So I installed the Morrowind Overhaul Mod...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Verzin:

Fappy:

Eddy-16:
Did they just make it look pretty or did they fix the shite on a bike combat?

Combat mechanics were tweaked from a balance standpoint (if you opt to use the fixes), but the combat is still very much the same. I don't really mind it, though I admit it is the game's main weak-point.

I must be the only person in the world who actually likes morrowinds combat more than skyrim/oblivion.

it just....feels more fun to me. Skyrim combat gets sort of...cheesy? i dunno, i just don't like it as much.

None of the ES games really have good combat but at least I could forgive Morrowinds and Daggerfalls because being victorious in combat was mostly the result of character skill and there were actual RPG mechanics involved. Oblivion/Skyrim had better combat in terms of action gameplay, but it became tedious as fuck really fast because both the RPG mechanics and the combat mechanics were very simple and shallow. It was a really bad compromise, especially in games so heavily focused on combat. where as Morrowind/Daggerfall had alot more other things going for them.

Anthraxus:

Verzin:

Fappy:

Combat mechanics were tweaked from a balance standpoint (if you opt to use the fixes), but the combat is still very much the same. I don't really mind it, though I admit it is the game's main weak-point.

I must be the only person in the world who actually likes morrowinds combat more than skyrim/oblivion.

it just....feels more fun to me. Skyrim combat gets sort of...cheesy? i dunno, i just don't like it as much.

None of the ES games really have good combat but at least I could forgive Morrowinds and Daggerfalls because being victorious in combat was mostly the result of character skill and there were actual RPG mechanics involved. Oblivion/Skyrim had better combat in terms of action gameplay, but it became tedious as fuck really fast because both the RPG mechanics and the combat mechanics were very simple and shallow. It was a really bad compromise, especially in games so heavily focused on combat. where as Morrowind/Daggerfall had alot more other things going for them.

I would even go as far as to say that they were even in terms of action gameplay. In Oblivion/Skyrim all you can really do besides whacking the enemy is stepping out of rech before the enemy animation finishes and the attack connects.
But you could do the same thing in Morrowind/Daggerfall, only in those your athletics/speed value was also a factor whether you could dodge or not.
The only thing that's really different is that combat is *faster* in Oblivion/Skyrim. (that is, until the HP bloat catches up with you)

valium:
I am hoping for someone to do a "requiem for a wasteland" mod for morrowind/oblivion/skyrim.

That will never happen, as all three games use a different engine, sadly.

OT: Also, I managed to run it on absolute max settings with about 30 FPS. It is freaking amazing.

I just tried it tonight after playing through it years ago. i stood on the still strider platform looking out over Seyda Neen as the sun went down. first time in a long while i actually gone wow that is beautiful

for those having trouble there is the old trainer trick.. create a drain skill spell level 100 with a duration of a couple of seconds and the target being self. go vist the trainer for that skill, cast the spell open the dialogue and ta da the cost to train is now 1 gp

Been playing for the past couple of days and it's awesome. Had to turn a lot of things off because my computer sucks, but just the better heads mod makes it worth it.
Hadn't played Morrowind since I was 13-14 years old, and going from todays hand held games to that was a bit of a shock. Being stuck in the middle of the Ghostfence area with no health potions or fast travel away from there was both awful and wonderful.

Never got very far before, and when I tried getting into it a few years ago(when I played a lot of Oblivion) the graphics were just too horrible to keep my playing. Now I got a Nord with 100 in all stats. :D

When I get tired of Morrowind I'll move on to Oblivion and do an explore run, rather than following any quests. Just running from dungeon to dungeon, killing bandits and upgrading my gear as I go. Played that game a damn lot, but I don't think I've actually done that before.

GameMaNiAC:

valium:
I am hoping for someone to do a "requiem for a wasteland" mod for morrowind/oblivion/skyrim.

OT: Also, I managed to run it on absolute max settings with about 30 FPS. It is freaking amazing.

Arent people currently remaking morrowind using the skyrim engine? Could happen my friend.

Fappy:

If this thread turns into a fan circle-jerk I will approve.

Time for me to join in :D

I've been playing Morrowind almost since it came out and I have YET to install the overhaul mod. This thread has encouraged me to finally go out and do it. How difficult was it to install OP? Was it a headache or was it relatively simple? Also, does anyone know what version number the latest one is?

Wayneguard:

Fappy:

If this thread turns into a fan circle-jerk I will approve.

Time for me to join in :D

I've been playing Morrowind almost since it came out and I have YET to install the overhaul mod. This thread has encouraged me to finally go out and do it. How difficult was it to install OP? Was it a headache or was it relatively simple? Also, does anyone know what version number the latest one is?

Latest version is 3.0. It is really, really easy to install. My only problem was that the installer didn't automate the Morrowind Graphics Extender distant land generation properly, so I had to do it manually. That was no problem for me, though, as I have installed MGE several times, although I could see how that could be a problem for somebody that didn't already know how to do it.

Don't get me wrong though, it is ten times easier and faster installing it this way than installing everything manually, even if you had all of the mods already downloaded. I highly recommend it.

valium:

GameMaNiAC:

valium:

Arent people currently remaking morrowind using the skyrim engine? Could happen my friend.

Yes, but remaking one game on another engine is too much work already. Let alone remaking two of them.

GameMaNiAC:

valium:

GameMaNiAC:

Yes, but remaking one game on another engine is too much work already. Let alone remaking two of them.

Such a spoil sport. Fine, I will take my free roaming between Skyrim and Morrowind without access to Cyrodiil. Place is full of mudcrabs, disgusting creatures.

I really need to install this. I loved Oblivion and enjoyed Skyrim but have never been able to get into Morrowind. I think that having to mod the hell out of a game to make it playable isn't really a good idea...

valium:

GameMaNiAC:

valium:

Such a spoil sport. Fine, I will take my free roaming between Skyrim and Morrowind without access to Cyrodiil. Place is full of mudcrabs, disgusting creatures.

Sorry, just being realistic.

GameMaNiAC:

valium:

GameMaNiAC:

Sorry, just being realistic.

Well there's your first problem.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked