Worst review I have seen in a long time (borderlands 2)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

See what happens when dry right wing financial rags try to talk like they know video games and video game culture?

GunsmithKitten:
See what happens when dry right wing financial rags try to talk like they know video games and video game culture?

I don't see how that is really relevant to the topic at all. It isn't a bad review because of his political views, but rather how poorly he wrote the review and the poor comparisons he made.

I could easily flip it to the other "side" and it would hold just as little importance.

IT's funny to see a non-game player review a game. The fact that he compares the game so much to COD or Halo shows how little he gets it. I would compare the game more to Diablo (with guns).

I bought the game new and I am enjoying it more than the first one. Co-op is great and the game is lots of fun, which is what I want out of a game.

"cutting-edge development, engrossing campaign gameplay, scads of downloadable content, a rich social media/community experience, sharing of loot and gear and online multiplayer modes that keep you and your friends coming back until the next version of the game comes out."

Isn't that basically what CoD's been doing the past 10 years?

this was hilarious, but i think he truly believed it wasn't that great which is fair enough.

I actually thought the game was a piece of crap too, I returned it the day after I got it. It was boring, plain, and basically a rehash of the last game with some new bits and bobs. I'm kinda hearing the same thing across the board from a lot of people, but I guess if you like it you like it?

cue the hate.

lordmardok:
I actually thought the game was a piece of crap too, I returned it the day after I got it. It was boring, plain, and basically a rehash of the last game with some new bits and bobs. I'm kinda hearing the same thing across the board from a lot of people, but I guess if you like it you like it?

cue the hate.

You should actually read the review, it's wild stuff. It's like the guy doesn't know any more about video games then you can learn from reading the boxes at Gamestop. And the comparisons he makes to other games are totally wat.

My favorite part is the "scads of downloadable content" part. This bonehead is just shouting "RIP ME OFF! ME, ME, OVER HERE!"

And I'm not one to disappoint, so here goes: haaaAAATE!

GAunderrated:
The game's opening sequence reminds you that Borderlands' developers chose to go the animation route, and I don't like it very much.

Oh, they went the "animation route". Unlike all those other games that aren't animated whatsoever. It's called cel-shading...

Overall, I wouldn't be so mad at this if it were billed to parents and posted on Common Sense Media, but when a self-professed "gamer" compares a solid triple-A franchise sequel to a $30 NASCAR game because it didn't have 16-player multiplayer (as shooters are all required to do apparently) on the WALL STREET JOURNAL website, than he should really be considering changing his career.

Also, Medal of Honor? Really?

I haven't heard anything this funny since...

But in all seriousness, the review in question is either an excellent practical joke or simply narrow minded. I don't care if you like Borderlands 1 & 2 or if you think the single-player campaign is tedious and boring, but I would like a review of the actual game, and not a comparison between it and Call of Duty of all things.

[facepalm] Multiplayer... [/facepalm]

Now, back to Borderlands 2...

Blade_125:
IT's funny to see a non-game player review a game. The fact that he compares the game so much to COD or Halo shows how little he gets it. I would compare the game more to Diablo (with guns).

I bought the game new and I am enjoying it more than the first one. Co-op is great and the game is lots of fun, which is what I want out of a game.

First person Diablo with guns. On acid. In SPACE!

For.I.Am.Mad:
Because he typed the words 'Call of Duty'? Is that why it's a horrible review?

More because he used Halo and Call of Duty as his only points of critical reference while also displaying huge gaps in knowledge when it came to gaming. For example, saying that multiplayer is a requirement for a good FPS, thinking that BO2's 16-player games are extremely large, and using the word "super-hip".

I for one, haven't played the game, and I didn't mind his negative opinion of it, I did mind his horrible excuse for criticism.

GiantRaven:
My favourite part is where the reviewer suggests that added value for money in a $60 game is to have addition DLC content available...which costs more money to play.

How does that even make sense?

It makes even less sense when you consider that BL1 had an absolute crapton of DLC, and with a season pass already being sold for BL2, it's fairly safe to assume that BL2 will have even more.

TheKasp:
This here is still the best Borderlands 2 review / first impression that there'll ever be:

Don't know about that. Guy clearly has no patience for a first person title that tries to put a story together. No, the polygon people will not shut up, because this game has RPG elements and they stand as quest-givers. If you want to play a shooter where only honest-to-God crucial stuff is said, go back to playing Halo or CoD.

Or, well, that's what I'd tell him.

Just came back from watching a stand up comedy show which I laughed my ass off till my sides hurt. This was a great ending to my night of laughter. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm in tears. Also, loving every second of Borderlands 2 :)

Andrewtheeviscerator:
Yeah I read that I laughed. Honestly the guy is perfectly entitled to his opinion and I respect him if he doesn't like the game.

I don't mind the fact that he doesn't like the game, but immediate comparisons to COD and complaints about no multiplayer (remember when co-op was considered multiplayer?) make me groan and assure me he's missed the point.

I mean, disclosure: I love this game so much it completely bypasses my normal disdain for FPS. But if your measure of a game is not being what it's not supposed to be, something's wrong.

Not going to attack him or anything, because I think the gaming community throws too much shit as it is, but still. This review is kind of bad in that the thrust of it is stuff like "It's not COD."

Also, I'm not having trouble finding my way around. I will re-emphasise that I dislike the first person perspective and kind of suck with it, but I'm managing to navigate these "blocky, cartoonish" graphics fine. The levels have rarely confused me at all, and even then, I've never stayed confused for long. I'm trying to pull a "lol, I have no problem therefore there is no problem," but it baffles me that someone at all used to first person perspective would find themselves more lost than someone who isn't. I thought maybe "Oh, he's used to COD and the like with fairly linear deals," but he mentions Skyrim, so....

I don't know, the review seems like a bad one. Fair play to people who just don't like the game, but....

Draech:

And COD doesn't even have a shot at comparing char progression, weapon variety and enemy variety.

Comparing COD and Halo to Borderlands is so asinine it shows a downright lack of understand of the subject matter. It is like going to see a romantic comedy and then judging it on principals of Sci-fi thriller.

They are mechanically, thematically and aesthetically different things. Going "they are FPS. Therefore comparable" is just so dumb. Is Mariokart comparable to grand tourismo? They are both racers.

No is yelling at COD. COD does its thing very well. Its just not the same thing as Borderlands. Apples and Oranges. And only one without any sort of understanding of games would compare the 2 on such a lose principal.

I don't think it's that big a stretch to compare a game to another based upon mechanics. Mario Kart is indeed comparible to something like Forza. Both involve racing vehicles around a circuit. But while something like Forza and Gran Turismo may go for realism - Mario just goes for the cartoonish approach. But the rules and mechanics are similar, win the race by coming in first position. Anything else, is window dressing.

Borderlands isn't that different to any other FPS - you play in a first person perspective and your goal is to mangle anything that stands in your way with a variety of guns. Looting, good or bad writing, set pieces are all window dressing to me.

I know that to your (and seemingly a lot of other's) perspective - I am oversimplifying things. But that's just the way I classify my games. I fail to see why so many people are getting their wigs off because one guy goes against the grain in the way he classifies games. It's not like he's spouting racial or religious hatred.

If gamers fail to respect, understand and have the patience an outsider's point of view - even if it goes against our consensus, especially when he doesn't have much experience of games. It doesn't just make us look like an intolerant and immature bunch - it makes it so.

Actually, the reviewer makes some pretty valid points. Borderlands is trying to coax people into spending hours playing the game at a time, trying to recreate the same addiction that is the staple of MMORPGs.

*emerges from the ground*
Egh God, the sun hurts.
I uhh... what?
Oh reviewer, and uhh, Call of Duty?
Yah okay.
*delves back into another marathon of Pandora looting*

Bless, he tried.

Gluzzbung:
Actually, the reviewer makes some pretty valid points. Borderlands is trying to coax people into spending hours playing the game at a time, trying to recreate the same addiction that is the staple of MMORPGs.

Must be that 'fake fun' I'm experiencing.

Jjtricky:
OP: Are you part of the Gearbox forums? That is how I discovered this review. EDIT: Glossed over the penultimate line, sorry!

OT: Check the comments: Went through the first 100 and everyone is SLAUGHTERING him! Rightfully so as well, as his opinion is BL2 is not part of a COD franchise or a COD clone, so therefore inferior.

Idiot.

He writes for the Wallstreet Journal, what'd you expect? Wallstreet is all about making the moneyz, and COD makes the most, therefore it is the only one that matters.

GoaThief:

Moonlight Butterfly:

Sorry but I disagree COD is a pure military first person shooter. Just because Borderlands has guns and a first person perspective doesn't mean that it invites comparison. The intrinsic gameplay (Heavily loot based, open world, co op multiplayer,) and role playing elements of BL2 make it a completely different type of game.

You shoot mostly hitscan weapons from a first-person perspective using very similar controls (regardless of platform). One "feels" a lot better in this respect due to more fluid player movement, weapon and target response and sadly it's not the one with the much longer single-player campaign.

See, I made a completely valid comparison there.

Da fuck are you on about?

The reason that it doesnt feel better is because you are trying to shoot like you would in a hitscan game, in boarderlands you have to lead if you are at anything resembling range.

Jimothy Sterling:
What is this Bordered Lands? Ha ha ha the kids are into it!

Also, Thank god for Jim!

Gunner 51:

Draech:

And COD doesn't even have a shot at comparing char progression, weapon variety and enemy variety.

Comparing COD and Halo to Borderlands is so asinine it shows a downright lack of understand of the subject matter. It is like going to see a romantic comedy and then judging it on principals of Sci-fi thriller.

They are mechanically, thematically and aesthetically different things. Going "they are FPS. Therefore comparable" is just so dumb. Is Mariokart comparable to grand tourismo? They are both racers.

No is yelling at COD. COD does its thing very well. Its just not the same thing as Borderlands. Apples and Oranges. And only one without any sort of understanding of games would compare the 2 on such a lose principal.

I don't think it's that big a stretch to compare a game to another based upon mechanics. Mario Kart is indeed comparible to something like Forza. Both involve racing vehicles around a circuit. But while something like Forza and Gran Turismo may go for realism - Mario just goes for the cartoonish approach. But the rules and mechanics are similar, win the race by coming in first position. Anything else, is window dressing.

Borderlands isn't that different to any other FPS - you play in a first person perspective and your goal is to mangle anything that stands in your way with a variety of guns. Looting, good or bad writing, set pieces are all window dressing to me.

I know that to your (and seemingly a lot of other's) perspective - I am oversimplifying things. But that's just the way I classify my games. I fail to see why so many people are getting their wigs off because one guy goes against the grain in the way he classifies games. It's not like he's spouting racial or religious hatred.

If gamers fail to respect, understand and have the patience an outsider's point of view - even if it goes against our consensus, especially when he doesn't have much experience of games. It doesn't just make us look like an intolerant and immature bunch - it makes it so.

I am sorry but the game is mechnically different, aesthetically different and thematically different.

To compare it on bases it is not trying to cover while glossing over the bases it is covering is like going Appollo 13 was a crap movie because there was no aliens in it and the plot had a hollywood ending.

"Extremely lacking in multiplayer"
Let me proceed to tear the guy to shreds. How could you be a part of that mindless COD crowd? This disappoints me. Humanity does not deserve these kinds of people.

Fasckira:
I would point out that while the review is shockingly lol-filled to us, surely its actually quite a decent review to those who typically read the Wall Street Journal? Or has the demographic for that changed recently?

Actually, it is not. A review for the Wall Street Journal's demographic would be expected to simplify its descriptions, and assume no prior knowledge whatsoever - not make wildly inaccurate statements.

Regardless of audience sophistication, a reviewer needs to know what he is talking about in order to write a measured, objective, and well argumented review explaining why something would or would not be enjoyable for certain audiences.

Right now, this review is none of that: its argumentation is solely made up from the author's biases and misconceptions, and mostly serves to showcase a degree of incompetence that can only be described as laughable.

He talks as though he's knowledgeable of gaming trends and current industry conventions, and yet he says absolutely everything that would make any gamer laugh uncontrollably.

I call troll. The Wall Street Journal is clearly only doing this to increase traffic and publicity.

i originally was disgusted by how much this reviewer embodies what is wrong with games today (all games MUST have online multiplayer as their primary feature and all first person shooters MUST be cod clones). while i am no less disgusted with this reviewer, after reading the comments people have been leaving on his review page...i cant help but feel a little bad for the guy

Hey, the guy is entitled to his opinion. It's just hard to take it seriously when his main point of comparison is CoD. I have no problem with CoD but you just can't compare the two.

Also, 3400 comments on his review? Damn, I don't know if the expression "there's no such thing as bad publicity" applies in this case.

Pretty sure this is just plain nerd baiting, which has proved to be successful.

Only a pure bred moron would write that article with a straight face but is anybody really this stupid? Comparing COD multi player to borderlands multi player fucking really!?

One is co-op and the other is competitive ... it's like comparing a team building excersize with tennis.

So what's the solution here? Cry and rage all over the Internet about how dumb that review is? And then the review page gets a lot of undeserved views, the news talks about the rage and how immature gamers are all over the world. Then guys like Movie Bob will defend this kind of review because "artistic journalism" and all that. Lastly, in the end, the author and reviewer gets undeserved fame.

I ignoring this topic, I wanted this thread to just die, but apparantly, people here are to stupid to realize how pointless and counter productive it is to rage about this. Yeah, the review was god awful, so what?

I think the real idiots here are the people making a big deal about this and are only encouraging more reviews like this to happen.

Gunner 51:

Well, if this guy were a fifteen year old telling his friends at school about Borderlands 2 then that would be fine. However, this man is actually getting paid to write "professional" reviews such as this and it offends anyone that understands the entertain medium in question.

Would it be okay the compare Killer Elite to Pulp Fiction? They're both movies about professional hitmen that shoot people, so they must be the same genre, right? To a twelve year old that just likes violence I could see how these movies might be similar, but to anyone with any familiarity with the art form, to compare these two is absurd.

Could we compare Opeth to Green Day? They both make with the distorted guitars, singing, bass, and drums, so they must be similar, right?

People ARE ALLOWED to be ignorant of things, but when they are they should NOT be getting paid to write about them.

42:
"cutting-edge development, engrossing campaign gameplay, scads of downloadable content, a rich social media/community experience, sharing of loot and gear and online multiplayer modes that keep you and your friends coming back until the next version of the game comes out."

Isn't that basically what CoD's been doing the past 10 years?

So they've been doing that before the original was released?

comparing boderlands to CoD is like comparing...

well i dunno apples and hammers, both are quite good at what they do but you cant put them side by side and tell which is better

kijebe:
comparing boderlands to CoD is like comparing...

well i dunno apples and hammers, both are quite good at what they do but you cant put them side by side and tell which is better

Comparing Borderlands 2 to COD is like comparing Romeo and Juliet to A Midsummers Night Dream.

Sure both plays were written by Shakespeare and involve romance but there the similarities end. One is a tragedy which could have happened in the real world (baring the 'deathstate' poison) the other involves wacky hijinks between fairy's.

Both games are First person perspective and involve guns but that's where things end, one goes for the gritty realistic route with a focus on realism. The other has squeaky voiced midgets as opponents and one of its draws is the ability to find sniper rifle minigun.

You can't really compare the two.

CannibalCorpses:

Well it's certainly true of the first game so why not the second?

uhhh...because they are different games?

Borderlands 2 is actually just as enjoyable single player...and I fidn the setting/stroy a bazillion more interesting that "derp military things going on" <-of coarse thats mostly personal preference

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked