Sudden GW2 deaths.

Right, so...upon asking a player or two at point-blank about this, I think this is confusing enough to warrant a thread.

In Guild Wars 2, I am playing a Warrior Charr (Blood Legionnaire) and...sometimes during intense combat, there is a yellow-white haze or glow that happens and suddenly, my character is dead. No "Fight for your life!" moment. He just died and had to respawn somewhere. This has happened a few times that I can recall.

More specific information: There is no relevant pattern to types of enemies involved that I can think of, nor can I tell what triggers this. The enemies could be VERY DEAD by that time and I could be standing there, picking up items. This is, by the by, despite the use of a support power which is suppose to CURE ALL CONDITIONS.

If there's a player that has a clue about what's going on there, I'd like to know.

Have you already been downed in the fight? The instant death could be from you using Vengeance.

Fellow Charr Warrior here. The yellowish haze/glow is caused by you inadvertently using Vengeance by pressing "3" when you are down.

After the end of that duration, you die.

If you're concerned about this happening, there is a Master Level trait in the Discipline tree that gives you 100% chance to Rally if you kill someone in Vengeance.

crono738:
Have you already been downed in the fight? The instant death could be from you using Vengeance.

Z of the Na'vi:
Fellow Charr Warrior here. The yellowish haze/glow is causing by you inadvertently using Vengeance by pressing "3" when you are down.

Who's brilliant idea for an ability is that? I get up and fight but no wait I'm dead? And no cure? Thank you, players. You've answered the question succinctly.

Yup, sounds like Vengeance to me. You might even accidentally trigger it as you go down if you're mashing buttons without actually seeing much of the "Fight for your life" screen.

FalloutJack:
Who's brilliant idea for an ability is that? I get up and fight but no wait I'm dead? And no cure? Thank you, players. You've answered the question succinctly.

Sometimes a party just needs a smidgen more damage on an enemy to finish it off - like a Champion or something. Warrior says "I got this" and does it. Rest of the party Rallies, Warrior drops, gets picked up, moves on.

And with the upgrade to it through the Trait "Sweet Revenge", you don't actually die from Vengeance when you kill said enemy. Think of it as an all or nothing ability used in specific situations - if you're going to die anyway, might as well go down fighting, right?

Sutiiven:

FalloutJack:

Sometimes a party just needs a smidgen more damage on an enemy to finish it off - like a Champion or something. Warrior says "I got this" and does it. Rest of the party Rallies, Warrior drops, gets picked up, moves on.

And with the upgrade to it through the Trait "Sweet Revenge", you don't actually die from Vengeance when you kill said enemy. Think of it as an all or nothing ability used in specific situations - if you're going to die anyway, might as well go down fighting, right?

As I said, I'm a Warrior Blood Legionnaire. And sometimes, I'm on my own, killing whatever I come across. It's no good if I come back to kill an enemy, only to die a few seconds later. I fight to survive, to kill the other guy BEFORE he kills me. This doesn't always work out, but that's the aim. My character is not someone who would die for a cause, but LIVE for it, and fight harder to remain alive to see it through, and that's how I think on this matter.

So...Vengeance kinda' sucks.

FalloutJack:
So...Vengeance kinda' sucks.

I'm not too fond of it either. Most of the time I'm frantically mashing "1" and "2" to throw rocks and hammers so my target dies, rather than getting up to hit it with my twin axes only to then die anyway.

I'm with you, Blood brother. Self preservation comes first.

It seems like a PvP or Raid based skill. Entire team going down, about to bleed out, use vengeance for one last burst of damage and get revived by team after you die.

Vengeance sounds nice at first; I was also "WTF" the first time I used it and fell to the floor. You're not going to get back up to full fighting power at the click of a button without some drawback. Either try to rally with 1 2 and 4, or only use Vengeance if you're in a group or you have the Sweet Vengeance trait.

FalloutJack:

crono738:

Z of the Na'vi:
Fellow Charr Warrior here. The yellowish haze/glow is causing by you inadvertently using Vengeance by pressing "3" when you are down.

There's a trait that lets you live if you kill someone, but yeah it's a dumb ability. It's used only if you're not dead yet, but there's no way in hell you're going to bandage back up.

I take it you didn't read that skill description?
Yup that Vengeance for ya and I don't use it either as it's a waste of a skill (I still want to stay alive like most players not to be guaranteed death). I suppose it's best used when you're in a party or there are other players nearby to be res for sure.

It's more of a pvp skill. Imagine fighting some guy in a match. He downs you, but he's down to 1/5 hp or lower. You use your other skills to try and damage him as much as possible, but here he comes for the actual kill. Just before he stomps you, you press vengeance. You quickly finish him off and stomp him, getting the points. You even live if you have that trait.

Or imagine you and your enemy both go down. Neither can stomp the other and you're both trying to finish the other off before more people come or before you die. Warrior can then vengeance and stomp the other guy anyway, getting points while he definitely doesn't.

Please don't forget that the skill also has a chance to rally you if you kill someone even without the trait. It's just not a 100% chance then.

It's definitely a pvp orientated skill. A very powerful one if used at the right moments. But indeed in pve it kinda sucks for most situations.

Scarim Coral:
I take it you didn't read that skill description?

To be fair, afaik, the only time you can see the descriptions of these abilities is while you're in the down state. And at that point, you're probably too busy thrashing buttons and trying stay alive than to examine their descriptions.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked