Great Free-Roaming Games

Aside from the obvious such as Assassin's Creed, inFAMOUS, and [PROTOTYPE], what are some really fun free-roamers? The consoles I have are Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo 3DS, Mac, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3.

The obvious answer is the Elder Scrolls series, the freeroamiest of freeroaming RPGs, although you've probably already considered them, if not played them.

I would highly recommend Just Cause 2. It's basically Grand Theft Auto on a gaint island. Also, you get a grappling hook and a parachute. Ignore the story and missions and spend your time blowing stuff up on the island.

PS2? Get Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

State of Emergency on PS2 if you can find it.

I think that Just Cause 2 did well, too.

ohnoitsabear:
The obvious answer is the Elder Scrolls series, the freeroamiest of freeroaming RPGs, although you've probably already considered them, if not played them.

I would highly recommend Just Cause 2. It's basically Grand Theft Auto on a giant island. Also, you get a grappling hook and a parachute. Ignore the story and missions and spend your time blowing stuff up on the island.

Yeah, I was going to pretty much say this. Both are fantastic choices.

Like they said above, Just Cause 2 is excellent for its free roaming nature. A mind bogglingly huge island, and lots of fun baddies for you to kill and bases for you to assault.

Also, the Saints Row series is probably one of the best for simply dicking around in a massive, open world. The world just feels fun, as opposed to just feeling big.

The best answer and the only free-roaming game you'll ever need is JUST CAUSE 2. JUST CAUSE 2. JUST CAUSE 2.

Get JUST CAUSE 2.

Well, my favourite free-roaming game is Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction so I'll suggest that.

Destroy All Humans! 1 and 2 are also very fun.

All three are available on PS2.

Red Dead Redemption

Sly cooper series?
I mean it IS linear but it doesn't feel that way.
It's available on the PS2 and PS3, the latter having the HD remake of the previous 3.

Maybe Fuel? Its strictly a racing game but I think it beat the record for biggest sandbox environment ever.

I personally found Fuel quite dull though, but Just Cause 2 is definitely your best bet if its a huge fun open world game you're looking for.

Skyrim and Just Cause 2.

Also, you didn't list PC but you can probably run Minecraft as the system requirements are pretty low.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

It has got the best apocalyptic open world that I have ever seen. One of the things which sold me the game was that at any time I could tune into one of the Wasteland radios and enjoy the music and news.

Really, it's fantastic for exploring the world.

skywolfblue:
Red Dead Redemption

I second this. Easily in my top 10 games of all time (Maybe, i haven't made this list)

I have used bootcamp before to play SR2 before. Or you can use Virtual Box.

try spiderman 2 on the ps2. story content is shit but boy is there shitloads of new york to explore

Does Tony Hawk Underground count? That was a great game.

Free roaming games where you wreck shit?
Just Cause 2 is great, GTA: San Andreas is loads of fun and... Deathspank? I guess?

Oblivion and Skyrim are the only 2 I have enjoyed I probably would have enjoyed Morrowind if I got to it sooner, most free roaming games feel off to me like they created the place first and then they try and find stuff to do in it as such they usually feel pretty empty and barren.

Okay, just to elaborate on something, when I said Free-Roamers, I actually more like games like Spider-Man. Games where you have a large area and a fun way of getting around.

Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim should float your boat.

Also Saints Row 3

Blitsie:
Maybe Fuel? Its strictly a racing game but I think it beat the record for biggest sandbox environment ever.

I personally found Fuel quite dull though, but Just Cause 2 is definitely your best bet if its a huge fun open world game you're looking for.

Fuel is better in PC due to some mods, but it still has a hard time being that interesting due to the lack of cool places in such a big map

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked