PSN update 4.31 breaking systems

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

This is a copy of my scatheing email to sony, of which I am sure I am not the only person who has expressed these types of frustration over the last two pathetic excuses that sony is calling firm ware updates.

"Sony, I have been with your company since the playstation 1, I owned the playstation 2, a psp, a vita, a playstation 2 slim, a ps3, a ps3 slim. I have bought over $2,000 in Playstation 2 games ALONE. I have nearly $1,500 in Play station 3 games. YOU, released an update that broke countless peoples systems, YOU released another update that broke MY system that I BOUGHT, and paid MY hard earned money for when the ps3 launched I bought it without hesitation. How can you possibly feel alright doing this? FIX IT, or I will take the thousands of dollars worth of sony stuff I have and throw it straight in the trash, if this problem is not fixed I WILL NOT BE BUYING THE PS4, I WILL TAKE MY BUISINESS TO MICROSOFT. I have been with this company through thick and thin, and countless mistakes on YOUR PART. I don't buy your products to be denied service.

Get your shit together sony, or I, and countless other customers will take our business else where.

Thank you, XXXXX."

I am very, VERY strongly considering getting another xbox, the saddest part is everything in that email is true.

Has anyone else had to deal with this crap?

Cool story bro. I'm on the other side of the fence. I just left Microshaft after my live account was hacked last year and over 300 dollars stolen from me and spent of FIFA 12. That is fucking bullshit. Sony got hacked but no one had money stolen from them. This is a rampant hack that isn't even trying to be stopped because EA has profited over 40 million dollars off of it from the Xbox breaches. My money was returned to me sure....after 3 months and my account being banned for as long. I got a year of live out of it too. yay......
Oh....it happened to my brothers account a few weeks later too lol. He had no money in his bank though so he didn't get robbed as much as me.

Couldn't be happier with moving to the ps3.

How DARE people make a mistake! This is an OUTRAGE! I am going to destroy THOUSANDS of DOLLARS of SONY products because SONY made a MISTAKE! You can tell I am ANGRY by all the CAPITALIZED words in my PARAGRAPHS. GRRRR!

Get some perspective. Yes, Sony screwed up. Yes, Sony may have bricked your system (or whatever the hell happened) and yes you deserve the problem to be fixed. But man, you need to grow up.

Supertegwyn:
How DARE people make a mistake! This is an OUTRAGE! I am going to destroy THOUSANDS of DOLLARS of SONY products because SONY made a MISTAKE! You can tell I am ANGRY by all the CAPITALIZED words in my PARAGRAPHS. GRRRR!

Get some perspective. Yes, Sony screwed up. Yes, Sony may have bricked your system (or whatever the hell happened) and yes you deserve the problem to be fixed. But man, you need to grow up.

Or you could stop giving the games industry a free pass on pulling crap. The OP has every right to be mad, Sony managed to screw up an update for an extremely limited range of hardware so bad that a significant portion of systems were bricked. With a target platform that limited, there's really no excuse. This isn't a windows update where there's an essentially infinite number of hardware configurations. This is one system with a few minor variations, so there's no excuse for not thoroughly testing it on all of them.

Edit: Mea Culpa, I got you conused with someone else. You're the one who was telling Americans to stop complaining about $60 games because Australians pay $100-$120, despite the higher Australian wages balancing things out, not one of the ones outright defending industry bullshit in that other thread. Still, going by this post and the one in the CNN thread, it seems like you've got something against people complaining, even when their complaints are valid. Not cool.

Was this the update to the store interface? It broke what didn't need fixing, and now I guess it literally broke stuff? After I got that update I was playing a game and my TV became messed up and has been unusable ever since like a week ago. I mentioned it here in a thread no one noticed.

So my PS3 still works, but if its a newer update, then I guess I'm glad my TV isn't working so that my ps3 didn't get messed up too. Well not really, but knowing my luck I'll have both of them bricked soon enough.

My TV is a Sony Bravia btw, so yeah totally just a coincidence right? Probably not.

Supertegwyn:

To be fair, when mistakes like this happen customers do need to express their displeasure or it will keep happening. A strong enough negative outcry will assuredly cause Sony to be more careful with future updates and if something they did (on purpose or not) is bricking systems they should sack up and get it fixed. Even it costs them big money they stand to lose a lot more if people leave them in droves after all. What will really kill a business is people who don't bother to complain and just switch quietly.

Personally, I would keep the profanity out and adopt a more professional tone though, I agree the OP's letter is a little too... intense. And I certainly would never trash all my perfectly fine PS2 games. Just trade in all the PS3 stuff towards something new !

Treeinthewoods:

Supertegwyn:

To be fair, when mistakes like this happen customers do need to express their displeasure or it will keep happening. A strong enough negative outcry will assuredly cause Sony to be more careful with future updates and if something they did (on purpose or not) is bricking systems they should sack up and get it fixed. Even it costs them big money they stand to lose a lot more if people leave them in droves after all. What will really kill a business is people who don't bother to complain and just switch quietly.

Personally, I would keep the profanity out and adopt a more professional tone though, I agree the OP's letter is a little too... intense. And I certainly would never trash all my perfectly fine PS2 games. Just trade in all the PS3 stuff towards something new !

Very true. This same scenario happened with my Wii.

Nintendo distributed an update that raised a false positive and bricked my completely legitimate, non-modded Wii.

I called them, they seriously tried to charge me 75 dollars to send it in to get fixed even after I explained the situation multiple times.

I feel like I should have made a really huge deal about it. Instead I let that be the straw the broke the camel's back and stopped supporting Nintendo quietly.

I say it's a good thing OP is making his problem known. It's not a sure thing that they understand their patch is a problem, as evidenced by Nintendo's bricking patch.

Well I for one am extremely glad I did not update!
I noticed the alert but then I thought to myself. "Hmmm, due to the crappy servers, this update will probably take at least half an hour, I think I'll ignore it until games start demanding I update"
Pretty ironic their terrible service actually saved my system from getting bricked.

How exactly is it broken? I've had endless problems with my ps3 from updating firmwire so might be able to help as I managed to fix mine. Also the safest way to update is always via usb.

Wait, what update are we talking about? Cause I haven't noticed anything fishy.

I have my PS3 back up its data automatically t a specific time of the day aand...I forget if it also updaed automatically (I doubt it). But I was playing Blops yesterday and today and I saw no message about needing an update or anything.

And Sony cares about your e-mail...why? It cares about you throwing out your thousands of dollars you spent on them, why? They already have that money from you anyway. You'd only be doing yourself a disservice by throwing it all away. Sure it kinda sucks that you won't be buying the PS4 like this, but really...they don't care that much at all.

Also, get some perspective dude. So the new update had a bug in it that they weren't able to catch beforehand. It can happen. Just wait it out for a little bit for them to fix it.

The problem is, the last 2 updates have been an attempt to fix things that were not actually broken. And now that they are bricking systems, or rendering people unable to play games that they rightfully own it's a joke. I have $200 wrapped up in Battlefield 3's online and I can't even finish a download to keep playing it online.

Beautiful End:
Wait, what update are we talking about? Cause I haven't noticed anything fishy.

I have my PS3 back up its data automatically t a specific time of the day aand...I forget if it also updaed automatically (I doubt it). But I was playing Blops yesterday and today and I saw no message about needing an update or anything.

You may not have a system that has been affected by this, but I searched for about an hour yesterday and found that there are ALOT of people who have been affected in the last couple days by this.

Mstroker:

I am very, VERY strongly considering getting another xbox

Which is silly, since Microsoft has had similar problems in the past. Lot of people threatened to switch to the PS3 then.

Zachary Amaranth:

Mstroker:

I am very, VERY strongly considering getting another xbox

Which is silly, since Microsoft has had similar problems in the past. Lot of people threatened to switch to the PS3 then.

I owned an Xbox 360 elite for about 3 years, and in those three years I never had a single problem, the customer support was good when I had issues, and they didn't try to fix things that wern't broken, the main reason I sold the xbox was that I wasn't down with paying for online service. Looking back on that I obviously made a mistake.

EDIT: By problem I mean anything actually serious

The only issue I had was not being smart enough to figure out how to link the Xbox into my computer through the router which was fixed by changing one setting

sanquin:
They already have that money from you anyway.

And they presumably want to continue getting your money.

Zachary Amaranth:

sanquin:

A company thrives on returning customers.

Mstroker:

I owned an Xbox 360 elite for about 3 years, and in those three years I never had a single problem, the customer support was good when I had issues, and they didn't try to fix things that wern't broken, the main reason I sold the xbox was that I wasn't down with paying for online service. Looking back on that I obviously made a mistake.

So you prefer to get a system that can be bricked by updates over another system that can be bricked by updates because one happened to you and the other didn't? Even though the other can still happen to you? Even though the customer service for a bricked console due to t heir error isn't likely to favour you?

Well, godspeed, I guess, but I'm sticking with "silly" here.

The XBox 360 is my primary gaming console, but still.

Mstroker:

Zachary Amaranth:

sanquin:

You mean like the ones that buy their 4th Xbox after another RROD.

I never said that I was for sure switching to xbox, but I'm pissed that as soon as I get my 10meg internet back and update everything (which was mandatory to play online) and it broke my system, From what I have been reading it's been two weeks and sony hasn't even acknowledged that there is a problem.

Verkula:

Mstroker:

Zachary Amaranth:

You mean like the ones that buy their 4th Xbox after another RROD.

Perhaps, but they are not buying new consoles generally when they get RROD.

Whoa, thank God I use Steam.

That sucks, man, and it also makes me wonder why Sony complains about people jailbreaking PS3's when Sony's just plain breaking them.

deathbydeath:
Whoa, thank God I use Steam.

That sucks, man, and it also makes me wonder why Sony complains about people jailbreaking PS3's when Sony's just plain breaking them.

I used to play games on steam alot, but due to uncontrollable circumstances I don't have a computer good enough to run anything any more... I miss Team Fortress 2 :(

Mstroker:
I never said that I was for sure switching to xbox, but I'm pissed that as soon as I get my 10meg internet back and update everything (which was mandatory to play online) and it broke my system, From what I have been reading it's been two weeks and sony hasn't even acknowledged that there is a problem.

According to Sony PlayStation Forums, an average of 4 consoles will get the hiccups and die from an update because of various reasons, the most common being turning the system off during the update. A full Google search showed 3 other people had the same problem.

While I'm sorry it happened, it wasn't really anyone's fault.

Keoul:
I noticed the alert but then I thought to myself. "Hmmm, due to the crappy servers, this update will probably take at least half an hour, I think I'll ignore it until games start demanding I update"
Pretty ironic their terrible service actually saved my system from getting bricked.

Same here.
It's pretty obvious that Sony isn't going to provide any useful updates (at this point it's always just a road-bump for hackers to deal with) for the PS3 so whenever I see one, I just don't bother updating. I play my games offline a few days just in case the update does what it did to the OP's ps3.
Hopefully they have a better tested update by the time the next Borderlands 2 dlc hits.

The problem is that Sony's support (if that's what you can call it) for the PS3 has been lame at best and is just one example of how they take their customers for granted. And that's a really stupid move on their part, they've sold far less ps3s than they did ps2s and it sounds like they will be selling even fewer ps4s. Actually, the 360 & ps3 are way behind the ps2 sales at this point in their respective cycles. So Sony & MS have to consider making the customer experience better or risk eventual irrelevance.

GonzoGamer:

Keoul:

Same here.
It's pretty obvious that Sony isn't going to provide any useful updates (at this point it's always just a road-bump for hackers to deal with) for the PS3 so whenever I see one, I just don't bother updating. I play my games offline a few days just in case the update does what it did to the OP's ps3.
Hopefully they have a better tested update by the time the next Borderlands 2 dlc hits.

The problem is that Sony's support (if that's what you can call it) for the PS3 has been lame at best and is just one example of how they take their customers for granted. And that's a really stupid move on their part, they've sold far less ps3s than they did ps2s and it sounds like they will be selling even fewer ps4s. Actually, the 360 & ps3 are way behind the ps2 sales at this point in their respective cycles. So Sony & MS have to consider making the customer experience better or risk eventual irrelevance.

and unfortunatley I may have to face switching to a PC if the sales declines continue, There is not a whole lot of reason for sony, microsoft, or any company for that matter to sell a failing product. not the kind of thing I had ever really seen myself doing

Mstroker:
snip

GonzoGamer:
Actually, the 360 & ps3 are way behind the ps2 sales at this point in their respective cycles. So Sony & MS have to consider making the customer experience better or risk eventual irrelevance.

Of course, the PS2 was the best selling home console* of all time, facing little competition (sorry but Gamecube and Xbox were not a threat to the PS2 at all).

This gen is a lot more like the 16 bit era in terms of competition in the market.

Here's some numbers for you:

16 bit era:
SNES (Super Famicom): 50 million units.
Genesis (Mega Drive): 40 million units.
TG16 (PC Engine): 10 million units.

Total: 100 million

Last Gen:
PS2: 150 million units
Xbox: 24 million units
Gamecube: 22 million units
Dreamcast: 11 million units

Total: 207 million

This gen:
VG CHARTZ
Wii: 97 million
360: 70 million
PS3: 68 million

Total 235 million

WIKI
360: 67 million
PS3: 70 million

Total: 234 million

If anything, total consoles sales are up. The console market is healthier than it's ever been... which completely defeats your argument.

*Nintendo DS is the highest selling console (including handhelds) of all time.

Sources:
http://www.vgchartz.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars

OP: I kind of feel your pain, but not for the reasons you think.
My PS3 is in repairs atm (local repair shop, out of warranty) as my bluray laser died. Of course, my PS3 sees heavy use, so I'm not surprised. I decided to repair as it's cheaper and I have a fat, backwards compatible, 80GB HDD (with 500 GB HDD added later) and therefore irreplaceable. Been playing some virtual console (Blaster Master, Super Metroid, Star Fox 64, LoZ:OoT, Ogre Battle 64) and PSP (Dissidia 012, Crisis Core, Disgaea, Blazing Souls: Accelate, P3P) while I wait for the part to arrive from the USA...

Supertegwyn:

The point is they shouldn't have made a mistake, any company that releases their own hardware and software is going to have a big testing/QA department, and is going to want to test any software update on all the hardware that it's going to be used on. This is Sony's fault for not testing it properly or not listening to the testers (the latter is most likely).

Esotera:

The point is they shouldn't have made a mistake, any company that releases their own hardware and software is going to have a big testing/QA department.....

And of course, his threat is to take his business to a competitor who has an even worse track record for hardware failure...

What exactly did the update even do? Apart from the generic term "broke", I can't find any mention of the impact in your OP, and honestly I can't see that Sony would really care about an e-mail like this, considering they probably get hate-mail like it every single day of the week.

Also, staying calm and collected, with proper descriptions of the issues you're having, when they started, and what you've done to try resolving the issue yourself, is usually a much better way to contact somebody than raging at them with Caps Lock and poorly structured paragraphs.

EDIT: Also, it's entirely possible that if this was the same PS3 you bought on launch, it just... died. It happens. My best friend bought a launch PS3, it died earlier this year when he tried launching up a game.

There really isn't an excuse for this; Consoles, including the PS3, are closed boxes - they know what's inside, they know how it acts, and they have sued people for opening it.

Firmware update bricking that closed box? Not okay.

s69-5:

Mstroker:
snip

GonzoGamer:
Actually, the 360 & ps3 are way behind the ps2 sales at this point in their respective cycles. So Sony & MS have to consider making the customer experience better or risk eventual irrelevance.

Of course, the PS2 was the best selling home console* of all time, facing little competition (sorry but Gamecube and Xbox were not a threat to the PS2 at all).

This gen is a lot more like the 16 bit era in terms of competition in the market.

Here's some numbers for you:

16 bit era:
SNES (Super Famicom): 50 million units.
Genesis (Mega Drive): 40 million units.
TG16 (PC Engine): 10 million units.

Total: 100 million

Last Gen:
PS2: 150 million units
Xbox: 24 million units
Gamecube: 22 million units
Dreamcast: 11 million units

Total: 207 million

This gen:
VG CHARTZ
360: 70 million
PS3: 68 million

Total 235 million

WIKI
360: 67 million
PS3: 70 million

Total: 234 million

If anything, total consoles sales are up. The console market is healthier than it's ever been... which completely defeats your argument.

*Nintendo DS is the highest selling console (including handhelds) of all time.

Sources:
http://www.vgchartz.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars

OP: I kind of feel your pain, but not for the reasons you think.
My PS3 is in repairs atm (local repair shop, out of warranty) as my bluray laser died. Of course, my PS3 sees heavy use, so I'm not surprised. I decided to repair as it's cheaper and I have a fat, backwards compatible, 80GB HDD (with 500 GB HDD added later) and therefore irreplaceable. Been playing some virtual console (Blaster Master, Super Metroid, Star Fox 64, LoZ:OoT, Ogre Battle 64) and PSP (Dissidia 012, Crisis Core, Disgaea, Blazing Souls: Accelate, P3P) while I wait for the part to arrive from the USA...

How so? I said that the PS3 & 360 are behind the PS2 in terms of sales and according to your data there, I'm correct.
Sure if you add the Wii (and yes everyone & their grandma has a wii), overall console sales are up but Nintendo has its own corner of the market that's not in direct competition in the same way the PS3 & 360 are.
My overall point was that while the PS3 & 360 are always trying to take customers from one another, they're kind of neglecting the actual customer. One offers crappy hardware with decent (but expensive) support while the other offers decent hardware with crappy (yet free) support. It's no wonder so many people just have the wii. On that tide, a console brand may survive, but we'll just be playing nintendo games on it.

s69-5:

Esotera:

The point is they shouldn't have made a mistake, any company that releases their own hardware and software is going to have a big testing/QA department.....

And of course, his threat is to take his business to a competitor who has an even worse track record for hardware failure...

You're right there, I don't think OP will be any happier with a 360.

I updated my PS3 long ago with v4.31 and I've not had any problems with it actually. *knock on wood*
Maybe your console just died of old age. How old is your PS3?

What is the problem. I haven't heard anything about this.

What's the problem? What on earth happened to your system? I've had 4.31 for awhile now and I have not faced any issues. I own the old fat bastard as well so I wouldn't be surprised if it just died on me one of these days.

Your email is in no way helpful or informative. You've capitalized some words and seem to be fairly pissed off. With that, how is Sony going to fix your problem?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked