Legacy of Kain - who remembers the awesome series?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Yeah, who does? For those, who don't know, Legacy of Kain is a series that one guy very rightly described as "M-rated Zelda". Zelda-like gameplay, very, VERY morally grey characters and the best story to ever grace videogames, written, for 3 out of 5 games by Amy Hennig of Uncharted fame. The first game was written by Denis Dyack of Eternal Darkness fame (and he actually made two lame games after ED, but who cares). Set in the dark fantasy (it's medieval-ish and has wizards and some demonic entities, but no elves or dwarves) world of Nosgoth, the series follows the misadventures of vampire Kain and his former right hand, wraith Raziel. The series consists of:
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - 2D top-down RPG-like game, that introduces us to the series' main protagonist, Kain, who gets murdered and resurrected to a vampire. First going for revenge, Kain finds himself trying to save his land of Nosgoth from corruption and in the end has to choose, whether to sacrifice himself for Nosgoth or refuse the sacrifice and damn the land.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - 3D Early Tomb Raider-style game. Introduces the secondary protagonist, Raziel. More than a 1000 years after the first game, Kain has taken over all of Nosgoth along with six vampire lieutenants he sired, who in turn sired his armies. Over time, Kain and his vampire sons evolved - Kain was always first, others followed, until one day Raziel surpassed his Emperor and got the gift of wings. Kain tore his wings out of his back and ordered his brethren to throw him into the bowels of the Lake of the Dead, a fate usually reserved for traitors and weaklings. Water is like acid to vampires of Nosgoth, so dying like this was a hell of a pain for Raziel, but he found himself reborn and guided by a creature, known as the Elder God. Raziel started his own quest for revenge, destroying his brethren and trying to destroy Kain with them and free Nosgoth from vampire rule.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - plays like a bit simplified and streamlined version of the first Soul Reaver. The best story, but probably the lamest gameplay. Set directly after the first one, Raziel travels in time, pursuing Kain and finds out, that his execution was no mere act of jealousy and there's much more at stake.
Legeacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 - the most controversial game in the series, due to very different tone, different writers (which lead to plot holes explained only in the next game) and different art direction. Gameplay-wise, on the other hand, it's among the most fun, with the "autoface" battle system introduced in Soul Reaver games at it's best. Also, it has the awesome bosses, Soul Reaver 2 lacked. Avoid the PS2 version though, as it is glitchy. Set in the alternate (yet canonical) timeline, created by paradox in the end of SR2, Blood Omen 2 takes place 400 years after the original. Kain's ascend to power was stopped by an unknown enemy, who, wielding a new magic, deadly to vampires, have managed to defeat him and take away his most dangerous weapon. After spending 200 years in hibernation, Kain awakened, with his memories shattered (it doesn't become a big plot point, but does allow for exposition for new players) and his body weakened. He must restore his powers, defeat vampires, who betrayed their kind and get back his sword.
Legacy of Kain: Defiance - the last game in the series. Eidos tried to go in new direction with it, with more stylized characters, Devil May Cry-like combat system and fixed camera angles. The end result is questionable, though the story is, once again superb. In this game you play as both Kain and Raziel, who finally uncover the true enemy and find their true destinies.
The story summaries are pretty shallow, but I try to keep it relatively spoiler-free, since the story is too awesome to spoil.
There are lots of rumors about reboots and remakes recently, but idk, I find them unlikely. And I wouldn't like a reboot for sure. A remake maybe, but not a reboot.

And, for those who think the series is anything like Twilight, here is a picture of Kain looking badass.

RT:
And, for those who think the series is anything like Twilight, here is a picture of Kain looking badass.

This. This was MY PS2 game of choice when I was a teenager. Most other PS2 owners gravitated to Red Faction, Onimusha, Devil May Cry...not me, the faces of my PS2 and Xbox were these:

Confession time: I didn't know the original Legacy of Kain was a top-down isometric thing until I saw a preview of it while revisiting some Gex. Also, Raziel was my preferred character between he and Kain. I don't remember beating Soul Reaver 2 or, Blood Omen...OR Defiance but I remember loving then when I had my chance to play them. I need to get those back into my collection and they're all on my radar.

Shoggoth2588:

RT:

This. This was MY PS2 game of choice when I was a teenager. Most other PS2 owners gravitated to Red Faction, Onimusha, Devil May Cry...not me, the faces of my PS2 and Xbox were these:

Confession time: I didn't know the original Legacy of Kain was a top-down isometric thing until I saw a preview of it while revisiting some Gex. Also, Raziel was my preferred character between he and Kain. I don't remember beating Soul Reaver 2 or, Blood Omen...OR Defiance but I remember loving then when I had my chance to play them. I need to get those back into my collection and they're all on my radar.

GOG.com is the place to go. It has 4 out of 5 games (Blood Omen 1 is sadly not there, at least not yet), all of them work under Windows 7.

Sadly, its getting a reboot by the director of God of War i believe.

At least, we will always have this:

And this:

DioWallachia:
Sadly, its getting a reboot by the director of God of War i believe.

What? Where did this one come from?

Shoggoth2588:

SNIP

Play all the games EXCEPT Blood Omen 2. It sucks compared to the previous entry of the series: Soul Reaver 2, who in my opinion, is the best one.

Reporting in!

Been a fan since SR2's demo. Never regretted it. Well, somewhat around BO2 but that's in the past.

Used to have my favourite character as my avatar, now he's set as my profile picture (the character, not the avatar). And that is Vorador. Him:

DioWallachia:

Shoggoth2588:

SNIP

Play all the games EXCEPT Blood Omen 2. It sucks compared to the previous entry of the series: Soul Reaver 2, who in my opinion, is the best one.

Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 are two sides of the same coin. While the story in Soul Reaver 2 is sublime and is probably the best in the series, it is the game I found myself never replaying, for the gameplay is just so uninteresting. On the other hand, Blood Omen 2 is nothing to write home about story-wise, an everyman in the family of geniuses, but it's so much more fun to play. And it has a better save system. Besides, Meridian is a sight to behold and the art style, while different, is too something special.

RT:
GOG.com is the place to go. It has 4 out of 5 games (Blood Omen 1 is sadly not there, at least not yet), all of them work under Windows 7.

BO is on an abandonware website but it doesn't have the cutscenes. GOG are actually trying to bring it into their catalogue but...the things around the IP are wonky I think. I never really got the hang of what happened with that court case between Crystal Dynamics and Silicon Knights. However, BO can certainly be also gotten on PSN.

DoPo:

RT:

BO is on an abandonware website but it doesn't have the cutscenes. GOG are actually trying to bring it into their catalogue but...the things around the IP are wonky I think. I never really got the hang of what happened with that court case between Crystal Dynamics and Silicon Knights. However, BO can certainly be also gotten on PSN.

Silicon Knights have nothing to do with this, they have no rights for BO1, Activision is to blame.

RT:

DoPo:

RT:

Silicon Knights have nothing to do with this, they have no rights for BO1, Activision is to blame.

They did go to court, though, and then the IP ownership got a bit shakey. The case continued for quite a while, as I remember, and during that time, essentially nobody had BO as they were still arguing over it. But as I said, dunno what happened in the end, it might still be in muddy legal waters.

DoPo:

RT:

DoPo:

They did go to court, though, and then the IP ownership got a bit shakey. The case continued for quite a while, as I remember, and during that time, essentially nobody had BO as they were still arguing over it. But as I said, dunno what happened in the end, it might still be in muddy legal waters.

Nah. CD has BO and all of LOK. But CD published the game together with Activision and thus the Empire of Evil is now a problem. I believe Activision helped on the PC version in particular and that's why they did release BO on PSN, but no love for PC.

DoPo:
And that is Vorador

I see his reputation precedes him.

RT:

DioWallachia:

Shoggoth2588:

SNIP

Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 are two sides of the same coin. While the story in Soul Reaver 2 is sublime and is probably the best in the series, it is the game I found myself never replaying, for the gameplay is just so uninteresting. On the other hand, Blood Omen 2 is nothing to write home about story-wise, an everyman in the family of geniuses, but it's so much more fun. And it has a better save system.

You kidding?

1)BO2 had the worst hitbox detection
2)The combat flowed a lot slower and blocking every barrage of attack first before attacking myself was like a Turn Based Strategy.
3)The autoaim (was it named like that? oh wait, its named auto-lock system) goes bonkers when one tries to move to the sides while locking on a single enemy because, when there is more than one of those, the autolock decides to lock on the OTHER enemy even if all you pressed was the arrow to move in circles around the previous enemy (something that was normal and functional on Soul Reaver 2 has now been altered for no apparent reason)
4)The animation is atrocious compared to Soul Reaver 2. Everytime you had a cutscene in SR2 the animations felt unique and organic, like 2 real people having a ham-tastic converzation. In BO2, the animation consist of doing the robot, the eternal animation loop, and my personal favorite: The Starcraft unit portrait.

5)Kain, somehow, cant drink blood telephatically like he did in Blood Omen 1, where he could drink multiple (unconsious) victims at the same time. In BO2 you have to do it.....one...by....one.

Here are some links: (I believe that once the escapist said the same thing but cannot find it)

http://shogungamer.com/news/13631/legacy-kain-could-finally-be-coming-back-rumor
http://www.gamesradar.com/rumor-crystal-dynamics-working-soul-reaver-reboot/

I do, and I wish they would finish the story, but apparently Square is having them reboot Soul Reaver. Which I am not happy about.

chozo_hybrid:
I do, and I wish they would finish the story, but apparently Square is having them reboot Soul Reaver. Which I am not happy about.

Well, if they ever tie up the original timeline to the reboot, it could be explained that Kain manipulated the Elder God into proking a paradox so big that the Timeline HAD to erase EG from existance. As explained by this segment:

To erase EG from existance completely, ALL the present timeline HAD to dissapear because it was the product of EG intervention. So most likely that the new timeline will re-start from the point where he wasnt even born yet. Prehistorical Nosgoth perhaps?

DioWallachia:
[quote="DoPo" post="9.393565.15912078"And that is Vorador[/quote]

RT:

DioWallachia:

Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 are two sides of the same coin. While the story in Soul Reaver 2 is sublime and is probably the best in the series, it is the game I found myself never replaying, for the gameplay is just so uninteresting. On the other hand, Blood Omen 2 is nothing to write home about story-wise, an everyman in the family of geniuses, but it's so much more fun. And it has a better save system.

You kidding?

1)BO2 had the worst hitbox detection
2)The combat flowed a lot slower and blocking every barrage of attack first before attacking myself was like a Turn Based Strategy.
3)The autoaim (was it named like that? oh wait, its named auto-lock system) goes bonkers when one tries to move to the sides while locking on a single enemy because, when there is more than one of those, the autolock decides to lock on the OTHER enemy even if all you pressed was the arrow to move in circles around the previous enemy (something that was normal and functional on Soul Reaver 2 has now been altered for no apparent reason)
4)The animation is atrocious compared to Soul Reaver 2. Everytime you had a cutscene in SR2 the animations felt unique and organic, like 2 real people having a ham-tastic converzation. In BO2, the animation consist of doing the robot, the eternal animation loop, and my personal favorite: The Starcraft unit portrait.

5)Kain, somehow, cant drink blood telephatically like he did in Blood Omen 1, where he could drink multiple (unconsious) victims at the same time. In BO2 you have to do it.....one...by....one.

Here are some links: (I believe that once the escapist said the same thing but cannot find it)

http://shogungamer.com/news/13631/legacy-kain-could-finally-be-coming-back-rumor
http://www.gamesradar.com/rumor-crystal-dynamics-working-soul-reaver-reboot/

1) Then again, SR2 had worse range. And really, try to fight the dogs with your bare hands in SR2. I dare you.
2) Then again, blocking added something new to the system. Blocking in SR2 was cheap and wasn't a big element, and I could tell you stories about how well combat in that game went.
3) Autoface, it's called autoface. At least when an enemy was in range and you attacked him, it was guaranteed that you'd hit him.
4) While the cutscene animations and direction are inferior to SR2 (why are we talking about cutscenes, when I was talking about the gameplay?), the animations in gameplay were alright. In particular, the block animations were actual animations, with Kain actually moving his hands/weapon to block every attack.
5) It does get pretty tiring, but so does devouring souls of all of your enemies in SR1, where it was actually time-based and you couldn't just continue the fight and devour the soul later, you had to do it instantly, or it will go away and the vampire won't die. SR2 did rectify it a bit, but only in the material realm.

On the plus side, BO2 has the grab option, which allows for some pretty entertaining enemy executions, for most weapon types, plus unarmed have their own unique animations. Really, a game in which you can bitch-slap a boss is an awesome game. Speaking of which...
The bosses. They rock in BO2 and suck in SR2. In SR2 the bosses are six overpowered mooks. And them being overpowered doesn't even matter, since you're immortal anyway. A far cry from SR1's awesome boss battles. BO2 on the other hand does it right, with boss battles requiring Kain to use Dark Gifts and surroundings, instead of simply wailing his sword on them until they die.
Nothing on the save system? The obelisks in SR2 are too far from each other and it becomes a chore to wait for the next one. Plus, the world in SR2 is pretty shallow and feels very small compared to more realistically-sized wolrd of BO1, while level system of BO2 allows the Meridian to actually feel big. Since there's no exploration in SR2, they should've made it just level-to-level as well.

DioWallachia:

chozo_hybrid:

Well, if they ever tie up the original timeline to the reboot, it could be explained that Kain manipulated the Elder God into proking a paradox so big that the Timeline HAD to erase EG from existance. As explained by this segment:

To erase EG from existance completely, ALL the present timeline HAD to dissapear because it was the product of EG intervention. So most likely that the new timeline will re-start from the point where he wasnt even born yet. Prehistorical Nosgoth perhaps?

That just seems like it would be a cop out to me. I would rather they just finish it, then refresh the franchise with a new timeline/reboot, I invested a lot of time playing the games only to find such an open ending at the end of defiance, it would just be great to see some resolution.

DioWallachia:

DoPo:
And that is Vorador

=)

DioWallachia:

chozo_hybrid:

Maybe just a terminology nitpick but the timeline wouldn't "re-start" it would rather "change". Basically, once something changes it...has forever been changed. Or a better way to say it - it has never been different. As far as everybody in the timestream is concerned.

Like Homeworld the series has it's own cult following, but BO 1 and SR 1 are by and large very under rated since most ppl haven't played them. Both the epic plot and fantastic voice acting are on the very top tier of game stories, The script writer Amy Hennig now works on Naughty Dog's games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig

Damn shame that whoever owns the rights to these games won't pull their fingers out of their arses and re release Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1 on GoG and consoles. Blood Omen 1 can be played with a PS1 emulator but it does have some glitches like HP not showing correctly (The PC version just crashes). Anyone who loves the look of Diablo 2 and 2D Zeldas will fricking love playing this game.

Soul Reaver 1 is on par with Tomb Raider 1 imo, while TR is more Indy Jones with vertigo inducing cliff drops and traps. Soul Reaver has the same platforming but mixes it up with unique mechanics and abilities and fun hack and slash combat. It's fun exploring the world and finding out just how warped and twisted Nosgoth is since Raziel's eons long imprisonment. Those muddy textures are crying out for the HD remake treatment.

Wasn't there rumours going around that Crystal Dynamic's is considering making a reboot? While I would love a game that bring closure to the originals, A reboot of Soul Reaver 1 and Nosgoth is so rich in lore and plot with many plot lines left unanswered that a new script writer could really go to town and give something great for the fans. It would be the very opposite of DMC where the fans hate the concept of a reboot.

I know this is mostly wishful thinking but what would you guys like to see in a reboot?

For myself:-
* No time traveling, stick with SR 1's nosgoth, leave old Nosgoth to any possible BO reboot.
* More Info on the Clans especially Raziel's clan where the original just brushed over.
* The human faction to be fleshed out, with a visit to a Human city or settlement.
* Turiel to be included since he was cut from the original.
* Keep the old Tomb Raider / Zelda platform and exploration gameplay but add in hack and slasher elements from God of War with those epic scale boss battles.
* Alot of voice acting done in the same way as the original, with Raziel talking about Nosgoth during his travels.

It would be good if the fans got together and pestered Activision just to let them know that we are hungry for a reboot and for the originals to be relaunched. Given I sometimes see Soul Reaver articles on Euro Gamer I wonder if one of the staff is a fan. Maybe they could write up an article stating that the IP is ripe for a comeback given IP reboots are popular atm (and to point out that we have no way of playing the originals)

EDIT I didn't notice the previous talk about the reboot, I hope its true tbh, just aslong as its not some linear dumbed down money grab or something in a totally different playstyle or genre. That would really suck. Given the original's gameplay isn't that far from whats popular today with GoW and Darksiders there isn't as great a chance of that happenin as most IPs.

TrevHead:
Like Homeworld the series has it's own cult following, but BO 1 and SR 1 are by and large very under rated since most ppl haven't played them. Both the epic plot and fantastic voice acting are on the very top tier of game stories, The script writer Amy Hennig now works on Naughty Dog's games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Hennig

Damn shame that whoever owns the rights to these games won't pull their fingers out of their arses and re release Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1 on GoG and consoles. Blood Omen 1 can be played with a PS1 emulator but it does have some glitches like HP not showing correctly (The PC version just crashes). Anyone who loves the look of Diablo 2 and 2D Zeldas will fricking love playing this game.

Soul Reaver 1 is on par with Tomb Raider 1 imo, while TR is more Indy Jones with vertigo inducing cliff drops and traps. Soul Reaver has the same platforming but mixes it up with unique mechanics and abilities and fun hack and slash combat. It's fun exploring the world and finding out just how warped and twisted Nosgoth is since Raziel's eons long imprisonment. Those muddy textures are crying out for the HD remake treatment.

Wasn't there rumours going around that Crystal Dynamic's is considering making a reboot? While I would love a game that bring closure to the originals, A reboot of Soul Reaver 1 and Nosgoth is so rich in lore and plot with many plot lines left unanswered that a new script writer could really go to town and give something great for the fans. It would be the very opposite of DMC where the fans hate the concept of a reboot.

I know this is mostly wishful thinking but what would you guys like to a reboot to be like?

For myself:-
* No time traveling, stick with SR 1's nosgoth, leave old Nosgoth to any possible BO reboot.
* More Info on the Clans especially Raziel's clan where the original just brushed over.
* The human faction to be fleshed out, with a visit to a Human city or settlement.
* Turiel to be included since he was cut from the original.
* Keep the old Tomb Raider / Zelda platform and exploration gameplay but add in hack and slasher elements from God of War with those epic scale boss battles.

It would be good if the fans got together and pestered Activision just to let them know that we are hungry for a reboot and for the originals to be relaunched. Given I sometimes see Soul Reaver articles on Euro Gamer I wonder if one of the staff is a fan. Maybe they could write up an article stating that the IP is ripe for a comeback given IP reboots are popular atm (and to point out that we have no way of playing the originals)

I feel that if more ppl had played these games, we would see as much articles and rumours as HL3 on the forum.

Err, Soul Reaver 1 was released on GOG long ago. BO1 and SR1 were on PSN even longer than that.
As for your wishlist... I don't like it, really. It focuses on SR1 too much for a game, called Legacy of Kain.
Poor Kain. It's his series and nobody wants him around.

DoPo:

Maybe just a terminology nitpick but the timeline wouldn't "re-start" it would rather "change". Basically, once something changes it...has forever been changed. Or a better way to say it - it has never been different. As far as everybody in the timestream is concerned.

But it changed so hard that the timeline we know and love is now gone because the price of wiping EG from existance means that he had to dissapear. Since we know that EG existed even before the ancient vampires, i will presume that ALOT is going to change.

Now, a REAL question would be, if Kain DID manipulate EG into trying to kill him with paradoxes (because at this point "fuck the timeline". EG is so pissed off that he may as well use enemies from different time eras bia time portals) then, does Kain know that this would result in not only him but ALL Nosgoth history dissapearing? Maybe the hyphotetical last game that was being made before being canceled (LOK: The Dark Prophesy) would have a finaly with 2 ending choice like in Blood Omen 1.

Either we fuck EG with paradoxes and the timeline changes and risk non existance for EVERYONE...

..Or..

We let EG live in someway but either imprisioned or in a coma where the ugly thing cant do any harm and nor torture us with his ramblings about the Wheel of Fate.

Not my best effort in writing an ending of a series but its what we have. Now you may be asking youself: "Why cant just Kain stab EG with the Soul Reaver and eat all his suplies of souls that have been devoured in all its life, so he can die at last?"

You see....Kain cant do that, that would change the timeline so hard that the timeline will erase HIM instead of EG. Like Kain said before, if the Timeline cant accomodate the changes, then the irritant is expelled, that is why Kain has to trick EG into do that himself so he gets erased instead.

RT:
Err, Soul Reaver 1 was released on GOG long ago.

It was released there only this year. So like half a year now. Not really that long ago.

RT:

Err, Soul Reaver 1 was released on GOG long ago. BO1 and SR1 were on PSN even longer than that.
As for your wishlist... I don't like it, really. It focuses on SR1 too much for a game, called Legacy of Kain.

Ah my bad, well I still have the SR PC originals so I don't rally need a release. It's BO1 that i'm lacking since I don't have a PS3 (only PCs and 360)

I love the crap out of BO1 but I never played BO 2 back in the day, and I hear it's pretty naff gameplay wise.

While I love Kain all the games, to me Kain is at his best as a 2D hack and slasher. While it was great playing as Kain in SR3 both for Kain's plotline and destiny, he wasn't that fun gameplay wise, especially compared to Raziel.

So for me a SR reboot should be for Raziel. Both for the story of SR1 and that imo he is a much better character gameplay wise in 3D, From his abilities, to his combat and Tomb Raider esk platforming. So yeah keep Kain as 2D imo. EDIT or 3D don't have him play as SR1 / GoW hack & Slasher, but more like The Witcher with better pad controls.

TrevHead:

RT:

Ah my bad, well I still have the SR PC originals so I don't rally need a release. It's BO1 that i'm lacking since I don't have a PS3 (only PCs and 360)

I love the crap out of BO1 but I never played BO 2 back in the day, and I hear it's pretty naff gameplay wise.

While I love Kain all the games, to me Kain is at his best as a 2D hack and slasher. While it was great playing as Kain in SR3 both for Kain's plotline and destiny, he wasn't that fun gameplay wise, especially compared to Raziel.

So for me a SR reboot should be for Raziel. Both for the story of SR1 and that imo he is a much better character gameplay wise in 3D, From his abilities, to his combat and Tomb Raider esk platforming. So yeah keep Kain as 2D imo.

You gotta be kidding, it's Raziel's combat and levels that were really dull in Defiance compared to Kain's. Kain has either the same or better abilities (floating/bat form instead of gliding, mist form instead of going through fences, et cetera) and either Dark Gifts from BO2 or the plethora of spells of BO1.

I like the series.

I hope any reboots are done are done without all the retarded clusterfuck story that ended up happening.

I really like the Legacy of Kain series mainly because of Kain who is one of my favourite video game characters ever especially in Blood Omen 1 and 2 where he takes center stage hes such a complete bastard but you cant help but like him. I didnt much like what they did to him in the soul reaver games and I wasnt over keen on Raziel tbh but I did enjoy Defiance quite a bit.

I picked up Blood Omen for the PS1 ages ago and have finished it multiple times its still the best game in the series for me by far.
Soul Reaver I never finished I got burnt out on all the damn block puzzles, go here block puzzle next bit more block puzzles now try and solve a block puzzle while we drop an infinite supply of enemies on you.
Soul Reaver 2 was pretty good
Blood Omen 2 wasnt a very good game but I enjoyed it because of the depiction of Kains character I just really like playing as him.
Defiance was good fun and it ties up the Razael arc again I probably liked it more than SR 1 and 2 because you can play Kain (for bits) although Kains character isnt as likeable in this one as he is in the 2 blood omen games at least for me anyway.

I wish they kept Kains character and design closer to the original Blood Omen though he looks stupid in the Soul Reaver games Blood Omen 2s design is ok but its not as distinct.

Also I have always really liked Maleks design from Blood Omen he looked badass.

RT:
You gotta be kidding, it's Raziel's combat and levels that were really dull in Defiance compared to Kain's. Kain has either the same or better abilities (floating/bat form instead of gliding, mist form instead of going through fences, et cetera) and either Dark Gifts from BO2 or the plethora of spells of BO1.

Well it's been about 5 years since I played them (SR1 and BO1 are the only games I've replayed recently) so I could have a different opinion if I was to replay it today IIRC I prefered SR1's raziel. However to me SR has always been about Raziel as a controlable character.

I think we just have some differences in opinion, as you say you liked SR2 and it's story, while I think it's by far the weakest of the games I've played both story wise and the whole magical forges thing, cliched fire-air elementals which feel like they were shoe-horned into the game and setting.

I know the other games have similar things but SR2 didn't do it very well imo.

TrevHead:

RT:

Well it's been about 5 years since I played them (SR1 and BO1 are the only games I've replayed recently) so I could have a different opinion if I was to replay it today IIRC I prefered SR1's raziel. However to me SR has always been about Raziel as a controlable character.

I think we just have some differences in opinion, as you say you liked SR2 and it's story, while I think it's by far the weakest of the games I've played both story wise and the whole magical forges thing, cliched fire-air elementals which feel like they were shoe-horned into the game and setting.

I know the other games have similar things but SR2 didn't do it very well imo.

I liked the story, but gameplay kinda sucked. Blood Omen 2 was more of a gameplay sequel to Soul Reaver 1, with cool bosses and the world being more immersive.

Remember? I still have that game, and most of the series.

chozo_hybrid:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the reboot. Yeah, it won't likely have as good of a story, but they could do some interesting things with the gameplay. Maybe some more features/mechanics to the spectral realm, (shifting gravity, off the top of my head.)allow you to shift at any time instad of only at the planar portals, and use those new mechanics to make some really interesting puzzlesbased on the differences between the physical and spirit worlds.

Lol the OP's original post sold me on a series I was already in love with. The LoK series is fantastic, for me the gameplay has always been rather week, but it's the story that I played for, it's my favourite story in gaming and one that made me realise that games can have mature plots. And by mature I don't mean loads of blood and swearing, but one that doesn't treat you like a moron that just wants to kill and kill, a story that makes you think and wonder just who is the good guy and bad guy and is what you do as the character really for the best. What really helps this is some of the best voice acting in any game ever, Simon Templeman, Micheal Bell, Tony Jay, Richard Doyle all do amazing jobs.

I've heard about the reboot and while I am apprehensive, I would prefer that to a sequel to Defiance. I thought that Defiance wrapped up that particular story that started in Soul Reaver quite well, it also moved Kain's character forward and finished Raziel's. There was hints at more to come but it was a start of a new story really, and one that doesn't need to be told.

Now of course there is no need to reboot it either but hopefully with reboot there will be a re=release of the old games and that is something I can get behind, and if the reboot turns out good then bonus.

I dunno.

I thought Legacy of Kain was probably one of the best games that Crystal Dynamics ever released, but I couldn't get into Soul Reaver, and Blood Omen was one of the earliest regrettable purchases I ever made.

I played Soulr Reaver, Blood omen 2 and Soul Reaver 2. I tried blood omen but couldn't get into it. I haven't played Defiance even thought i bought it for my collection.

Dear lord, I remember playing Defiance a few years back. This is definitely a series that needs more attention and monies.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked