PSN update 4.31 breaking systems

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I've never heard of this problem before, and an internet search didn't turn up much either. I think, "Cool Story Bro," is a pretty good response to this. It could be that your console just died. It sucks, but it happens.

GonzoGamer:

How so? I said that the PS3 & 360 are behind the PS2 in terms of sales and according to your data there, I'm correct.

But it's the wrong comparison to make. Which is my argument.
It's not a one-horse race like the PS2 so of course the highest selling console of all time wins...
The 16 bit era is a better (though still imperfect) comparison.

Sure if you add the Wii (and yes everyone & their grandma has a wii)

Everyone and their Mom had a PS2. Your point?

overall console sales are up but Nintendo has its own corner of the market that's not in direct competition in the same way the PS3 & 360 are.

Irrelevant. The PS2 cornered that market and those sales are included in the 150 million strong.

My overall point was that while the PS3 & 360 are always trying to take customers from one another, they're kind of neglecting the actual customer.

???
Explain as this is unclear.

On that tide, a console brand may survive, but we'll just be playing nintendo games on it.

Doomsday predictions are rarely (if ever) accurate.
Judging by the numbers, the same argument (a much stronger one actually) could be made that Sony would be the only survivor this gen. Of course that wasn't the case. It also won't be the case for the next gen.

To be honest, the numbers don't support your claim at all. We have three systems that have sold about 70 million + units! That's never happened before and is indicative of a healthy console market.

Mstroker:
/snip

Well done [sarcasm]

What on earth are you hoping to achieve with that letter? It will get trashed without second thought or passed around the office for a good giggle at your expense. If you wish to be heard, act like an adult. Do not swear. Do no be aggressive. Do not threaten. Do not be absurd. Be assertive. Be polite. Be clear and concise. Explain how you'd like the situation to be resolved and/or what they can do to help.

Ghostwise:
Cool story bro. I'm on the other side of the fence. I just left Microshaft after my live account was hacked last year and over 300 dollars stolen from me and spent of FIFA 12. That is fucking bullshit. Sony got hacked but no one had money stolen from them. This is a rampant hack that isn't even trying to be stopped because EA has profited over 40 million dollars off of it from the Xbox breaches. My money was returned to me sure....after 3 months and my account being banned for as long. I got a year of live out of it too. yay......

I got a year of live, but the 150 stolen from me never got returned. I still have my 360 (though it hasn't been played in a long time) and while I might pick up the rare game for it, I'll never spend so much as another penny on XBL. I think my Gold will run out soon and I certainly won't pay for it.

Anyone who stores or associates any of their financial details (such as CCs or Paypal) with an XBL account, don't.

GoaThief:

Mstroker:
/snip

Well done [sarcasm]

What on earth are you hoping to achieve with that letter? It will get trashed without second thought or passed around the office for a good giggle at your expense. If you wish to be heard, act like an adult. Do not swear. Do no be aggressive. Do not threaten. Do not be absurd. Be assertive. Be polite. Be clear and concise. Explain how you'd like the situation to be resolved and/or what they can do to help.

I would pay close attention to this poster OP. From a customer service standpoint, the customers who are able to effectively communicate their problem, as well as what they would like done to resolve it, are the customers who tend to be helped. Many customer service jobs have a rule where if the customer starts cursing, the customer is no longer helped. The CCP is just doing a job, and they do not have to put up with be harassed, and that is exactly what your cursing accomplishes.

Another thing, do not give ultimatums. That will make the CCP view you as a lost cause. That means that you aren't expected to stay with the company much longer anyway, and as such, you are not a priority to take care of.

Your best best is to write a new letter apologizing for you attitude saying you were very upset at the time. Then go on to elaborate on the actual situation, such as what exactly has happened and what you have tried to resolve it. I won't guarantee that you will get the help you want, but you are far more likely to.

KoudelkaMorgan:
Was this the update to the store interface? It broke what didn't need fixing, and now I guess it literally broke stuff? After I got that update I was playing a game and my TV became messed up and has been unusable ever since like a week ago. I mentioned it here in a thread no one noticed.

So my PS3 still works, but if its a newer update, then I guess I'm glad my TV isn't working so that my ps3 didn't get messed up too. Well not really, but knowing my luck I'll have both of them bricked soon enough.

My TV is a Sony Bravia btw, so yeah totally just a coincidence right? Probably not.

Is your TV working again?

I used to have my PS3 plugged into a Samsung HDTV monitor and because I had it connected via HDMI, the TV would turn on every time I turned my PS3 on. Actually, it would change from the last mode I had the TV on (say, OTA HDTV) and switch it to HDMI. I'm guessing it's has something to do with DLNA. I thought it was a neat feature, but ultimately it's kind of useless. I can turn my TV on all by myself, thanks.

I'm really curious about your TV though. Gotta be the first time I heard of an external device messing with a TV.

In regards to the thread, I recently did a system update less than a week ago (self-upgraded HDD, PS3 Slim) and just now did the PSN Store update and things went fine. I hate feeling it's a crap shoot every time I update.

Supertegwyn:
How DARE people make a mistake! This is an OUTRAGE! I am going to destroy THOUSANDS of DOLLARS of SONY products because SONY made a MISTAKE! You can tell I am ANGRY by all the CAPITALIZED words in my PARAGRAPHS. GRRRR!

Get some perspective. Yes, Sony screwed up. Yes, Sony may have bricked your system (or whatever the hell happened) and yes you deserve the problem to be fixed. But man, you need to grow up.

Only a gamer would excuse a company who destroyed their property. You would never just give it a pass if it was a car , a home, or even a bloody toaster.

With that said, his ragey email gives us no context. We don't know what happened. Is his system actually bricked because of the firmware update? Cause I don't care how big of an apologist you are, they just ruined a pretty expensive appliance. That is not okay.

Mstroker:
SNIP

Really?

Ahem.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

That is on behalf of every customer service rep that respond to e-mails.

Zachary Amaranth:

Mstroker:

I am very, VERY strongly considering getting another xbox

Which is silly, since Microsoft has had similar problems in the past. Lot of people threatened to switch to the PS3 then.

Try also searching for evidence the world is flat... I bet you'll find some.

Rancid0ffspring:

Zachary Amaranth:

Mstroker:

I am very, VERY strongly considering getting another xbox

Which is silly, since Microsoft has had similar problems in the past. Lot of people threatened to switch to the PS3 then.

Try also searching for evidence the world is flat... I bet you'll find some.

It's remarkably difficult to prove to crazy people that other planets exist.

For instance, lets say I started a fox news show and told everyone that Saturn and beyond are all fabrications.

Presumably given how many people bought end of the world kits, I could get a pretty strong following.

Sure, the government says satellites have passed these places, but they also covered up aliens man.

Aliens.

Those planets are just fabrications to hide the fact that we are right beside a bunch of aliens.

s69-5:
mano menop

Here's my perspective on it.
Sony has lost a lot of customers since last generation.
If they don't make it worth it for consumers to buy their product, they will sell fewer PS4s than they did PS3s and probably end up like Sega.

Just you know OP you won't get anywhere with an e-mail like that cause the person who reads it is going to look at it and go i'm not paid enough to deal with people like that and move on so they don't get any abuse from you, remember the people you are contacting are not responsible for the failure of your console.

Mstroker:

Beautiful End:
Wait, what update are we talking about? Cause I haven't noticed anything fishy.

I have my PS3 back up its data automatically t a specific time of the day aand...I forget if it also updaed automatically (I doubt it). But I was playing Blops yesterday and today and I saw no message about needing an update or anything.

You may not have a system that has been affected by this, but I searched for about an hour yesterday and found that there are ALOT of people who have been affected in the last couple days by this.

Wow...then I was REALLY lucky! I have a fat 60gb PS3 and I'm broke.
The gods smiled upon me. Thank you for the info, good sir/ma'am!

Okay, your rage is justified if a little crude for my tastes but you haven't actually detailed the problem you are having. Besides 'not working/firmware issue'. Is it an error? Is the machine not even switching on? Do you pause a certain screen? Or are games failing to play? Lack of internet connectivity, WHAT EXACTLY!? Online console gaming you have to understand is still in it's awkward puberty, there are still hundreds of things that go wrong, even on Xbox Live, Steam and Wii. It's not a perfect service including the firmware updates (and if you think the other consoles/PC are any better off think again.).

Feedback needs to be laced with emotion not just PURE EMOTION GIVE ME RETRIBUTION.

...It's the difference between engaging the Hulk in a conversation and Bruce Banner. One of them is going to give the response you likely need. Take a gander at which.

If you cannot channel your frustrations into productive reasonable coherency, then you're never going to get the responses and help to fix the problem. Just a computer generated response likely.

So reword it, or google the problem and enter in a forum discussion where you're certain Sony can actually see it, or sit tight and welcome to the world of internet game systems, where the roulette of 'functioning system' has ceased to smile on you today, sorry and try tomorrow.

Sylveria:

Supertegwyn:
How DARE people make a mistake! This is an OUTRAGE! I am going to destroy THOUSANDS of DOLLARS of SONY products because SONY made a MISTAKE! You can tell I am ANGRY by all the CAPITALIZED words in my PARAGRAPHS. GRRRR!

Get some perspective. Yes, Sony screwed up. Yes, Sony may have bricked your system (or whatever the hell happened) and yes you deserve the problem to be fixed. But man, you need to grow up.

Only a gamer would excuse a company who destroyed their property. You would never just give it a pass if it was a car , a home, or even a bloody toaster.

Because if a car or a home dies, then I'm out my principal means of transport to my job, or my fucking home. If my Ps3 dies, I send it to the shop for a bit then get right back to playing it.

And if a manufacturer does something that wrong to my toaster, my house will burn down, entering similar problems to the above.

A better example is "if my massage chair broke, I would get slightly miffed, then get it repaired and move on with my life, especially if everyone told me it broke because it was my fault:".

deathbydeath:
Whoa, thank God I use Steam.

High Fivez! No but seriously, I can't remember the last time I read an article which was "consoles, so damned inexpensive and easy to use, and nothing ever goes wrong".

Which are the exact arguments I hear thrown at me when I talk about PC gaming being king.

You're threatening Sony. I don't know how many letters you've written to companies, or individuals but unless you just kidnapped someone threats aren't the best way to get them to what you want, it tends to make people dislike you. On top of that, unless you have some power in the situation your threats are laughable and a single individual does not have any power here. If you got a big boycott together you might have some weight but as an individual you really don't. On top of that, noting how much you've already given them doesn't establish you as a valued costumer, it makes you look like the whinny internet fanboys who complain and threaten but then go and buy the thing anyways.

On top of all that, Sony did not intentionally do this. No company would intentionally ruin there own system, as it would destroy their own income flow. I'm sure they want this fixed just as badly as you do.

On top of all that, your overall post strikes me as being intentionally overblown with its complaints and ignorance of the issue. I'd use the T-word, that is used to describe people on the internet who try and get your goat, but its not allowed so I'll just say I think you're pulling my leg and you know exactly what's going on.

So what's the deal? Is Sony not offering to repair or replace the systems they bricked?

Mangles69:
bahhaahhahaha

PS3 users...srsly.

Nintendo/Microsoft 4 lyfe!

You are aware that trolling is against the rules right?

OT: That sucks OP. I hope this gets resolved for you. It's good that you are bringing this to their attention but you should probably try having a less rage filled email because the customer service people are most likely going to ignore this. Although, I guess if a lot of their customers rage like this, they won't be able to ignore it and like you said, this has happened to quite a few people.

I am glad that I plan to get a WiiU to supplement Steam on my computer now. Nintendo have not screwed me over like that.

mew4ever23:
There really isn't an excuse for this; Consoles, including the PS3, are closed boxes - they know what's inside, they know how it acts, and they have sued people for opening it.

Firmware update bricking that closed box? Not okay.

That right there covers it. I can actually see being able to make a case for a massive class action suit against Microsoft and Sony over this exact issue.

GonzoGamer:

s69-5:
mano menop

Here's my perspective on it.
Sony has lost a lot of customers since last generation.
If they don't make it worth it for consumers to buy their product, they will sell fewer PS4s than they did PS3s and probably end up like Sega.

Now that's using the data somewhat properly.

It ignores several factors like better competition, the high price point early on, the rise of "casual" gaming and the economic downturn, but it's a start.

I doubt anyone would believe that Sony could maintain the unbelievable level of sales the PS2 achieved. But maybe 70 million is a bit of a disappointment seeing as how by most accounts, they are running a close third.

Then again, since 2009 (the price drop) the PS3 is the best selling console worldwide and has gained considerable ground in terms of sales when compared to their closest competitor (who had a year head start and floundered in all markets but North America since 2009). By most accounts, the PS3 will probably end up second behind the Wii, with the 360 running a close third.

Next gen will be about several factors. Customer service is only one.

Edit: And no, this Sony situation is not the same as Sega's.
After the Genesis (40 million), the Saturn didn't break 10 million units and the Dreamcast barely made that amount. That's abysmal.

It's not even as bad as Nintendo's N64 (33 million) and Gamecube (22 million).

70 million units (and counting) is respectable.

I have not had a single problem with my PS3 since buying it. I used to be an Xbox fanboy, back in the day, but when I looked at my options of either a 360 or a PS3, the PS3 was just a better choice for me. I loved it since day 1.

Now, seriously, if you are throwing all your Sony stuff away, can I have it?

Ghostwise:
Cool story bro. I'm on the other side of the fence. I just left Microshaft after my live account was hacked last year and over 300 dollars stolen from me and spent of FIFA 12. That is fucking bullshit. Sony got hacked but no one had money stolen from them. This is a rampant hack that isn't even trying to be stopped because EA has profited over 40 million dollars off of it from the Xbox breaches. My money was returned to me sure....after 3 months and my account being banned for as long. I got a year of live out of it too. yay......
Oh....it happened to my brothers account a few weeks later too lol. He had no money in his bank though so he didn't get robbed as much as me.

Couldn't be happier with moving to the ps3.

Welcome to Superiority brother.

Now we just have to work on you and the PC... lol.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Supertegwyn:

Or you could stop giving the games industry a free pass on pulling crap. The OP has every right to be mad, Sony managed to screw up an update for an extremely limited range of hardware so bad that a significant portion of systems were bricked. With a target platform that limited, there's really no excuse. This isn't a windows update where there's an essentially infinite number of hardware configurations. This is one system with a few minor variations, so there's no excuse for not thoroughly testing it on all of them.

Edit: Mea Culpa, I got you conused with someone else. You're the one who was telling Americans to stop complaining about $60 games because Australians pay $100-$120, despite the higher Australian wages balancing things out, not one of the ones outright defending industry bullshit in that other thread. Still, going by this post and the one in the CNN thread, it seems like you've got something against people complaining, even when their complaints are valid. Not cool.

Releasing an update which they weren't aware was faulty =/= pulling crap.

If they were pulling crap then it would be breaking everyone's systems to be pricks, but it was an accident. Sure the OP can be mad if he wants, but it's not really warranted and is a bit mellow dramatic in my opinion.

This is kind of childish. Threatening Sony with throwing away the products you already paid for isn't really their concern at all. If anything it's better for them because that's one PS3 or whatever else you have that won't be resold to take away from their profits. Additionally, as someone else stated before, Microsoft has an even worse track record for shitty hardware. One youtuber I follow had been through literally 7 Xboxs at the time of his video, and that was posted back in 2010. He also decided to use one of his many bricked Xboxs as a space heater, and it actually heated the room up a solid 15 F. So yeah. Hopefully Sony can fix the problem. Doesn't seem like you're the only one with a problem like this, but it doesn't seem all that universal or widespread.

Mstroker:
The problem is, the last 2 updates have been an attempt to fix things that were not actually broken. And now that they are bricking systems, or rendering people unable to play games that they rightfully own it's a joke. I have $200 wrapped up in Battlefield 3's online and I can't even finish a download to keep playing it online.

They're bricking systems that are hacked and even issued a warning for it. So how do we know you're not one of these people with a hacked system or software and are just pissed because you got caught?

I've seen people do this before.

Why would they care what you do with your systems after you buy them? It doesn't matter to them if you throw away the thousands of dollars worth of Sony products you've bought over the years, they already have the money.

Girl With One Eye:
How exactly is it broken? I've had endless problems with my ps3 from updating firmware so might be able to help as I managed to fix mine. Also the safest way to update is always via usb.

It's the new store. The app that opens it can also brick your PS3. As far as I can tell it's completely random. Also the new store is a pain in the ass.

A Smooth Criminal:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Supertegwyn:

Or you could stop giving the games industry a free pass on pulling crap. The OP has every right to be mad, Sony managed to screw up an update for an extremely limited range of hardware so bad that a significant portion of systems were bricked. With a target platform that limited, there's really no excuse. This isn't a windows update where there's an essentially infinite number of hardware configurations. This is one system with a few minor variations, so there's no excuse for not thoroughly testing it on all of them.

Edit: Mea Culpa, I got you conused with someone else. You're the one who was telling Americans to stop complaining about $60 games because Australians pay $100-$120, despite the higher Australian wages balancing things out, not one of the ones outright defending industry bullshit in that other thread. Still, going by this post and the one in the CNN thread, it seems like you've got something against people complaining, even when their complaints are valid. Not cool.

Releasing an update which they weren't aware was faulty =/= pulling crap.

If they were pulling crap then it would be breaking everyone's systems to be pricks, but it was an accident. Sure the OP can be mad if he wants, but it's not really warranted and is a bit mellow dramatic in my opinion.

They pulled crap by not thoroughly testing it on all (official; if the OP is running an aftermarket hard drive or something without telling us, that's a different kettle of fish) versions of the PS3. There's, what, six, counting variations in hard drive size? 12, tops? There's no excuse for having that major of a problem with that limited of a target platform. Especially not when the "versions" are all the same system with extremely minor variations. And anyway, that's not why my post was so hostile. It came off as hostile because I was thinking he was one of the many people on this site who defend the industry pretty much no matter what they do, like that guy in the thread about Sony's reaction to people running homebrew on their systems who was taking the industry line about how you can't own a copy of software, how it has to be licensed. You spend enough time explaining in to people in detail how and why that kind of thing is not only wrong, but against their own best interests as consumers and an attack on their basic rights of ownership, and you start to lose patience with people coming in and spouting the same old lines.

Heck, even though he's /not/ one of the ones directly saying that stuff, this post shows a pretty similar attitude towards it.

Huh. I haven't noticed any updates and I was on PSN just last night getting my Final Fantasy IX download started. Never knew about this problem until just now. Now I'll refrain from making updates until I know which way is up.

Hmm. I thought that 4.31 was a completely optional update that was just there to fix some mess with one game(Monster Hunter if I recall correctly).

Owyn_Merrilin:

Supertegwyn:

Yes, he has every right to be mad. That is true. And I too would be mad if my Playstation bricked up and I could not use it. But I would not rant and rave, threaten to destroy thousands of dollars of electronics, or change to a console with an even worse track record for failure.

I have nothing against complaining, I just don't like people whining.

Although I do suppose I came off a bit harsher than I meant to be, and for that I apologize.

Esotera:

Supertegwyn:

The point is they shouldn't have made a mistake, any company that releases their own hardware and software is going to have a big testing/QA department, and is going to want to test any software update on all the hardware that it's going to be used on. This is Sony's fault for not testing it properly or not listening to the testers (the latter is most likely).

They shouldn't have made a mistake, but the email does nothing to help matters. He is not complaining about this, he is whining.

Treeinthewoods:

Supertegwyn:

To be fair, when mistakes like this happen customers do need to express their displeasure or it will keep happening. A strong enough negative outcry will assuredly cause Sony to be more careful with future updates and if something they did (on purpose or not) is bricking systems they should sack up and get it fixed. Even it costs them big money they stand to lose a lot more if people leave them in droves after all. What will really kill a business is people who don't bother to complain and just switch quietly.

Personally, I would keep the profanity out and adopt a more professional tone though, I agree the OP's letter is a little too... intense. And I certainly would never trash all my perfectly fine PS2 games. Just trade in all the PS3 stuff towards something new !

Yeah, you raise a good point. I do agree that it was a very stupid move on Sony's part, but this email is way too exaggerated. Hopefully the problem will be fixed soon.

*shrug* Feel for ya, bro, but 4.31 didn't give me any issues, and mine is an old fat model.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked