0.8% (18)
0.8% (18)
Not as Much
5.2% (122)
5.2% (122)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do You Still Like ZP?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

So for a while now I just haven't been enjoying Zero Punctuation I don't know why it just doesn't make me laugh or even smile anymore, whats you opinion sorry if this had been done before and your tired of it but I haven't seen any. EDIT: I added two more choices after reading the comments and want people to have more freedom of choice than before,sorry for any inconveniences this causes.

IMO, it's like spicy food. After a while, you build up a tolerance to it. So, it's not the food that's changed, it's you.

So, do I still like ZP? Yes. I no longer have to pause the video to allow time to breath, but it's still good.

I haven't enjoyed his videos as much lately. His last review was especially bad. Flip-flopping on his opinion of Doom 3, completely misinterpreting why people criticized him for naming MW3 and BF3 his 'Worst Games of 2011,' using the "I'm older than you so I know better" card, etc. It was just embarrassingly bad.

He really is just unpleasable. He complains about there being no good survival horror games and when he's given one (Siren: Blood Curse) he shits all over it. He complains about realistic grey/brown shooters and when he's handed some fun, colorful, and decidedly unrealistic shooters like Borderlands 2 and Bulletstorm he shits on them as well. He rages against sequels and reboots for merely having the audacity to exist yet the one game he can never shut the fuck up about is a sequel itself and some of his other favorites are sequels and reboots as well.

Gorilla Gunk:

He really is just unpleasable.

You only just realized this? :P

OT - I still enjoy his vid's as good comedy and informative reviews. I've said before that I don't want a review to tell me the good points about a game, as if i'm interested in a game, I already know what the good points are. I want the bad points listed and criticized in exhaustive detail, and ZP is pretty much the only place i'll get that.

Sure, he goes over the top sometimes, but overall, I find his reviews more valuable than any others that I read/watch, both for entertainment and information value.

Gorilla Gunk:
I haven't enjoyed his videos as much lately. His last review was especially bad. Flip-flopping on his opinion of Doom 3, completely misinterpreting why people criticized him for naming MW3 and BF3 his 'Worst Games of 2011,' using the "I'm older than you so I know better" card, etc. It was just embarrassingly bad.

He really is just unpleasable. He complains about there being no good survival horror games and when he's given one (Siren: Blood Curse) he shits all over it. He complains about realistic grey/brown shooters and when he's handed some fun, colorful, and decidedly unrealistic shooters like Borderlands 2 and Bulletstorm he shits on them as well. He rages against sequels and reboots for merely having the audacity to exist yet the one game he can never shut the fuck up about is a sequel itself and some of his other favorites are sequels and reboots as well.

He really does flip flop around and shoot himself in the foot, doesn't he.

I get the feeling he could be a legitimate critic AND a comedian if he wasn't so petty but....there you go.
Still watch his videos, but his voice is kinda drilled into me. I just hear him talking but I don't process what he says anymore.

ZP brought me here originally and I used to love it but honestly no I don't anymore, more often than not his reviews are an exercise in contrived sexual metaphor and thief references. But I believe this is just the nature of Zero Punctuation, I recently read Mogworld (very good in my opinion) and it makes me wonder if he just doesn't have the same drive as he did originally for the series.

Oh well.

The only videos I watch on here now are movie bobs, I much prefer to lurk around the forums nowadays.

this is odd the poll mostly loves him but the comments dislike him, weird.

anyway, no not really, I don't think he's that funny, razor fist is way better, although even he is starting to get a lot worse.

I really like ZP still. Yeah I don't lagh my ass off anymore but I don't do that to my old favorite episodes anymore either so it's probably more me than ZP. But I still find it funny. Honestly, I've found myself looking foreward to his extra punctuation article more than his videos really. I find them very insightful and interesting to read.

madwarper:
IMO, it's like spicy food. After a while, you build up a tolerance to it.

That's actually a very neat little simile.

So yeah, what he said.

When I first found ZP I went on a massive archive binge and laughed until my stomach hurt. Now his videos just make me chuckle. I still like them and I usually agree with what Yahtzee has to say, but the hilarity diminishes with repeated exposure.

I liked it more before the levels of 'Hipster' and 'Misanthrope' went off the scale.
Mr. Croshaw is legitimately talented with words, though his schtick is less "Douglas Adams" and more "Scott Adams", if you follow.

I haven't watched an episode in months, I will watch them all up to date when I get the time.

I still find it funny, but his earlier episodes do have a certain charm...no idea why.

I still thoroughly enjoy his videos, especially when I actually own the game so I can relate to it more. Oh how I laughed when he did DayZ.

I still watch Zero Puncuation and still have a good laugh every Wednesday, I think Yahtzee finds it hard to think of new things to say about games he finds a bit meh but not bad and I think his videos aren't as good when that happens. But when there are genuine complaints and he has something to get his teeth into, he is still very funny and he has new material every week, so you can't be too hard on him.

I watched Gamer Grumps this afternoon, I found their videos to be utterly pathetic, so it could also be much worse when it comes to video game humour.

felbot:
this is odd the poll mostly loves him but the comments dislike him, weird.

anyway, no not really, I don't think he's that funny, razor fist is way better, although even he is starting to get a lot worse.

Fuck yeh, Razorfist!

He is still golden on the HateBitPodcast though. The reviews are starting to get lackluster.

Yeah, and I still watch them most wednesdays.
They don't all make me laugh as much as the first time around, but there's the odd really good moment every now and again.

It seems like Yahtzee might be trying a bit too hard to be funny these days. I much prefer his earlier videos. They seemed to involve more subtle humor.

Still absolutely love the man, though.

Still watch them every Wednesday, still love them. I think most people come to dislike him at some point because he rages at some game or genre that they love, and the more time passes the more that is likely to occur, but I personally find him to be rather accurate in all his criticisms. Maybe it helps that he seems to have the same tastes as I do, but at the same time, he refuses to even look at RTS games whereas I'm a big fan of them. So I definitely like him even when we disagree.

i find his reviews enjoyable and funny not to mention being old enough to of played the games that young whipper napper has mentioned the first time through

I still personally enjoy almost all his reviews, I find his insight entertaining, and his criticism is often entirely valid, even if it is over the top. I find even if he is criticising a game I enjoy, I still agree with a lot of the points that lie in the core of his hyperbole and sexual innuendo.

I'm not sure I agree with some of the criticism being leveraged against him. He doesn't hate sequels by nature, he hates sequels that simply stagnate the franchise, that are just going through the motions of the previous games(ala Resident Evil: Yet Another One).

The idea that he just purposefully dumps on 'good games' is kind of ridiculous. If he doesn't like them, that's a fair opinion. And I honestly think the fact that he finds so much to be mediocre is what makes his cood reviews(like DayZ and XCOM) more enjoyable.

The thing some people don't seem to realize about Yahtzee is that he intentionally focuses on every game's flaws, no matter how slight. He isn't trying to review them; that's not his job. He shits on everything because no game is perfect (although some come close). I for one appreciate his brand of humor (although it can get repetitive at times).

While I still enjoy it...kind of...I would have picked an in-between option, such as 'Less than before', because while it still retains many of its old charms, it's gone downhill quite a great deal.

I still laugh out loud to it, but I dislike how there seems to be less legitimate criticism lately and more of just ragging on things or obsessing about how good they are.

He used to bring up something perfectly wrong with the game, following with a joke, a spot on comparison, or something, then on to the next point. Now it's just "This shit is stupid because off-color analogy". He never really gave his opinion in the main videos, just pointed out flaws. Now he does that rather a lot.

I know he shouldn't just keep the same formula, but it was never really a review show like it sort of feels like (even if he does joke it is).

My two year old son actually runs over to the computer and sits on my lap when the music starts.
About a third of the way in he loses interest. And he really likes the dancing imp that sometimes appears at the end.

I myself like ZP just fine. Yahtzee is a comedian.

Besides, I have a friend who hates far more things than Yahtzee. Makes picking movies to watch a pain in the ass. Ever spend 45 minutes discussing/negotiating what kind of pizza to order? I have....

I actually treat it more as a legit video game review source that happens to be funny simultaneously. I know what Yahtzee likes and doesn't like, and judging by his reaction to a particular game, I can roughly judge for myself what it would be like for me.

I don't agree with Yhatzee 80% of the time (some of the genres and games he hates are the ones I love), but you've got to admit that he still manages to make funny videos, even with some good points. So yeah, I still like ZP.

No, and I haven't enjoyed it for a long time. Like so many other people, Yahtzee was the reason I first came to this site, and for awhile he was great. Then after awhile, I feel, he started to lose what made him so great. He kept the hate but lost the funny. The act of being super critical consumed his reviews but he lost the sense of fairness or the poignant constructive criticism that made him great. His videos devolved from interesting, yet critical critiques to angry rants.

Either way I haven't watched it for awhile. But I doubt he's gotten any better.

Yes, I still watch every single Wednesday, wouldn't miss it. However, I do agree that, for some odd reason, the old videos are better. I still laugh at old ones when I watch back. The new ones just kind of make me chuckle a bit. So yes, ZP is still good to me, but the older episodes are better somehow.

He's OK. Sometimes he's better than others.

Yah, for a while they weren't as good as his usual stuff, but I blame that on just no good games worth talking about not being released until just recently. But his videos are great, and I still love them. I think it's unfair when people criticize his show for being flip-floppy and him being unpleasable because the show is about comedy first and legitimate game criticism second. It's the nature of the show to pick whatever faults he can find about the game and blow them out of proportion. So when his opinion on Doom 3 shifts and he criticizes colorful, open-ended games like Borderlands 2, it's not because he's just being obtuse, it's because the show would be a lot less funny if he just sat there applauding Borderlands 2 for not looking like mud. Which really shouldn't be all that noteworthy anyway, butheyitsnextgenright.

So in short, yah, i still love his show just as much as I used to, and I hope it doesn't end anytime soon.

Ganpot:
The thing some people don't seem to realize about Yahtzee is that he intentionally focuses on every game's flaws, no matter how slight. He isn't trying to review them; that's not his job. He shits on everything because no game is perfect (although some come close). I for one appreciate his brand of humor (although it can get repetitive at times).

No matter how many times someone says this the majority wont remember it.

OT: I like him and I find his complaints about games to be quite fitting more than not, I don't always agree with his conclusion or how bad something is, but I'll take his advice on games I'm not sure I will like or not.

As for the video quality I find that his best reviews are when he reviews games he really love or really hates. Take XCOM, MineCraft, No More Heroes or Painkiller, on the other side of the scale we have Kane and Lynch 2 or Duke Nukem Forever. He's really enthusiastic when he reviews those games, but when he gets handed a game where he can't bring himself to care then his videos suffers from mediocrity and worn out jokes.

I enjoy Zero Punctuation, for the most part. Every now and again there's an episode that's just boring to watch, but it's the vast minority. It's still usually well worth watching.

I'm in the "he was better" camp, but I don't hate his newer reviews, I just find them boring.

Atmos Duality:
I liked it more before the levels of 'Hipster' and 'Misanthrope' went off the scale.
Mr. Croshaw is legitimately talented with words, though his schtick is less "Douglas Adams" and more "Scott Adams", if you follow.

Zhukov:

madwarper:
IMO, it's like spicy food. After a while, you build up a tolerance to it.

That's actually a very neat little simile.

So yeah, what he said.

When I first found ZP I went on a massive archive binge and laughed until my stomach hurt. Now his videos just make me chuckle. I still like them and I usually agree with what Yahtzee has to say, but the hilarity diminishes with repeated exposure.

I could not put it any better then this. Personally, when I first got introduced to ZP, I laughed my ass off and would always bug my roomates about there being a new ZP episode on this website. Lately I still have the urge to watch but the creativity seems to have gone down a lot. I find his funniest episodes were the ones with the bonus/added content like the Little Big Planet 1 review or or S.T.A.L.K.E.R episode or the Halo Wars episode. I still find him funny but it is more of a chuckle then anything. Still getting the courage to read "Jam" but if it is anything like Mogworld then I will be one happy camper.

The problem is that in 2007, it was new and fresh to have someone who utterly shits on most games, (The only other person who I think did this method of reviewing games before Yahtzee was Seanbaby, but I could be mistaken), but now with the wide advent of Youtube, more and more regular people are doing the same thing, not acting like the gaming review media, (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) and shit on a game just like Yahtzee.

There are very few times when I agree with Yahtzee when it comes to games because most of his complaints recently have become nonsensical and overall extremely minor. Saying Dishonored is a mediocre stealth game because the guards in it don't have Shakespearean writing is just silly.

If he had more valid and real complaints then that would justify his opinions. Also, his view on Multiplayer games is all over the place. His extreme dislike for Borderlands could be justified if he actually explained why MP is bad for a game that has single player in it. Lastly, the metaphors are just getting out of hand and is mostly (in my eyes) filler now.

I still watch and enjoy Zero Punctuation but the fact of the matter is he just gives empty rants on games because he actually doesn't say if he liked it or not. Even in his column I still wonder if he thought The Darkness II was good or not.

I find his older videos to be much more amusing. They aren't nearly as good anymore. He seems to have lost the charm and hilarity he had. Maybe its more a commentary of how shitty games are getting lately so he can't make the reviews as funny.

Perhaps he's getting sick of doing reviews now. I think with age we all get sick of playing games after awhile. I seem to have hit a rut in my gaming life a few times and all it takes is a certain game for me to be able to snap out of it. Perhaps Mr. Yahtzee needs to find the game to make him snap out of his rut. Who knows?

TL;DR

I still enjoy the videos but they seem to have lost their spark that made them much funnier.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked