It's the gamepocalypse, you can only save one game!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The evil Jack Thompson has just created a device that will destroy all the video games in the world. Every console disk will disintegrate, every cartridge will melt, all the installed PC games will be erased, every smartphone game app will catch fire, every arcade machine will implode, even farmville will be replaced by videos of Rick Astley. The gamepocalypse is coming. Soon every game that has ever been released will be gone, forever.

Except for one.
In secret, a team of scientists have constructed an underground bunker big enough to fit exactly one video game inside, and they want you to decide which one. You have to choose the one game that will be preserved for future generations to play. The only game from our time that our grandchildren will ever experience.

This is the moment of truth, which game will you select and why.

Edit: Also, before anyone gets any ideas, game anthologies and collectors sets do NOT count as one game. You can only save individual games. I don't want everyone to just choose The Orange Box or Namco Museum.

I'm torn... between Super Mario World and Zelda: A Link to the Past

Katawa Shoujo.

The irony in Kenji's character in that situation must be immortalized!!

havoc33:
Zelda: A Link to the Past

Ooh. I never actually owned that until it came out on gameboy. Great game though, spent many a night at friends' homes thinking up ways to make it multiplayer.

I'm going to have to be cliche and say Fallout 3. Assuming the mods are still accessible, there's quite a lot of content to keep me going there.

It's either gonna be Banjo-Tooie, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros. 3D Land, or the next real Mario game that comes out for the WiiU.

Superman 64.

Lest people get the idea to begin this evil anew.

Deus Ex.

Because everyone needs some JC Denton, in the fwesh.

I want to say Borderlands 2, but I don't want future generations to think all games were cel-shaded shooters.

I have to agree with OP And say Wind Waker.

Aw man. This is tough. Ultima IV, Close Combat 2 or Speed Rumbler? I'm going to go for a better future and choose Steel Panthers 2 anyway.

As a side note, if gamepocalypse leads to consoles never being invented again, thus preventing destruction of every genre I loved, then the sacrifice is worth it. We die, so others may live.

I would say Minecraft. Simply because it's so much more than a game, it's very educational and improves your creative side.

DJ_DEnM:
I want to say Borderlands 2, but I don't want future generations to think all games were cel-shaded shooters.

I have to agree with OP And say Wind Waker.

As opposed to thinking that all games were cell-shaded adventure games? ;p

I'm still in agreement, though, because Wind Waker was pretty incredible both in terms of game design and story.

Another candidate for me would be the original Yoshi's Island, or Super Mario World/Bros/Bros 3. Any of those would be very useful for future societies on top of being very damn fun.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the full version of DOOM seems like a good candidate too.

i will say THE WALKING DEAD.
it has everything.
emotions, action, drama, story, mystery, excitement, surprise, happiness, sadness, truth, love, hate, etc EVERYTHING ..
so yeah..

Duke Nukem Forever, because I am a ass.

Hmmm tricky question...

Something fun and challenging...nope, can't seperate 1 game from the rest based on that.

Something ridiculously easy and simple so nobody could claim to be better than anyone else with any credibility...nope, most games are already like that.

Something so devestatingly shit that nobody would want to play it...too many of those already aswell.

Fuck it and fuck everyone else, i'll add something that barely anyone has heard of and i liked as a child. Gogo the ghost for the commodore 64. Nobody could claim favouritism on such a game so nobody would have any reason to complain and moan about it...other than it's fairly poor. Fuck the pc, fuck the consoles, fuck the bright shining graphics and fuck convoluted storylines...

:)

I'd have to save Arcanum. I don't think I could stand to live in a world where Arcanum didn't exist.

Jet Set Radio Future, hands down. I could play that game till the end of the universe, nevermind the end of all gaming.

Pokemon. You can put so many hours training, breeding, trading, battling....and you don't even notice. The competitive scene helps a lot to keep the lifespan long, too.

Fuck I'm torn. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time or Red Dead Redemption. I CAN'T DECIDE!!!GRRRAAAHAHHAFBDWUGRU4DGRNUQWFARTRFD

Why would you make me choose you evil, evil OP D:

It's up in the air between Morrowind and Super Mario RPG.

Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Despite the plot holes, unresolved storyline, overt strangeness, over-hyped and easily defeated final boss; CT is still the first game from my childhood that allowed me to become emotionally invested in the characters. Only true mistake IMO was making it too easy to bring a character back to life. Dead should be dead. Or at the very least have severe repercussions in returning one to life.

On a side note. Where THE FUhhh... Heck is the 3rd game in this series?
For a company that is on it's twenty or thirty something Final Fantasy title, spin off, whatever. It seems to me they are sitting on a great many other IPs which could use a dusting off and given a little love... Just not in MMORPG form. Please. For the love of GOD no... or rather, for the love of JIM in this case.

Not sure if I'd choose something with grand adventure like Morrowind or go with something with lots of strategic replay value like Master of Orion 2.

So... Diablo 2 (for now.)

TF2- All future generations will question their ancestors weird obsession with hats and will baffle historians forever. :p

I want to be immortalised as the Ultimate Troll. So I pick...

recurve6:
Pokemon. You can put so many hours training, breeding, trading, battling....and you don't even notice. The competitive scene helps a lot to keep the lifespan long, too.

Same here. Although it'd have to be a hacked version, or perhaps simply one where you can easily get all the pokemon in the game on it, so that we're not stuck being unable to get Zekrom/Reshiram because of game freaks silly colour system.

Skywind when the final version is released, as it will very likely be the greatest game ever created.

Also, i'll be placing my own PC in a concrete room inside a couple faraday cages.

Baldur's Gate 2.

Shadow of the Colossus. Although that's just me.

That or any of the Fallout games. Just for irony's sake.

Mmm in this scenrio I will picked a really long game seeing that it will be the only game left to play.
I guess I will go with Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube. Getting those rare loot is enough for me to play that game for a whole well forever.

Planescape torment. The only real answer.

Athinira:
Baldur's Gate 2.

this 100% or torment. Hard decision.

I'd let them all go and focus my efforts on killing Jack. If there were only one game left, I wouldn't want to play it anyway.

My one pick is for Timesplitters 2 its more than this generation's shiniest shooter. It's what I feel the spirit of videogames is fun, frantic, kick ass music, time travel, and a guy who's totally not Vin Diesel (for serious) And in this spirit of gaming I want my children to know what it was about, not shooting stuff but having the most fun in one sitting.

Scarim Coral:
Mmm in this scenrio I will picked a really long game seeing that it will be the only game left to play.
I guess I will go with Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube. Getting those rare loot is enough for me to play that game for a whole well forever.

Excellent choice.
Man, you're making me want to boot it up. I was about to start up my choice, Minecraft. Alas, now I'm a bit torn.

Penny for your thought. A 1940 penny in particular; heads for Phantasy Star Online and tails for Minecraft.
Abe says PSO. Maybe now I can get past the Mines on Ultimate.

chadachada123:
-snip-

Mostly because of the shooter portion of the game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here