Killed by a Ridiculously Underpowered Enemy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

The7Sins:

KoudelkaMorgan:
In Skyrim I wouldn't ever consider a frost mage to be underpowered. They do insane amounts of damage and sometimes glitch you so you CANNOT move, like at all, and so you die for lack of an option.

Its not a glitch. NPC enemies have access to most of the perks the player character can get. When this happens vs an Ice Mage they had the Deep Freeze perk and had it activate on you which causes a temporary paralysis.

As for me I have the Deadly Dragons mod on Skyrim and the ASIS mod. Ridiculously over powered enemies are the norm for me.
The most notable though was encountering a Master Vampire and 2 other Vampires on the road to Riverwood just after escaping Helgen where those 3 wolves are supposed to jump you. Was quite an annoying encounter but I eventually won thanks to Ralof being immortal and the Bandit outside Embershard Mine running over to help us out. Oh and those 3 wolves? They still spawned there but were refusing to attack the vampires.

I consider it a glitch when I don't fall over like I am paralyzed, I was at full health when it happened, and it lasts for over a minute before I resign myself to the inevitable and stop spamming healing and mana pots.

Killed by a mudcrab, after a brutal fight with a dragon - while the screen was filled with Dragon soul effect and I couldn't see him... I swear the little shit did a victory dance.

felbot:
i was at the top of the leader board in killing floor with my sharp shooter, just one enemy left and what happens? i decided to take a gore fast 1v1 with my knife.

I don't know why I tried either.

more embarrassing is when your down to that last one and a crawler gets you... a darn crawler.

CURSES!!!

Running a friend through Stormwind Stockades (either vanilla WoW or TBC). Thought I would be hot shit and pull everything. I ran in, pulled the entire instance, forget that a couple of mobs in there do a knockdown and stun.

Be level 60/70, get stunlocked to death by a swarm of level 25s.

That embarrassing moment when you got cocky and killed by a zombie in Dark Souls, or when you turned around in Halo Reach and see a suicide grunt three feet away from you.

I always get killed by the very first goomba in any side scrolling Mario game I play. It never fails.

I also got taken out by a guy carrying nothing but a knife in New Vegas a bit ago. In my defense, I had just dealt with his friends who had a grenade rifle and a 9mm submachine gun, but the fact still remains that one of the weakest weapons in the game killed me.

Shanicus:

OH GOD, HAND TO HAND ENEMIES. WHY DID YOU REMIND ME OF THOSE GUYS??? Pretty much any of the hand-to-hand fighters would ruin my day, as they somehow took obscene amounts of damage even when they wore piss-all - the fact that my 200+ Fatigue would be burnt away pretty quickly didn't help at all.
One of the changes I was quite thankful for with Oblivion/Skyrim, so my big heavy-armored warrior didn't run like a little girl when some drunken hobo started a brawl.

I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think you may just not be very good at morrowind. XD

vallorn:

TheYellowCellPhone:

vallorn:
(Dear god BM team I can beat HL1 on hard and did so as prep but those Marines are bullshit on toast.)

"Oh wow, full health, mostly full energy, I'm doing pretty good!" Then they shoot you three times and you die instantly.

What sticks out in my mind is the fucking encounter in Lambda Core, when you have to scout an area ahead for the scientists are you're trapped in a front desk while soldiers repel down. FUCK THAT MOMENT. Easy difficulty, multiple years of shooter experience, full health, full ammo, using all of my strong guns, memory of where soldiers appear, and complete concentration, and it took around half an hour to beat the moment where four soldiers spam you, immediately followed by five more, while two snipe you from above, when there's no health or suit power lying around in a close-quarters and no cover area where shotgunners LOVE to two-shot you.

Fuck that.

Bullshit. On. Toast. Also I think you mean the end fight in Questionable Ethics. Not Lambda Core.

I actualy had the most trouble with the part where you have to fight up a short ramp to a landing pad where a chopper keeps dropping off soldiers. I would have done okay IF THEY DIDNT SODDING KEEP BRINGING MORE IN! As it was every time I got to the top of the ramp (Even if I let them engage the two Vort's to weaken them) I got turned into paste. on the off chance I survived killing them all... the second wave was already deployed and mashed me in the face...

This was the first time in years that I have cheated at a PC game. After 3 HOURS of struggling I gave up and just god moded through the section to the missile launcher and played it from there. That was tough but actually fun and doable...

I remember years ago when everyone played Runescape (man those were the days), all my friends wanted me to join so we could quest together, and after getting the tutorial done and getting a bunch of higher level items from my friends, I was murdered by a cow.

Needless to say, I quit the very same day.

CleverNickname:

vallorn:

TheYellowCellPhone:
"Oh wow, full health, mostly full energy, I'm doing pretty good!" Then they shoot you three times and you die instantly.

What sticks out in my mind is the fucking encounter in Lambda Core, when you have to scout an area ahead for the scientists are you're trapped in a front desk while soldiers repel down. FUCK THAT MOMENT. Easy difficulty, multiple years of shooter experience, full health, full ammo, using all of my strong guns, memory of where soldiers appear, and complete concentration, and it took around half an hour to beat the moment where four soldiers spam you, immediately followed by five more, while two snipe you from above, when there's no health or suit power lying around in a close-quarters and no cover area where shotgunners LOVE to two-shot you.

Fuck that.

Bullshit. On. Toast. Also I think you mean the end fight in Questionable Ethics. Not Lambda Core.

I actualy had the most trouble with the part where you have to fight up a short ramp to a landing pad where a chopper keeps dropping off soldiers. I would have done okay IF THEY DIDNT SODDING KEEP BRINGING MORE IN! As it was every time I got to the top of the ramp (Even if I let them engage the two Vort's to weaken them) I got turned into paste. on the off chance I survived killing them all... the second wave was already deployed and mashed me in the face...

This was the first time in years that I have cheated at a PC game. After 3 HOURS of struggling I gave up and just god moded through the section to the missile launcher and played it from there. That was tough but actually fun and doable...

I NO LONGER FEEL ASHAMED AT MY CONDUCT IN THAT ENCOUNTER!

(Seriously I thought the osprey was invincible or something because there were NO prompts unlike everything else...)

Il have to go back and try that encounter again now that I know what the devs thought I should know.

vallorn:
(Seriously I thought the osprey was invincible or something because there were NO prompts unlike everything else...)

Il have to go back and try that encounter again now that I know what the devs thought I should know.

... but you had to shoot it down in the original as well o_O

Well in borderlands 2 trice I been pushed off into ice water by psycos, and died since can't find a exit route quick enough. Ya.....

8-Bit_Jack:

Shanicus:

OH GOD, HAND TO HAND ENEMIES. WHY DID YOU REMIND ME OF THOSE GUYS??? Pretty much any of the hand-to-hand fighters would ruin my day, as they somehow took obscene amounts of damage even when they wore piss-all - the fact that my 200+ Fatigue would be burnt away pretty quickly didn't help at all.
One of the changes I was quite thankful for with Oblivion/Skyrim, so my big heavy-armored warrior didn't run like a little girl when some drunken hobo started a brawl.

I mean this in the most respectful way, but I think you may just not be very good at morrowind. XD

I never really got a hang of the fatigue thing, so enemies that drained fatigue tended to fuck me over. Considering all guys who go unarmed do is drain fatigue... kinda my Achilles heel.

Absolutely destroyed anything that didn't fatigue-drain though. Whenever Golden Saints or Dremora Lords appeared, my general reaction was 'Woo! Free loot!'.

though it did take me a while to figure out that the Golden Saints/Atronarchs had a spell reflect... to be fair I played the game when I was 12, so I was a bit slow in learning the mechanics.

CleverNickname:

vallorn:

... but you had to shoot it down in the original as well o_O

Thats no excuse for poor game design...

Still I actually dont think I took down the osprey in HL1... game must have been glitchy because all I remember of that fight is the grunts and marines... I actually dont ever remember having killed the osprey...

EDIT: Wait no I know what it was. I heard about a part where you have to take down an osprey with a manual reload rocket emplacement... I got confused...

Shanicus:

8-Bit_Jack:

Shanicus:

I never really got a hang of the fatigue thing, so enemies that drained fatigue tended to fuck me over. Considering all guys who go unarmed do is drain fatigue... kinda my Achilles heel.

Absolutely destroyed anything that didn't fatigue-drain though. Whenever Golden Saints or Dremora Lords appeared, my general reaction was 'Woo! Free loot!'.

though it did take me a while to figure out that the Golden Saints/Atronarchs had a spell reflect... to be fair I played the game when I was 12, so I was a bit slow in learning the mechanics.

Ah the Golden Saint: a free source of Daedric shields and constant-effect souls

Loads of stupid deaths: headcrabs in Half-Life, dreglings and rats in Demon's Souls (in all fairness, you can't underestimate any enemy in a Souls game) and yeah, killed by a mudcrab in Oblivion while afk. Oh, and I once had my Rome: Total War general unit slaughtered by peasants... yah...

vallorn:
Wait no I know what it was. I heard about a part where you have to take down an osprey with a manual reload rocket emplacement... I got confused...

oh yeah, that is dumb. the big explodey guns in HL1 were fun mayhem - BM got rid of them except for one, that is now annoying because you have to reload it. way to go, guys...

I was killed by a bloatfly the other day in Fallout 3. That made me feel pretty shitty.

On the harder difficulties in God of War: Ghost of Sparta, I actually got killed by those little spitting crab thingies. And Harpies, but that was because I was stupid and thought I could walk across a beam without them hitting me.

I've also lost to a lot of Law and Bob players online in Tekken 6 of varying skill.

I got killed by that first mudcrab outside the Imperial Sewers :(

ME:

Playing Persona 3 and 4. Powerleveling like a boss for like 6 hours then some trash monster comes up and 1 shots the main character. Game over. Much rage ensues afterwards

Dfskelleton:
Due to the lack of enemy footstep sounds in System Shock 2, those pipe-weilding Hybrids can totally screw you up if you don't notice them.
And under the rare circumstances they don't scream horrifying, cryptic messages at you.

Fitting that the first enemy you meet is also one of the most horrifying... and you keep meeting them pretty much throughout the entire Von Braun.

felbot:
i was at the top of the leader board in killing floor with my sharp shooter, just one enemy left and what happens? i decided to take a gore fast 1v1 with my knife.

I don't know why I tried either.

Rookie mistake, you just hate to see it. Clots and the fat ones are the only things you can really take 1 on 1 with a knife.

OT: Fucking crawlers in KF. Most of the time I'm killed by other things, but I'm always at less than 3/4 health because of those fuckers.

I got killed by a leech in Dark Souls once. Leeches are these things that jump at you and then take a nap for about 5 seconds.

Yeah.

Arpeggi:
Also, dogs in the Stalker games.

I would not feel any shame about losing to the Stalker dogs, they dodge gunfire and leap behind you LIKE A BAWS

This is tricky because a lot of games make weak enemies hard by sending hordes of them at you. A good example of this is that I often die in Killing Floor because of the clots (the lowest health/slowest moving attackers) because they can grab you and there are lots of them.

I am currently trying to beat New York Minute Hardcore on Max Payne 3 so my biggest thing is getting killed (sent in to last stand) by a single bad guy who I failed to finish off during an attack. Since it only takes a few bullets to put Max into last stand or die, I might clear a room of all the heavily armored bad guys in one awesome move but then miss a single guy with a shotgun who just kills me because I failed to see him.

Also, I die from Goomba's far to often than I should.

I saw a mudcrab the other day...

It fucking killed me!

Ya I was on Master difficulty for the first time, and yes Skyrim mudcrabs are actually kind of strong, but still. A fucking mudcrab killed me!

Tallim:
I got killed by a kobold in Nethack on my first move........ I wasn't too happy that day.

"Here lies Smash the level 9 Barbaian. Killed by a Newt (while helpless)."

Tallim:
Ow yeah ADOM is much more punishing than Nethack too.

I was just the victim of an extremely nasty RNG on the Nethack game. I wasn't even near the Kobold. All I did was step East and I lined up with the Kobold which just so happened to have a wand. It wasn't pretty.

Did you know?

In ADOM you can gain str. by kicking stairways.
*poker face*

Also on the subject of Rougelikes I was playing TOME a while back and was killed by a wolf. Not just ANY wolf mind you, but the TUTORIAL wolf. Really...?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked