So I installed the Morrowind Overhaul Mod...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

...the shiny new one that just got released. I've been playing for about 10 minutes so far, and I have to say, it's like coming home. :)

Now I played a hell of a lot of Morrowind when it came out ten years ago. I was at college at the time and the game blew my mind. There was so much freedom. I'd often have a conversation with a fellow player during class and would often find myself saying 'You can do that?!'.

And now, I can't wait to get out and explore a world that is both new and familiar, all at the same time.

So, is anyone else playing this? Thoughts?

Way to be late to the party bro. Been playing Overhaul since 1.0.

*Takes off hipster glasses*

Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time. If this thread turns into a fan circle-jerk I will approve.

Fappy:

Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time. If this thread turns into a fan circle-jerk I will approve.

Yeah well they have to be able to test it on losers like you. :P

Yeah I've only gotten a truly decent gaming rig this year and I've been distracted by all the shiny young bucks.

Blunderboy:

Fappy:

Yeah well they have to be able to test it on losers like you. :P

Yeah I've only gotten a truly decent gaming rig this year and I've been distracted by all the shiny young bucks.

I like to think my PC is pretty good, but Overhaul is so awesome I actually had to turn off two of the shaders to get a stable FPS :(

EDIT: At work so I don't have access to all of my screenshots, but I did manage to find one of a Khajiit slave I took with Overhaul 2.0-

I need to actually install the overhaul. I've installed many of the mods that are in it by themselves, but never the actual thing.

Fuck, I want to play Morrowind again. But I have too many other games to play. This has been my same situation for a little over a year now. Eventually I'm just going to have to say fuck it and play it again.

It just so happens that I have 2 weeks of holidays coming up.

Originally I was planning to do swaggerific stuff like going outside to fuck bitches and live my life, but luckily for this mod I have my priorities straight.

Sign me up.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Originally I was planning to do swaggerific stuff like going outside to fuck bitches and live my life, but luckily for this mod I have my priorities straight.

Sign me up.

Kids these days could learn a thing or two from this.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Sign me up.

Oh smash. This might be the best post I have ever seen on these forums.

Did they just make it look pretty or did they fix the shite on a bike combat?

Eddy-16:
Did they just make it look pretty or did they fix the shite on a bike combat?

Combat mechanics were tweaked from a balance standpoint (if you opt to use the fixes), but the combat is still very much the same. I don't really mind it, though I admit it is the game's main weak-point.

Also, just in case you are interested in Morrowind (you should be) and you don't have it right now, it's half of on steam right now. You're welcome.

Finished installing it the other day on max settings with a pretty good FPS. Dear god this looks incredible.

Mine keeps crashing though it could be the sheer amount of stuff I had running in the background.
My mind keeps saying "It's an old game, you can run loads of things at the same time."

I always find it so hard to get in to morrowind because the start is so slow. Does this help to fix that at all?

UBERfionn:
I always find it so hard to get in to morrowind because the start is so slow. Does this help to fix that at all?

Not really, However i do agree, pushing through the beginning is the hardest part.

Darmy647:

UBERfionn:

Not really, However i do agree, pushing through the beginning is the hardest part.

It's the reason why I've never got past the opening. I'd really love to play it, Oblivion and Skyrim are two of my favorite games.

UBERfionn:

It helps a lot if you make a Nord with the Steed starsign, and Athletics as a major skill. Your starting walk speed is faster than my normal Bretton build's running speed 10 levels in. I personally enjoy my build's poor speed, because it's just another aspect of the character I can improve while playing.

The other bitch of a hurdle is the combat system. As long as you understand it's all dice rolls based on your character's skills, it's a lot easier to swallow. I think a lot of people tried the game expecting an action hack-n-slash and were surprised by the amount their character would miss attacks.

OT: how much of the game is changed beyond the graphics OP? I still enjoy vanilla Morrowind like no other, so I'm not interested in most of the tweaks these mod packs throw in. The mod pack I last used changed some of the random loot boxes and barrels, so that more potions would drop, including mana potions (something the vanilla game lacked a lot of).

Signa:

UBERfionn:

It helps a lot if you make a Nord with the Steed starsign, and Athletics as a major skill. Your starting walk speed is faster than my normal Bretton build's running speed 10 levels in. I personally enjoy my build's poor speed, because it's just another aspect of the character I can improve while playing.

The other bitch of a hurdle is the combat system. As long as you understand it's all dice rolls based on your character's skills, it's a lot easier to swallow. I think a lot of people tried the game expecting an action hack-n-slash and were surprised by the amount their character would miss attacks.

I disagree with having athletics a major skill. Yes, it does make the early levels much easier, but you will end up leveling a lot faster than you would with athletics as a misc. skill, and thus get less out each level. However, I think that the only thing Morrowind players will agree on as far as designing a character goes is that the artronach is seriously overpowered, especially for non magic characters.

I finished downloading the overhaul a couple of seconds ago and purchased Morrowind yesterday so... here comes fun!!!

ohnoitsabear:

Signa:

UBERfionn:

I disagree with having athletics a major skill. Yes, it does make the early levels much easier, but you will end up leveling a lot faster than you would with athletics as a misc. skill, and thus get less out each level. However, I think that the only thing Morrowind players will agree on as far as designing a character goes is that the artronach is seriously overpowered, especially for non magic characters.

I never would recommend it to someone wanting to play that character for the long-haul (at least if they like to ban buying training, as I do), but if he's having a hard time getting into the game because it's slow, then that's a great place to start. Either you have him never play it, or he gets stuck with Athletics and possibly enjoys the game.

EDIT: Misread the line about leveling too fast. This isn't like Oblivion at all. Oblivion made it so that if you leveled your major skills 10 times, that was it, you got all the bonuses you were allowed for that level. In Morrowind, you can keep getting more bonuses if you just don't rest. In Oblivion, if you leveled your major skills 20 times, and then slept, you would get the bonuses for the first level, and then sleeping again would give you the bonuses you earned for the second. In Morrowind, the first sleeping would grant bonuses from both levels earned, and then sleeping again would grant you no bonuses, unless you went out and leveled more misc skills. I've played characters that I wasn't ready to level up until they were 30 major skill levels too high. I can get around the game with never resting, so it was never a concern to under level.

Even so, there is no auto-scaling in Morrowind, so you can under-level a lot, and it won't hurt you. My first character took plenty of 1x-3x because I didn't understand how I could get 5x bonuses. She still kicked ass in the end.

Have they made the map any bigger or is it still just as claustrophobic? I couldn't stand Morrowind coming from Daggerfall, same with Oblivion, Skyrim is still small but somehow bearable.

The 2011 mod did make the game pretty, but the gameplay still turned me off :\

Still, if there's another update, I can at least download it and grind awhile while taking screenshots.

octafish:
Have they made the map any bigger or is it still just as claustrophobic? I couldn't stand Morrowind coming from Daggerfall, same with Oblivion, Skyrim is still small but somehow bearable.

MWO3.0 itself doesn't, but there are mods to add things, like the Tamriel Expanded project.

Speaking of Daggerfall, I REALLY want to, but I can't get into that game. I think a lot of it is how labyrinthine even the most modest of dungeons is, and I have a hard time reading the map.

I'd love to get soaked into the other TES games like I did with Skyrim. I have to say, though, I despise the class system after the free-form of Skyrim, but minor quibble overall.

The one thing I found most beneficial is to head to balmora first. There's a khajit in balmora who owns a pawn shop. Murder him and use his house as your home. Why? Guards only want 90 gold for his murder. Quick house, easy murder.

What sort of rig is needed to run this at full glory? I recently downloaded Morrowind off Steam (50% off? HELL YEAH!) but I have a crappy lappy and am unsure if I can run something that sexy.

Well..i have 8gb ram, Intel i7, gtx 660, and im getting 50 fps. So id say a beefcake of a PC.

Morrowind on steam? blasphemy I still have all my original discs in beat up absurdly used and working beautifully condition :|

neverarine:
Morrowind on steam? blasphemy I still have all my original discs in beat up absurdly used and working beautifully condition :|

I was but a lowly console gamer until recently D: I only have my 360 version but the load times have become unbearable D:

oh god please stop mentioning that Morrowind is ten years old, it makes me feel old
and i will probably try this once come weekend

Signa:
I never would recommend it to someone wanting to play that character for the long-haul (at least if they like to ban buying training, as I do), but if he's having a hard time getting into the game because it's slow, then that's a great place to start. Either you have him never play it, or he gets stuck with Athletics and possibly enjoys the game.

EDIT: Misread the line about leveling too fast. This isn't like Oblivion at all. Oblivion made it so that if you leveled your major skills 10 times, that was it, you got all the bonuses you were allowed for that level. In Morrowind, you can keep getting more bonuses if you just don't rest. In Oblivion, if you leveled your major skills 20 times, and then slept, you would get the bonuses for the first level, and then sleeping again would give you the bonuses you earned for the second. In Morrowind, the first sleeping would grant bonuses from both levels earned, and then sleeping again would grant you no bonuses, unless you went out and leveled more misc skills. I've played characters that I wasn't ready to level up until they were 30 major skill levels too high. I can get around the game with never resting, so it was never a concern to under level.

Even so, there is no auto-scaling in Morrowind, so you can under-level a lot, and it won't hurt you. My first character took plenty of 1x-3x because I didn't understand how I could get 5x bonuses. She still kicked ass in the end.

You can keep getting bonuses for levels after you level ten major and minor skills? That is good to know. It probably won't affect my playstyle much, though, because I press the rest key a lot (maybe in my next character I could limit myself to only resting in beds, that would be interesting).

I agree that under-leveling isn't a huge deal, but there is some level scaling in Morrowind (mostly it affects random bandit cave loot and low level monster spawns in exteriors and ancestral tombs) that can make it more difficult for under-leveled characters. Blighted cliff racers can be a bitch if you aren't prepared for them. But, in the long term, it really won't matter too much.

Also, yay for not being the only person that refuses to use training!

Edit: whoops forgot to put this in. If it's a choice between somebody getting into Morrowind with an athletics focused build versus not getting into it at all, I would totally recommend the athletics build. It's just that if you do it, you should understand why it's not the ideal build.

Since you guys are talking about some meta game silliness I guess I can expose one of my greatest trade secrets in this game. Make Acrobatics a minor skill and jump everywhere you go for the first 15-20 hours of the game. Not only will you actually go faster, but you'll also level up Strength faster. Only downside is that you'll be totally winded if you run into enemies, but if you stick to the roads you generally don't run into anything too powerful.

Morrowind has always been a game that I love but can't like.
I like the lore, the tension between species, the vast differing landscapes, a lot of things about the game are just grand.

However the one thing I hate and will keep me away from the game is the combat, it ruins the game for me. I just don't like how it works and the animation doesn't help it either.
Well, at least there's LPs so I can still enjoy the game.

Fappy:
Since you guys are talking about some meta game silliness I guess I can expose one of my greatest trade secrets in this game. Make Acrobatics a minor skill and jump everywhere you go for the first 15-20 hours of the game. Not only will you actually go faster, but you'll also level up Strength faster. Only downside is that you'll be totally winded if you run into enemies, but if you stick to the roads you generally don't run into anything too powerful.

Oh I already do that. It's even better as a misc skill. If it starts at level 5, there's just that much more to increase. It helps a lot with my playstyle, because I usually go "dragoon" at first. I'm always focused on endurance until it's at 100, which means spears and medium and heavy armor for the first 10 or so levels. I need to jump if I have any hope of leveling strength, and then if I manage to not over-level another attribute, the third point goes to luck.

ohnoitsabear:
You can keep getting bonuses for levels after you level ten major and minor skills? That is good to know. It probably won't affect my playstyle much, though, because I press the rest key a lot (maybe in my next character I could limit myself to only resting in beds, that would be interesting).

yup, that has to be the biggest single flaw with Oblivion. If you want to min/max in it, you have to build your own class with skills you never plan on using. That's just fucked up. Morrowind actually lets you build your own character the way you see fit, and short of underleveling endurance, there's nothing you can do to ruin your character. Well, I suppose you could always pick 1x bonuses, but you'd have to do that on purpose. There's still things like the Bitter Cup that could change a destroyed build like that.

I agree that under-leveling isn't a huge deal, but there is some level scaling in Morrowind (mostly it affects random bandit cave loot and low level monster spawns in exteriors and ancestral tombs) that can make it more difficult for under-leveled characters. Blighted cliff racers can be a bitch if you aren't prepared for them. But, in the long term, it really won't matter too much.

That's probably the single greatest flaw in Morrowind, how you basically are a god at level 20. At least the expansions addressed that.

Also, yay for not being the only person that refuses to use training!

Edit: whoops forgot to put this in. If it's a choice between somebody getting into Morrowind with an athletics focused build versus not getting into it at all, I would totally recommend the athletics build. It's just that if you do it, you should understand why it's not the ideal build.

Yeah, I'll allow myself training for REALLY boring things like Armorer when I still need a few extra strength points, but training is like an excuse to not play the game. I thought it was kinda neat in Oblivion how they added the 5 level limit on training, or at least I did until I realized they wanted you to train things like mercantile and athletics. Otherwise, you need to run about 40 hours non-stop, and sell 10,000 individual items to max their levels. Complete waste of time.

Yeah, you want a perfect build, you go Bretton with the Atronach, magic specialization but focus on taking weapon skills. After you grab the boots of blinding speed and get a mark down by the mudcrab merchant, you're able to go anywhere and take on anything. Your skills all start really low, so they have more space to grow, but it also makes movement and combat a complete bitch for anyone who has never played the game.

Darmy647:
The one thing I found most beneficial is to head to balmora first. There's a khajit in balmora who owns a pawn shop. Murder him and use his house as your home. Why? Guards only want 90 gold for his murder. Quick house, easy murder.

You forgot to mention the best thing about Ra'virr:

If you kill him, he has both a long and short blade with a bound weapon enchant in his inventory- you can have one of the best weapons in the game (For 60 second bursts, anyway) within 5 minutes of rolling a character.

OP: I, too, jumped on this wagon when 3.0 released- my god, the things it has done to Vvardenfell! I mean, I average 13 FPS when outdoors, but it is WORTH it.

Probably the best gameplay change, though, was making the "ready magic" key a proper "cast" key- you can rebind that to RMB, and you got a decent setup for spellswords.

ohnoitsabear:

I disagree with having athletics a major skill. Yes, it does make the early levels much easier, but you will end up leveling a lot faster than you would with athletics as a misc. skill, and thus get less out each level.

I have made this mistake before, I really don't recommend athletics as a major. Sure you level very fast but miss out on all the skill progression in between. Better as a minor.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked