0.8% (18)
0.8% (18)
Not as Much
5.2% (122)
5.2% (122)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do You Still Like ZP?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

To be honest, its the only reason I still come to this site. Im not that active on the forums, I dont watch any of the other videos that are put up and Ive usually already heard the news that is put up from other, faster sites.

Yahtzee still makes me laugh or at least "brain smile" every Wednesday going on ... fuck, 4 years or somesuch now?

Yeah yeah, novelty can't service time, but he's found a place between interesting and comfortable I hope he keeps up for the foreseeable future.

CrossLOPER:
His vids are OK, but they are not as organic as they once were. I miss the music that he would choose from his personal collection and replaced it with that generic rock track. There is literally no soul in his videos. They were a big part of the humor and I have no idea why they were replaced.

The possibility of getting stomped on by the companies that license the music in his personal collection, that's why.

I don't like the ZP theme either, but there's a reason for it.

...Doesn't really explain how Escape to the Movies uses that Paul Gilbert piece, unless Moviebob personally cleared it with the artist.

I enjoy his videos. But like all critics, I don't agree with his criticism to be valid 100% of the time. I still respect his opinions miles more than say Movie Bob.
I agree the older ones were much more lively.

Only time I found his opinion VERY hard to accept was when he crowned Portal 2 GOTY.

distortedreality:
[

Left 4 Dead could maybe benefit from some sort of back story, but I actually loved the ambiguity inherent in the game, and didn't really feel like the game needed a story.

No Backstory =/= No Story. Ambiguity can work well in stories, in-fact it's why Dark Souls is one of my favorite games.

Anyway, I don't think that guy is arguing against MP-only games. Just games that destroy the chance for a good singleplayer campaign due to dev-focus on multiplayer that runs parallel to what the game is about.

It's like what the Spec-Ops: The Line developer said:

"It sheds a negative light on all of the meaningful things we did in the single-player experience. The multiplayer game's tone is entirely different,"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119332-Spec-Ops-Multiplayer-Is-a-Cancerous-Growth

Hellz yeah, I still watch ZP every Wednesday, and I still get a fairly good laugh out of them. Last week's whole 'spunkgargleweewee' bit was particularly enjoyable. Quite honestly, if the Escapist ever got rid of ZP, I would stop coming to the site. It's not the only reason I come here, (I watch Jimquisition, the Big Picture and Escape to the Movies every week, and have just started watching Unskippable, Feed Dump, Loading Ready Run, and No Right Answer), but that's how much I enjoy it.

Yahtzee is still good. I'll admit I haven't cracked up nearly as much lately as I did, but maybe he just hasn't found the right games. He has to work with what he's got, after all. Every once in a while he'll find a game that will inspire him with some great material, and that's what keeps me coming back.

CrossLOPER:
His vids are OK, but they are not as organic as they once were. I miss the music that he would choose from his personal collection and replaced it with that generic rock track. There is literally no soul in his videos. They were a big part of the humor and I have no idea why they were replaced.

One word: Copyright.
I miss the carefully chosen intro/outro music too, but sacrifices must be made for professionalism.

Well, some of the comments don't seem to get that he's taking the piss for the sake of humour. He exaggerates a lot about what he likes and dislikes...
So yes, I do still like his stuff, He's a cynical fucker and such is the way life should be.

I used to be crying with laughter when my friend first showed me them - now I'll still laugh, just nowhere near as much. But there's usually one line per episode that has me properly laughing out loud. So yeah I do - not as much but still more than enough to enjoy it.

rollerfox88:
To be honest, its the only reason I still come to this site. Im not that active on the forums, I dont watch any of the other videos that are put up and Ive usually already heard the news that is put up from other, faster sites.

Surely you've watched some of the other video's no? I came here because of ZP but I enjoy a lot of other shows regardless.
If you haven't go check out Jimquisition and MovieBob's stuff. They can both be justifiably hateful towards... everything.
As for news, yeah, that makes sense...

madwarper:
IMO, it's like spicy food. After a while, you build up a tolerance to it. So, it's not the food that's changed, it's you.

So, do I still like ZP? Yes. I no longer have to pause the video to allow time to breath, but it's still good.

Best point in the first post. Well done, sir.

OT:
I'm with Madwarper on this one. ZP used to kill me, and while I may not nearly die laughing with it anymore, I still find it very amusing and look forward to each week's upload.

Granted, I don't agree with everything Yahtzee says (e.g. I rather enjoy Borderlands 1 and 2), but I still like to hear his thoughts on games.

Like AVGN before it, it's a formula that doesn't change much.Since it stays the same, you don't really laugh at the jokes that much after 5-6 years. But that doesn't make the show any less fun. Insightful commentary, wittiness, review-points still make it worth watching every week.

I still love the show. It's the one thing that makes me look forward to Wednesdays. I'll admit that I don't laugh as much as I used to but it's more because I've desensitized to Yahtzee's style of humor than me getting bored of it.

I still think his show's pretty fun, but I think he needs to shake things up and evolve his style a bit more. His show's become too consistent.

PieBrotherTB:
The possibility of getting stomped on by the companies that license the music in his personal collection, that's why.

He could not get something from the public domain?

As long as he keeps pointing out horrible things in games (espically "realism" shooters) in a funny way, I'll still love him.

Psycomantis777:

rollerfox88:

Surely you've watched some of the other video's no? I came here because of ZP but I enjoy a lot of other shows regardless.
If you haven't go check out Jimquisition and MovieBob's stuff. They can both be justifiably hateful towards... everything.
As for news, yeah, that makes sense...

Ive watched a few of both of those shows (even doing the "leave it a couple weeks and go back for another try" thing) but they do nothing for me. I used to watch Loading Ready Run but when they started doing the show where they do a kinda sit round a table and have a really forced discussion thing it put me off.

I also used to watch Doomsday Arcade and Extra Credits, but they are both gone now :(

As I said, I still watch ZP (and read Extra Punctuation), and I would rather make sure my click-through traffic goes to this site than watching it re-hosted on Youtube.

CrossLOPER:

PieBrotherTB:

He could not get something from the public domain?

How many pop music recordings are actually in the public domain though?

Gorilla Gunk:
I haven't enjoyed his videos as much lately. His last review was especially bad. Flip-flopping on his opinion of Doom 3, completely misinterpreting why people criticized him for naming MW3 and BF3 his 'Worst Games of 2011,' using the "I'm older than you so I know better" card, etc. It was just embarrassingly bad.

He really is just unpleasable. He complains about there being no good survival horror games and when he's given one (Siren: Blood Curse) he shits all over it. He complains about realistic grey/brown shooters and when he's handed some fun, colorful, and decidedly unrealistic shooters like Borderlands 2 and Bulletstorm he shits on them as well. He rages against sequels and reboots for merely having the audacity to exist yet the one game he can never shut the fuck up about is a sequel itself and some of his other favorites are sequels and reboots as well.

I pretty much agree with this. I still like some of Yahtzee's videos, but his negativity and hipster tendencies have been intensified to the point where his ZP persona (and maybe him, I don't know how much overlap there is) is completely unlikeable.

It's become formulaic, but that's what happens to every show that passes the 'one year running' mark. If you have produce a new episode each week for 5 years, it's not going to retain the same spark it started off with.

It hasn't become worse, it's become standard.

I still like the cut of his jib, and he always has something interesting to say regardless of whether it's extremely funny or not.

I admit they get a little stale at times, but I still enjoy the videos.

I still love ZP. I feel that there are fewer "memetic" moments in the series. Nothing will be quite as iconic as Yahtzee's ending breasts mantra. "Bosoms, melons, milk factories etc..." But that might be attributable to the fact that there are way more episodes and a whole lot more content to choose from that it's hard to latch onto major moments from a single episode.

However, I don't think Yahtzee's having "Sickboy Syndrome" or anything. The most recent episode, for example, was one of the most hilarious ones I'd seen in a while.

I'm actually enjoying it more than ever, to be honest. ZP is what got me on the Escapist, and it's still my favourite thing on it (Though Jimquisition is slowly catching up to it). And, frankly, though a recent episode or two have been cringe-worthy (The Spec Ops: The Line episode in particular fell flat with the farting noises joke) I find that ZP is getting better, mostly because it finally seems to be regularly covering games I play, which seldom happened before.

Gorilla Gunk:
He really is just unpleasable. He complains about there being no good survival horror games and when he's given one (Siren: Blood Curse) he shits all over it. He complains about realistic grey/brown shooters and when he's handed some fun, colorful, and decidedly unrealistic shooters like Borderlands 2 and Bulletstorm he shits on them as well. He rages against sequels and reboots for merely having the audacity to exist yet the one game he can never shut the fuck up about is a sequel itself and some of his other favorites are sequels and reboots as well.

That's what he's paid for. He's not paid to give you an actual review on any game, he's paid to say funny things and curse a lot while talking about the latest releases. He's not a critic, he's an entertainer.

No, not really, I may stop watc- OW!

I'm sorry Yahtzee, I'll keep watching, just don't shock me agai- OW!

I. Love. Yahtzee. And. Will. Watch. His. Videos. Forever.

I've bought games before based on his recommendations, (Well, looked them up online and read other reviews before buying, anyway) and I do agree with a few of the more valid complaints (e.g, the hanging out with people feature in GTA IV was like having my teeth pulled, dishonored was too short and banned you from the good ending if you murdered people, which all my stuff is good for).
But yeah, he is basically unpleasable. Not that stops him from being funny.

David Huff:
So for a while now I just haven't been enjoying Zero Punctuation I don't know why it just doesn't make me laugh or even smile anymore, whats you opinion sorry if this had been done before and your tired of it but I haven't seen any.

I was just talking about this the other day with a friend. I do feel like the videos have hand laugh so I don't think it's that his sense of humor has worn on me... Don't know what it could be...

Maybe Yahtzee has lost his punch? Though seems more likely he hasn't had the same time to put into the videos with his Bar, and going to America, and the books... Who can say really. I'm willing to bet his fire will come back once things have settled down (or something really pisses him off).

What I find strange is while I didn't like Jim Sterling for the longest time, but after his Resident Evil 6 episode I suddenly love everything he does.

I enjoy it but not as much as I used to. Sure they aren't as funny as they used to be but they aren't bad

Yeah he really didn't make me laugh in last 8 or so episodes before XCOM enemy unknown but with warfighter/BFG review he really got back into game aka I laughed like I used to do.

I actually think he's gotten a bit better lately his humour seemed to dip for a while but now he seems to be back on form.

I'd recommend listening to his audio book version of Mogworld. Certainly any male elf rogue characters I have to name in a game from now on will be called 'Mr Wonderful'.

I never liked it.

Not sure where the humor comes in. I'd much rather watch actual reviews. Yeah I find the escapist's game reviews more entertaining.

Yes I still love Zero Punctuation, Admittedly I think Feed Dump has taken over as my favorite Escapist show but that's only because Feed Dump is amazing, Zero P hasn't gotten any worse.

Having those two shows on the same day really clogs up all the good stuff on Monday and Wednesday. Movie Bob is great, but he's alone on Tuesday and Friday. and then Thursday....
No Right Answer is fine.

Gorilla Gunk:
I haven't enjoyed his videos as much lately. His last review was especially bad. Flip-flopping on his opinion of Doom 3, completely misinterpreting why people criticized him for naming MW3 and BF3 his 'Worst Games of 2011,' using the "I'm older than you so I know better" card, etc. It was just embarrassingly bad.

Did Yatzee stab your favorite game? just because he doesn't like the game you like doesn't make it a game you can't enjoy, if it does you need help way beyond anything I know of.

Misinterpreting why people criticized him for nameing the kings of shit, as such? MW and BF are stagnating in their own piss ((I am hoping COD:BO 2 decided to change up the formula by being so BALLS OUT INSANE,)) Borderlands is not a fun game in my book either, but yet my friend keeps playing it,

Now, I LOVE, FUCKING ADORE, Ghost Recon online, and i only played 15 minutes of it (Computer too suckky to play any more)) but if YZ got ahold of it, he would be complaining about the cover based shooting and the like, But again, at that point I have already agreed to have Ghost Recon's little spunk babbies and nothing he can say can change it, if he has FUNNY points I STILL LAUGH MY ASS OFF.

Long ass rant short,

Your view is skewed, He hates Cover Based shooting. He hates sight seeing tours. he hates games that break up the pacing of the shooting for you to look through 20+ boxes for slightly better guns. He loved Painkiller, He loved Prince of Persia, He loved Silent hill 2, Saying he hates all games is like if I said Ghost Recon Online sucks because its cover based shooting has been done offline better

Yes ghost recon online I will suck your Dickoff

FFS people his entire shtick is that of an unpleaseable jackass. it is just a routine.

if you get the feeling that he doesn't like a particular game or contradicts himself from one review to the next, maybe its because his dislike is more directed at an industry (he clearly loves) that he feels is shitting on the very audience they claim to want to entertain.

Yep, haven't noticed any change at all really, it seems as good as ever.

Gorilla Gunk:

\
This is a one of the smaller things I don't like about him he is a giant hypocrite in one video he said "I don't like being led by the nose I think the games should let you figure things out by yourself." Then says later maybe a month or 2 later "I didn't know where to go the games was giving me enough markers and etc."

I also don't like that he isn't that good at games in general so he says there too tough when there pretty fair or easy on the hardest difficulty, and don't say "well that's because your a no life." He's paid to review games he should be better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked