Your latest gem.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

alphamalet:
Spec Ops: The Line

The most well-told video game story since Silent Hill 2, that completely embraced the interactive medium it was told on. The shooting was also very solid, and the scarcity of ammo was a welcome mechanic in a game the stresses difficulty of survival under harsh circumstances.

I like you :D

Spec Ops: The line for me as well. You can argue that the gameplay was generic, but I think we needed a familiar environment, setting and character archetypes in order to effectively show the deconstruction of all those elements when the layers were peeled away by the narrative.

The attention to detail in vocal inflections during combat, facial expressions on Walker during combat and the subtle details sprinkled here and there sold the game as a whole to me.

Oh and Dead Space 2. I loved the original despite the flaws in pacing, but I feel that Dead Space 2 improved in every area. Graphics still look absolutely lovely.

Halo 4 did not disappoint but I didn't think it would.
XCOM or Spec Ops.. Both really surprised me tbh
Especially XCOM

Well, I bought Dungeons Quest: Valley of the forgotten last week, and have pumped 15 hours into. I got to kinda test it first at a friends LAN, bought it a few days later, and have played it so much I lost the track of time a few times. Not sure if it is the Tower defense gameplay or the game itself that has made me play it so much, but I'm addicted...

Bad Dudes.

Bought a NES over the weekend, along with Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man 2. I saw Bad Dudes for only $5, but didn't get it. I regretted it, so I went back and got it the next day.

It's everything I thought it would be.

KissmahArceus:
Especially XCOM

I think Halo is really the only game that makes me wish I had an Xbox to play. The problem is that Halo is the only game that makes me wish I had an Xbox. The only other game I would get is Tales of Vesperia, but I would really rather play the more complete PS3 version(which I'll never get to do). So I can't really justify dropping 300 dollars on an Xbox for Halo alone. :s Halo 4 looks pretty sweet, though. I was considering Spec Ops, but I always reconsider when I have it in my hand. I dunno why. I want it, but my past experience with any and all shooters save for Halo, keeps making me put it back. :{

I went crazy and bought a 3DS XL this past week. In my defense, I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the original, backlight-less GBA Advance. I can play all the great DS games I missed too (so it was NOT a waste of money, shut up D:). I purchased the following games, and here's what I think of them:

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning: The only other Harvest Moon I've ever played was the first N64 one. In celebration of going crazy, I bought a new Harvest Moon hoping I still like that kind of game. Have not played through all of the annoyingly slow tutorial. No real impressions yet.

Super Mario 3D Land: Wow, this game is good. I really like the quick but vastly different level design philosophy (I haven't played Galaxy). The references to old Mario games are great; the ending to one level was the racoon tail cheat area you could reach by flying against the ceiling of the first fortress level of Super Mario 3. I especially enjoyed when they appropriately remixed a theme to sound like elevator music on a level that took place entirely on an elevator. Almost every level has been good; I really like the variety, it never sticks with an idea for too long, consistently throwing new and variations of other stuff at you. The levels where a dark Mario follows your exact path a few seconds back adds a nice bit of challenge as you can never stop moving and need to be conscious of retreading ground. In comparison to the other games with their annoying tutorials, this game just let's you out and explains nothing. I just came across a level where I'm pretty sure the only way to make the jump is to use the lunge jump, which is never explained--and you might not even know exists because its input is a bit weird: run > crouch briefly > jump. The 3D is even good and I've spent most of my time with it with the 3D on. I like the 3DS's 3D (well, just on this game) because it avoids the problems that make me dislike 3D so much: the 3DS does not make the image blurrier or darker. I have made my self cross eyed quite a few times by jostling the display though :).

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars: It's kind of like XCOM for 3DS, somewhat. You guide class-based soldiers on a grid and shoot at things tactically. The story and characters are, uh, forgettable. The graphics are okay sometimes, and fuzzy and jaggy the rest of the time. The game itself has me hopeful. So far, it's too easy and the AI can be prodigiously stupid. I'm playing every mission on Elite (hardest) too. The upgrades from leveling up are starting to get more interesting, my optical camouflage solider just got the knife ability, so she can stealth in and slit throats which is quite satisfying. The graphics, story, characters, animations and sound effects are poor, but the game has still I think been my second favorite out of the 4 surprisingly. The classes are cool: heavy gunner, engineer, optical camo lady, sniper. They all have their uses, good amount of variety even early in the game. If it continues to get more interesting as I unlock more abilities, I have hope for this game.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS Backwards compatibility: Not a waste of money!): I adored Super Mario RPG on SNES, but I never seem to like the Mario and Luigi RPGs nearly as much (I played SuperStar Saga on my brother's DS). They're funny, quirky and seem to have all the ingredients for a great, off-beat RPG but I can never play them for too long. It has a lot of small problems that build up. The puzzles feel like busy work: e.g. there are two paths, one is blocked and the other has a switch at the end, this is a puzzle, don't get too stressed out okay? There's also too much tutorial, but thankfully you can skip them all. Healing items are too good, especially considering the nature of the combat. I wish timings were more strict for both offense and defense to make combat harder. Only the bosses hit hard enough to be real threat, but the OP and abundant healing items remove any danger. I can't really explain it. Super Mario RPG's combat only grew tiresome towards the end of the game, but I couldn't finish SuperStar Saga and this one is already a little tiresome. It appears like a great game with even better combat than SSS, and a lot of neat ideas switching control back and forth between M&L and Bowser. I don't know why I don't enjoy it more. Still good, but hoping I'll figure out how to like it more.

So, so far: 3D Land >> Ghost Recon > M&L: Bowser's BM; and no idea about Harvest Moon yet. Super Mario 3D Land could actually contend for my GOTY, the fusion of nostalgia and just very good 3D platforming may be enough? It's also letting me play as Luigi now, which is another point in its favor.

Crackdown, I got a cheap xbox 360 off of a friend a couple of weeks ago and ordered ODST and a couple of other games. With exams coming up I thought I would just try a couple of them out. Later that day I had just finshed clearing the first island and had done no study. Such a fun game to just run around in, killing people and collecting experience.

alphamalet:
Spec Ops: The Line

The most well-told video game story since Silent Hill 2, that completely embraced the interactive medium it was told on. The shooting was also very solid, and the scarcity of ammo was a welcome mechanic in a game the stresses difficulty of survival under harsh circumstances.

Yeah essentially this. Also the multiple fitting ending allow for a suprising amount of replay value. Atleast much more than ultra-linear, choke chain quote on quote "realistic shooters". But fuck those games they don't deserve to lick the shit off Spec Ops the Line's emaculately well constructed boots.

Persona 1 on the PSP, downloaded it because of my love for 3+4 and I heard mixed opinions on it, but it is a ton of fun!

Exius Xavarus:

KissmahArceus:
Especially XCOM

I think Halo is really the only game that makes me wish I had an Xbox to play. The problem is that Halo is the only game that makes me wish I had an Xbox. The only other game I would get is Tales of Vesperia, but I would really rather play the more complete PS3 version(which I'll never get to do). So I can't really justify dropping 300 dollars on an Xbox for Halo alone. :s Halo 4 looks pretty sweet, though. I was considering Spec Ops, but I always reconsider when I have it in my hand. I dunno why. I want it, but my past experience with any and all shooters save for Halo, keeps making me put it back. :{

You can get a pre-owned Xbox for less than 100 bucks now. Just thought you should know.

I just ordered Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes in Time for DS on Amazon the other day, should be here this week. My friend showed me the original GC one over the summer and I really liked the concept and mechanics, though the fucking ridiculous multiplayer setup was shit. Hopefully the wi-fi cooperative play is fun and easy.

Oh and i bought the Jak and Daxter collection because I can't play any of my fucking PS2 games on my $300 next-gen console. At least my old Black Monolith still has some uses.

Lately I've been enjoying :

Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga Honestly i'm not sure why i put this game off for so long. Its a bit hard at first and it drags for the first few hours but once it hits a certain point, it really becomes fun. Its great to run into a camp of goblins and find a Troll, and switch at will between a bow and great-sword and never get hit a single time. Its tons of fun and i got it for about 10 bucks.

Raider Z For a free to play MMO, its slowly drawing me in. The ability to wander around, find a rare boss and tear him limb from limb is surprisingly awesome. I enjoy it, and at the very least it has occupied a few slow hours.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005 The new Need For Speed is alright, but i re-installed the 2005 version because its so much more fun. I enjoy being able to cruise around, find a tollbooth race, destroy my best time and then lead the cops on a 20-30 minute chase all the while having a massive blast with it. Its probably my favorite thing to do lately :P

I spent the last year playing through "Skyrim" a couple of times, so I was thrilled to death (pun intended) when I got "Darksiders II".

As silly as this sounds, with the platforming, intuitive puzzles and the boss fights that relied on strategy as opposed to just button mashing, it was nice to play a game that required some actual thought.

This might be my absolute favorite RPG of this generation and a good candidate of being among my favorite games of this gen, if not one of my all time favorites.

I've been sinking so many hours in this game it's not even funny (well, actually it's a lot of fun for me :D).
I haven't felt this engaged with a videogame ever since Okami, The Secret World and the Thief series.

I love Bethesda's games and Skyrim was all kinds of awesome, but this game is all I ever freaking wanted in a videogame; colossal and epic boss fights without them turning into roller coaster spectacles with QTEs, engaging and emotional (though vague) storyline without turning into a soap opera, lots of dungeon crawling with huge amounts of variety (and I mean lots, as in "the entire game is one huge dungeon"), unforgiving difficulty reminiscent of the NES era games but without being unfair (if I die, it's mostly my fault and not the game being cheap or unresponsive), amazing graphics, incredibly smooth and responsive controls, insane amounts of fun playing online with or against people, a game that rewards smart play and punishes stupidity (or not paying attention or being reckless)...

This game is my wet dream of all the things I ever wanted to have in a single game.

Well, I picked up one of the recent Humble Indie Bundles, and by God it was one of the best purchases I've ever made! Here's a rundown of my experiences.

Limbo: Adored the atmosphere and the puzzles were great. Was a bit disappointed that the scary factor went down a bit after the spider/evil kids section was over, essentially turning it into a dimly lit puzzle platformer with gruesome deaths, but I still loved it. Played through it three times.

Psychonauts: PC controls are pretty bad, and there's a nasty glitch on the last level that makes completing it a lesson in anger management, but on the whole one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. Wonderful writing, fantastic concept, beautiful execution. Played through twice.

Braid: I have to admit, I didn't really get into this one. Which is a shame, as with all the hype I was looking forward to it. The so-called story part seems to have been shoved in post-production, and I hate the whole "read it in chunks between levels instead of actually experiencing it" gimmick. The gameplay's solid, and the time twisting puzzles are clever and well done, but since story is a big thing to me the way it was handled just turned me off, especially since it could be removed entirely and you'll still have the same game. Didn't finish it, may return to it someday.

Bastion: ADORED this game! Had some control problems, but on the whole it was wonderfully creative and brilliantly executed. And the narration was fantastic. Played through three times.

Eversion: Yeah, I know it wasn't part of the package, but I picked it up about the same time. The platforming bits were decent enough, the puzzles challenging, and I liked the whole world change gimmick. Hate how beating it makes it go into time-attack mode though, as I wouldn't mind playing through it again normally. But overall, I enjoyed it.

I'm still working up the courage to give Amnesia a roll, and Super Meat Boy honestly doesn't interest me.

Latest game I got was Spec Ops: The Line for my birthday and after I finished it I was pretty quick to put it down for possible game of the year.

Story is just fantastic and as it gets nearer to the end you really see how Walker is going crazy.

The Walking Dead. I've never really played any flat-out adventure games before, because they tend to have puzzles that frustrate the hell out of me, but I picked up the four released episodes on a whim a week or two back and played through them all back-to-back, and boy was I surprised. Telltale did a great job, everything about it was just fantastic (ignoring how slowly Lee walks around when sometimes all I wanted to do was start... jogging... god you walk so slow!) and I was not expecting it to be nearly as brutal as it was (knowing literally nothing about the Walking Dead as a franchise before I got the games).

Towns.

Imagine MineCraft, Simcity, and Dwarf Fortress had a threesome and produced a mutant, two father bastard. It would be this game.
And it is awesome.

Still has lots of room for improvement. At the moment, half the challenge is outsmarting all the ways your villager's stupidity can kill them (seriously i've had them die of starvation because they entered a mine while hungry and couldn't get back in time) but the makers are updating it semi-regularly. Still, it's incredibly engaging in it's present form.

WWE'13

I haven't played a WWE video game in the past couple years, but I pick this up because they had a bunch of wrestlers in it from 1998-2000 and I wanted to relive my childhood.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it, if it had a bit more tweeking I'd say it was a No Mercy killer.

Kyr Knightbane:
My thanks, but I am quite well aware of this. I browse GameStop's wares enough to know what I can and can't get for what price. I, however, am one of those people that prefer to have a new product, unless said product is so rare or old that there's no possible manner of obtaining it brand new. Until the Xbox becomes such a scarcity that not a single new console exists, I shan't purchase a pre-owned console. Same applies for my games.

SupahGamuh:
I know exactly how you feel. I've sunk at least 600+ hours into that game between 5-7 characters that had 70+ hours, 2 characters that had 90+ hours, and several others with 30-40 hours on them. Dark Souls is a brilliant game, as far as I'm concerned.<3

Well I just completed Zero's Escape for my Vita, had a rage-meltdown over the fact that they tease you with MOAR SECRETZ at the end, just like they did with 999, and I'm desperately hoping and praying we'll see another game. I love visual novels, the genre is sadly lacking in america so I snatch them up whenever they appear. So now that I'm done I'm playing paper mario as well! I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, especially since I really didn't care for the super paper mario on the wii.

Between that and the ratchet and clank HD collection I picked up for 1/2 off, I should be set until persona 4 comes in and I play nothing else until ni no kuni.
/twirls

I bought Okami HD two weeks ago, and it felt wonderful playing through the old girl again in spanking fresh high definition. It also helped me wash the sawdust out of my mouth after playing Assassin's Creed 3.

I just got Pokemon White 2, and I'm finding it enjoyable but different.

For one thing, the game seems a lot slower paced than previous ones, and it also seems to me that the battles are much harder. I usually takes me three or four days to charge through a pokemon game, and I've had it for almost two weeks now and not even got all the badges.
I guess it could be that there are way more places to explore, but that doesn't explain the difficulty. I'm not used to running back to the Pokemon Center every one or two battles.

I just played Sonic Generations, but that ones cheating since I've owned it for a year and just never opened it. I like it enough that it rekindled the Sonic Fan I thought long dead in me, and that's terrifying.

Exius Xavarus:

KissmahArceus:
Especially XCOM

The story makes Spec Ops the game that it is, gameplay is good and graphics, set pieces are all good too.
But the story, what happens to Walker and his squad and the choices you are faced with are stunning, never played a character like Walker before.
Or at least, I've never played someone that changes the way Walker does before

Bought Enslaved Odyssey to the West for about ten buck a couple of days ago. I just started Chapter six and am finding the game to be quite enjoyable. The platforming has a nice sense of flow and the combat is fun if a bit frustrating. Not too bad for ten bucks.

Probably going to pick up Code of Princess in a few days once my next paycheck comes through.

Pathologic

It's a game that due to some shoddiness isn't widely regarded by a lot of people but the ones who it does gel with *really* get it. Luckily it seems to have sunk in with me and I love it.

Hence my avatar.

Recently picked up Deadly Premonition. Some of the time management is messy, and core combat lacks polish, but I'd say the everything else makes it an underrated gem, with York easily being one of my favorite protagonists I've ever played. Quickest way to describe it is Silent Hill with a sense of humor.

TakerFoxx:

Limbo: Adored the atmosphere and the puzzles were great. Was a bit disappointed that the scary factor went down a bit after the spider/evil kids section was over, essentially turning it into a dimly lit puzzle platformer with gruesome deaths, but I still loved it. Played through it three times.

Psychonauts: PC controls are pretty bad, and there's a nasty glitch on the last level that makes completing it a lesson in anger management, but on the whole one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. Wonderful writing, fantastic concept, beautiful execution. Played through twice.

Braid: I have to admit, I didn't really get into this one. Which is a shame, as with all the hype I was looking forward to it. The so-called story part seems to have been shoved in post-production, and I hate the whole "read it in chunks between levels instead of actually experiencing it" gimmick. The gameplay's solid, and the time twisting puzzles are clever and well done, but since story is a big thing to me the way it was handled just turned me off, especially since it could be removed entirely and you'll still have the same game.

Pretty closely covered most of my own reactions to these. Limbo was beautifully atmospheric, though the forest was definitely the highlight. Psychonauts remains one of my favorites titles, despite some dodgy platforming, and Braid had clever puzzles with lovely style, but the text segments felt disjointed with the expositional rooms.

hotline miami, got it off steam for 6.99. it really good, hard and violent. sadly its bugy as fuck, i can get past the 5th mission it crashes every time.

Civilization V and having a hell of a lot of fun with it. Got the Play the World mod and am currently in a war with the Iroquois and the Aztecs for the North American continent. The only other Civ game I played was 4 on the xbox which was piss easy by comparison. I like the finite resources aspect of this game the most, having to manage your economy between expansion, purchasing(and upgrading thanks to another mod) buildings and amassing an army. I've got the eastern side of US and Canada locked down, the Iroquois have northwestern US and Canada and the Aztecs have central and middle America and it's 1000 AD. Haven't seen any other of the 22 nations but I keep getting notifications of unknown nations losing their capitals so I'm really curious as to what's going on in Europe and Asia. Also the history buff in me loves to read through the game's encyclopedia.

Also per-ordered Far Cry 3 and got Tomb Raider Anniversary and Legend when they were on sale. Anniversary seems to have more bugs than the original Tomb Raider though. Literally took me a half hour to beat the T-Rex boss because it got stuck in a corner and took forever to die.

X-COM!

I bought this game at full price, which is really rare for me since I told myself Skyrim would be my last. X-COM however could not wait, I needed to play it and enjoy it.

It is probably in my top 10 videogame list. Too early to say for sure though, I have played it for 36 hours already.

Most recently I picked up borderlands 2, Pokemon black 2 and Dragons Dogma. Borderlands 2 is a lot of fun with a friend and feels more polished than 1 and with better dialogue. Pokemon I'll get to soon but so far I like it. Dragons Dogma was an impulse buy and is a lot of fun. Definitely better than I had hoped for.

Right now though I'm trying to get to the new DLC in Dark Souks on console.

After this I dunno, maybe I'll check out black ops 2 or I'll play the uncharted series on ps3.

I've been playing Happy Wars with my uncle over Xbox live, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far. It's server's are pretty messy right now and it feels like some of your opponents can be overpowered online, but hey it was free!

Fallout New Vegas, during the Steam sale.

And... I think I've had too much of that Bethesda style open world stuff. I am a fan, actually, kind of, but I'm afraid I'm burned out or something. Not catching fire with this game.

Halo 4, been waiting since it was announced, not disappointed in the slightest.
Definetly my GOTY.

Daystar Clarion:

OT: Newest game is Halo 4. Haven't even played the campaign yet, as I've always seen the single player aspect of the franchise as being severely overrated.

Multiplayer is a blast though.

Never thought I'd say this to your highness, but seriously, are you barking mad?
Go and play the campaign now! It's epic! Best campaign in the series up to date (at least according to this here extreme fanboy).

White_Lama:
Halo 4, been waiting since it was announced, not disappointed in the slightest.
Definetly my GOTY.

Daystar Clarion:

OT: Newest game is Halo 4. Haven't even played the campaign yet, as I've always seen the single player aspect of the franchise as being severely overrated.

Multiplayer is a blast though.

Never thought I'd say this to your highness, but seriously, are you barking mad?
Go and play the campaign now! It's epic! Best campaign in the series up to date (at least according to this here extreme fanboy).

Highness? :D

I've never liked the Halo storyline, and the campaigns are just boring.

Multiplayer is what I plays 'dem for :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked