Rayman Legends Slowing Down Beyond Good and Evil 2, Also Ubisoft may buy THQ properties

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Didn't see anything about this story in the forums or as a news piece, and I thought it was worth discussing.

According to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, Rayman Legends in slowing the progress of BG&E2, due to Michael Ancel (creator of Rayman and designer for BG&E) being "really on Rayman Legends"

Guillemot also mentioned, while discussing THQ , "They have good things, we are always interested in good brands. For sure, it's something we can consider, but I can't tell you more."

So what's everyone's opinion on either of these.

In terms of Rayman Legends delaying BG&E2, I'm fine with it. As much as I want BG&E2, it's being delayed so that a follow up to one of my favourite games of 2011 can be completed.

And in terms of Ubisoft potentially buying THQ brands, I suppose it could be worse. Not the company I would immediately choose, but not terrible either.

Ubisoft buying THQ's stuff sounds terrible. Especially if they acquire Relic and its franchises (Dawn of War, Homeworld, etc.)...

well itf it does pan out that they buy all those IP its more sales lost for ubisodt. alot of people will not buy their products these days

Oh god. Relic with Ubisoft's PC track record......

wombat_of_war:
well itf it does pan out that they buy all those IP its more sales lost for ubisodt. alot of people will not buy their products these days

That's completely inaccurate

The people whining about DRM on the internet (and justifiably so) do not even come close to representing the game-buying public.

Oh, look. Assassin's Creed III is selling like hot cakes. Fancy that, eh?

Even though they are better than EA I would really prefer them not buying Relic duo to them having one of the worst track records on PC and such. Other than that I do enjoy many Ubisoft games so I wouldn't be too opposed to them buying some thing though I hope they don't "Broaden their appeal".

I'd be complaining, but Ubisoft's recently been dropping the whole DRM thing, and their games actually aren't that bad. So overall, I'm not that concerned.

i don't care as long as the games i want come out and they don't just sit on the ips afterwards

I'm fine with Rayman Legends getting preference over Beyond Good And Evil.

Rayman Origins is one of the finest platforming games to come out in this, or indeed any other generation. Everything about it is spectacularly realised, from the beautiful visuals, to the charming soundtrack, to the insanely clever level design. Rayman Legends looks like it's taking everything that made the first one good, and adding a crapton of stuff to make it even better.

That right there is game design genius.

Beyond Good and Evil, on the other hand, was a good-but-flawed game whose cult fanbase has elevated it into some mythical pinnacle of gaming which, quite frankly, it isn't. There's a lot to love about it, definitely, but there's also a lot to criticise.

And why are people even surprised by this? Out of all the games Michel Ancel has done, the Rayman series is by far his most recognisable contribution to gaming. It's a series that's older, has more instalments and has overall sold a lot more than BG&E. By comparison, BG&E sold pitifully at launch, and the HD re-release sold pretty underwhelmingly as well.

I mean, why are people surprised by this? Rayman makes Ubisoft more money, and has a larger existing fanbase, so that's what they choose to focus on. I don't want to sound like I'm shitting all over BG&E, but a lot of fans are coming across a bit "Michel Ancel is working on Rayman instead of BG&E2!! How dare he! How dare he work on anything other than a sequel to our beloved game!!!!" Believe it or not, there are a lot of Rayman fans (like me) who are actually pleased as punch that he's back working on the Rayman series. Rayman 1 was a great game, Rayman 2 was just sublime, and with Origins last year he absolutely hit it out of the park. And it looks like he's going to do it again with Legends. I'm happy with him focusing on that rather than working on a sequel to a game that isn't anywhere near as marvellous as a lot of people make it out to be.

But hey ho, opinions...

Please, please don't let Ubisoft buy Relic. D:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I'm fine with Rayman Legends getting preference over Beyond Good And Evil.

Rayman Origins is one of the finest platforming games to come out in this, or indeed any other generation. Everything about it is spectacularly realised, from the beautiful visuals, to the charming soundtrack, to the insanely clever level design. Rayman Legends looks like it's taking everything that made the first one good, and adding a crapton of stuff to make it even better.

That right there is game design genius.

Beyond Good and Evil, on the other hand, was a good-but-flawed game whose cult fanbase has elevated it into some mythical pinnacle of gaming which, quite frankly, it isn't. There's a lot to love about it, definitely, but there's also a lot to criticise.

And why are people even surprised by this? Out of all the games Michel Ancel has done, the Rayman series is by far his most recognisable contribution to gaming. It's a series that's older, has more instalments and has overall sold a lot more than BG&E. By comparison, BG&E sold pitifully at launch, and the HD re-release sold pretty underwhelmingly as well.

I mean, why are people surprised by this? Rayman makes Ubisoft more money, and has a larger existing fanbase, so that's what they choose to focus on. I don't want to sound like I'm shitting all over BG&E, but a lot of fans are coming across a bit "Michel Ancel is working on Rayman instead of BG&E2!! How dare he! How dare he work on anything other than a sequel to our beloved game!!!!" Believe it or not, there are a lot of Rayman fans (like me) who are actually pleased as punch that he's back working on the Rayman series. Rayman 1 was a great game, Rayman 2 was just sublime, and with Origins last year he absolutely hit it out of the park. And it looks like he's going to do it again with Legends. I'm happy with him focusing on that rather than working on a sequel to a game that isn't anywhere near as marvellous as a lot of people make it out to be.

But hey ho, opinions...

I just wished Rayman Legends wasn't exclusive to the Wii U.

My brother and I loved Rayman Origins.

Ldude893:
I'd be complaining, but Ubisoft's recently been dropping the whole DRM thing, and their games actually aren't that bad. So overall, I'm not that concerned.

ditto. Im still cautious, since i would rather company of heroes 2 be DRM free, and it is still no guarantee, but really i just want that game to get done.
Ideally, it helps THQ not go under, since ive never EVER been angry at them for doing something bad to the customers, or making a stupid decision with a franchise etc. and i will pre-purchase it as soon as i have the money, if that somehow helps them stay afloat just a bit longer.

(i honestly don't know how pre-purchasing works exactly, all i know is it allows me to pre-load games on my computer, or pick things up at the store day 1, and those features are "tight as f***" to quote dick figures, which i cant seem to get out of my head right now)

Zhukov:

wombat_of_war:

The people whining about DRM on the internet (and justifiably so) do not even come close to representing the game-buying public.

For consoles yes.

The sale numbers for PC (which are the consumers doing the complaining) however are... unavailable. Due mostly to the fact that AC3 hasn't been released on PC yet.

While Ubisoft are stating that they are dropping their stupid DRM practices they still more often than not give PC gamers the shaft.

So please excuse me for not jumping up and down in joy at the unconfirmed rumours that they are buying PC focused brands (mainly Relics creations) from THQ.

No wonder I loved Rayman Origins so much, it was made by the last smart person working for Ubisoft.

OT: I can't remember the last time I played a THQ game so I can't really complain about that. I was also against Rayman Legends at first, but when the designer is too busy working on a sequel to a good game instead of a sequel to another good game, I can't think of an argument.

Very much agreed on NOT wanting Ubi to acquire the brands handled by THQ. Well... I don't know. Ubi are usually a solid lot when it comes to console-oriented games, so maybe Darksiders would be in good hands with them - though I have my doubts, considering Ubi's 'one game a year' practice for profitable franchises. However, they must not get their grubby hands on Dawn of War, whatever the cost. Please, just... no. No PC platform game should ever be handled by folks who apparently hired the Mad Hatter to come up with DRM schemes.

Oh, and FFS, stop slowing down the development process of BG&E2, people. I don't care about Rayman, and he's had a recent spot in the limelight - it's Jade's turn to shine again.

scorptatious:
snip

Me and my brother loved it too. Dammit Ubisoft, why are you giving me mixed signals like that?
I hope they have plans for a PC release or else i am gonna bitch about every chance i got.

Oh fuck off with that "so and so is slowing down B&G2" bollocks, they've been pulling that shit for about 3, maybe 4 years now is it? Jesus Christ.

Wait what they wanna buy TH- ...oh no.... OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I was already pissed off enough at THQ for the DLC bollocks and the other various fuckups of Saints Row 3, but it was still good. If those money grubbing, consumer hating twat pockets at Ubisoft acquire THQ its gonna become ten times worse! And this is coming from someone who's favourite series is Assassins Creed, and the reason I say this about ubisoft is because, without spoiling anything, the ending of AC3 was a copout cliffhanger piece of shit, made only so they could release AC4 and then maybe, maybe give us a definitive ending. Fuck!

What? A fantastic game is delaying another game with a cult following? Think of it from a buisnes standpoint. Rayman Origins did alright but was critically well received and Ubisoft is trying to get a monopoly on good third party games for the WiiU. Beyond Good and Evil also did critically well but sold even worse (comparatively speaking). Both have cult followings but people that are looking forward to the WiiU are also definitely looking forward to Legends because they grew up in the golden age of platforming. If the WiiU sells well, so will Rayman Legends.

Jandau:
Ubisoft buying THQ's stuff sounds terrible. Especially if they acquire Relic and its franchises (Dawn of War, Homeworld, etc.)...

Well, maybe they'll snag Voliton instead. Volition hates used sales and likes methods to make consumers pay them, and Unisoft loves ridiculous DRM measures.

I'd rather have Beyond Good and Evil 2. Rayman Origin is fantastic, but 2D platformers are a dime-a-dozen. Games like Beyond Good and Evil...not so much.

scorptatious:

I just wished Rayman Legends wasn't exclusive to the Wii U.

My brother and I loved Rayman Origins.

The way I see it, the Wii U's got Zombi U, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 to enjoy at or near launch, plus HD Zelda and Metroid to look forward to at some point in the future. Plus third party support that is actually not shit. Pretty sure I'm sorted for my next-gen console of choice, unless Microsoft or Sony can pull out a magic gamebox that laces videogames with LSD and sparkles.

Besides, I'm kind of digging what they're showing of the co-op mode. It looks like they've used the gamepad in a really cool way with how you can use Murph to manipulate the environment, but from gameplay footage, you can also use the Gamepad to just play as a regular character too. So it looks like the co-op from Origins, but way, way cooler. I'm happy with that.

Wait, is THQ gone already? Because everyone seems to be talking as if they were out of business already. That's bad, I was kinda looking forward to some of the games they were developing, like Company of Heroes 2 or that Metro game. Well, even if Ubisoft does buy all their IPs and Relic, that doesn't mean that they get to fuck with the DoW franchise. It's Games Workshop who holds the rights to the setting, and it's up to them to decide whether to work with Ubisoft or not.

Zhukov:

wombat_of_war:

Well, duh. It's not even out on PC yet, and they seem to have kicked the obnoxious DRM habit anyway.

Rayman VS BGAE2...

UM....

I rather take BGAE2. Rayman was a cool guy and also a pretty damn fantastic game back when I played it in ps1. But its time to evole-

That begin said, they NEED money from somewhere to make BGAE2, so I also rather want them to get the job done well with Rayman, and show Ubisoft good numbers...

I guess at the end both series can help each other out. Sort of...

Oh and about THQ.... I dont even know who that company is, someone cares enough to tell some games made by that dev?

FUCK YOU UBISOFT! Stay the fuck away from THQs shit. I will freaking anthrax your house!

It'll be an amusing way things end.

The French company Ubisoft buying out the American company THQ which owns the Canadian developer Relic which owns the gaming rights to the IP from the British Games Workshop.

aguspal:
Rayman VS BGAE2...

Oh and about THQ.... I dont even know who that company is, someone cares enough to tell some games made by that dev?

THQ is more of a publisher than a dev.

Published titles include:
Metro 2033
Dawn of War Series
Saints Row Series

The Devs that are under them include Relic (Dawn of War, Company of Heroes and Homeworld) and Volition.

Ed130:

aguspal:
Rayman VS BGAE2...

THQ is more of a publisher than a dev.

Published titles include:
Metro 2033
Dawn of War Series
Saints Row Series

The Devs that are under them include Relic (Dawn of War, Company of Heroes and Homeworld) and Volition.

ohhh....

Well I dont really care about any of those games so... I am like whatever...

Save Company of Heroes. Maybe. I think it was a decent game anyways.

I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Ubisoft has been making excuses for years as to why Beyond Good and Evil 2 is being delayed. So, from my perspective, this is just another bullshit excuse in a long line of bullshit excuses. No more or less valid than any before. (pardon my language)

Regardless, I'm still glad they're giving Michel Ancel creative freedom (mostly) as he works on the Rayman franchise. I adored Origins and look forward to playing Legends.

. . . . . . . . .

As for Ubisoft potentially buying THQ, despite a few reservations, I think I'm okay with the idea.

"Why", you ask? Well, acquiring THQ will mean they also acquire Relic. Now, given Ubisofts tendency to give PC gamers the middle finger, that could be a very bad thing. However, when I see that THQ has virtually no interest in letting Relic revive the Homeworld series, perhaps a change of publisher could help.

I know that, even if Ubisoft does buy-out THQ, the chances are still relatively low that Relic will be given the greenlight to bring back Homeworld. Like I said, Ubisoft sure does hate PC gamers and PC gaming, after all. But, there's still a chance. At least a better chance than with THQ retaining control.

So, if the price to see the return of the Homeworld series is the Ubisoft splash screen when I load up the game, I'm willing to pay.

Please, Lord, keep Ubisoft far the fuck away from the WWE video game license... Unless they're going to bring AKI back.

Em source? You'll have to forgive me for not taking everything I read on the internet as truth.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

But hey ho, opinions...

I'm not surprise, and I don't think it is surprise. It's just a number of us would rather have Beyond Good and Evil 2. It's disappointment, I guess. I liked Rayman Origins, but it really is hard to get excited for yet another 2D platformer. It feels like we've gotten more of those in the last couple years than we did in the entire NES-SNES era (probably not so. But there are lots of them).

Can`t believe that this should be the reason for the delay, sounds like a lame excuse. It looks more like they know that they can`t fullfill the hyped expectations after the last trailer (when was it out? Two years ago?) and that they are clueless what to do next. After all it seems the old trailer is everything they have. I lost interest a long time ago and it`s becomming more and more tired joke since this isn`t the first odd excuse they use for delivering nothing instead of saying it`s on ice but not dead.

OldDirtyCrusty:
Can`t believe that this should be the reason for the delay, sounds like a lame excuse. It looks more like they know that they can`t fullfill the hyped expectations after the last trailer (when was it out? Two years ago?) and that they are clueless what to do next. After all it seems the old trailer is everything they have. I lost interest a long time ago and it`s becomming more and more tired joke since this isn`t the first odd excuse they use for delivering nothing instead of saying it`s on ice but not dead.

So its basically becoming Duke nukem forever/Half life 3?

Well I guess it may just be around there.

OldDirtyCrusty:

Actually, Michel Ancel has repeatedly confirmed that he and his team have been working on-and-off on BG&E2 for the past few years. What happened was that they took a break to make Rayman Origins, and when that went on to receive universal acclaim (if not amazing sales), they felt the need to work on a sequel.

According to Google, the reason BG&E is taking so long is because the guys at Ubisoft are currently working on developing toolsets and techniques that allow smaller dev teams to be able to work on big games. If they manage to make that work, then that could be a huge step in streamlining game development, but obviously that would also take a lot of time and effort to be able to R&D.

And if that sounds unlikely, just remember that Rayman Origins was made by a team of about 5-6 people.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked