Earth 2160 - worth it? 'Cause it's free.

This time I did check user reviews but didn't find much about it (I hope I didn't miss anything, though) and there wasn't anything there, so I turn my gaze at GD. Tell me, oh wise and powerful Escapist hivemind, is Earth 2160 good?

Green Man Gaming gives it out for free until tomorrow, I read the description: "Save mankind, enter the machine, or join ultimate alien army?" after "the machine" it sounded too interesting to pass up, so I got it. But I realised I didn't actually know anything about it, aside from being a strategy. And my search through the Escapist told be it's an RTS. I'm hoping for something more specific, though.

I had to look it up, as there have been a bunch of "Earth 2XXX" games. 2160 is the last one and if I recall correctly, it's a pretty solid one. Customizable units, fairly different playable factions, decent visuals for its time. I don't recall hating the game. Heck, might check it out myself if it's free, an extra trip down memory lane wouldn't hurt. Granted, I'm already there, playing Mechcommander, but still... :)

I just downloaded it. I'll give it a try when I find some free time.

I thought it was pretty awesome back in the day. It didn't seem the least bit balanced, but especially the two human factions both had really interesting methods of base-building, and gave you great customization in unit design. The robots and aliens were both sorta boring to play, but the innovation in the rest of the game made up for it.

Some of the older Earth 2xxx games were pretty good. fairly innovative unit creation mechanics - you could mix and match different parts (chassis - propulsion - weapons- etc) and the gameplay was fairly solid.

I don't know about this title in the series, but I'd say it's worth a try.

Got to be worth a try as it's free?

Just got it myself from GMG so if I can pull myself away from Planetside 2 I'll let you know how I get on.

Jandau:
Granted, I'm already there, playing Mechcommander, but still... :)

Oh, gosh...Mech Commander. I loved it so much. I'll have to see if I can find a copy and boot it up once more. Maybe even play Mech Warrior, dunno.

GoaThief:
Got to be worth a try as it's free?

Precisely, however they will ship out the product keys tomorrow, so until then I'd want to know some more stuff. I would have just played it, if I could.

In the old days?

Sure, I really enjoyed it, as well as the rest of the series. Now, has it held well? Dunno, haven't played it in years.

Iwata:
In the old days?

Sure, I really enjoyed it, as well as the rest of the series. Now, has it held well? Dunno, haven't played it in years.

I'm not really concerned with the age of a game. If it was fun one time, chances are, I'll still find it fun. I'll see for myself tomorrow, though.

DoPo:

Iwata:
In the old days?

I'm not really concerned with the age of a game. If it was fun one time, chances are, I'll still find it fun. I'll see for myself tomorrow, though.

I meant as in, other games have come out in the meantime that may make it seem lacking in some areas. It's still a good game.

I played Earth 2150 and it was damn good. Hard as fuck, but very good.

It had a very "Supreme Commander" feel to it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked