compared in any way, shape or form with CoD but you can as long as it's done fairly and with reason unlike the article in question.

Even saying that they are different in certain respects is a comparison, you realise? Every time you say "Borderlands has X, and COD has Y" you're still making a comparison. I don't see how you can honestly say that the two are absolutely, in no way at all, comparable.

They aren't they are a completely different genre of game.

If I was doing a review I wouldn't even mention COD because it has nothing to do with Borderlands. To do so would be confusing and misleading to the consumer. :/ It sounds like you are just trying to be pedantic now.

Moonlight Butterfly:

They aren't they are a completely different genre of game

They aren't completely different genres of game!

One has RPG elements and quests, yes. The other is more linear, has big set-pieces and pacing. Both are still first person shooters, the core element of both; shooting enemies from a first person perspective mostly using hitscan weaponry. They are different flavours of first person shooter, we could pigeonhole them into subgenres if we wanted to be pedantic, but they are definitely first person shooters.

If you wanted to argue Mirror's Edge wasn't a First Person Shooter you might have a case, but Borderlands? No. It's a FPS through-and-through. You were the person who said we cannot compare the two, remember. Of course we can, if done correctly unlike the review.

GoaThief:

Moonlight Butterfly:

One has RPG elements and quests, yes. The other is more linear, has big set-pieces and pacing. Both are still first person shooters, the core element of both; shooting enemies from a first person perspective mostly using hitscan weaponry. They are different flavours of first person shooter, we could pigeonhole them into subgenres if we wanted to be pedantic, but they are definitely first person shooters.

If you wanted to argue Mirror's Edge wasn't a First Person Shooter you might have a case, but Borderlands? No. It's a FPS through-and-through. You were the person who said we cannot compare the two, remember. Of course we can, if done correctly unlike the review.

Thta's kind of what I meant, Saying someone shouldn't buy Borderlands 2 'because COD' is just meaningless, the two games are nothing alike except for the fps factor. I certainly wouldn't use COD as my go to comparison in a review like this guys has done.

As a review it is very detailed and what I expect in a review. However, t is painfully obvious that this is a topic for which he has too little experience to do justice reviewing. That is not a snobby statement, it just appears he has stepped into video gaming in the present generation and as a result is comparing it to (and reviewing it for) the most recent generation.
For those of a similar mindset to him it is probably an accurate description, but for more veteran individuals or those with tastes beyond this generation it is woefully lacking.

I was laughing but then my brain started hurting.
Im sorry but that was just so much dumb, this is the kinda thing we need to get used to now though with people who have only played games like CoD.

I went and I replied to his review...to prove that those of us with estrogen find the game incredibly fun. And to tell him that while he can not like the game, he also apparently straight up played it like an FPS which was the wrong thing man...I just wanted to cry...

It is okay I guess..he can go be teabagged in Halo by 13 year olds when it comes out. I won't stop him.

GoaThief:

The weapons aren't hitscan in Borderlands btw.

Sure you can make a valid comparison to CoD, but you shouldn't be basing your entire review around it. What this review says can be summed up in a single sentence: "Borderlands 2 is unlikely to appeal to the fans of CoD or Halo, since it lacks a large-scale multiplayer mode.". That right there would be a perfectly fine and informative statement to include in any review. You've got to then expand on that and try to suggest what sort of players it would appeal to. These players obviously exist, because the original Borderlands was hugely successful despite having itself competed with its own generation of CoDs and Halos. The reviewer seems to pass over this as a historical curiosity.

Most obviously lacking is the simple question: would this appeal to fans of the original Borderlands? You can't be taken seriously as a professional reviewer without addressing a basic question like that in some form or another.

GoaThief:

Moonlight Butterfly:

Call of Duty is Borderlands as Sim City is the Sims. Being of the same basic genre or containing similar elements doesn't always grant a reasonable comparison. For example, it'd be absurd to compare a single engine hobby plane to a jumbo commercial aircraft. They exist for different reasons, fulfill different roles and need to be judged by different criteria.

"This single engine plane is not as good as this jumbo jet, because it can only carry two people. Buy a jumbo jet instead."

reithena:
I went and I replied to his review...to prove that those of us with estrogen find the game incredibly fun. And to tell him that while he can not like the game, he also apparently straight up played it like an FPS which was the wrong thing man...I just wanted to cry...

It is okay I guess..he can go be teabagged in Halo by 13 year olds when it comes out. I won't stop him.

Actually, all humans have estrogen (and testosterone). Men and women just have different levels of them and, in fact, lacking either one entirely will either cripple you in some very serious ways or kill you.

Just putting that out there, because a number of people don't know it. Spreading the knowledge!

Boudica:

reithena:

Actually, all humans have estrogen (and testosterone). Men and women just have different levels of them and, in fact, lacking either one entirely will either cripple you in some very serious ways or kill you.

Just putting that out there, because a number of people don't know it. Spreading the knowledge!

Yes, I knew that, but thanks for the correction anyway!

Either way, us with more estrogen still like intense fast paced games, just as the ones with more testosterone.

reithena:

Boudica:

reithena:

Either way, us with more estrogen still like intense fast paced games, just as the ones with more testosterone.

Yup, yup! My boyfriend bought be Borderlands 2 and I've been playing the hell out of it. Loved the first one and love this one (so far). I am, sadly, one of those affected by the strange frame rate issues. My rig is an absolute beast and should be able to handle Borderlands 2 with miles to spare, but for whatever reason, some of us get quite poor FPS. It also doesn't matter what settings we use or what modifications we do to the .ini; the lowest possible settings yield an identical frame rate to the highest possible settings.

Interestingly, running Fraps and recording while playing increases our frame rates, often by double. The issue seems to be the game only using about half the available GPU and CPU. It's unplayable for some, but it's fine for me. My FPS with Fraps running hovers around 60, dropping to 40 or so here and there. It makes for a somewhat choppy experience, but it's far from unplayable.

Will no doubt be fixed soon and I can continue enjoying the awesome game ^^

Boudica:

reithena:

Boudica:

Yup, yup! My boyfriend bought be Borderlands 2 and I've been playing the hell out of it. Loved the first one and love this one (so far). I am, sadly, one of those affected by the strange frame rate issues. My rig is an absolute beast and should be able to handle Borderlands 2 with miles to spare, but for whatever reason, some of us get quite poor FPS. It also doesn't matter what settings we use or what modifications we do to the .ini; the lowest possible settings yield an identical frame rate to the highest possible settings.

Interestingly, running Fraps and recording while playing increases our frame rates, often by double. The issue seems to be the game only using about half the available GPU and CPU. It's unplayable for some, but it's fine for me. My FPS with Fraps running hovers around 60, dropping to 40 or so here and there. It makes for a somewhat choppy experience, but it's far from unplayable.

I bought it on PS3 first(I normally wait a little while for them to fix the bug in PC) but even there I'm having issues, so don't worry your not alone. If my husband opens up a menu screen or a shop the game will just lag and I will die. Or if we get to far from one another the quality will go way down.

However, I am loving it anyway! And we are adapting to play around these little issues.

reithena:

Boudica:

reithena:

I bought it on PS3 first(I normally wait a little while for them to fix the bug in PC) but even there I'm having issues, so don't worry your not alone. If my husband opens up a menu screen or a shop the game will just lag and I will die. Or if we get to far from one another the quality will go way down.

However, I am loving it anyway! And we are adapting to play around these little issues.

Well shit. I didn't know the issues spread to at least one console. Luckily (for some :P) I hear the vast majority of people get a flawless experience.

Here's hoping they get a PS3 and PC fix so we can continue our awesome adventure in even better quality ^^

Boudica:

reithena:

Boudica:

Well shit. I didn't know the issues spread to at least one console. Luckily (for some :P) I hear the vast majority of people get a flawless experience.

Here's hoping they get a PS3 and PC fix so we can continue our awesome adventure in even better quality ^^

I'm sure it will get straight. And when it does I plan on getting it for Steam too. I didn't build a gaming machine for nothing! XD

reithena:

Boudica:

reithena:

I'm sure it will get straight. And when it does I plan on getting it for Steam too. I didn't build a gaming machine for nothing! XD

Oh you simply must! The PC version is gorgeous. The menus and interface is also made for PC use (unlike the first). They really went out of their way to make a PC game, not a port. It's fantastic. As soon as this issue gets ironed out, definitely grab it on Steam.

Boudica:

reithena:

Boudica:

Oh you simply must! The PC version is gorgeous. The menus and interface is also made for PC use (unlike the first). They really went out of their way to make a PC game, not a port. It's fantastic. As soon as this issue gets ironed out, definitely grab it on Steam.

So I have seen! And not going to lie, I am super excited. It will be great if I get this new job and have some time to play as well...reducing a commute time does amazing things for game time.

Borderlands has an overly complicated story? SERIOUSLY? Obviously somebody has never player any of the Metal Gear games.

It's not just that this is a bad review of a game that I enjoy; as many have said on this thread already he's entitled to his opinion. However, this person is writing for the Wall Street Journal and he has the writing style of some grade school kid going off on a wild tangent.

I am by no means a professional writer, and even I can go though this thing and rip it apart piece by piece. If for nothing else, to show how not to write any sort of review or article.

I absolutely LOVE this part

GAunderrated:
Salvador the so-called "Gunzerker,"

Uh....yea gunzerker. Why is this "so-called"? Is there some debate over what his class name is?

My favourite part is where the reviewer suggests that added value for money in a $60 game is to have addition DLC content available...which costs more money to play.

How does that even make sense?

I don't read reviews from non-gamers. They miss the point.

From the comments here, i see i was correct.

P.S. I do have a bit of a gripe with BL2 tho, the inventory this time around is way clunkier than it needs to be :(

Also the beginning lvls are boring...hard to roll new classes when you cant stand playing through the first 5 lvls

End on a high note, the Loot in this game is super.

What is this Bordered Lands? Ha ha ha the kids are into it!

GoaThief:

Moonlight Butterfly:

I respectfully disagree (although I do see where you are coming from). You could compare all of these FPS I am about to list, although the majority of them are very different gameplay wise except for the fact they are guns in the first person. Each game has also personally given me a different experience.

- Bioshock series
- Borderlands series
- COD series
- Team Fortress 2
- Left 4 Dead series
- Fallout 3/NV
- Killing floor

For me it is hard to compare any of those games to COD since they all have wildly different experiences for me.

I read that the other day and face palm'd pretty hard.

I'm sorry, I could get past the second paragraph, this review actually made me sick to my stomach.

Russirishican:
I'm sorry, I could get past the second paragraph, this review actually made me sick to my stomach.

Really? Care to elaborate? I'm actually just curious because while it is the worst review I have read in a long time. I got some weird pleasure out of reading this train wreck of a review.

GAunderrated:

Russirishican:

Really? Care to elaborate? I'm actually just curious because while it is the worst review I have read in a long time. I got some weird pleasure out of reading this train wreck of a review.

It made me sick because I know that not only does the person who wrote this genuinely believe everything he said, but because a great many people who read it will actually believe him, simply because its the WSJ.

CoL0sS:
PS: Also, English is not my main language, but something about wording and general composition of the review seems off to me.

It's not just you, the review definitely has a "stream-of-consciousness" quality to it. As people keep asking, "who writes like that?"

For.I.Am.Mad:

It's nothing to do with Call of Duty, really. Trying to make the same types of comparisons with just about any other game would have been as bad because his comparisons are ridiculous. They betray an unacceptable lack of understanding of what the fuck he's even playing. Among other things, "It's not Call of Duty" would not be a good criticism of Age of Empires III and it is not a good criticism of Borderlands II. You could make valid comparisons between BLII and CoD, but this guy just didn't. It is not his opinion or ranking of any of those titles that is the problem.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here