Let's Play: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: Update 14: Great Pain Temple

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Your true face... What kind of... face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?

Hello Escapists, my name is Yassen (well, not really) and I'll be taking you all on a weird and wonderful trip through the strange land of Termina which turns out to be Link's darkest and most interesting adventure to date. To me at least. Majora's Mask is by far my favourite Zelda game and one whose story is very open to interpretation. It was surprisingly dark for a Zelda game and made the unusual decision to be a direct sequel, something which rarely happens in this series. Depending on who you ask they'll tell you it's a poorly designed wreck that couldn't live up to the original, or a vastly superior sequel that takes the story in a far more dark and complex direction. To try and bring some recognition to this gem, I want to start a Let's Play that will finish this game 100%, and give me a chance to rant about how much I love kissing this games feet. But first, some questions.

Have you ever done a LP before?

Err... admittedly this is my first LP. I gave recording a LP a chance but I don't think it turned out very well. So hopefully this might turn out better.

What sort of LP is this?

This is a picture-based LP, mostly so I can speel inbetween shots and deconstruct certain scenes. And because I don't think I'm very funny when I record myself.

Why are you embarassing yourself like this?

I was inspired to do this by the excellent Let's Plays of woodaba and AD-Stu respectively. Wanting to bring some recognition to one of my favourite games and have some fun at the same time sounded like a good idea. We'll see how well it turns out. But again, I am new to this so bare with me.

Are you also new to the game?

I can practically play this game blind-folded. The difference this time is that I'm playing this on an emulator so the controls take some getting used to. But I know almost everything there is to know about this game, as well as numerous theories and interpretations of the story, which I will share with you as the LP progresses. If there's one thing I love, it's a good deconstruction.

Can I tell you how much you suck at this?

By all means, you'll be helping me. I'm very open to constructive criticism so feel free to tell me how I might improve and make the experience better for all of us.

Clock Town
Update 1: Down The Rabbit Hole
Update 2: Dancing Till The End of The World
Update 3: Groundhog Day: The Game
Update 4: The Hero of Faffing
Update 4.5: The Faffing Strikes Back

Southern Swamp
Update 5: The Swamps of Anger
Update 6: Woodfall And Blown Minds
Update 7: The Mini-Games of Truth

??
Time's End

Snowhead Mountains
Update 8: The One With Angus
Update 9: Place Your Bets

Romani Ranch
Update 10: I'm not sayin' it's aliens...
Update 11: Video segment? Blasphemy!

Great Bay
Update 12: Gay for Justice
Update 13: The Last of Faffing
Update 14: Great Pain Temple

Update: Let's say I don't check the Escapist forums like an obsessive chimp but want to know when you've updated, what do I do?

From now on if you wish to receive a message alerting you to a new update, all you have to do is add me as a friend. I'll return the gesture and send you a message with each new update. Easy!

Great start on this awesome game. I like most of your commentary,however the moment you didn't name your character Ben you lost all creditability[/sarcasm]. I always just assumed it was Navi because of her leaving at the end of Ocarina. He was looking for a friend who doesn't exist anymore. Most other friends he could easily find except who isn't Navi around anymore.

Sorry for rambling and I can't wait to see the next part.

Never thought about the Five Stages of Grief in regards to Majora's Mask (and I have played it almost as much as I have Ocarina of Time), but yeah you hit the nail on the head there.

That's all for this update, I'll do more later down the line if people enjoy this. Let me know what you think.

Oh man, the memories. This is the best Zelda game ever made, and was the game that convinced me that games could be more than just time-wasters. I'm super pumped for this LP, thanks for starting it!

One thing I've always found weird at the start of this game is just how helpless you feel. You are Link, the Hero of Time, slayer of Ganondorf, and general badass...and you get beaten by, as you say, an extra from the first game, and all that you own, all you are, is taken from you. It's genuinely unnerving, and really enforces the feeling that you're in a different world. However, I've always subscribed to the theory that Hyrule and Termina are two sides of the same coin.

I've heard of the stages of grief theory, and it's gonna be fascinating hearing your take on it.

Captain Creepy:
"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Chills down the spine, every time.

Awesome. Will monitor this thread. Majoras Mask is my favorite LoZ game by far.

Good LP, not full of text walls and actually has some interesting knowledge behind it. Looking forward to the rest.

woodaba:
Oh man, the memories. This is the best Zelda game ever made, and was the game that convinced me that games could be more than just time-wasters. I'm super pumped for this LP, thanks for starting it!

If doing this LP taught me anything, it's the appreciation for all the work you put into yours. All that copy and pasting of image links. But thank you for your comment, I'll endeavour to update this as often as I can. I'm having fun.

That's all for this update, if there's anything you'd like to see or for me to comment on just let me know.

Very interesting style of LP. I enjoy it. Keep up the solid work. *looks for shameless way to plug my own channel*

Yup. No way I can do that.

But seriously, I'll be keeping tabs on this. Drop by mine in my profile for more generic LP's.

I always pictured the Scarecrow with Barry White's voice. Don't ask me why, I just did.

That swordmaster has an incredible moustache. It actually stretched around and becomes his hair. That's right, technically, he's bald. All that fuzz is his glorious 'tache.

Yeah, I agree, I never found time management all that much of game-breaker. Sure, you have to do it, but the game's main story would be incredibly short otherwise. Besides, the backwards song of time has never let me down, you just gotta plan your time carefully, spend a day or two learning the lay of the land, and you'll be fine.

One spoilery thing, will we be getting the

woodaba:

That swordmaster has an incredible moustache. It actually stretched around and becomes his hair. That's right, technically, he's bald. All that fuzz is his glorious 'tache.

One spoilery thing, will we be getting the

I actually forgot about that bit with his 'tache, I'll come back to him since he has a piece of heart.

And we shall indeed be getting that, I want to make this 100% and that is pretty important. Whether or not I use it I'm still deciding. Maybe I'll show it off on the other bosses, but fight Majora the old fashioned way.

This was a rather short update, this would be due to me playing the game the first time all the way up to here, which took more shots than expected. I've also been playing a "test game" ahead of this one to prepare for certain stuff and I've run into a snag. Trying to aim certain weapons with the keyboard is unbearably painful, so just so I can actually hit shit I've had to buy a controller and adapter.

I'll still be able to update, but there might be some things I'll skip until I can actually aim. I never realized just how demanding some of these mini-games are, they require absolute 100% accuracy and timing, which I can't do with a keyboard. Harsh eh? Anyway, hope you enjoyed the update.

The song of healing was my ringtone for a while. That's how good it is.

And yet more creepiness from Happy Mask man. I love how the game makes no qualms of implying that the Salesman runs around melting people's faces off with music and selling them to other people. Ok, he specifically mentions "evil", but that doesn't comfort the idea that if you buy a mask from this creep, you might be wearing someone else's face. Y'know, for kids!

I can't tell whether this is extremely vague foreshadowing, or just Nintendo injecting our childhoods with High Octane Nightmare Fuel.

I love this. Are you planning on explaining all the area's grief stages?

Gurgleflob:
I love this. Are you planning on explaining all the area's grief stages?

Thank you, glad you're enjoying this. Yes, I shall we expanding on the stages of grief every time I enter a new area. I had to stop myself from spewing about the whole theory at the very start and leaving you all mentally unsatisfied before this LP even gets going. I'm trying to spread things out a bit, but if a theory applies to a single character or area I'll spew my idea chunks.

Subbed. Great work so far, and I'm glad to know someone else besides me watches TFS. :P

It seems I've messed up and accidentily deleted half my update. And while I did write them into word, I had also deleted those when I thought this posted successfully. So since those are now gone, I'll guess I'll call it quits here and redo the rest tomorrow.

Excuse me while I go cry, enjoy the update.

With that ends the second part of my faffing about series. It's mostly me getting hearts and masks, and some commentary on the characters, as well as doing more of Kafei's and Anju's quest. Enjoy.

Yassen:
It seems I've messed up and accidentily deleted half my update. And while I did write them into word, I had also deleted those when I thought this posted successfully. So since those are now gone, I'll guess I'll call it quits here and redo the rest tomorrow.

Excuse me while I go cry, enjoy the update.

I know the pain all too well, friend.

On this update I travel through the Southern Swamp, meet talking monkey's and finally end outside the Woodfall Temple. Enjoy!

The expression on that monkey's face after his...er..."dip" roughly encapsulates my reaction as a kid. I seriously thought he was dead, for a moment.

Funnily enough, I didn't think the teleportation-explody-feather thing was scary. I thought it was awesome, for some reason. I was a strange child.

Good to see you back, keep up the great work! This thread has been an incredibly nostalgia bomb for me, so much so that I'm playing through the game myself now. So much awesome.

woodaba:
Good to see you back, keep up the great work! This thread has been an incredibly nostalgia bomb for me, so much so that I'm playing through the game myself now. So much awesome.

Glad you're enjoying it! It was soon after I started this LP I learnt that people have actually developed HD texture packs for Majora's Mask. I've seen one in action and it looked amazing! Unfortunately I can't find the same one, and the one I found is glitchy and some of the textures don't work.

I was hoping to use it for the rest of the LP, but alas, curse my ineptitude.

In this update, I brave the dark depths of Woodfall temple, and after an intense fight I blow your mind. Enjoy the update, and let me know what you think of my little theories.

I should be doing other stuff but this LP caught and held my attention. I really enjoyed it! I always get anxiety in games where I have some sort of deadline, so MM wasn't my favorite LoZ game ever, but this is bringing back all the good memories I have of it, without the sense of "oh crap if I don't hurry up I'm going to lose the game!", so good job.

Ahem. Slight spoilers below.

Moving swiftly on.

I've always loved the boss battle here. You're right: it actually feels like a boss battle rather than a test to make sure you can use the new item you've got. It's much more involving than the "throw bombs at my stupidly obvious weak spot" trap that so many Zelda bosses fall into. Skyward Sword was really bad for this. God, I hate that game.

Another great update. You did indeed blow my mind with that, and it's a testament to your incredible expertise with this game. My current playthrough of MM is still focused on me fucking around in Clock Town, partly because of your in-depth sidequest coverage has led me to pull an All Mask run for the first time in almost a decade.

Still, thoroughly enjoying, keep it up!

Some good news and bad news folks. The bad news is I was hoping to do another update tonight (especially since I finally got my N64 controller to work) but I accidentily deleted all my progress literally throughout my entire Southern Swamp section. Meaning I'll have to do all that jazz again to get back to where I was before. Fun fun.

The good news though is rather than leave you hanging, I've got some Majora's Mask themed goodies for you to enjoy. The last of which will be a conversation I had with a friend of mine, and to keep her identity secret I'll simple be calling her H. There will be some spoilers, so this is only really for veterans of MM.

I quite like this video, great clips from the game with an appropiate song. Full Moon, how can you get more appropiate than that?

I've also found some amazing fan art. Such as this

However this has to be one of my favourites.

But can't forget this. They've drawn a unique concept for Majora and actually plays into a theory about where Majora actually comes from.

This is just exceptional skill.

This comes up in our conversation towards the end, it's too funny not to include.

That'll do for the fan stuff, here's the conversation we had, you've been warned.

Hope you enjoyed this brief filler, I'll be sure to spend tomorrow actually progressing without fucking up yet again.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here