A couple of big Xcom: Enemy unknown complaints...

Pages PREV 1 2

I agree with point 1. I could understand if panic meant they'd lose a turn and run away from a charging chryssalid/berserker, or shot in random directions, but targeting the teammates is weird.

Piorn:
I agree with point 1. I could understand if panic meant they'd lose a turn and run away from a charging chryssalid/berserker, or shot in random directions, but targeting the teammates is weird.

I dunno. I don't think you're fully considering all the possibilities.

Obligatory sarcasm emoticon.

Piflik:
My biggest complaint with the game is the free turn aliens get each time I discover them...seriously, this is a turn based game. Aliens should not be able to move on my turn. I can understand Reaction Fire, but this movement is bullshit. My soldiers don't get to move into cover when an alien comes into view...this really pisses me of...I know it happens before it happens, but I still am annoyed that much every time, that I want to quit the game...it's just so arbitrarily unfair...

(There are other asymmetries in the game, all stacked against the player, but the above one is what aggravates me the most)

A good point as well. I got tired of setting up clever flanking positions and door breaches when as soon as I could see the enemy, they all ran and hid. What's the fun of a tactical game if you can't set up ambushes? I had to resort to "scaring" them in one direction with their first move so I could blow up the wall behind them and charge their flank. Effective as hell, but still not my first choice.

Piflik:
My biggest complaint with the game is the free turn aliens get each time I discover them...seriously, this is a turn based game. Aliens should not be able to move on my turn. I can understand Reaction Fire, but this movement is bullshit. My soldiers don't get to move into cover when an alien comes into view...this really pisses me of...I know it happens before it happens, but I still am annoyed that much every time, that I want to quit the game...it's just so arbitrarily unfair...

+1 to this complaint, it is the single thing that pisses me off the most in the game.

Ive had it happen when my last soldier would go ONE square too far which would trigger more groups of aliens who would then move to advantangeous positions (their first reveal turn they never fire, just move into cover) and come alien turn would be able to shoot at my exposed soldiers without me being able to do anything due to aliens getting 2 turns in a row

Conversely, its exploitable in that you can be sure upon meeting a group of aliens they will take cover relative to the soldier who sighted them, allowing you to easily slaughter them come your turn with your other troops .

Basically the free alien turn just makes it more "gamey" and forces you to play in a gamey way, its practically an exploit once you understand it.

As for OP, dont really agree with 1) in that i like the panic mechanic in xcom, only wish the soldiers would fire in freeaim rather then aim specifically for a soldier or alien (unless under certain circumstances). I like to think in my head that alien weaponry has gruesome effects which helps explain the panic factor (when you see chrysalids facerape someone, thats legit cause for panic for the next closest soldier imo).

Got no comment about 2) since ive never had enemies spawn in front of me as OP describes.
There's the thinmen who jump from above but tbh i dont mind that if its only the thinmen, they are infiltrators after all and clearly very acrobatic. Furthermore when thinmen do that, they cant do anything else but go on overwatch, they dont even move so its not like free alien 1st turn at all.

I played the game for several hours today, got to where I was about to assault the final thing, and then suddenly, my game crashed, and I lost about 3-4 hours of gameplay. I really wish there was like an autosave feature after you return from missions, or at least some kind of contingency in case the game decides it is going to just explode for no reason.

tendaji:
I played the game for several hours today, got to where I was about to assault the final thing, and then suddenly, my game crashed, and I lost about 3-4 hours of gameplay. I really wish there was like an autosave feature after you return from missions, or at least some kind of contingency in case the game decides it is going to just explode for no reason.

eehhh, there is an autosave.... if you're not playing ironman, i think it's an option from the menu, look for it

Eh . . . well I don't know about your points, I've only just started playing it. First time playing I went down the tubes pretty quick. Second time, well, there are a few annoying things that have come to light

1. Mission Objectives changing mid-mission.

I spent half an hour or so, battling through alien ambushes losing 2/4 guys to get some VIP to an extraction point. I know there was an infiltrator with eyes on the extraction, so I sent in one of my guys to draw fire first. He gets lucky, doesn't take a hit. Then I send in the VIP. VIP boards the skyranger, then commander dumbass tells me "oh, hey now you have to sweep the area of remaining aliens". And I think "oh hey, that's a great fucking time to tell me now that I have my guy in the middle of the parking lot, expecting to get extracted". My guy gets murdered. I rage quit the mission and reload. And really why the fuck do I care about sweeping the area when my job is to get the guy out? Get your priorities straight.

2. Overwatch fire through walls?

People behind semi trucks, behind walls, etcetera, some alien activates and they take a shot? You don't have LOS dumbass. Don't fire.

3. Missions as series of encounters

I don't really like this encounter situation they have going on where, you basically explore and you come across an encounter, which activates and goes to cover. It's . . . dumb quite frankly. I don't mind the loadouts, don't mind the new turn activation types, etcetera and so forth but the game seems . . . frankly less tactical. It's not about what route you take, it's about how you deal with a given group of enemies.

Same with an extraction. It doesn't matter what route you take because enemies are going to drop in all around you and know exactly where you are. Why not have them spawn in front? Have them radio their buddies your position? Send guys around to flank? I'm sure it's hard to program AI and all but, seems kinda weak to be honest.

I like the game, but, I'm going to back to some of the other 360 games I have half-finished first because as much as I start to get invested in it, some things piss me off. Oh another thing.

4. LOS

I have two guys in a UFO on overwatch at a door, somehow a floater gets right about one of the guys and murders him. No one sees him. I move guys around into position around that area to find the guy, still no one sees him. Finally need to take a chance and put a guy into the open so I can see him when he should've been clearly visible from the get go. Total bullshit.

I agree. My last straw with XCom was in an ironman match when one squaddie dying from an exploding car cause an upgraded heavy to panic and gun down the VIP I was supposed to protect.

Thing is the game's too easy without ironman, but by god it's just too f****** cheap with ironman on. Yes, some deaths seem reasonable and acceptable, but an alien scoring a critical hit against a soldier 12 tiles away behind FULL cover? F*** that s***.

And yes, the monster closets are also a pain, but to a lesser extent. They make flanking and any kind of movement while already fighting a set of enemies a death sentence, although it would be tolerable if they lowered the number of mobs to 1 or 2 in rare cases, instead of 3 at all times.

EDIT: In the mood to do more complaints:

1Height advantage doesn't do enough. At the minimum it needs to nullify partial cover for the target and make partial cover for the guy on top upgrade to full cover. The pathetic range bonus still isn't worth getting your guy killed the next turn over.

2All overwatch needs to trigger on enemy fire Currently there's one support upgrade path that does it and it's complete BS. If an enemy runs up to a wall my guy is overwatching and peaks out to fire, my guys just sit there scratching their balls. God, with the massive aim penalty AND moving targets getting an evasion boost, all OW does is leave your squad open. I've learned enough to avoid overwatch like the plague. At least Hunker Down gives worthwhile bonuses.

Agreed. Height advantage should make cover more effective for the soldier with the height advantage and weaken cover for the enemies on the ground.

Windcaler:

1. Speaking as a soldier of 6 years with 3 tours of duty under his belt I can say that its very easy for some people to panic at the first signs of fire. One can not simply look at a person and determine if they will be calm and cool or panicking in a fire fight. Ive seen people you would call badasses panic at the first shots and a "nerdy" person hold it together better then people who had been in more fire fights then me. Speaking from a realism standpoint I think its a fair mechanic except they dont continue panicking

Here's the problem, X-com has always had this mechanic, this isn't about whether panicking is a fair mechanic. In all the other X-com games, weapons were free at all times, meaning you could shoot at any point on the map even if there wasn't an enemy there. This would be useful if you wanted to blow a hole in a wall and ambush enemies from behind, something that's mostly lacking in this new game.

The problem is that in the old X-com games when soldiers panicked or went berserk they would shoot in random directions which may or may not hit your own soldiers. In the new game soldiers can't fire without a target. Imagine the situation, late night mission, the commander of all X-com forces seemingly explodes for no reason 15 minutes into the landing. The rookies start shooting into the dark in all directions because they're panicking and think they are shooting in the direction the threat is coming from, unknown to them a squad is in the dark behind the hedge ten meters to their left and they end up hitting them once with the bullets. That makes sense.

In the new X-com game when corporal "Flint" explodes for seemingly no reason, one of the rookies panics and targets the soldier next to him with a plasma rifle and drills him with several aimed shots to the head killing him instantly. That doesn't make sense and moreover isn't fair considering the action that causes a soldier to panic is a soldier dying. Meaning anytime a rank officer dies, you will probably lose another solider in addition to that if you have a rookie or weak willed person in the party.

Aeshi:
I think my two biggest complaints about X-Com from what little I've played are:

1. That enemies get a free movement whenever you spot them (I thought the whole point of a TURN-based game is that you can't move if it's not your turn? This is like an RTS where the other guy can freeze all your units whenever he feels like it)

2. The "Hit" Percentages (yes I know a 95% chance to hit has a 5% chance to miss, but when an Chrysalid or some other enemy manages to evade 3 such shots consecutively while it casually walks up to one of your guys and 1-shots them it starts to feel like the hit chance actually means nothing and what's important if whether the game wants you to hit or not.)

These are my only two complaints except that as well as point number two in Classic mode or higher the aliens get a huge bonus to hit sometimes making ridiculous shots. The movement is stupid too as not only do the aliens get a chance to move twice but get shots off too, why can't it be like the original X-Com where you could get the drop on aliens using actual tactics? They're cases of artificial difficulty that I really wish will get patched or modded out.

I can deal with my enemies panicking, the theater of war is a perilous and shit scary place so yeah, folk panic, not sure if they'd realistically shoot your teammates full on in the face but then again I've only had this happen once, the majority of the time, in my experience they take random pot shots at the enemy most of which miss.
My biggest frustration with this game is those giant robot things the enemy have, they just stand in the middle of the battle field bold as brass and unmissable, it's not like they could duck behind a dustbin and you'd just walk right by the thing, no, they are huge bullet magnets just missing the neon sign saying shoot at me, yet I find the %age chance of hitting them is generally 40-45% unless you are standing directly in front of them, WTF??? My 5 year old nephew couldn't miss flicking his bogeys at em they are so big, yet my elite fully trained snipers etc can't hit a effin tank!! Really fucks me off.

Why post twice?

As far as spotting, I try to never move forward on a soldier's 2nd move. Make one move, if something comes into sight, you can move accordingly.

Also, SELECT will end your turn. Before any enemies are spotted, use SELECT to end your turn and replenish soldiers to 2 moves.

A while back on the firaxis forums I found a guy who actually did the statistical analysis of the RNG. He recorded the number of shots at each hit percentage he took and then the number of shots he actually made. The result? Pretty close to the actual numbers listed. What was his conclusion? That the game seems to be more forgiving than you realize, his numbers tended to be just above what should have been recorded.

just a thought for those who seem to be yelling about the RNG

If I have one complaint, it's how crap the movement system is. I can't know when I'm in line of fire of an alien or vice versa, flanking makes no sense because the game registers you as flanking when it feels like it and it's a sign basically telling you to save scum your way to victory if you want a no death run.

That and the useless air combat thing. Damn that.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked