Torchlight 2 - classes, specs and the whole experience

Like a lot of you I've been playing Torchlight 2 for a 'couple' of hours by now and I thought: Why not make a thread to discuss your specs, classes and strategies in regard of difficulty? And just to be a nice example I start:

I knew that I'd have at least one mate to play with so I chose the engineer (a little tanky specced) because he has a few really usefull buffs and crowd control spells. After I realised that in the way I wanted him to play anthing besides sword and shield sucks I rerolled and now I can present a lvl 31 Engineer (on Elite) with the following spec:

Stats: I pour all my points in strength and vitality. Since I add a lot of resistances vitality does a good number on my surviveability.

Skills:

Blitz: Seismic Slam, Ember Hammer and Coup de Grace.

This is a no-brainer. Ember Hammer breaks shields and is an 180 attack. Together with the Seismic Slam AoE stun and Coup de Grace you can basically kill all the little guys in one strike.

Construction: Healing Bot

HP, Mana and more resitances. What more do I want? Again, a no-brainer.

Aegis: Shield Bash, Force Field

Shield Bash is a neat skill. It can be used to do decent damage to enemies that manage to get you out of melee range. With 5 charges it hits for quite a lot, also can be used to get out of sticky situations or save a friend / get one enemy out of the pack.
Force Field is just pure gold. Without any charges it gives you and your teammates more defense when engaging in combat, since it is my only skill that takes charges it can later on guarantee your survival (right now it gives me a 2500 damage absorption bubble on my 2400 hp with only 8 points into it).

My experience on Elite solo and team:

Team: You need resitances. A lot of them. Enemies do more damage and you need to be able to survive a decent amount of time without having potions bound to every key. And since it only gets harder you need more. The advantage: Your buddies don't need to focus too much on survivalability and can either go damage or damage/support. Since you are going to annoy the bosses and hard enemies to the extent that they won't let go of you you save them a lot of deaths... But be sure they are willing to help you get the resitances you need.
I am looking forward though because on Elite we weren't able to finish even one Spectral Beast Challenge in Act 2 nor were we able to kill the Gold Crab in time... Or even get it under 70% in the time they want you to kill it.

Solo: There I was surprised. At the beginning it was slow and tedious to go out alone, enemies took forever to kill as well as they took forever to kill you. But now, with all those skilly I described, something changed for me. I kill bosses and giant packs of enemies really fast without the reliance on potions. As I write this I killed the boss of the first area in Act 2 and if I would not have been that hasty I could've done it without one single potion. An encounter where my buddy died a ton when he did it solo. Champions don't do jack to me, all the other enemies die in my Seismic Slam / Ember Hammer combo and my pet can summon an army by now to support me as well.

So how was your eperience? Do you play alone or in a team? What do you play and how do you play it?

I play an engi as well, but I use cannons. I can clear mobs really really fast with healing bot/heavy lifting/coup de grace/fire and spark/blast cannon. Stun em, next hit they die. Only prob is, gear drops have been abysmal (had a grey till 21, nothing above blue I could wear yet) so I die fast when surrounded. But, once that improves I'll be invincible!

I guess this is an Engie party. Yeah, I'm pretty much building my dude up the exact same way you are, Kasp. I put a point into Focus every other level just to keep up with the increased mana cost of the healbot as you improve it. I'm not too far in, though. I prefer to play it co-op, so I generally just wait until one of my friends are on. These kinds of games tend to get lonely and dull when I play them by myself for too long. Though Torchlight 2 might be good enough to avoid that problem. It really is great. I love this innovative feature they have: An "Offline mode". Whodathunkit?

But yeah, Engie is amazing. Heals, buffs, lots of damage, and shield shattering.

This. Game. Is. Awesome

As for me I've only played for around 4 hours so I'm currently level 16. Outlander.

So far I've put most of my points into Glave throw, Akimbo and Dodge. With a few points here there in other things that I was trying out. I'm going for a crit build since that's my best chance the do damage. The glave is there because its an awesome attack.

But yeh, so much better than Diablo 3

i reached the point where my heal bot replaced mana fast enough that i use that 270 degree swing as a main, and ember hammer and overload jump as seconds.

when your hitting 3000 damage on a crit, and criting 25%+ its awesome

Also an Engy here, focused on being supah durable while also dealing good enough damage to progress quickly. Maxing healbot, stomp, heavy lifting, spider mines, and armor bonus, with single points in leap, flame hammer, coup de grace, and probably sledgebot once I get there. Working out well so far.

Playing as a frost damage Embermage, feels pretty glass cannon, but usually I don't get hit in the first place due to my massive AoE damage and escape skills

Frost Skills: Icy Blast, Hailstorm, Frost Phase, Elemental Boon, Ice Prison

Storm Skills: Death's Bounty, Prismatic Rift, Wand Chaos

My damage commonly comes from first casting Hailstorm to stun enemies and insta-kill any weakling, then spamming Icy Blast that occasionally SUMMONS METEORS FROM SPACE thanks to Wand Chaos passive.

While I use Frost Phase extremely often, I don't invest too many points on it because I use it as an escape blink, not as gap-closer nor AoE damage.

Mana is a real problem with my build, but Death's Bounty has lessened my mana troubles lately when smartly cast.

DustyDrB:
I guess this is an Engie party. Yeah, I'm pretty much building my dude up the exact same way you are, Kasp. I put a point into Focus every other level just to keep up with the increased mana cost of the healbot as you improve it. I'm not too far in, though. I prefer to play it co-op, so I generally just wait until one of my friends are on. These kinds of games tend to get lonely and dull when I play them by myself for too long. Though Torchlight 2 might be good enough to avoid that problem. It really is great. I love this innovative feature they have: An "Offline mode". Whodathunkit?

But yeah, Engie is amazing. Heals, buffs, lots of damage, and shield shattering.

Reached Act 3 today, also playing with a friend. Amazing game in coop especially since every class has something to offer for your mates. My outlander-mate provides me with an area that heals and increases my armor and also gives me a percentage of his charge bonus. Though it is incredibly hard until now (need to push my gear again) I find it really rewarding. Going to test the ultimate skills with my playstyle but tend to go Sledgebot for reliable damage.

Also, my pet by now is a beast. It summons basically an army of death while dealing out and taking enough to tank champions.

Currently at lvl 54 with my Outlander. Wrecking shit up on Elite difficulty with a spell focused spec.

Warfare skills: Rune vault, for getting out of enemy fire and charges.

Lore skills: Glaive Throw and Flaming Glaive. Killing loads with + 128% poison spell dmg.

Sigil skills: Stonepact, Shadowmantle and Shadowling Brute.
Master of elements and Shadowling Ammo.

Current stats:
Strength - 63
Dexterity - 95
Focus - 202
Vitality - 120

Mana reg - 5 + 4% of 200.

I enjoy my Glaive Throw crits above 14 <3

Oh, forgot to add. Use two pistols with extra crit dmg and mana on hit.

I'm playing a PrismaticBrand EmberMage.
Prismatic Beam (Think that's the name)
Elemental Attunement
Fire, Frost, and Lightning Brands.
Elemental Boon

I'm building two variants of the above core.
1st: Normal mode character with Staff Mastery to eliminate all defense the enemy has.
2nd: Elite character with a wand and shield because enemies hurt my face. I may still get staff mastery if the points allow and just reactively draw my shield.

Both also have the Frost-blink-thing because mobility is mandatory.
Both will likely pick up fire aura for the 15% damage mitigation and Death's Bounty.

Only level 17 on each right now but the damage I can deal seems impressive so far, remains to be seen what steps I need to take to handle mana and defense.

Been playing from the time we were able to link our steam accounts with a group of four friends. We've been planning this awhile. I'm the ranged tank/healer/buffer (my teammates are a melee tank engineer, a pure AoE DPS embermage, and a utility/single target DPS outlander. We play on Elite), and this is how I roll:

Cannon spec Engineer. More of a "mobile fortress" spec for my pets and teammates, really. I'm level... forty-something now.

Stats I pretty much reserve for when I find equipment that I can't equip. I regularly walk around with 50+ unspent points. I'm mostly strength right now (recently found a cannon that's above my level... and awesome), but I've spent into the other three fairly evenly.

From my cannon, I demand mana drain. Or slots I can put mana draining stuff into. Either way, I use the shotgun blast of it on grouped enemies to refill my mana. From my armor, I pretty much just demand armor class and resistances. Equipment comes and goes very quickly when you always play with four people.

Blitz:
Heavy Lifting, maxed, that's all. Helps me stun everything wiiith:

Construction:
Blast Cannon, left at level 1. Massive spam line AoE with knockback and stun effects from this with minimal mana cost at 120% of my weapon DPS. No extra levels means no resistance debuffs and such.

Healing Bot, Maxed. No-brainer. Free regen for health and mana, plus an armor boost to anyone in range.

Fullisade, maxed. Handy for firing into confusing particle-storm 360 degree melees. Also, I was tired of having unspent skill points.

Bulwark, maxed. Another no-brainer for a tank class.

Aegis:
Force Field, maxed. This and my healbot are why I'm a mobile fortress. Any time any of my teammates aren't in a force field, I'm not doing my job properly.

Aegis Of Fate, maxed. Works like an automatic oh shit button any time things start to go south. I'm always the one to live when we "wipe" (we've never wiped completely).

Norrdicus:
...then spamming Icy Blast that occasionally SUMMONS METEORS FROM SPACE thanks to Wand Chaos passive.

I love how the tooltip for that skill basically says "X% chance for crazy shit to happen"

No hint on what that might be, just to prepare you for weird things, I guess.

OT: I've been splitting my time between my embermage and my 'Zerker. My zerker is nigh unkillable with a dex focus as my crit is so high I regen health faster than most bosses are able to dish it out. Plus turning into a giant wolf and run around putting bleeds on everything and watching them just plop over is always a hoot.

Its a little more difficult on my mage since she's purely my co-op character with my friends, and since there are 5 of us that play together every battle is pure cluster-fuckery, and I have no idea if I'm doing a good job or not since everything just always dies. I do however like the Chaos Bolt thing from the lightning tree, just spamming a million homing missles all the time is fun.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked