Assassins Creed 3 PS3: Buggiest AAA Game of the Decade?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Forewarning: I tend to rant. I'm not trolling, I just tend to rant. So be wary of the ranting. If you don't like ranting, don't read please.

I've played some stinkers in the past, I fully admit I have an open habit of picking games that are terrible and bug ridden and finding so much I love about them, then pestering my mates into playing the games past the bugs. Recently I bought Assassins Creed 3, and I opted for the Ps3 version over the Xbox version as I have the luxury of owning both consoles, and the ps3 version has extra missions.

I can say hands down the Ps3 version is the buggiest piece of amateurish game development I've ever had the misfortune of playing. From small things like costumes that don't show up in cinematic and a complete lack of Anti-Aliasing, to major bugs like performance which gets increasingly worse the longer you play, like some kind of memory leak for consoles (How do you screw that up when consoles have one size for all RAM???) and quest missions that won't complete because the game just doesn't respond to their being completed. Heck I even found an area in the underground with textures flying across the water stretched at every angle with odd Technicolor walls everywhere, I usually only see that kind of thing with driver issues on a PC game.

I like Gothic, I even like Hunted, I've played Arcanum without patches from Retail and I've slit my wrists on Stalker release candidate. But the PS3 version of Assassins Creed 3 by far is the worst example of a complete lack of Q&A and testing I've ever come across in my 20 years of gaming. This isn't even by AAA standards, this is by game standards. Its kind of like ubisoft used the Q&A and testing plans for someones hobbiest freeware game.

And what makes this the worst of all, is the game has so much potential. There is a good game under all this terrible terrible bugginess. People are enjoying the Xbox360 version clearly. But the PS3 version is a nightmare. And despite how used to buggy games I am by now, I honestly can't find myself enjoying the game except during sailing missions (cause those rock, throw away the rest and make a pirate game Ubisoft!).

I hereby nominate Assassins Creed 3's PS3 version for buggiest AAA game of the decade. What do you think? Do you agree? Do you share my hate of the PS3 version and lament the loss of what should be a great game?

Am I right in calling the PS3 version of Assassins Creed 3 the buggiest AAA game of the decade? Most importantly, what's been your experience with Assassins Creed 3?

I agree. Which is a shame because the game does this thing where it draws me in REALLY FUCKING WELL and then nope disappearing enemy and shit like that pisses me off.

Fine then Ubisoft, don't make me want to like your game.

I didn't have any real problems with it honestly.

Though there was that one cutscene where Conner was invisible while holding a crate of tea. But that was more hilarious than frustrating. Also civilians popping in and out.

Selvec:

Am I right in calling the PS3 version of Assassins Creed 3 the buggiest AAA game of the decade? Most importantly, what's been your experience with Assassins Creed 3?

Looks like somebody didnt play any bethesda game on ps3.

I've also had some bugs in ACIII but only in the first couple of hours.

Nomination accepted, won, award given, and put on Ubisoft's fabled "Here's what we Fucked Up" shelf proudly displayed in their front office. Words can't describe how badly this game is put together. They didn't even bother to use fucking duct tape, they grabbed Elmer's and popsicle sticks to hold this thing together. Currently experiencing glitches for Boston Brawlers challenges, Hunting challenges, Naval convoys, free running, numerous graphical problems (Connor not having hair/having it cut in and out of cutscenes... hilarious), and a plethora of shit I'm not going to list. Eat shit Ubisoft, since it's what you're feeding us. Don't even get me started on the story. That's another matter entirely.

Selvec:
Words of wisdom and insight

But bro, we got four additional and exclusive missions! I'm so glad that we got to have an extra 20 minutes of shitty missions so we could turn in Benedict Arnold and laugh at his silly plan!

No this is garbage.

Sorry for your troubles. I hope that the PC version will be better.

Anyway, for those that want a laugh:

You poor bastards! I've got a new ps3 and haven't come across any of those issues. The game froze on me once in Boston but that's it. I'm in sequence 9 atm.

EDIT: The above post is hilarious. :D

Yeah, this kinda reminds me of when Red Dead Redemption was released. The whole world had these hilarious glitches, and I went through the entire game without seeing one....

predatorpulse7:
Sorry for your troubles. I hope that the PC version will be better.

As this is Ubisoft people will be stuck with their always online DRM yet again.

That's pretty bad.

I still nominate Skyrim though. That game was just flat out broken on PS3. Bethesda had absolutely no right to release it in the state it was in for the PS3, and gamers should have crucified them for their complete lack of any integrity.

Nope, I'm at sequence 6 and haven't had any issues so far at all (PS3 as well, by the way)
Oh, except for a battle with a floating musket one time, but that just made me laugh

AC3 is the buggiest of the lot, at least for me. I don't remember seeing this amount of problems in any of the other instalments. And all but one I bought day one.

This could have bothered me, but it just really made me laugh:

But, as long as nothing to the magnitude of Skyrim comes along, I'm not bothered about the bugs.

Its true I never played Skyrim on console. Kinda bought it for PC because thats where the series belongs/originated. Also I expected the bugs. Where as Assassins Creed 3 started on consoles, has been developed first and foremost for consoles, and yet seems to be terrible in terms of bugs. Given that even the original wasn't this bad, and the previous titles where all pretty nicely polished, I'd say it was reasonable to expect the fourth one to be top notch. Instead its a nightmare.

Oh and you know, ending. /wrist. I'm expecting the series to go MMO. Cause thats the cool thing to do these days.

Jack Rascal:
AC3 is the buggiest of the lot, at least for me. I don't remember seeing this amount of problems in any of the other instalments. And all but one I bought day one.

But, as long as nothing to the magnitude of Skyrim comes along, I'm not bothered about the bugs.

Yup, experienced this. Really a PS3 issue only on this particular clip? Shameful.

A critique from me has nothing to do with PS3 version: I hate being forced to do stealth. Games like Deus Ex give you a choice. Stealth if you want, run and gun if you like.

I'm doing a mission where it would be soooo easy to kill bad guys and instead, the game resets every time I'm caught!

Casual Shinji:
I didn't have any real problems with it honestly.

Though there was that one cutscene where Conner was invisible while holding a crate of tea. But that was more hilarious than frustrating. Also civilians popping in and out.

Connor was visible for me, however the captain during the Haythem sequence when he ordered him to go below decks(just before Mills confronts you) was completely missing all his facial animations. Mouth, eyes, everything. I thought it was hilarious.

I kinda disagree for Buggiest AAA Game of the Decade. I've got the PS3 version and I've literally come across only 2 bugs. Once when the captain forgot he had any facial animations, and once when my Sawtooth Sword got unequipped and sent back to Homestead after I finished the final sequence of the game. I've seen far buggier games than ACIII.

The game stuck me on top of a fence post and wouldn't let me jump off until I restarted the checkpoint.

The game during the (Incredibly poorly designed excuses for) chase missions frequently fills a narrow alley to thr brim with NPC's. Seriously the one in the start of I think sequence 8? I coundted 30 npc's in a corridor not 4 metres long.

The graphics are also hit and miss, a hell of a lot of clipping between models happens and the lip syncing is not acceptable.

The game is just unfinished, like many games have been recently (Battlefield 3 and Warfighter being obvious ones). It's also jsust not as good as 2, they've somehow managed to chase after CoD with a game about subtley stabbing historical figures.

Apparently, you guys have not played an Obsidian or Bethesda game... way worse imo

Only glitch I've experienced so far is that one guy in the cutscene whose mouth doesn't move. But then I haven't played very far yet, so we'll see.

But does it dethrone Fallout: New Vegas?

Performance issues with PS3 games tend to be more due to the individual console rather than the games.

It especially comes up on refurbished PS3's, maybe that has something to do with it?

i just recently got the assassins creed 3 500GB ps3 bundle. The only bad issues i've had are background npcs getting caught in the camera during cutscenes so you cant really see whats going on but can hear it..

I have experienced none of those major problems and who really cares about seeing your costume in a cutscene? That's just one of those things where if you let it get to you, it ruins the game and you should just ignore it.

I haven't had that many problems. Sure, the outfit that I have doesn't tranfer during cutscenes. Some cutscenes are a bit weird. However, I haven't have seen game breaking bugs. Buggiest game of this generation? No! Have you played an Obsidian game?

Captcha: Shaken, not stirred.

Tomorow M.Bond, tomorow.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. People have forgotten the atrocities of the Mojave.

I've got the PS3 version. Admittedly I have only finished sequence 3 but other than once time when the Captain's facial animations didn't play and townsfolk in the distance disappearing as I get closer, I have noticed no issues. I will agree with a poster above that the lip-sync is pretty bad, but otherwise, the game seems pretty polished to me.

And though I haven't played Skyrim yet (though I've owned it for over a year now, I think), I remember having to cold boot my PS3 numerous times in playing Fallout: New Vegas. As long as the game isn't crashing, I'm okay.

And those animations in post 7 are simply hilarious!

Nah, I've voting for Skyrim. Quests not activating, dragons flying backward, people sinking into the ground, trophies not popping after you complete the requirements, items getting stuck on the floor of your home, armor disappearing once placed on stands, books vanishing when placed on shelves, followers not equipping gear...and those are ones that only I personally ran into. In one playthrough. There are dozens more. Still a blast to play though.

I have run into a few bugs in Assassin's Creed III, like grass 'growing' right in front of me (texture popup), or entire crowds of people vanishing as I get close to them, and the game did freeze on me once.

Jack Rascal:

That happened to me too. I was so worried that the entire game was going to be like that, but so far it's just been that one scene.

It is really buggy, but still a great game. (I have the Xbox version)

Also, this is 2012. We still have 8 more years in this decade friend. Wait till then to declare a game "Buggiest of the Decade."

Mr.Squishy:

That's what I'm thinking here. I haven't got AC3 but FNV had so many bugs (still has quite a few after the patches). Some of the big ones on that game I noticed.

Doors that should open that don't, once was game breaking.
The game taking longer to load areas the longer you played it, eventually took near 5 minutes to load 1 area.
Some characters not located where they were meant to be (ranger ghost wasn't on her roof, but actually behind the other buildings way near the back)
Bugs not walking on land, but inside it.
Excessive crashing.
Some missions becoming incomplete-able. I think there was one where you can plant a bomb on a train? somehow you can make it so that it can't be completed.

There are more but I can't remember a lot of them. So far I haven't heard of any game breaking level bugs from AC3. Annoying ones though I've heard there are plenty.

EDIT: I forgot this

I've noticed a few bugs here and there (360 version), one of them requiring a memory restart (interactive bit not showing up); the thing I've noticed is that some animations seem to be...missing. Like when Connor draws his tomahawk and knife, he goes for the tomahawk while a knife just appears in the other hand. It's...really jarring.

The game has far too many bugs, many more than it can justify, considering the core game-play hasn't changed since 3 games ago. But I wouldn't say that it is the buggiest triple A game from the last decade, no.

I have the xbox version and most of my glitches are visual, with the occasional "failing the mission as soon as the cutscene is finished" (as in, less than a second after).

i have the 360 version, its been little glitchy with people popping out of nowhere and stuff, soldiers too, which is annoying if you're sneaking around. nothing game breaking and no freezing which is good. maybe im just lucky?

also, wtf's up with the horses changing colours every time you whistle or have to go through a loaded zone? in Brotherhood you can whistle for the last horse you had, even when you stop playing the game :) i had the black horse the entire game, named him Inky. i wish AC3 would do the same.

Emmmmmmmm...

I'm not entirely sure what you're complaining about, to be honest. I've finished the game on the PS3, and I didn't really encounter anything like what you're describing. Closest thing to a 'bug' I've seen is when I triggered a cutscene while running from guards, and one of the guards was standing in the middle of the 'scene, obscuring the camera. Aside from that, I've had no problems. Performance issues? None at all. Perfectly happy with the PS3 version.

Buggiest AAA game of the decade? I wouldn't even give it an award for buggiest AAA game of the year.

PieBrotherTB:
I've noticed a few bugs here and there (360 version), one of them requiring a memory restart (interactive bit not showing up); the thing I've noticed is that some animations seem to be...missing. Like when Connor draws his tomahawk and knife, he goes for the tomahawk while a knife just appears in the other hand. It's...really jarring.

I noticed that a lot more in the Desmond sequence near the end than with Connor. I did see it though

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked