Bizarrely Easy Boss Fights

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this: GLaDOS from Portal (Original)!

Marauder Shields was incredibly easy

The Joker in Arkham Asylum was incredibly easy, and the final boss(es) of Dragon Age 2 were more busywork then an actual challenge.

Henry Leland from Alpha Protocol. Actually, practically all bosses were either piss easy or just broken. Atleast if you skilled into the Pistol tree.

Yes, I played all the way through the game.

Pretty much every boss from the end of Sen's Fortress to the final boss in Dark Souls was surprisingly easy for me, aside from the Stray Demon, who was about up to snuff for the game. Aside from that, though, none of them took me more than two tries.

Of course, the Bell Gargoyles got me so many times (at least 20) that I still had the authentic Dark Souls experience.

I also had an extremely easy time with the boss in DX:HR the OP mentioned. The first time, she just bugged out and ran into a wall repeatedly. It felt like such poor sport to kill her that I reloaded and had a less silly fight (although it was still by far the easiest in the game).

Mysterio in Spider-Man 2. Massive health bar, but all he takes is one punch.

Also, Ceaseless Discharge in Dark Souls. However, I did use the glitch...

Final Fantasy VIII: Ultimecia

I only had two limit breaker on Rinoa. One of which gave immortality (something Moon?)... well after the HP dropped down to 1 for the first time and I was able to spam them my party was immortal for the remaining fight since I had 50% chance to gain immortality... rather lulz and that wasn't even my intended tactic it just turned out that way...

Magenera:
Wilhem from Borderlands2. Hearing how difficult he is, and how he took down the last vault hunters you would think he would be a badass. Went out real quick. Also Dragon Dogma, was told the white hydra would be hard, within a few seconds using High Bolide he is done. I am forgetting a few bosses.

Especially with Tiny Tina's unique quest reward called Teapot (Corrosive Pistol).

Final boss from the same game is even easier, when done right he can't hit you.

Alduin from Skyrim, i mean fighting him on the Throat of the World was an alright boss fight, then after he fled to Sovngarde to restore his power by eating souls, I was then expecting a tough,good final battle, only for me to be disappointed as I took him down in 5 minutes. I had my hopes high for a epic final battle against Alduin, the World Eater, the Nordic God of Destruction, I mean talk about anticlimatic

only a mini-boss but this one from Bulletstorm....

For me it would have to be Dr.Ned...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

mitchell271:
So I was playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution recently and...

So, has anyone else played a game with a oddly easy boss fight?

Hmm really? I found that second boss really difficult, I didn't have Typhoon though so maybe thats why. I found the third boss extremely easy though, just 6 or 7 shots of my exploding revolver and he was down first try. Also, The Manticore boss in Torchlight 2 I found really easy even on Elite difficulty. It was weird because the enemies in the level leading up to the boss were quite challenging and then the boss was easy as hell.

Nyx from Persona 3. So apparently saving every single Soma the game gives you specifically for the final boss makes it crazy easy. Thanks for hyping it up for me Internet!

Oh and Easy in Persona 3 is way, way easier than Easy in Persona 4. That probably threw me off a bit. You know those free get out of death items the games you on Easy? I burned though them all in P4 before the halfway point. Whereas in P3 I ran out at roundabout the three quarters mark.

Also, this guy was far too easy considering what he stands for, what he protects and what he symbolises.

Magenera:
Wilhem from Borderlands2. Hearing how difficult he is, and how he took down the last vault hunters you would think he would be a badass. Went out real quick.

I feel it should be obvious, but the fact that he spouts error messages during the fight and the fact he drops a rigged power core is pretty indicative that he was weakened on purpose so you'd win to serve a scheme.

Well, the final boss fight in Skyrim, considering that simple bandits we're a bigger threat I don't see why people was afraid of that dragon to begin with. Fat chance that dragons would rule the world...

Who else, well the worm-boss thingy in Darksiders, the other bosses set up somewhat of a challenge but I was surprised when that worm demon died so easily.

Also, many bosses in Borderlands, although that's mostly because there are so many ways to exploit the game... lol.

Azmodan from Diablo 3, as a Wizard he couldn't even get near me. Belial, however, is a different story.

The Warrior from Borderlands 2, again it could be the class (Siren), but he didn't seem much of a threat, the Hyperion Ring of Slaughter kicked my arse more then the Warrior.

Alduin was never much a threat either, the three heroes just tank him, while I spam frost spells and Dragonrend. There are dungeon bosses are tougher than that scaly wuss.

The last encounter with Seymour in FFX. Boss battles in FFX were incredible tactical feats, requiring incredibly precise tactics and use of special statuses, up to the point where one of the battles before this Seymour fight involved deliberately letting your party be zombified on one turn to avoid an instant death attack the next, curing the status and healing up as much as possible in one turn and then going zombie again etc...

In particular all of Seymours fights had been ramping up, messing around with petrify all sorts of strategies as he became stronger and stronger every time...

... and then you meet him in the last most epic encounter with him and you just have to cast null element x whenever the game tells you in big letters that he's about to use element x. I had to use a walkthrough for almost every boss in the game (I was young!) but then one didn't even require a reload of pause. It's over pretty quickly too

Sacman:

But honestly those boss fights worked well... considering it did account for different play styles and left it open for the player to actually decide how to go about each fight... other than the occasional supposed to lose fight...<.<

This in many ways is pretty much true of the DX:HR bosses, in this thread, on the first page alone people have described 4 completely separate ways of owning the boss. All the bosses had stealth mechanics programmed in, they all had multiple weaknesses and strategies, they could all be typooned, they could all be stunlocked, they all be straight up shot, or defeated with well placed mines and barrel throws.

... it's just they killed you so quickly it never felt like you had time to experiment with these strategies and the battles become a horrible unfun experience in reloading. Only the last boss battle had a kill switch which is the greatest flaw and none but the last used hacking at all, but I think if they just lowered the DPS the battles would have turned out to be a lot more interesting. There's a huge amount of detail in them, it's just impossible to see.

Catfood220:
Maximillian from Valkyria Chronicles is so very easy to beat. I was surprised I struggled so much with him when I discovered this.

Wait snipers are actually useful in Valkria Chronicles??

FF12's final boss was pretty darn easy, although it is possible I overlvled trying to buy all the overpriced stuff at the store. :p

BrotherRool:

Sacman:

But honestly those boss fights worked well... considering it did account for different play styles and left it open for the player to actually decide how to go about each fight... other than the occasional supposed to lose fight...<.<

This in many ways is pretty much true of the DX:HR bosses, in this thread, on the first page alone people have described 4 completely separate ways of owning the boss. All the bosses had stealth mechanics programmed in, they all had multiple weaknesses and strategies, they could all be typooned, they could all be stunlocked, they all be straight up shot, or defeated with well placed mines and barrel throws.

... it's just they killed you so quickly it never felt like you had time to experiment with these strategies and the battles become a horrible unfun experience in reloading. Only the last boss battle had a kill switch which is the greatest flaw and none but the last used hacking at all, but I think if they just lowered the DPS the battles would have turned out to be a lot more interesting. There's a huge amount of detail in them, it's just impossible to see.

No, the biggest problem with the boss battles was the fact that all of them, without exception, are designed almost entirely around one type of character build... not specifically that they were over powered, though that was certainly part of it... It's that you had to shoot them to death, or follow the directions on how to beat them, there was no other option, sure they had specific things you could do to win, but it's so specific and requires such a uniform set of directions that there might as well not be any choice in how you handle it... might as well make the first boss only take damage from barrels or the second boss only take damage from electricity, which would still undermine the idea of unique character builds and favor specific character builds over others, which is the initial problem...

and placing mines and stun locking aren't particularly viable... unless you feel like glitching character animations and that's still poor design, but of a different sort... and stealth is about as well implemented as an axe head is in the victim of a serial murderer... it's like the stealth in Metro 2033... you're either wondering around waiting to bump into someone who than starts shooting at you... or you just use it to cry in a corner for a bit before you're spotted and the shooting begins again... there just isn't enough depth in the level design or boss AI to facilitate much in terms of stealth mechanics... not to mention the fact that the stealth mechanics themselves aren't suited well for the kind of tactics required for a boss...

You can describe as many ways as you want to beat a boss, but most of them simply aren't a viable option... even with specialization...

If hacking or platforming mechanics were actually implemented, it might've been better... but even that would just be touching the tip of how the boss fights could've been improved... I mean the boss fights from the original Deus Ex are a decent example... I mean each boss fight, wasn't particularly deep but they had their quirks and were generally accessible by any and all character builds... mostly due to the fact that they were basically just stronger regular enemies... I mean a well designed boss battle goes beyond the room you fight them in...

The best thing the boss fights in Deus Ex did, from a gameplay perspective, was make them at times optional and actually having alternatives to fighting... So that even a character not meant for combat can still win, or at least make past that part... but the best thing they did for the boss fights at all, and this is something that Human Revolution didn't even touch on, and that is that the boss fights actually made sense, for character development and plot... and they didn't undermine the player's own role playing experience...<.<

Evrae for the second time in FFX - you just chuck two Phoenix Downs at it, what with it being a zombie and all, and it's gone. Interestingly enough, the first time you fight Evrae it's very difficult to beat, especially given it has some pretty over-powered attacks in the first fight and you need to be careful in your turn timing to avoid them...

Oh, and in the first Gears of War (haven't played the sequels yet) the Beserkers are surprisingly easy. Just dodge every charge until you get outside and use the Hammer of Dawn, and that's it. Not sure if they count as 'bosses', of course, but still...

mitchell271:
So I was playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution recently and...

So, has anyone else played a game with a oddly easy boss fight?

As someone who didn't ever buy the Typhoon and didn't have insulation, that was the most fucking infuriating boss fight ever.

My submission however, was the Leviathan from Penny Arcade Adventures 3. It took about 1 hit and died.

Final Borderlands boss comes to mind. I found a bug and got stuck unable to fire at the damn thing for the entire battle, and we STILL kicked it's ass without anyone even being knocked down.

GW2 dragons. They're very casual-friendly so everyone can get them a dragon kill and phat lewts anytime they want. None of the three open world dragons actually do any direct damage (though the Claw does a fairly respectable amount of AE damage, and is such an obnoxiously long encounter).

It's so counter-intuitive to stand beneath the jaws of a 200' long dragon completely confident he's not going to snap you up, or flick you with his claw, or even look at you. It is a fun, cinematic feeling to be the one person to run in and meet Tequatl as he lands, though.

Sacman:

No, the biggest problem with the boss battles was the fact that all of them, without exception, are designed almost entirely around one type of character build... not specifically that they were over powered, though that was certainly part of it... It's that you had to shoot them to death, or follow the directions on how to beat them, there was no other option, sure they had specific things you could do to win, but it's so specific and requires such a uniform set of directions that there might as well not be any choice in how you handle it... might as well make the first boss only take damage from barrels or the second boss only take damage from electricity, which would still undermine the idea of unique character builds and favor specific character builds over others, which is the initial problem...

and placing mines and stun locking aren't particularly viable... unless you feel like glitching character animations and that's still poor design, but of a different sort... and stealth is about as well implemented as an axe head is in the victim of a serial murderer... it's like the stealth in Metro 2033... you're either wondering around waiting to bump into someone who than starts shooting at you... or you just use it to cry in a corner for a bit before you're spotted and the shooting begins again... there just isn't enough depth in the level design or boss AI to facilitate much in terms of stealth mechanics... not to mention the fact that the stealth mechanics themselves aren't suited well for the kind of tactics required for a boss...

You can describe as many ways as you want to beat a boss, but most of them simply aren't a viable option... even with specialization...

If hacking or platforming mechanics were actually implemented, it might've been better... but even that would just be touching the tip of how the boss fights could've been improved... I mean the boss fights from the original Deus Ex are a decent example... I mean each boss fight, wasn't particularly deep but they had their quirks and were generally accessible by any and all character builds... mostly due to the fact that they were basically just stronger regular enemies... I mean a well designed boss battle goes beyond the room you fight them in...

The best thing the boss fights in Deus Ex did, from a gameplay perspective, was make them at times optional and actually having alternatives to fighting... So that even a character not meant for combat can still win, or at least make past that part... but the best thing they did for the boss fights at all, and this is something that Human Revolution didn't even touch on, and that is that the boss fights actually made sense, for character development and plot... and they didn't undermine the player's own role playing experience...<.<

Honestly I really don't agree, look at the first boss. If you sneak, he loses track of you and you can hide and take potshots at him whilst he's not looking if you have a stealth build. You can throw barrels at him with an augmented build. If you have a stun gun and plenty of ammo, stunlocking the first boss is very viable. If you've been stacking up armour you can take him out in a straight gun fight. If you've got typhoon, well instant win.

I stealthed the first boss, theres loads of videos on Youtube of people baralleling him, I've seen videos of someone stun locking and I was watching an LP where they went the shooty way.

Equally the electric floor is a valid option with the second boss, or you can chase her around whilst she tries to turn invisible, or you can take out the electricity things from distance with a weapon. Or you can stun her, take a shot with something stronger, stun her, take another shot again. Or you can typhoon her or you can dodge her charges and plough into her with something shotgunny whilst she does that.

I've seen people do all of those, but I think the point where we've got crossed wires is, I believe that whilst you have to be very skilled for them to do it now, if they'd turned down the DPS, then all of them would be very easily viable, if they're viable now for skilled player who know exactly what needs to happen, then with more time in the game you could have explored them and found them out.

This is what I think people missed, the devs included a lot of different strategies to take down each boss, but the power of the bosses meant it wasn't viable to discover these strategies and people didn't.

Take the second last boss, again if you stealth he loses track of you and you can take potshots, or you can run around the maze and never let him get a lock on, or if you've brought big guns with you, you can shoot through the walls and take him out like that. Or typhoon, or melee etc. But the problem was whenever I thought him, I would start trying one of those strategies and he'd kill me in two seconds for putting a foot wrong. So stealth stopped being viable, despite the mechanics being there just because if I got my stealth wrong for a second I'd lose the whole boss fight.

They were actually quite similar to MGS boss fights in design, using the water and footsteps to track an invisible person etc, it's just in MGS you've got time to try out strategies in a boss fight.

However I agree that they a)had nothing for hackers and charisma people except in the last bossfight, and b) needed more options to make the bosses skippable, but I'd like to note that they didn't avoid it entirely because the last bossfight (against the computer) is skippable if you have decent hacking, or speech check the last boss. It's also for all purposes and intent, skippable if you've got a shoot through walls weapon

Gmans uncle:
I'm simply shocked that nobody's mentioned this beauty yet...
One of the only bosses I found ridiculously easy at four years old.

This of course.

Also the final boss of Final Fantasy X.

The Dragon God from Demons souls was strangely easy, he killed me two or three times before I figured out that you could break the walls down the side passage. Once I had that down I killed him without taking any damage. It was more a question of watching cut scenes kill him than actually doing battle with a god. Also all of the Dragons in Skyrim bar maybe the first one depending on how quickly/ what level you are when you get there. Bears and trolls were consistently more of a threat in Skyrim than the dragons. Alduine was stupidly easy in full Dadric gear, it was actually very disappointing for me to get to the end battle in a really cool location and then kill the final boss in under 5 minutes. I think the lesson learned from this is that dragon gods don't make good boss battles.

I don't understand why people were saying that the OP's boss fight was only easy since he used a maguffin and he should try it without the maguffin... That's like saying, "Brock was only an easy fight if you choose Bulbasaur or Squirtle, you should have picked Charmander."

OT: Majora's Mask. While there was some difficulty in collecting every mask and the 4 sub-dungeons on the moon could be a bit annoying, once you donned the Fierce Deity's mask the final boss was cakewalk.

Andrewtheeviscerator:
Final boss of Demon Souls, The True King (don't remember his name) was hilariously easy considering how hard the actual game is.

I felt that way about most of the boss battles in Demon's Souls. Phalanx was far easier than getting to him the first time was. Tower Knight was pretty easy. The spider boss in the mines is stupidly easy if you have a bow, and so on. Only maybe 2-3 bosses in that game gave me any trouble.

Probably the final boss from the first Borderlands. The game's difficulty scaled terribly, with it being impossible in the beginning but a cakewalk in the end. I blame gear progression.
I pretty much just stood still and fired my combat rifle into it's mouth, and killed in two clips, taking little damage.

Crazycat690:
Well, the final boss fight in Skyrim, considering that simple bandits we're a bigger threat I don't see why people was afraid of that dragon to begin with. Fat chance that dragons would rule the world...

That is actually one of my biggest criticisms of Skyrim. People often say that if you can't beat certain enemies then it's not the games fault it's yours, but the fact that Bandit Chief's and Trolls were actually more of a threat than Dragons is totally ridiculous.

The final Boss of Ninja Gaiden,you figure that he kicked your ass so handly erly in the game that this is going to be a nasty fight. Nope, just spam flying sparrow and the dude didn't know what hit him.

Elecman in Dr.Wily's revenge,hes a complete bastard even with cutman's power in the orginal but here 3 blades and he's out.

Most of the full moon bosses in Persona 3,maybe it's because most of the floor bosses were horrible things that these seemed easy by comparison.

Kitsune Hunter:
Alduin from Skyrim, i mean fighting him on the Throat of the World was an alright boss fight, then after he fled to Sovngarde to restore his power by eating souls, I was then expecting a tough,good final battle, only for me to be disappointed as I took him down in 5 minutes. I had my hopes high for a epic final battle against Alduin, the World Eater, the Nordic God of Destruction, I mean talk about anticlimatic

I agree with this. Alduin should have at least had more health than he did, although having killed so many dragons it would just have been more of the same anyway.

This was probably my own fault since my character was level 20, had Grim Reaper's Sprint and a firelance, but Colonel Autumn in Faalout 3 was useless. As soon as the fight started, I targeted his two bodyguards. Two shots each, and they were both turned to flaming piles of ash before they even managed to spin up their laser gatlings (although the second guy might have managed to get off one or two wild rounds, I forget) and then turned to Colonel Autumn, only to find that my Brotherhood of Steel companion had already slotted him in the couple of seconds that I was fighting his bodyguards for.

The boss at the end of Darksiders II was so easy I thought it was a set-up for something bigger from him. Nope, he stayed dead.

Kitsune Hunter:

Hey, at least you got 5 minutes of fun out of him! By the time I got to that part of the game, I had built up my dual weapons so much that once he landed on the ground in front of me, it was over. Literally the length of time to pull my triggers a few times. Dragonborn gets pretty overpowered at his endgame. :)

Shanicus:

Also, the Old-god Dragon thing from Dragon Age: Origins that you fight as the end boss. Thanks to a problem with level-scaling, the thing is like 4 levels lower than you when you fight it - this makes it's 'powerful' attacks easy to shrug off, and it takes metric-fucktons of damage from your attacks. The only way I found it challenging was when I skipped most of the side quests (and chunks of the main quest), so that I was severely under-leveled when I finally got to him. And even then the biggest threat on the field were the adds he kept spawning in. :(

I remember the Archdemon being kind of difficult the first time I played Dragon Age. He would always fly to where only my 2 characters with ranged weapons could hit him, and he would spawn so many darkspawn. I felt so accomplished when I beat him with my last character alive (Leliana was amazing to me after that). Then the ending nearly made me start bawling (romanced King Alistair but refused Morrigan's offer, so sad :( ). Now I really want to play that game again!

OT: I had this the first time I ever got to The Chest in The Binding of Isaac. I got really lucky with Cain when I got the D20, Nun's Habit, Mom's Pearl, and a dollar. I found an arcade and spent like 10 minutes rerolling everything I won. I'm sure I had at least 50 spirit hearts by the end of that. I thought The Chest and Blue Baby were so easy. Now, however, he's a pain if I even get to him.

distortedreality:
Bowser. Any Mario Game.

EXCEPT Mario 64.

And maybe Super Mario Bros. Wii. Seriously, have you seen that final boss fight? There's no way you can win that with 4 people.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked