Fail stabs

Recently I've gotten back into playing TF2 and I'm very rusty.

Being the spy hard that I am, I refuse to play as other class until I get better as a spy, and I've gotten so many failstabs that made me laugh at myself.

My favorite(also classical) is when I was about to backstab a medic and heavy combo, being the MLG spy that I am I clicked a second before the right time. could've been a glitch though), scratched the medic and got mowed down by a minigun.

So people of the escapist, share your failstab stories with me. (Or your general TF2 fails if you don't play spy)

(Excuse my grammar xD)

My failstab = everytime I use spy.

Nothing good every comes out of me playing a spy, I am just so bad.

I've made some pretty terrible trades over the years.

I'm a sucker for "plz im new and dont have a hat yet"

I've played TF2 once, for one match, and I didn't get a single point. I was playing as the Scout and I was constantly mowed down/sniped/back stabbed/medicated (get it?) so I guess that was a fail...

Lt._nefarious:
I've played TF2 once, for one match, and I didn't get a single point. I was playing as the Scout and I was constantly mowed down/sniped/back stabbed/medicated (get it?) so I guess that was a fail...

play pyro and spycheck everyone

you do that, even if you don't get kills, you are credit to team

that being said, learn to play pyro well and you'll massacre people wholesale

My connection lags too much to play TF2 these days :(

I actually did okay as Spy though. Most Spies seem to go solely for backstabs, but... you can see enemy health! You have a gun which is actually pretty accurate and powerful even though you like to think it's not (seriously, the number of people who complain about the allegedly freakish inaccuracy of one of the game's most accurate weapons boggles the mind). You're behind enemy lines, you can line up your opening shot, you can easily deal 50-75 or so damage before they can react. It's not hard to pick off damaged opponents as they retreat from the front lines. You should try for backstabs as a main strategy, but not a lot of Spies seem to be alert to the opportunity to use the revolver.

The other day I had a chain of three or four failstabs on a completely deaf and blind medic.

I swear the next one was gonna work but his pocket heavy noticed me just in time D:<

The stab angle is hilarious, sidestabbing people is hilarious, especially the rage the follows.

Also, use the ambassador. It's hilariously powerful.

i am a terrible spy as such the only time i play as one is when are team is destroying the other team or when are team is losing terrible and starting to turtle. either way i never do that good as one.

I've stabbed many a sentry before attempting to sap the engineer. It doesn't work.

2Fort, Enemy Ramparts. Works everytime. I can get about three Sniper stabs if I'm lucky and no one turns around or is wearing a Razorback. Sometimes I'm able to stab other classes but I have to plan out those kills. I usually play a killer sniper though.

Nile McMorrow:
2Fort, Enemy Ramparts. Works everytime. I can get about three Sniper stabs if I'm lucky and no one turns around or is wearing a Razorback. Sometimes I'm able to stab other classes but I have to plan out those kills. I usually play a killer sniper though.

Eh, 2fort is the last map to play if you want get better so nearly every sniper there has the situational awareness of a dead cat. Also, Razorback is the worst second slot the sniper can have, when I play spy then the razorback just changes the weapon I kill him with (revolver ftw).

OT: Hmm... When I lock onto a heavy, run into stab range and the second I want to stab him he turns around, I stab him in the face and get mowed down by a minigun...

yuval152:
Recently I've gotten back into playing TF2 and I'm very rusty.

Being the spy hard that I am, I refuse to play as other class until I get better as a spy, and I've gotten so many failstabs that made me laugh at myself.

My favorite(also classical) is when I was about to backstab a medic and heavy combo, being the MLG spy that I am I clicked a second before the right time. could've been a glitch though), scratched the medic and got mowed down by a minigun.

So people of the escapist, share your failstab stories with me. (Or your general TF2 fails if you don't play spy)

(Excuse my grammar xD)

Well stalking behind a medic in a heavy/medic combo, before finally backstabbing after 2 minutes of stalking, for just as you decloak and back-stab, the medic activates uber and the uber-ed heavy mows you down.

Not really a failstab, just a

"Oh, fuck you fate." moment.

You should play with me sometime, always looking for more escapists to play with^^

Spycheck is stupid.
TF2 should have friendly fire on by default.
So there's a penalty for going around 'spychecking'.
It makes finding an enemy spy too easy.

ResonanceSD:
The stab angle is hilarious, sidestabbing people is hilarious, especially the rage the follows.

You seem to know your way around Spies, Resonance. I've seen you talk about them before.

Would you care to give your opinion on the L'Etranger Spy pistol? I use it on my loadout with the stock knife (Festive) and stock invisibility watch (Poker Night). I've been trying to play Spy as well, but I am just not very good at it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Z of the Na'vi:

ResonanceSD:

You seem to know your way around Spies, Resonance. I've seen you talk about them before.

Would you care to give your opinion on the L'Etranger Spy pistol? I use it on my loadout with the stock knife (Festive) and stock invisibility watch (Poker Night). I've been trying to play Spy as well, but I am just not very good at it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

I straight up hate saharan spies, for a start :p

L'etranger is decent for spies who don't know map layouts, I find it not as useful as the ambassador, but it has decent utility.

I use my strange knife (or sharp dresser), strange DR and strange amby these days =D

cswurt:
Spycheck is stupid.
TF2 should have friendly fire on by default.
So there's a penalty for going around 'spychecking'.
It makes finding an enemy spy too easy.

Only if the spy sucks and doesn't know what he's doing.

My stab function in call of duty is always failing when I need it most

TheKasp:
Eh, 2fort is the last map to play if you want get better so nearly every sniper there has the situational awareness of a dead cat. Also, Razorback is the worst second slot the sniper can have, when I play spy then the razorback just changes the weapon I kill him with (revolver ftw).

2Fort isn't really for getting better at spy, it's more for dicking around with that class and seeing what sort of Stab spree you can get. Point defense maps are for practice. Well it really depends on the situation if a sniper is using a Razorback. If he is in an area with multiple enemies then backstabbing him is still the better modus operandi as there's a chance he'll be too engrossed in his targets across the way to hear the telltale crack and hiss of it breaking allowing you to end him with a second stab. However if he is on his own then head shot to victory. Personally I use Razorback as I can distinguish the zzzt from my shots and shove a kukri up the backside of the unfortunate spy. Also when they switch to revolver, the spys I always face seem to default shooting me in the body so I still have a chance to hack them to death.

And just a kind note for any snipers who use the razorback.

Spies have guns.

Well I use Dead Ringer and will never ever stop using it ever. Pretty sure half the TF2 community hates me now :P

To be fair, my frame rate is so terrible that I kinda need a get out of death free card to make things fair. Even if it can get you out of every death ever.

Standard Knife, Dead Ringer, The Ambassador. I did have that one knife that instantly turns you into whoever you backstab but I dislike how you lose the standard disguise kit. Plus it has zero synergy with Dead Ringer.

Nile McMorrow:

2Fort isn't really for getting better at spy, it's more for dicking around with that class and seeing what sort of Stab spree you can get. Point defense maps are for practice. Well it really depends on the situation if a sniper is using a Razorback. If he is in an area with multiple enemies then backstabbing him is still the better modus operandi as there's a chance he'll be too engrossed in his targets across the way to hear the telltale crack and hiss of it breaking allowing you to end him with a second stab. However if he is on his own then head shot to victory. Personally I use Razorback as I can distinguish the zzzt from my shots and shove a kukri up the backside of the unfortunate spy. Also when they switch to revolver, the spys I always face seem to default shooting me in the body so I still have a chance to hack them to death.

I know that 2fort is a nice map for dicking around and the reason is the one I stated: There are 'regular' 2fort players and they always are the biggest part of the playerbase on such a server. So if there are 3-5 sniper on the balcony then you can be sure that you could come up there with an orchestra following you and they would not notice.

Razorback has the problem that it doesn't stop spies. Instead of backstabbing you he lines up a headshot with the ambassador and kills you or just shoots you with the revolver, the few situations where the Razorback is described as usefull (an often brought up example is when the sniper is covered by a sentry) then the spy has other worries than the Sniper and he could be there with any other second slot. Even in the situation described by you: I would just headshot the fucker from a small distance and then get out or go for targets of bigger priority (since my sniper are there to deal with enemy sniper), as a spy I'm never engrossed in the 'pulk' because the people on my regular servers check everybody, I have to fish for the few seconds where I can get someone out of surprise.
And that Sniper has two really good secondary slots in 1: The MSG. It allows close quarter combat more reliable and gives you the option to finish of a target that is out of your distance-comfort zone (as in: too close). And the Jarate that is one of the best secondaries in the game. Extinguishing fires, spycheck, additional damage to enemy pulks and a fierce melee fighter with Jarate Bushwacka combo. All the advantages of Razorback can be replicated by situational awareness.

But then again, if you do fine with the Razorback who am I to tell you what secondary to use. I myself rolled long enough with it and overall it really did not fit my playstyle.

The Wykydtron:
Well I use Dead Ringer and will never ever stop using it ever. Pretty sure half the TF2 community hates me now :P

To be fair, my frame rate is so terrible that I kinda need a get out of death free card to make things fair. Even if it can get you out of every death ever.

Standard Knife, Dead Ringer, The Ambassador. I did have that one knife that instantly turns you into whoever you backstab but I dislike how you lose the standard disguise kit. Plus it has zero synergy with Dead Ringer.

Well, the half at least who doesn't have any sound or experience dealing with a dead ringer. I mean, if you decloak any decent player can hear you from half the map so he could adjust to what he heard (I know I do... and somehow I'm one of the few that remembers what watches the enemy spies use).

I personally rolled the dead ringer for a while, with the eternal reward it can be a really fun time if you know the maps well enough to catch a player offguard because then you can go on a killing spree, my favorite is taking down sentry nests by backstabbing the engies and then sapping everything. You have to do mindgames though and you have to use the saharian spy set (no decloak sound). If the enemies get the feeling that they caught you offguard they often forget to look behind their back, so taking a few shots and then triggering the dead ringer can give you the time and area needed to backstab someone for the disguise.

My loadout consists of Spycicle, l'etrangler, Dead Ringer and Red Tape Recorder.

I fine the l'etrangler compliments the Dead Ringer best out of the revolvers, and using the Spycicle makes protection from Pyros considerably easier.

I like to dress up as a sniper and stand next to other snipers on the opposing team to get the drop on them. One time, I do my usual stealth - disguise - blend into the crowd technique and go stand by a sniper, only to get stabbed as he was ALSO a spy, who had apparently gotten wise to my strategy.

I tried to stab a lemon once while making lemonade. Came at it entirely at the wrong angle. Juice everywhere in my eyes.

TF2 is not the game it was anymore to me as 500-600 hour spy :( Almost every class has some antispy stuff now - the milk, the airblastpuff, the razorback etc etc. Left the game 2 years ago, havent really gone back.

I used to love playing spy. As your actions are usually unnoticed by your own team, satisfaction comes out of the rage comments of the opposing team and their increased paranoia + pyros.

Probably had my share of failstabs but sadly don't remember one right away.

I utterly dominated a sniper only server, then joined a regular one and got a K/D of 4/19 just yesterday.
Figures.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked