Bizarrely Easy Boss Fights

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Kopikatsu:
Four Kings from Dark Souls. Iron Flesh made them a joke.

Pre or post patch. I hear that one no longer works, for those who used such cheap tactics.
Iron Flesh was an OP spell meant for noobs who sucked at the game.
They nerfed it considerably in a patch.

Good poise and high damage output will take Four Kings down. His melee attacks do more damage at range, so stay close and hack away - just be mindful of his one spell that can wreck you if close.

Note: My first playthrough, I didn't even use magic/pyro/miracles at all. I used a Bastard Sword, had high END, STR and DEX. Almost nothing put into anything else (this includes VIT, so my Health was really low as well - had to up VIT in NG+ though).

OP: Pinwheel demon in Dark Souls. Easiest boss in the game. I don't know if he's ever even managed to hit me once. It's weird. Especially after the onslaught of asshole pinwheel skeletons... who are amongst the 3 most annoying regular enemies in the game.

Pfheonix:
The second time you play through the Undead Asylum in Dark Souls. Asylum demon is easy as hell then.

The tutorial boss? Yeah... He's easy, I think most bosses on NG+ would be easy apart from Smough and Ornstein and the Four Kings. I still have 6 bosses to go on my first playthrough, but those are the only ones to give me serious trouble. We'll see how Nito, Priscilla, Seath, Gwyndolin, Gwyn, and Bed of Chaos treat me.

Also on a Dark Souls note: Pinwheel, the first boss in the Catacombs. I three shot him... He didn't even get one attack off. And... Moonlight Butterfly. But that's hardly a boss encounter.

343 Guilty Spark. As Yahtzee points out, the fight is insultingly easy. I mean, I died a few times because I fell off on my first run through but that wasn't his fault. Even after ramping up to legendary, I found he couldn't actually kill you as his attack regularly misses if you stand still. Then you get the laser and just stand still shooting him till he goes bang.

Satan from Castlevania Lords of Shadow, they give you unlimited magic and make war could have been an epic.boss fight the easiest part of the game by far.

BrotherRool:
The last encounter with Seymour in FFX. Boss battles in FFX were incredible tactical feats, requiring incredibly precise tactics and use of special statuses, up to the point where one of the battles before this Seymour fight involved deliberately letting your party be zombified on one turn to avoid an instant death attack the next, curing the status and healing up as much as possible in one turn and then going zombie again etc...

Or you could just use Yojimbo.

OT: Any fight in FF VIII after you get Aura and Meltdown and Pulse Ammo, any fight in FF X after you get Yojimbo and finally the Fable 2 "final boss".

Glademaster:

BrotherRool:
The last encounter with Seymour in FFX. Boss battles in FFX were incredible tactical feats, requiring incredibly precise tactics and use of special statuses, up to the point where one of the battles before this Seymour fight involved deliberately letting your party be zombified on one turn to avoid an instant death attack the next, curing the status and healing up as much as possible in one turn and then going zombie again etc...

OT: Any fight in FF VIII after you get Aura and Meltdown and Pulse Ammo, any fight in FF X after you get Yojimbo and finally the Fable 2 "final boss".

You had enough money to sustain Yojimbo? You can blow your entire purse on him and he still might not do something cool

CandideWolf:
General Scar I think is his name from Starfox Adventures. He had such a buildup, and then just gave up like that.

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT YOU BEAT ME TO IT!

it was General Scales BTW

The end boss for Act 1 Diablo 3. I saw his attacks coming from a mile away, the arena gives you to healing wells if things go wrong and he is so slow; my fat ass barbarian could just hop out of the way and keep hitting him in the face. I was expecting something a little more

I think a lot of games have boss that aren't on par with the course. I've played games where a boss is really easy, to the point that a mini boss earlier was harder than him, and I've played games where a lower boss is 10x harder than the final one! Sometimes it just depends on how you sink your stats, maybe you didn't grab the right weapon for the job, or maybe you found a glitch that made things easier.

BrotherRool:

Glademaster:

BrotherRool:

You had enough money to sustain Yojimbo? You can blow your entire purse on him and he still might not do something cool

Yojimbo training get overdrive, Yuna get overdrive 2 chances to instant kill anything and it wasn't that expensive.

Semudara:
In "Klonoa" for Wii...

KLONOA'S OUT FOR THE WII?! I MUST GET IT *RUNS OFF*

Uhm back on topic. First one of the top of my head is Seymour in Final Fantasy X when he becomes a zombie and you can just phoenix down him to death, that's always fun. Also I found the last boss of Final Fantasy XIII-2 really easy since I was overpowered just by playing the game trying to unlock everything.

Glademaster:

BrotherRool:

Really once you got Yuni's super weapon and limit break this game was easy. Summon the three sisters or Anima and everything died but quick.

BrotherRool:

Catfood220:
Maximillian from Valkyria Chronicles is so very easy to beat. I was surprised I struggled so much with him when I discovered this.

Wait snipers are actually useful in Valkria Chronicles??

At low levels, snipers aren't really that good. But once they reach the high levels, they almost become God tier.

Marina herself becomes the best sniper in the game, at high levels with a really good sniper rifle, the only possible way she can miss her targets is if they decide to duck.

OT: Well Mysterio in Spider-man 2 comes to mind. He literally goes down in one hit.

Also, the necromancer guy at the end of the mage's guild quest line in Oblivion. The game kinda hypes him up to be this man of ultimate power and is considered a huge threat. But I brought him down by using my paralysis staff and then hitting him a couple of times with goldbrand. :/

Magenera:
Wilhem from Borderlands2. Hearing how difficult he is, and how he took down the last vault hunters you would think he would be a badass. Went out real quick.

There's a reason for this and unless you haven't finished that quest, you should know it.

OT: General Shepherd from MW2. You kill him with an extremely easy quick-time event.

The final boss of Gears of War 2. How do you defeat it, you ask?

BrotherRool:
Boss battles in FFX were incredible tactical feats, requiring incredibly precise tactics....

You mean, the easiest main series FF game ever made (and the FF series is generally easy).

BTW: The battle with Yunalesca was about the only fight that required a little strategy. And that strategy was let 1 person be zombified. That person will survive auto-death and will revive the others. It's also easier to keep a (mostly) living party healthy.

Glademaster:

How needlessly expensive.

Quick Hit breaks the game. Give it to everyone.
My set up of "Auto Haste", "Auto Protect", "Break HP" and "Break Damage" while spamming "Quick Hit" means you will kill almost anything before they can move.

It helps that I also retooled my Sphere Grid so that everyone has stats of 255 in all categories (except luck). There are only +4 stats on my grid. Nothing smaller.

sinsfire:

Really once you got Yuni's super weapon and limit break this game was easy. Summon the three sisters or Anima and everything died but quick.

Except Super bosses and anything else that auto-kills summons. Then both your and Glademasters strategies are fucked over.

Quick Hit for everyone people. It's all you really need.
Auto-Haste and Auto-Protect just ensures the game is fully broken.

The last boss of Xenosaga II uses his first turn to cast a spell which revives you if you die, and then proceeds to do nothing whatsoever to stop you from killing him. He get about three turns for every one of yours, but instead of attacks he has about thirty different fully voiced insults.

Handsome Jack and the warrior from borderlands 2 (solo /W Zer0).

holy fucking shit that was so anticlimactic it wasn't even fun. it took me three sniper shots to down Jack himself and the warrior barley hit me once.

I had more trouble with RPG loaders robots or those guys who runs around with rocket launchers than I had with the final "boss". heck I've taken more damage from accidentally hitting myself with weapons that are thrown like grenades when you reload them.

Borderlands 2... no, not Wilhelm - see: plot. And yeah, the final boss was piss-easy, but that's been mentioned, too.

BNK3R. There's a glitch that lets Zero one-shot him.

Hell of a time saver on True Vault Hunter.

The boss in Deus ex: human revolution where you run upto where he lands and stealth kill him before he can do anything to you. Gotta be the easiest boss fight ever although it didn't really seem like a boss fight at all. The final boss was a complete joke aswell...switch him off *rolls his eyes*. If ever there was a game with easier boss fights overall then i'd like to see it. Proximity grenades ruined everything.

I'll add the boss at the end of Final Fantasy 10...i was so overpowered from killing the dark thingies that the final boss died in 1 hit.

s69-5:

BrotherRool:
Boss battles in FFX were incredible tactical feats, requiring incredibly precise tactics....

You mean, the easiest main series FF game ever made (and the FF series is generally easy).

BTW: The battle with Yunalesca was about the only fight that required a little strategy. And that strategy was let 1 person be zombified. That person will survive auto-death and will revive the others. It's also easier to keep a (mostly) living party healthy.

Glademaster:

My set up of "Auto Haste", "Auto Protect", "Break HP" and "Break Damage" while spamming "Quick Hit" means you will kill almost anything before they can move.

It helps that I also retooled my Sphere Grid so that everyone has stats of 255 in all categories (except luck). There are only +4 stats on my grid. Nothing smaller.

sinsfire:

Except Super bosses and anything else that auto-kills summons. Then both your and Glademasters strategies are fucked over.

Zanmato: Yojimbo calls his katana out of a portal in the ground and uses it to slice all enemies in half. It instantly kills any enemy in the game, with the exceptions of Sin (when fighting face-to-face on the airship), Yunalesca and Braska's Final Aeon, which will only move to the next form (unless they have already reached their final form, in which case Zanmato will kill them).

Yeah it works just fine on anything in the game basically. Also 10k gil is not a lot for an instant kill which makes all boss fights easy. Abusing another mechanic you need to do a lot more work for which does not work unless you min/max to an insane degree. Over leveing or in this case overspeccing will of course make everything easy. Quick Hit may be integral to beating Penance and what not but so are the ridiculous spec.

So yeah time investment for that vs spending 10k gil for normal play Yojimbo is way less time consuming.

Metal Sonic in the Game Gear/Master System version of Sonic 2.

In the Megadrive version, hitting it while it's moving or doing its' chainsaw hair thing will kill you. You have to dodge it and hit it when it's vulnerable. Plus you also have to defeat Robotnik afterwards with no checkpoints so you'd better get good at beating it.

In the Game Gear/Master System version, if you jump into it while moving you both just bounce away and there is no chainsaw hair thing. So you can't die while you are in the air and if you just keep jumping you have a good chance of beating it on your first attempt. And it's the last boss in the game unless you've been collecting those chaos emeralds.

Glademaster:

BrotherRool:

Glademaster:

Yojimbo training get overdrive, Yuna get overdrive 2 chances to instant kill anything and it wasn't that expensive.

I'd always heard that the chance even then was pretty slim. I never managed to trigger it

s69-5:

BrotherRool:

Glademaster:

I think you and I are talking about rather different play experiences, I never maxed out the sphere grid, I never get enough stuff to manufacture the auto spells on decent sets of armour. My playthrough was rather more mortal and pedestrian than yours and in that sense FFX was more interesting, in FFVII and XII, XIII (never could really get into 8, don't know why I haven't played 9) in that less perfectionist sense, I never felt like I needed to be particularly strategic in any battle and generally didn't need to employ much more of a strategy than healing and DPS.

BrotherRool:

I think you and I are talking about rather different play experiences, I never maxed out the sphere grid, I never get enough stuff to manufacture the auto spells on decent sets of armour. My playthrough was rather more mortal and pedestrian than yours and in that sense FFX was more interesting, in FFVII and XII, XIII (never could really get into 8, don't know why I haven't played 9) in that less perfectionist sense, I never felt like I needed to be particularly strategic in any battle and generally didn't need to employ much more of a strategy than healing and DPS.

Even on my first playthrough I breezed through FFX.
It's the fact that it's pure turn based (no ATB) coupled with seeing who gets a turn in what order for dozens of turns ahead of time... It's way too easy to know exactly what to do or manipulate mechanics.

At the fight you were referring to, for example, I was not at god like levels of power.
I couldn't even customize Death or Zombie Proof. I did have a few Zombieproofs on dropped equipment though. ;)

Thing is, the biggest flaw with FFX is just how easy it is. And again, that's saying a lot in a series that's as easy as Final Fantasy.

Glademaster:
snip

Fair enough.

You might be the only person I've encountered to get the insta-kill special at any regularity.
Then again, I never bothered much with Yojimbo.

As for my mechanic, you don't have to retool the grid like I did to make it work (I'm just anal that way). But everyone does have tot take a trip through Tidus' grid. I'd say take a walk through Wakka's while you're at it since that one is packed with physical power. It's not obligatory though.

Quick Hit is OP nonetheless.

Gonna have to add to the final boss from FFX with Yojimbo crowd. I just put down all my considerable fortune for him. What else am I going to use it for? It's the final boss!

I would say Goht from Majora's Mask. I consider it a major design flaw when I can just stand in the doorway an pelt him with arrows as he runs by and he won't be able to even touch me.

BrotherRool:
snip

s69-5:
snip

The more you get attacks with Yojimbo that aren't the god the higher chance you have to get better attacks and Overdrive boosts this a lot. I managed to beat all of the Dark Aeons bar Yojimbo by abusing this. Not that I couldn't have done it other ways I just wanted to see how much I could abuse the mechanic.

Final boss fight of BG1, maybe?

s69-5:

BrotherRool:

Even on my first playthrough I breezed through FFX.
It's the fact that it's pure turn based (no ATB) coupled with seeing who gets a turn in what order for dozens of turns ahead of time... It's way too easy to know exactly what to do or manipulate mechanics.

At the fight you were referring to, for example, I was not at god like levels of power.
I couldn't even customize Death or Zombie Proof. I did have a few Zombieproofs on dropped equipment though. ;)

Thing is, the biggest flaw with FFX is just how easy it is. And again, that's saying a lot in a series that's as easy as Final Fantasy.

I think we're still talking about you being on a way higher level than me and (hopefully) other people on this stuff, you seem really skilled at these games. I at least didn't notice X being harder than the other FF's and in fact found X the hardest to complete of all the ones that I've played. I found they forced more tactical intricacies with the turn based system whereas the time part of ATB made the battles a little looser and gooey, one less variable that could be considered and used and the rest had to be toned down because nothing could be used as precisely.

TeletubbiesGolfGun:
you're using typhoon...

your argument is invalid. that is so OP to the point it's not funny.

OT:

vermivorous the invincible on borderlands 2 was fucking cake.

I didn't struggle with it, I just nicked a load of mines from the supply cabinets inside and placed them around the outer ring, near the junctions.

OT: Whitney. Everyone complains about that Miltank, but I steamrolled it with a Machop-Haunter combo. xD

Salazar from Resident Evil 4.

Just buy a rocket launcher from the Merchant standing just outside, wait for Salazar to reveal himself, and then simply blow him away in one shot.

As a matter of fact, this is the only way I know how to beat him - I've never tried a different approach, because it involved getting grabbed by his tentacles and thrown down in the lower area which is crawling with those spider-y facehugger bastards.

Legion:

That was entirely intentional. Did you actually pay attention to the dialogue afterwards, or are you merely copying Yahtzee?

To be fair, a lot of people were saying this before Wednesday.

My active theory is that a30 second attention span is too much to ask of gamers.

s69-5:

BrotherRool:

Glademaster:

sinsfire:

But your strategy only works at the end if the game anyway...so it's kinda moot in terms of rendering the game easy

By the time I got to Alduin in Skyrim, I had to cripple myself to get any fun out of it. In particular, I rendered my massive Heavy Armor stat worthless by wearing nothing but the Archmage's Robes (without any of the appropriate spells or perks, it may have well been a set of pajamas) and I used Mehrunes' Razor for the fun of trying to land the ever-elusive one-hit kill on him.

Pajamas and a razor.
It's like I just got out of bed, and I still showed him I'm the king of the mountain.
Despite the overwhelming quantity of all those little scratches, I never landed the one-hit kill (or if I did, he had such little HP it didn't matter) before the almighty dragon decided he couldn't handle the fury of my six inch knife and flew off.

I wore Jarl Ulfric's Lord C F's (sounds much better after I re-named it) fur coat for the next encounter, and that wound up with an insta-kill striking Alduin down when he still had half his health.

Lord Harkon of the Dawnguard DLC at least put up a more unique challenge (if less of a fight because I just walked in the room with some dragon-bone armor and a newly made matching sword at that point). Once again, I prove I am superior to a bunch of bats and winged lizards.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here