007 legends is better then blops 2 according to user reviews

Following in the footsteps of MW3, troves of review bombers have descended upon the blops 2 metacritic user score giving it a measly average of 4 out of 10, with the most helpful negative review reading as follows.
"Same game as any other Call of Duty after COD 4, adds absolutely nothing new. Campaign fells like a boring B-movie. What a huge disappointment and a waste of money."
This user proceeded to rate blops 2 a 2 out of 10.
At the same time 007 Legends, considered by many professional reviewers to be an absolutely horrid game, has a user score of 4.5. Apparently making it the better game than blops 2.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would go into a CoD game expecting to have their expectations changed, challenged or knowing that you're probably going to be disappointed if you don't like that sort of thing.

Not that CoD being like that is a good thing, but it's kind of a 'you know how it goes' kind of thing, it's pretty guaranteed right from the off what it's going to be, so why bother buying it?

EDIT: just looking at the related article on Destructoid; I love how half of these 'user reviews' are from people who haven't played the game.

I just played through some of blops2 campaign and I must say it's MUCH better than anything they've released since MW1.

This coming from the a guy who has hated blops1 and disliked all the other games post MW1.

Yes, it's very directed and full of set-pieces like you'd expect, but the action isn't as bat-shit crazy and chaotic as blops1 and mw3, the gameplay is good and the levels aren't crushingly linear. Level design is much closer to MW1 and CoD2 than any other recent title and there are quite a few levels that offer something other than super-linear shooting galleries.

It's also got PACING, something that no game since MW1 has had (well maybe MW2... a bit).

The story is meh, only there to give some loose context to all the action (like you'd expect anything else). It's certainly not as migraine inducing as blops1. Some of the set pieces are so ridiculously over the top they made me laugh, but it doesn't really seem to be played straight like in blops1 and once I got used to them I found them very enjoyable. Especially the part where you get to run around killing entire battalions of enemies armed with a machete and screaming more incoherent rage than the Hulk...

The game is actually fun.

Overall I think the review bombing is a knee-jerk reaction. The game is certainly nowhere near as bad as previous titles. I found myself kinda liking it and I'm actually considering buying it (playing on a friend's laptop/steam) if the multiplayer is anywhere close to MW1.

VladG:
Especially the part where you get to run around killing entire battalions of enemies armed with a machete and screaming more incoherent rage than the Hulk...

That sounds so silly it's brilliant.

I always interpreted the plot of BlOps as a ridiculously silly B-movie anyway, can't hurt to go the whole hog.

the first 2 posts are both fallout characters, awesome.

anyway on topic, people have different opinions, I highly doubt all of the people who gave low scores are just review bombing.

PieBrotherTB:

VladG:
Especially the part where you get to run around killing entire battalions of enemies armed with a machete and screaming more incoherent rage than the Hulk...

That sounds so silly it's brilliant.

I always interpreted the plot of BlOps as a ridiculously silly B-movie anyway, can't hurt to go the whole hog.

Yep, pretty much that's what they've gone for. The very MW1-esque shooting galleries (that is shooting galleries where you actually have 2-3 possible cover-routes to get to your objective and some encouragement to use them and the action is subdued enough not to give you migraines)is broken up by the very over the top but fun nonetheless set pieces like the above mentioned machete-mayhem or galloping across the desert on horseback armed with an RPG and more missiles than a bloody attack helicopter taking out tanks and... attack helicopters.

There are also fairly interesting semi-tactical missions where you are given several objectives and control over a few units (ranging from foot soldiers, drones, the guard bots from Deus Ex and a bloody 4-legged mech) which you can either order around rts style and/or take direct control over. Obviously the "tactical" elements are very simplistic, but it's a refreshing break from the norm nonetheless.

Oh, and some of the "stealth" missions are actually more than just following the leader. You can actually make your own way across as long as you don't get noticed.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked