Resident Evil trivia session!

Foreword: This isn't about RE6 specifically or the demo. If anyone comes here to say 'RE6 will be/demo was shit', I am going to kick you in the throat.

Anywho! I've heard a lot of people say that the Resident Evil storyline is horribly convoluted, illogical, aaaaand other adjectives! So since RE6 is going to be coming out soon, I figured I should share my knowledge with the world! Or at least the Escapist. Same diff.

I've played every Resident Evil game (Even the GBC game about Barry) and read almost (if not every) hidden file and report in those games as well as having read a few of the book series (Even that non-canon series written by that woman who has a major hardon for Rebecca...)

Basically the point of this thread is...Ask any question that anyone has about the RE universe, story, or characters! I'll probably have an answer for you. It'll probably be correct, too!

Kopikatsu:
...as well as having read a few of the book series (Even that non-canon series written by that woman who has a major hardon for Rebecca...)

S.D. Perry.

Her novels aren't anything particularly special, but they're still pretty entertaining if you're a big fan of the series. Personally, I liked the "Aliens" novels by Steven and Stephanie Perry better... but that's just me.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Kopikatsu:
...as well as having read a few of the book series (Even that non-canon series written by that woman who has a major hardon for Rebecca...)

S.D. Perry.

Her novels aren't anything particularly special, but they're still pretty entertaining if you're a big fan of the series. Personally, I liked the "Aliens" novels by Steven and Stephanie Perry better... but that's just me.

Isn't it kind of sad that I can describe her as 'the woman with a hardon for Rebecca' and you know exactly who that is?

Edit: Sad for her, not you.

Kopikatsu:
Isn't it kind of sad that I can describe her as 'the woman with a hardon for Rebecca' and you know exactly who that is?

It is, kinda. I mean, it's not like the Resident Evil universe is lacking in side characters. It makes sense for the book written for RE0 that Rebecca is the main focus... but for all of the spinoff novels like, say, "Caliban Cove" she could have gone with pretty much any other main protagonist character and it still would have worked.

Still, I get it though. Female, youngest (18 years old during the first game) member of the mostly male-dominated Raccoon City branch of S.T.A.R.S., and apparently a genius (going by lore... not by in-game evidence... heh). It's unsurprising that she'd be the author's favorite character.

I've always gotten a bit of a kick out of her comment in REmake noticing that all of the medical supplies in the Spencer Estate are made by Umbrella. She must have really bad short-term memory.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Kopikatsu:

It is, kinda. I mean, it's not like the Resident Evil universe is lacking in side characters. It makes sense for the book written for RE0 that Rebecca is the main focus... but for all of the spinoff novels like, say, "Caliban Cove" she could have gone with pretty much any other main protagonist character and it still would have worked.

Still, I get it though. Female, youngest (18 years old during the first game) member of the mostly male-dominated Raccoon City branch of S.T.A.R.S., and apparently a genius (going by lore... not by in-game evidence... heh). It's unsurprising that she'd be the author's favorite character.

I've always gotten a bit of a kick out of her comment in REmake noticing that all of the medical supplies in the Spencer Estate are made by Umbrella. She must have really bad short-term memory.

Eh. Maybe she doesn't consider the medical supplies she jury rigs to be 'made' by her because the components are all Umbrella stuff.

Anywho, speaking of side characters...how'd you feel about Jake? I have no idea why they made him. Alex Wesker could have fit that role perfectly without coming across as a huge asspull (Wesker's son? Really?).

Alex Wesker was the guy that Spencer sent to go find the secret to immortality, and Alex found it...predictably, he took off with the secret. That would have tied into the whole 'Your blood is special/the cure' thing they had going, too. Maybe they just forgot about him?

Kopikatsu:
Eh. Maybe she doesn't consider the medical supplies she jury rigs to be 'made' by her because the components are all Umbrella stuff.

Anywho, speaking of side characters...how'd you feel about Jake? I have no idea why they made him. Alex Wesker could have fit that role perfectly without coming across as a huge asspull (Wesker's son? Really?).

Alex Wesker was the guy that Spencer sent to go find the secret to immortality, and Alex found it...predictably, he took off with the secret. That would have tied into the whole 'Your blood is special/the cure' thing they had going, too. Maybe they just forgot about him?

I admit I don't know a whole lot about Jake. From what little I do know, I dislike his introduction to the series. I agree that it would have been far more logical to feature Alex... but I think the Resident Evil series has been veering sharply away from logic quite a bit for a while now - and that's saying a lot for a series that started off as a big homage to 70's/80's horror movies. But yeah... he's definitely an asspull character, much like Billy Cohen was in RE0... or honestly, RE0 in general.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Kopikatsu:

I admit I don't know a whole lot about Jake. From what little I do know, I dislike his introduction to the series. I agree that it would have been far more logical to feature Alex... but I think the Resident Evil series has been veering sharply away from logic quite a bit for a while now - and that's saying a lot for a series that started off as a big homage to 70's/80's horror movies. But yeah... he's definitely an asspull character, much like Billy Cohen was in RE0... or honestly, RE0 in general.

But everyone loved Marcus Leechy! Except for the leech piles that would smack you in the face from across the room like a Bandersnatch.

Anywho, didn't RE0 have co-op? I seem to remember it...

Kopikatsu:
But everyone loved Marcus Leechy! Except for the leech piles that would smack you in the face from across the room like a Bandersnatch.

Anywho, didn't RE0 have co-op? I seem to remember it...

Ugh. The leech queen. The monster itself was fine, but whenever it was in its Marcus form it felt ridiculously out of place within the series... which is saying a lot for a series that has you regularly fighting gigantic evil versions of animals just for the hell of it.

I don't think RE0 had a Co-Op mode, at least not in the original GameCube release which I have. There's just the single player story and a single player Mercenaries-esque challenge mode that unlocks weapons and whatnot for New Game+ playthroughs of the story. Co-Op probably would have worked pretty well in the game, though.

I don't really recall any of the Resident Evil games having Co-Op in the main series before RE5. I've missed pretty much all of the spin-offs though. The only one I've had the (mis)fortune of playing was RE:Gaiden for GameBoy Color. I never had a PS2, Wii, or DS... so that locked me out of pretty much all of those games.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked