Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Halo: Combat Evolved
Bastion
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy IV

In No Particular Order

System Shock 2
FFVI
Mass Effect 2 (loved every charecter, except Jacob)
Bauldars Gate 2
Shadows of the Collosus
Silent Hill 2
Thief 2: The Metal Age
Deus Ex
Daggerfall
Ultima VII

Honorable Mentions go to: DE:HR, Dragon Age: Origins, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid 3, Bioshock, FFIV, KoToR, System Shock, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Hitman: Blood Money, XCOM, Jade Empire, Spec Ops The Line, the Wing Commander series (sans Privateer 2), Syndicate (the real Syndicate not it's mutated FPS offspring) and Ultima's IV V VII pt2 and the Stygian Abyss.

In no particular order:

Borderlands 2
Diablo III
World of Warcraft
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Warcraft III
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
Pokemon: Black 2
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Couldn't ever put them in order, but I'll elaborate a little:

Chrono Trigger-Best Jrpg I've ever played, more need dual/triple techs and time travel has never been implemented so excellently.
Rez-I've played it over 100 times. The perfect way to test your TV/sound system in the dark with 3 trance vibrators.
Shadow of the Colossus-Pacing, exploration, the colossi themselves are brilliant. One of the few examples of gameplay,story,mechanics, and setting working together for a central purpose.
Dark Souls-One of the examples I mentioned above. Every aspect plays into the isolation and indifference of the world. Fucking brilliant a midst the games released in the years before it.
Final Fantasy VI-This game and Chrono Trigger could by themselves be legitimate reasons to purchase an entire SNES.
Silent Hill 2-Atmospheric horror done right. Pacing, restraint and refusing to blow your load up front are lessons this taught and are largely ignored.
Okami-I was debating whether to put Zelda:LttP or OoT here, until I realized Okami did everything they did only much better with a beautiful art style.
Binding of Issac-Can't really explain it, makes the roguelike-style approachable and can rely too much on random-ness, but I've put way too many hours into it and it's brilliant.
Bayonetta-Everything I hoped DMC 4 would be, with so much more I didn't know I wanted. Kicks your ass in all the right ways.
Super Mario World-Nintendo was very smart in bundling this. Everything about SMB executed masterfully, with secrets that you had to truly work for. I wore out controllers with this game alone.

Edited for accidental double post

Pokemon Red/Blue - The one game I could play for all eternity... I know everything there is to know about this game, but I still cannot help myself from popping it into my gameboy once ever 6 months to play through it again.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - The very first game I ever played. I was 3 1/2 and we had just got a Sega Genesis... this was the game packaged with it. ABSOLUTE BLISS

Halo: Combat Evolved - The game that finally made me embrace shooters (as it did for many people). I could play 1 on 1 on Hang 'Em High all day long... and have on several occasions. LAN party anyone?

Super Mario Galaxy - The pinnacle of the Mario franchise (sorry SMB 3). Probably the single best game released for this console generation, aside from...

Skyrim - Nothing more needs to be said about this game.

Mario Party 2 - The game that murders friendships... I was a late adopter of this game, but many a drunk night has been spent stealing stars with my friends.

Pokemon Snap - Now, I realize this isn't necessarily the BEST game, but it is definitely in my top 10 simply out of the sheer number of hours I have spent getting JUUUUST the right angle on that picture of Vulpix

Dr. Mario - Video game crack. Once you start a level, you cannot stop for hours. Such a simple puzzle game, but so addictive.

Portal - This game was a triumph. I'm making a note here, huge success! (I'm sorry..)

Diddy Kong Racing - Another homer pick on my part, but this game, aside from Sonic 2, was probably the most important factor in me becoming a "gamer." After this came out I realized that I would continue this hobby of mine for years to come

And yes, I do realize this list marks me as a considerably more "casual" gamer than some of you, but I stand by this list wholeheartedly. These games are forever part of who I am today. So whatevs

Not any particular order:
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Okami
Portal 2
Skyrim
Final Fantasy (Most of them)
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
Assassin's Creed (Revelations and 3)
Ratchet and Clank (1, 2, and 3)

This list changes just as often as a "Favorite Song list, but...

1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Pokemon Soul Silver
5. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6. Castlevania
7. Mega Man 2
8. Saints Row 2
9. Super Smash Bros. Melee
10.Skyrim

As pretty much everyone is saying, in no particular order

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Sonic The Hedgehog 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 4
Hitman: Blood Money
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Orange Box (it counts!)
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

in no particular order

Thief 2:The metal age
Fallout 1
Killer7
The Binding of Isaac
Sly 2:Band of thieves
Counter-Strike 1.6
Team fortress 2
Deus ex
Grand theft auto:San Andreas
Need for speed:Hot Pursuit 2

Wonder wonder...

WarcraftIII
Zelda Skyward Sword
Okami
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Pokemon Red
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Tales of Symphonia
Lotro

Another one of these huh...
In order!
1)Final Fantasy IX (My favorite game of all time)
2)Kingdom Hearts 2 (One of the best sequels of all time in sheer amount of added content)
3)Persona 3 Portable (Bought it on impulse...so damn glad I did!)
4)Persona 4 (Golden will most likely surpass P3P)
5)Oblivion (My ultimate adventure game!)
6)Devil May Cry 3 (The definitive hack n slash!)
7)Fallout New Vegas (Never gets old!)
8)The Sims 2 (too much fun!)
9)Devil Survivor 2 (I have a particular liking to this game)
10)Grand Theft Auto IV (V will most likely top it!)

In no particular order, and no duplicate franchises, and only off the top of my hat ... or rather: my Steam lib.

Fallout New Vegas
Mass Effect (1)
Star Wars, KotoR (1 & 2)
Left 4 Dead (1)
Half Life (entire)
Psychonauts
Assassin's Creed (1 & 2)
Bastion
Borderlands (1 & 2)
Alpha Protocol

You put your right hand in, you put your right hand out, you type your Top Ten favorite games and you shake it all about. You do this list that you've done a thousand times before, but hey it's fun, and that's what it's all about.

This list is probably inaccurate. I'm very fickle and forgetful. I seem to have chosen an "of all time" list rather than a current list.

[sarcasm]In a very meticulous and unalterable order[/sarcasm]

Team Fortress 2
Counter-Strike 1.6 and lower
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
KOTOR 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns
Rollercoaster Tycoon

In no particular order
Dynasty Warriors 7
Dead Rising 2
Resident Evil Revelations
Super Mario Bros 3
Mass Effect
Blazblue Continuum Shift
Mario Kart 7
Left 4 Dead 2
Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword
Battlefield Bad Company 2

1. Battletanx: Global Assault
2. The entire Halo Franchise
3. Pokemon Gold and Diamond/Platinum
4. Metroid Prime 1 and 2
5. Fallout 3
6. Dead Space
7. Star Fox 64
8. Super Smash Brothers Melee
9. Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2
10. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time

Honorables: Skyrim, Starwars Rogue Squadron, Castle Crashers

There you go. Relatively well balanced and fair.

Spyro The Dragon
Mass Effect
Tenchu Stealth Assassins
Legacy Of Kain 2: Soul Reaver
Fable The Lost Chapters
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis(I swear I have never been so scared playing a game all my life. Hats off to the Nemesis)
Jersey Devil
Syphon Filter

Though I have a feeling that once I finally play all of Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution, Dishonored, ad a few others...this list might change.

1. Happy Wheels
2. Halo (all but Reach)
3. Borderlands 1+2
4. Half Life 2
5. Dead Space 1+2
6. Mass Effect Trilogy
7. Minecraft
8. Miner Dig Deep (XBLA Indie title. Fucking legit!)
9. Bulletstorm
10. Diablo III

In no particular order...

1. System Shock 2 (1999)
2. Deus Ex (2000)
3. Fallout 2 (1998, although the entire franchise would be on here if I had space)
4. Mass Effect 2 (2010, although all three would be on here if I had space)
5. Jagged Alliance 2 (1999)
6. City of Heroes (2004)
7. StarCraft (1998)
8. Max Payne (2001)
9. Resident Evil (Remake, 2002)
10. U.N. Squadron (SNES version, 1991)

As they occur to me, so this list is far from definitive (or in order... really, they're just games I love that have been on my mind recently for one reason or another)

Super Metroid (3)
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy VI
Unreal Tournament (1999)
Phantasy Star IV
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Chrono Trigger
Knights of the Old Republic
Shadowrun (SNES)
Dragon Warrior IV

CarolusRex:

You'd put black 2 above the first? I didn't think it was as good. Actually, you're the first person I've seen do that.

TizzytheTormentor:

Awesome! Someone else also puts FFIX first on their list. Seems like that game gets forgotten a lot, overlooked in favour of FFVII and FFVIII. Its a shame, too- it has the best characters and story from almost any game.

OT: I don't have 10.
1) Final Fantasy IX
2) Half Life 2
3) Persona 3
4) Sins of A Solar Empire: Trinity (specifically with the Distant Stars mod, but vanilla is epic too)
5) Pokemon White

You know, I don't think I've ever posted my top 10 here before.

If you're one of the 0 people on this site who know me, you'll know that this list is in "gun to my head" format. Ideally I would allow for ties (which means that there would be an additional 12 games on this list), but since that would be unsporting, here are the 10:

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Riven
3. Journey
4. Ico
5. Guild Wars 2
6. Final Fantasy XI
7. Machinarium
8. Botanicula
9. Aquaria
10. Dragon Age: Origins

Trivia 1: two games on this list (Silent Hill 2 and Ico) both saw their initial release on the same day: September 24th, 2001.
Trivia 2: three games on this list (Journey, Guild Wars 2, and Botanicula) were released in 2012. NO ONE MAKES GOOD GAMES ANYMORE

Things may change when I get around to playing Okami and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Fractral:

CarolusRex:

You'd put black 2 above the first? I didn't think it was as good. Actually, you're the first person I've seen do that.

TizzytheTormentor:

Awesome! Someone else also puts FFIX first on their list. Seems like that game gets forgotten a lot, overlooked in favour of FFVII and FFVIII. Its a shame, too- it has the best characters and story from almost any game.

1) Final Fantasy IX
2) Half Life 2
3) Persona 3
4) Sins of A Solar Empire: Trinity (specifically with the Distant Stars mod, but vanilla is epic too)
5) Pokemon White

Actually I would as well.

Pokemon World Tournament is fucking awesome. Also the New Team Plasma is cool.

1. Kingdom Hearts 2
2. Baldur's Gate 2
3. Tales of Phantaisa
4. Star Wars: The Old Republic
5. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops
7. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
8. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
9. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
10. Darksiders 2

Let's see. I'm probably forgetting something major here, but here is my list as of now.

Morrowind
Metroid Prime
Pokemon (no specific game, just the series in general)
Psychonauts
Half Life 2
Mario Kart Double Dash
Nehrim (total conversion mod for Oblivion)
Super Smash Brothers Brawl (might be Melee, but I haven't had a chance to play it in years)
The Binding of Isaac
IVAN (an excellent free rougelike)

And here are a few games that may end up being on the list, but I haven't played enough of to judge yet.

Okami (just got it, and it's amazing)
Demons' Souls (Love it, but I haven't actually finished it yet)
Gothic 2 (same as above)
Planescape Torment (again, haven't actually finished it yet)
Hawken (I'm in the beta, and, with some tweaking, it could easily be in my top ten)
Dishonored (Finished my first playthrough, but I've had too much other stuff to play to see how it holds up on multiple playthroughs)

Terminate421:

Fractral:

CarolusRex:

TizzytheTormentor:

1) Final Fantasy IX
2) Half Life 2
3) Persona 3
5) Pokemon White

I couldn't put my finger on it... yeah, World Tournament is awesome, and yeah the new stuff is cool, but it just lacked something for me. It felt kinda empty, really. Like how after you get to undella town nothing really happens for an hour, you just wind your way through to Opelucid city. It was the most boring part of the game for me. I had the same problem with all of HG/SS- the entire of the Kanto area just felt dead to me.
Though that gym leader who seemed to be permanently stoned was epic. And what happens after you beat Drayden- well, I won't spoil it but it was so awesome. I was so shocked at that.

ive never acctually dont one of these and will be surprised if anyone reads this

1. freespace 2
2. freespace 1 (see what i did there)
3. suikoden 3 really any suikoden game
4. any jedi knight game
5. goldeneye (nostalgia)
6. rouge galaxy
7. RTCW
8. kessen 2
9. The Entire Total war series should be higher
10. master of orion 2

special mentions go to freelancer, phonix wright, heroes of might and magic and, ace combat 5

In unparticular order:

1 American McGee's Alice
2 Alice: Madness Returns
3 Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
4 Max Payne
5 Saint's Row 2
6 Bioshock
7 Silent Hill 2
8 Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
9 Sanitarium
10 The GTA IV video editor. Shut up it counts, because because. D:

Order no particular in:

Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Half-Life 2
Portal
Starcraft: Brood War
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
Super Smash Brothers Melee
C&C Generals
Lineage II (old chronicles)
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

In no particular order

Assassins Creed Series
Mass Effect Series
InFamous Series
KotOR II
Dragon Age: Origins
Saints Row 2
GTA San Andreas
Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Uncharted Series

Although there are some good games on my list, it's mostly down to nostalgia (that's code for 'don't judge me')

1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2. Skies of Arcadia
3. Little Big Adventure 2
4. Mass Effect 1
5. Half Life 2
6. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
7. Grim Fandango
8. Psychonauts
9. Assassin's Creed 2
10. Beyond Good and Evil

Oh God, ten? I'll give it a try...

No particular order other than the number one.
Deus Ex
Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed 2
GTA IV (Yeah, that's right, I actually really liked that game)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Far Cry Instincts
Tony Hawk's Underground (These two= fond childhood memories)
Deus Ex Human Revolution (maybe it's too early considering it hasn't been around too long, but dammit, I LOVED this game. The atmosphere, the art direction, incredible.)
Portal 2
GTA San Andreas

uh let's see here
MGS3
CoD4
Shadow of the Colossus
Portal
Uncharted 2
Bastion
Spec ops: the Line
Fallout 3
Super Mario galaxy
Metriod prime

I'm only going to pick one game per series:

1. Skyrim
2. Mass Effect 2/3 -I can't decide which game I like more.
3. Borderlands 2
4. Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker
5. Fallout 3
6. Bastion
7. Minecraft
8. Shining Force
9. LoL
10. Rock Band 2

Fractral:

Terminate421:

Fractral:

1) Final Fantasy IX
2) Half Life 2
3) Persona 3
5) Pokemon White

I couldn't put my finger on it... yeah, World Tournament is awesome, and yeah the new stuff is cool, but it just lacked something for me. It felt kinda empty, really. Like how after you get to undella town nothing really happens for an hour, you just wind your way through to Opelucid city. It was the most boring part of the game for me. I had the same problem with all of HG/SS- the entire of the Kanto area just felt dead to me.
Though that gym leader who seemed to be permanently stoned was epic. And what happens after you beat Drayden- well, I won't spoil it but it was so awesome. I was so shocked at that.

I actually really enjoyed Pokemon Black 2 more than Black 1 as well. Also notable, the Pokemon World Tournament isn't the only thing to do post game. Aside from just level grinding and swapping out party members, there are still plenty of goals to reach post game. You can battle Cynthia at Caitlyn's Villa in Undella town and her Pokemon are in the mid-high 70s range. There is also the Black Tower in Black City, which has 10 areas, and spans in level and challenge from the high 40s to the 80s I believe. I'm on the final floor at the moment, and the Pokemon are all leveled at the high 70s, so the Boss trainer will probably also be in the low-mid 80s. I also think that the AI's have gotten quite good at predicting and strategizing. The enemies in Black tower really do switch their moves accordingly to what Pokemon you are using. (ex. I was battling a lv 77 Zebstrika, and if I was using a Pokemon which it did neutral damage against, it would usually poison me with toxic. If I swapped out to say Bisharp, it would adjust and use flame charge, and used thunderbolt if I swapped into Slowbro. I even did a save-state test to make sure that the comp wasn't just pre-selecting moves while I was in the process of choosing a Pokemon to swap to) Basically, they don't make very many sloppy mistakes, and have become quite efficient at abusing weaknesses. I've been playing for about 15 hours of the Post-game, and am still adequately entertained and finding new areas and things.
Anyways, OP
Pokemon Black 1/2
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of the World Radiant mythology series
Tales of Vesperia
Disgaea series
Minecraft
Sonic Adventure 1 (I hated 2 so much, it isn't even funny)
Persona 3+4
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Kirby Superstar Ultra
No order to this list as I have a hard time choosing favorites.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked