What other shooters can learn from Mass Effect

Pages PREV 1 2

MiriaJiyuu:
To your point about having 19 people. Honestly, it's a little excessive. You don't need that many, you just need 5 or 6 well developed characters in a game-universe that is consistent and feels alive. That's what the Mass Effect series had.

But even then, it's there's some truth involved to what I said.

In Mass Effect 1, Shepard had six teammates, with Wrex either dead or leaving the group in later installments, and either Kaiden or Ash also dead, depending on who survived Virmire. Garrus and Tali would also be amongst those original six teammates, but would later become two of the ten teammates in Mass Effect 2, twelve if you count Zaeed and Kasumi. In-turn, this makes fourteen teammates in both Mass Effects 1 and 2, sixteen if you count the DLC teammates in ME2.

Then, when you add EDI, James Vega, and Javik into the mix, you get nineteen teammates in the entire trilogy...

EternalNothingness:

If there is anything other shooters can learn from Mass Effect, it's to create ensemble casts with strong, well-written personalities and motives,

Mass effect's characters are not well written at all, they're shallow and lack luster and it seems Bioware's idea of writing good characters is to just give them an annoying and pretentious homoerotic romance option.

Also I completley disagree with your argument entirely and I think almost the opposite. Shooters need to STOP having such a focus on storyline because it is usually just an excuse to cover up bad gameplay(which is what they did in ME.)If you look at some of the greatest shooters ever, Doom, Quake, Half-life 1 etc You'll notice all of them have extremely simple storylines, and why is that? because they don't need to have good storylines when they have extremely solid gameplay. And while I agree a good story can make a game, Kotor 2 for example, some people seem to have forgotten Games are not films, nor books and that their main, primary focus still should be GAMEPLAY AND NOT STORYLINES.

Call me bitter but i'd say the lesson is 'dont take an RPG with shooter elements and turn it into a shooter with rpg elements and finally a shooter with laughable bits of rpg elements stuck on with sellotape'

But hey, i loved ME1, disliked ME2 and hated ME3 with a passion

pilouuuu:
I thought it was the shooter part that was the worst part of Mass Effect. It was just hiding in cover, shoot, hide and reload,

Hmm, it's almost as if that's how a gunfight is supposed to work...

Bhaalspawn:

pilouuuu:
I thought it was the shooter part that was the worst part of Mass Effect. It was just hiding in cover, shoot, hide and reload,

Fun gameplay e.g. Quake where you get to run around at high speed rocket jumping over walls and blasting monsters in the face with your sawn off is a lot better than supposedly realistic cover based shooting(which isn't realistic at all anyway.)

Bhaalspawn:

pilouuuu:

Personally, the gunfights I like best are the ones that are more like chuck-a-grenade, charge-in-to-mop-up-the-survivors, realise-a-mini-boss-has-snuck-up-behind-you, light-it-on-fire-with-a-special-move, flee-round-a-corner, reload, go-back-to-teach-him-some-manners.

Not a big fan of "realism" (whatever that means today).

OT: Mass Effect is an RPG with shooting. The pace is far too slow for a full shooter because it's bulked out with all the dialogue scenes required to a) tell the story and b) make you invest in the characters. It's great if you like that sort of thing, but it's not what a lot of shooter fans are looking for.

Olikar:

Bhaalspawn:

pilouuuu:

Fun gameplay e.g. Quake where you get to run around at high speed rocket jumping over walls and blasting monsters in the face with your sawn off is a lot better than supposedly realistic cover based shooting(which isn't realistic at all anyway.)

Play a Vanguard. Or an N7 Fury. I have played quite a bit of Doom, and let me just say this if there is anything like the Doom guy in gaming today it's the N7 Fury. Jumping through walls Biotic explosions everywhere dodging bullets, rockets, and powers. Running at like twice the speed of everyone else. It's fun. It's only in the multiplier though. Still fucking awesome!

EternalNothingness:

MiriaJiyuu:
To your point about having 19 people. Honestly, it's a little excessive. You don't need that many, you just need 5 or 6 well developed characters in a game-universe that is consistent and feels alive. That's what the Mass Effect series had.

But even then, it's there's some truth involved to what I said.

In Mass Effect 1, Shepard had six teammates, with Wrex either dead or leaving the group in later installments, and either Kaiden or Ash also dead, depending on who survived Virmire. Garrus and Tali would also be amongst those original six teammates, but would later become two of the ten teammates in Mass Effect 2, twelve if you count Zaeed and Kasumi. In-turn, this makes fourteen teammates in both Mass Effects 1 and 2, sixteen if you count the DLC teammates in ME2.

Then, when you add EDI, James Vega, and Javik into the mix, you get nineteen teammates in the entire trilogy...

Yeah I more meant for just one game that is not Mass Effect you only really need a few well developed characters. Mass Effect is just an example that it can be done.

Even then in Mass Effect 2 I felt like there was too many people on occasion.

kman123:
I think this should be renamed into 'What other shooters can learn from Spec Ops: The Line'.

Good call. This game left me with chills running down my back after seeing all the endings. I doubt that future shooters will manage to get the same impact anytime soon.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked