Let's Play: Knights of the Old Republic II: Update 23: The Dark Side of the Force

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Kreia:
There is no truth in the Force. But there is truth in you, Exile.

Welcome, one and all, newcomers and veterans, to this Let's Play of Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. KotOR II is a game that inspires many feelings when one hears the name. To most, it is recollections of a disappointing mess of a game, borderline unplayable on it's original release on the Xbox, and still extremely buggy when it was released on PC, with a ludicrous amount of cut content, numerous plot threads without resolution, and, until Mass Effect 3 was released, the definitive inconclusive, half-assed ending to an RPG in recent memory. To the select few who persevered throughout all that, they found one of the most unique pieces of RPG storytelling to ever grace the computer screen, and arguably the most interesting piece of Star Wars fiction ever, and my absolute favorite game of all time. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?

I'm Woodaba, expert lurker on the Escapist forums and the master of thinking up what I think are really profound and insightful posts, only for it to come out as confusing, incoherent, twaddle. I've done a grand total of one Let's Play, so to answer your first question, you shouldn't.

What's this "KotOR" nonsense? I've been living under a rick astley (rock) for the past 10 years, so please, enlighten me.

Gladly. KotOR 1 was a western-style RPG, loosely based on the Star Wars Tabletop Roleplaying Game, which is in turn based on the D20 system, which is in turn loosely based on Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition. Yeesh. Developed by Bioware, it was set 3000 years before the Battle of Yavin, thus removing any issues with continuity with the rest of the series. Except for the Tales of the Jedi comics. But Lucasville doesn't care about them anymore. When it was released in July 2003, it was met with widespread critical acclaim for it's simple, but brilliantly told story, an enjoyable cast of characters, quality writing, and the ability to turn it into the worlds premier Dickhead Simulator. Train Simulator can go stuff it.

(yawn) Fascinating. What about this one, with a two stuck on the end?

Patience, padawan. Lucasarts, as usual, was very pleased at the amount of money KotOR was bringing in, but Bioware had fled the coop, going off to develop Bruce Lee: The RPG, Dragon Age: Development Hell, and Multicolored Explosion Simulator: The Trilogy. So, Lucasarts needed more code monkeys to bring in more cast. Enter Obsidian Entertainment. Obsidian was a company made up of veterans from Black Isle studios, an RPG studio owned by Interplay, and known for making Candy-Coated Crack in the guise of Videogames. With Bioware's endorsement, the project was handed over to Obsidian, the intention being that this would be the second part in a trilogy of KotOR games. The scene was set for a game that would blow the minds of the collective gaming conciousness.

So, what happened?

Lucasarts happened, basically. Obsidian was hit with a ridiculous deadline from day one: a mere 13 months, in order to rush the game out for christmas. For comparison, that's about as long as it takes to create the annual Madden roster update. And Obsidian was planning on creating a 40-Hour epic. Needless to say, things were cut. Many things. Many, many, things. In the end, the game released to the public in December 2004 was but a pale shadow of Obsidian's vision. While the game itself was well recieved, the backlash against certain aspects of the game, particularly the ending, was enormous, and the game did not end up selling as many copies as Lucasarts had hoped for. Obsidian offered to restore the missing content in a patch, but Lucasarts had already written the game off as a failure, and were not willing to waste the resources required to develop and distribute a patch for a failed game.

Bummer.

Indeed. However, out of the night, there comes a savior. You see, the cut content from the game was never actually removed from the game files, on the Xbox disc, it all still exists, some finished but not implemented. Many modding teams took it upon themselves to restore this lost content, but it was the modders Stoney, Zbyl2, and Jinger, and a few others in 2012 that completed the task, releasing the final version of the Lost Content to the public. Now, it is possible to experience the game in it's true glory.

And what is this "true glory"?

An improvement on the original KotOR mechanically in every way, a superb cast of characters, one of the best characters in anything ever, a dark, deconstructive, weird, and sometimes post-modern storyline, and other awesome things.

Sounds good. Where do I sign up?

Right here. Similarly to the previous LP, we'll be running things based on choice. That is, you decide the path the story takes, you decide what kind of character we play as, and you decide the fate of the galaxy. Last time, we were a Female Dark Side Consular, so to add variety (and because the game is arguably better this way), we'll start off as a Male Light Side character. That may change, however, depending on your choices. The light side thing, I mean, not the Male part. No transgender people in Star Wars, so sayeth the great bearded conservative asshole, George Lucas himself.

In case you want to read the previous LP, you can find it here.

If you don't fancy reading all that, here's a quick summary of what happened.

On last thing, this will be a screenshot LP, because I think they're much better than the video variety.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the adventure that is about to unfold.

Contents

Act One

Act Two

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you want to be updated as soon as an update comes out, send me a friend request, and I'll add you to the mailing list, so to speak. Or just bookmark the thread. Whatever suits you!

Yay, I can't wait to get into the rest of this, especially if it's the restored version. anyway, I'm throwin my hat in for Sentinel. Preferably with Dual Lightsaber's. Yes I know we used those in the last LP but I don't care, they're cool.

I gotta play this game with the fanworks... Good luck with this man...

As for a class, I think getting the Hybrid class to work will be more interesting so go for Sentinel.

Consular.

Duelist Consular.

EDIT: Unless you did duelist consular in your last game. In that case, do whatever.

Also, Team Gizka never finished their mod, but another group did. I assume you'll be running the TSLRCM?

EDIT2: Okay, fuck duelist consular. Any class, but you have to do it hand-to-hand. Use that one force power that lets you deflect blaster bolts with your hands.

Hell yeah.

I hope you'll point out which parts were cut in your LP, sounds like fun!

woodaba:
Oh, I forgot to mention, if you want to be updated as soon as an update comes out, send me a friend request, and I'll add you to the mailing list, so to speak.

Or just bookmark the thread, as I did with your last one (even though I kind of stopped commenting, mostly because I'd fall behind and have to read four updates at a time).

I'm very tempted into recommending that you roll a Jedi Gunslinger, but then you'd kind of be aping Jedi Jesus from lpcharchive. Either way, I'm partial to more weapon usage in KotOR II. So either Sentinel or Guardian.

Yeah, Jedi Jesus was a baller.

You could do a hand-to-hand run. That'd be pretty damn cool. Show off those fancy new animations.

Sentinel gets my vote - I'm thinking lacking dark side force powers will make combat a little more challenging in this one than the previous game? :P

Looking forward to this very much. KOTOR II is a game I absolutely hated after playing it the first time (without the restoration mod, immediately after I'd just finished and loved the first game) but I gained more of an appreciation of it after reading the other abovementioned LP and playing the Team Gizka mod. I'm sure there's stuff I missed along the way, so I'm looking forward to this a lot :)

Go sentinel, Having all those skills is great and almost necessary for certain sections/dialogue. Also, PLEASE use the restored content mod. It's glorious and really breathes life back into the game.

I'm throwing my vote in for sentinel as well. Even though you're playing light side and it would be cool to see the temptation to go dark, I'm thinking the versatility of a sentinel will be needed, and you can't spam lightning at everything.

Can't wait for this to get started, especially seeing the lost content (if you're using it), and all the stuff I missed when I played it.

The Crotch:

Also, Team Gizka never finished their mod, but another group did. I assume you'll be running the TSLRCM?

You're entirely correct, team Gizka never finished their mod, the modders Stoney, Zbyl2, and Jinger finished the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod. I apologize for the error, I shall get that fixed posthaste.

And yes, we will indeed be playing the game with that mod. There isn't any better way to play it.

I'm voting sentinel too, and double-bladed lightsaber. Since Varen used dual we should do something different but can still do just as much damage. I know the unique lightside power you get towards the end isn't as cool as Force Crush, but if you have the right powers and a double lightsaber you can literally hit for hundreds of damage at least 3 times each turn. And you're untouchable.

Sentinel, big question are you playing as female?

Captcha allergic reaction... no just a bit of cold thanks for asking!

Pick Consular or Sentinel, i find Guardian to be too easy imho.

Go hand-to-hand and become known as...

Kung-Fu Jesus

Duel-Weilding Sentinel...

Because I am original...

More because I have one of the Starkiller posters on my wall, and he is duel-wielding there! I just goddamn love it! :D

Although I would like to see it played as a Sith too! :D I never have before! I will be opting for all those options! :P

Counselor, I'd say go with counselor (since that's what I always play).

Either way you'll have to do a pretty damn good job to outclass Scorchy's Comprehensive LP of the game (which can be found here http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/) anyway I wish you good luck and I will be following your progress.

woodaba:

I've been living under a rick for the past 10 years, so please, enlighten me.

This one?

OT: Excellent choice for a Let's Play.
I'd go with a blaster-wielding Guardian.
Seriously, blaster Jedis are awesome.

putowtin:

No, male, partly because we played a female in the last LP, and partly because I think the story is better as a male, though not for any sexist reasons, just because some of the characters are better for the male PC.

Hargrimm:

Kung-Fu Jesus

That would certainly be a treat, but another LP has already beaten us to the punch on the Jesus front. The kung-fu, on the other hand...

Sentinel. I vote for Sentinel. It's awesome. Why is it awesome? Because it is. Look at it. It starts with an S. Everyone knows 'S's are awesome. Why do you think Superman is so cool?
That's right. S.

woodaba:

putowtin:

No, male, partly because we played a female in the last LP, and partly because I think the story is better as a male, though not for any sexist reasons, just because some of the characters are better for the male PC.

The Handmaiden is way cooler than the Disiple.

On the other hand, you miss out on some dialogue with Scion...

Consular single saber and Jesus face, that is all.

The Crotch:

woodaba:

putowtin:

The Handmaiden is way cooler than the Disiple.

On the other hand, you miss out on some dialogue with Scion...

And the dialogue with Atris (a sorely underrated character, in my opinion) is much more interesting with a male...

Hargrimm:

Kung-Fu Jesus

...but kung fu jesus mostly used blasters.

Sutter Cane:
..but kung fu Jesus mostly used blasters.

You're thinking of Jedi Jesus.

Alright, Sentinel is far in the lead so far, but our fighting style is still neck-and-neck between Kung Fu and Dual Lightsabers! What shall win the day, I wonder?

My vote is Sentinel, my favorite class.

I've never seen a let's play like this before. It's unique, I can't wait for it.

lets go with sentinel. Seems like you'll get a chance to show of lightsaber and force combat in equal amounts.

I usually go dark jedi consular, followed by sith lord (crush is toooooo nice). But since we HAVE to be light side I'd say guardian. Light side powers suck. They suck so very very very very much. I know it's a bit in contrast with the general opinion but there ya go.

Also:
Peace is a lie. There is only cake. Through cake I gain weight. Through weight I gain obesity. Through obesity I gain girth. Through girth my belt is broken. Cake shall set me free...

woodaba:

Sutter Cane:
..but kung fu Jesus mostly used blasters.

You're thinking of Jedi Jesus.

Quiet, you fool. Sutter Cane can write reality.

Whatever you do, just make sure you roll a character with maximum speech skills and Force persuade.

KOTOR II becomes such a better game when you have all the dialogue options open to you. It's like Planescape. The joy of the game isn't in the combat, but in the phenomenal writing the developers put into it. If you want to do the game justice, make sure you go for dialogue wherever possible. It puts to shame practically anything else in the Star Wars setting.

[faux nerdrage]It's not Kung-fu! It's mostly an unarmed fighting style that draws heavily from Echani tradition! STOP BEING WRONG ON THE INTERNET[/faux nerdrage]

But yeah, I'm down for that. Do it.

DustyDrB:
[faux nerdrage]It's not Kung-fu! It's mostly an unarmed fighting style that draws heavily from Echani tradition! STOP BEING WRONG ON THE INTERNET[/faux nerdrage]

Also known as Kung Fu in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Umad, internet?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked